What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Burger King Using Depression As Marketing Tool? - Your Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Your Take On This?

• I like it - Raising Awareness

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I don't like it - Using Depression to sell hamburgers

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
People are going to complain about everything no matter what.

Burger King does nothing for mental health awareness they get ripped

Burger King tries to do something by pairing with another company to raise awareness they get ripped. 

Good for them for at least Trying to do something.

Long ago and a time far far away many in this industry would shun a suggestion to use this advertisement strategy with many broken ashtrays and empty bourbon bottles broken over that idiot. I miss those days. I do not like this at all. How about the like meal? Based on how many likes you have a discount will be applied? Now that makes sense! 

I suppose I’ll defer to the MHA as to the favorabilty of the partnership and campaign; they obviously found value in it.  That said, and with a wife who has experienced mental health battles, it feels ineffective in messaging

Long ago and a time far far away many in this industry would shun a suggestion to use this advertisement strategy with many broken ashtrays and empty bourbon bottles broken over that idiot. I miss those days. I do not like this at all. How about the like meal? Based on how many likes you have a discount will be applied? Now that makes sense! 
Don Draper basically tore this picth up when they suggested the Licky Strike campaign should be centered around a death wish. To be fair though,  Don’s counter was “it’s  toasted” which is basically what Burger King has been using for years with their “flame broiled” line. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a fully-functional empathy meter as it is. I was unable to tell from this video that it was aiming somehow to depict mental illness as opposed to depicting people going through difficult life circumstances.

[scooter], while your points are taken ... I had thought one of the tenets of mental illness was that like any disease, it really can happen to anyone of any circumstance. That makes the visual shorthand of conflating prosaic hard times with mental illness somewhat clunky. The charmed-life trust-fund guy with severe clinical depression ... harder to make compelling in video form?
As far as I can tell, the campaign is aligned with mental health awareness, not just dealing with stress.

Burger King tries to do something by pairing with another company to raise awareness they get ripped. 

I don’t think anyone expects Burger King to be involved in mental health awareness.

You have really heard a person complain  that Burger King wasn’t doing enough for mental health? I mean outside of their food being bad for you. 

I suppose I’ll defer to the MHA as to the favorabilty of the partnership and campaign; they obviously found value in it.  That said, and with a wife who has experienced mental health battles, it feels ineffective in messaging
Certainly feels like an excuse to be edgy (DGAF Butger?), get lots of attention and get in a dig at McDonalds.

You have really heard a person complain  that Burger King wasn’t doing enough for mental health? I mean outside of their food being bad for you. 
You are right--completely right.

I grew up watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon. We would get our pennies together and donate. As kids. we really felt like we did something. The excitement came when Jerry would change the numbers over to another  million and the crowd went wild. The big companies would come on and give Jerry the big checks and no one said well 7-11 or Anheuser Busch are just giving those checks so people will consume their product.

That's what we have here. People are going to eat at Burger King--that is a given. if one person benefits from this campaign, it is awesome.

This is a serious, way under-reported and under financed, problem in this country (and one that hits close to home). Any company willing to step up and help at all is appreciated, IMO.  

You are right--completely right.

I grew up watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon. We would get our pennies together and donate. As kids. we really felt like we did something. The excitement came when Jerry would change the numbers over to another  million and the crowd went wild. The big companies would come on and give Jerry the big checks and no one said well 7-11 or Anheuser Busch are just giving those checks so people will consume their product.

That's what we have here. People are going to eat at Burger King--that is a given. if one person benefits from this campaign, it is awesome.

This is a serious, way under-reported and under financed, problem in this country (and one that hits close to home). Any company willing to step up and help at all is appreciated, IMO.  
I’m not sure maybe you know, how much is BK giving to mental health wth this campaign?

I voted - on the fence. 

Being diagnosed with bipolar, I always welcome added awareness and reduced stigmatization. 

However, I am not sure how effective this is. I need to think about it more. 

Love the shtick here too. Humor is the way I like to expand awareness and keep my own mood light and in perspective. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread