What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrible optics for Boston Red Sox visit to White House: every white player is going; every black and Hispanic player (except for Cuban JD Martinez) i (1 Viewer)

To the best of my knowledge none of the players have publicly stated a reason for not going. Only Cora (the manager) who is not going because he doesn't approve of the way Trump handled the hurricanes in Puerto Rico. Frankly I think that's the wrong way to go about it.

One thing we know about Trump is that he listens to celebrities. Sometimes it's even productive. The fact of the matter is Kim Kardashian and Donald Trump have done more for criminal justice reform in this country than Obama ever did. (There's a sentence I never imagined I would write).

Cora could have gone to the White House and used his face time with the President to advocate for Puerto Rico. Not going to the White House is counter-productive.

To the best of my knowledge none of the players have publicly stated a reason for not going. Only Cora (the manager) who is not going because he doesn't approve of the way Trump handled the hurricanes in Puerto Rico. Frankly I think that's the wrong way to go about it.

One thing we know about Trump is that he listens to celebrities. Sometimes it's even productive. The fact of the matter is Kim Kardashian and Donald Trump have done more for criminal justice reform in this country than Obama ever did. (There's a sentence I never imagined I would write).

Cora could have gone to the White House and used his face time with the President to advocate for Puerto Rico. Not going to the White House is counter-productive.
I think you make a very good point here. I'm not sure I agree, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Do better on your standard for "interesting"
I don't need to. The board does it for me.

Sometimes I start threads that nobody finds interesting other than me. When that happens, they die very quick deaths. This thread has a lot of responses, so I know that other people find it interesting as well.  I'm sorry you don't, but why are you wasting your valuable time complaining about it?

Trump “listens” to celebrities that tell him what he wants to hear or are loyal to him.

Im having a had time imagining that Cora (who Trump probably never heard of before this week) would be able to change Trump’s mind.

I don't need to. The board does it for me.

Sometimes I start threads that nobody finds interesting other than me. When that happens, they die very quick deaths. This thread has a lot of responses, so I know that other people find it interesting as well.  I'm sorry you don't, but why are you wasting your valuable time complaining about it?
Great question...have no idea.  No of those days I guess :shrug:  

Trump “listens” to celebrities that tell him what he wants to hear or are loyal to him.

Im having a had time imagining that Cora (who Trump probably never heard of before this week) would be able to change Trump’s mind.
If that was me, I go, I state my case, on PR, if given the chance. If I didn't like him as POTUS and he gave a rats ### about what I said, I use that to help get him ousted as POTUS. You really cannot lose. If he says he's gonna do more, you got him saying that and by the time the election comes around, if nothing has changed, you sue it against him.

An opportunity lost, but then these guys are not exactly geniuses.

Did you see him joking about shooting refugees last night? To hell with that mess. 

It implies some level of tacit acceptance. I'd have went and visited Bush even though I disagreed with him. 

This guy? no. 
What part of respecting the office but not respecting him don’t you understand?

What part of respecting the office but not respecting him don’t you understand?
I just reject your paradigm I guess. 

There's nothing respectable about the office right now. And he's doing the disrespecting. 

Why wouldn't you hold him to a higher standard than the second string catcher for the Red sox?  

57% of Americans believe Trump is a racist. Nearly 90% of blacks believe Trump is a racist.

https://1069thefox.com/news/030030-poll-most-americans-say-trump-is-racist/

Now that doesn't make them right and you wrong. But if blacks honestly believe this, how can you blame them for not wanting to meet with him? Would you be willing to meet with a President that you honestly believed was bigoted against you?
I understand your point and if I felt someone was a terrible person I would not like to meet with them.  However, I would never turn down a trip to the White House whoever is President.  I thought Obama was a terrible President but I would have attended.  Could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

You may be right, but I don't see the harm in trying.

timschochet said:
I disagree with Blutarsky on this, but he didn't write anything like that, and you're being a little over the top here, don't you think?
Yeah maybe. But I watch this guy tear down everyone and everybuddy who doesn't grovel to him. And ballpayers gotta "take the hgh road"? Shake hands, give him a jersey, smile for the cameras? Gross.

We are watching an obscenity scar our country but the poor office needs some respect. 

Please. It makes me crazy.   

What? Who am I judging here, other than the President?
Knowing your stances and history of posts, sure some of the judgement may go to Trump, but I feel you have some thoughts about any players, in this case white players, going to the white house, and in turn appearing to support Trump with their attendance.

They are.

But notice I didn't refer to him as Curt Schilling or John Rocker. That's pretty low.
You said you didn’t judge anyone other than the President. That was incorrect. Not to mention the massive broad generalizations you make in other threads. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing your stances and history of posts, sure some of the judgement may go to Trump, but I feel you have some thoughts about any players, in this case white players, going to the white house, and in turn appearing to support Trump with their attendance.
I'm not critical of their decision to go to the White House. I don't like the way it looks, that only white players are going, that's why I started the thread. But I have no criticism of those who decided to go, or those who chose not to go.

I DID express concern in general about how, IMO, many white people who support Trump are insensitive to how persons of color feel about his bigotry towards them. These white supporters are mostly not bigoted themselves, but they simply don't see Trump's bigotry as that big an issue (or, like Don't Noonan, they simply deny it exists against a ton of evidence.) These attitudes bother me.

You said you didn’t judge anyone other than the President. That’s was incorrect. Not to mention the massive broad generalizations you make in other threads. 
Being critical of somebody's opinions is not really a judgment. I reserve judgment for actions, not opinions.

I try not to generalize about broads.  Gets me into trouble.

The story should be that the President of the United States has shown such disdain for minorities and where they or their ancestors come from that they refuse to be in his presence even if it means risking their careers.

McJose said:
Just noodling here but...

If I found out that a large number of non-white students (and/or their parents) at my school didn’t want to be in my class I’d have to take a long, hard look at myself.   And I probably wouldn’t start complaining about how they “don’t respect teachers”.
From what I can gather, the students would have to post it on FBG or you'd never see it

:oldunsure:

Tim Thomas of the Bruins skipped the WH visit when Obama was president, due to political beliefs.  I don't recall how much of a big deal it was, just that I was aware of it.

Tim Thomas of the Bruins skipped the WH visit when Obama was president, due to political beliefs.  I don't recall how much of a big deal it was, just that I was aware of it.
I don't know how it played nationally but a lot of people here in Boston absolutely killed him. Most of those same people are now praising Cora and company for skipping the visit.

Users who are viewing this thread