What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadnaming And Responsibility (1 Viewer)

Should Deadnaming Somebody Result In Banning From Social Media Platforms?

• Yes

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Depends

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
Why not just tell them you don't feel comfortable doing it and that you don't want to.  If they get upset then it is now their problem and not yours.  They don't have the right to force you to do anything you don't like just like you don't have the right to force them.  It works both ways.
that is what would happen I imagine - i have no desire to hurt anyones feelings nor do I think they would try mine

but this is a hypothetical forum/board questioning

at least you're honest in your inability to call things equally

a person can demand I call them something I do not want to nor feel honest in doing and that makes ME the jerk. Their demands on me and their labeling and judging of me .... that doesn't make them a jerk or bullying at all 

you need to think about all that IMO .... we just disagree on forcing someone to do something they don't want to do I guess
No, we don't.  I don't believe that person has any right to force you to do anything.  But I think that refusing to honor a request to call someone what they want to be called is unreasonable and jerkish.  I do not believe that asking someone to call you a name that you've chosen does make you a jerk.  

No one is forcing you to do anything.

that is what would happen I imagine - i have no desire to hurt anyones feelings nor do I think they would try mine

but this is a hypothetical forum/board questioning
I don't like being forced to do what makes me uncomfortable either so I know what you're saying.

I don't believe that person has any right to force you to do anything.  But I think that refusing to honor a request to call someone what they want to be called is unreasonable
why isn't it unreasonable for them to ask me to call them something I don't want to ?

I didn't say I was not going to treat someone with kindness - did I ?

Its an intentional for a trans (to be a jerk) to demand I call them something I don't want to isn't it ?

DO NOT FORCE ME TO DO SOMETHING I DON"T WANT TO DO      it's bullying, its rude, its being a jerk ....  I'm not going to call a man a woman or a woman a man .... I won't call a dog a cat, a child an adult or a Ford a Dodge

Sorry, I'm not going to do it.  
Yes, by not doing the simple gesture of calling someone by the name they wish to be called, you are not treating them with kindness.

And why are you yelling at me?

why isn't it unreasonable for them to ask me to call them something I don't want to ?
Stealthy, I realize this is falling on deaf ears and you feel the way you do with no intentions of changing. And that’s your right. As has been said time and time again here that no one is forcing you to make that change. But you open yourself up to judgment in doing so.

For example like I stated earlier if you (anyone) decided to use the N-word when addressing a black man or woman because you believe that what you want to call them and you don’t want to be forced to call them something else, you’re going to be judged in doing that. It’s certainly you’re right, and no ones forcing you not to. But the rest of the world will find it jerk-ish and judge you on that.  

When you’re living in a society with other people it’s not always about what you want. There are basic norms and standards that we adhere to. The basic courtesy of allowing someone to be called the name that they would like to be called is one of those. 

Because people get to define themselves on their own terms.  If a married woman takes her husband's name and her family will only call her by her maiden name, who's being the jerk? I would say it's the family, not the wife.  Same concept.

Yes, by not doing the simple gesture of calling someone by the name they wish to be called, you are not treating them with kindness.

And why are you yelling at me?
not yelling at you - emphasizing for all 

wouldn't kindness also be them not labeling me, name calling me and judging me for not wanting to agreeing with what they're wanting ?

When you’re living in a society with other people it’s not always about what you want.
doesn't that apply to the trans person who wants people to call/recognize what they want?  why is it all about them ?

Because people get to define themselves on their own terms.  If a married woman takes her husband's name and her family will only call her by her maiden name, who's being the jerk? I would say it's the family, not the wife.  Same concept.
sure they can - they cannot tell others though in a demanding way to recognize that self-definition

I'm sorry - they don't 

Last edited by a moderator:
doesn't that apply to the trans person who wants people to call/recognize what they want?  why is it all about them ?

sure they can - they cannot tell others though in a demanding way to recognize that self-definition

I'm sorry - they don't 
Yes, they can.  They can demand until they're blue in the face.  You don't have to honor that, but they can.  And they can tell you if you don't want to call them by their name that you don't call them anything at all.  A woman can tell her family "if you won't recognize I'm his wife using his name, then I don't ever want to speak to you again."

Just so I'm clear. If Ken wants to be a woman and wants you to call her Karen, it's my choice what I call her? If a man was named Karen, what do I call him?

Is this about the name or the reason? 

If Ken changes his name to Carl, that's okay. I'll call him Carl?

Stealthy I’m gonna tap out again. The question you continue to ask has been answered articulately and correctly by multiple people here multiple times.  I don’t believe you’re asking this question in good faith, meaning you’re actually looking for an answer.

Again my best goes out to you in your difficult times and I hope for you a better road ahead.  

Just so I'm clear. If Ken wants to be a woman and wants you to call her Karen, it's my choice what I call her? If a man was named Karen, what do I call him?

Is this about the name or the reason? 

If Ken changes his name to Carl, that's okay. I'll call him Carl?
Don't need to overthink it. A person tells me they want to be called "xxxxx" I'll call them "xxxxx".

Why wouldn't you call someone Carl who told you he was changing his name to Carl?
That was my point. Ken changed his name to Carl. That's okay. But if Ken changes his name to Karen, then no dice? 

Seems that it's the reason, not the change that some people have an issue with?

For the record, I dont really care. Except there seems to be a line drawn at the name God. Which changes the landscape a bit. They dont want to call someone God because of their beliefs. Which, I guess, someone could have a belief (or it goes against their religion) to call Ken-Karen.

For the record, I dont really care. Except there seems to be a line drawn at the name God. Which changes the landscape a bit. They dont want to call someone God because of their beliefs.
I won't call somebody God, but not because of my religious beliefs.  I won't call them God because that's stupid.  I also won't call somebody "Your Majesty" unless they are actually royalty.

I won't call somebody God, but not because of my religious beliefs.  I won't call them God because that's stupid.  I also won't call somebody "Your Majesty" unless they are actually royalty.
What about that high school football player a few years ago - Jamajesty? Who had a brother or sister named Yahighness?

Edit: apparently it was "Jermajesty Smith"

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't ask about you calling someone "Your Majesty". I specifically asked about Jesus or God.

I was raised Catholic. I'm sure there are a lot of Christians that would take offense to someone changing their name to God. Which I'm curious if you even could?

But, in the end, the word God is just a combination of letters. The same way the word Ken or Karen are a combination of letters. 

As to you not calling someone God because it's stupid, there are plenty of names that may seem stupid to other people. Ochocinco was one of them. Thinking back to the 60's, I'm sure people thought names like Moon and Star were stupid. Again, just a combination of letters. It was the reason behind the name that made people dislike them.  

I didn't ask about you calling someone "Your Majesty". I specifically asked about Jesus or God.

I was raised Catholic. I'm sure there are a lot of Christians that would take offense to someone changing their name to God. Which I'm curious if you even could?

But, in the end, the word God is just a combination of letters. The same way the word Ken or Karen are a combination of letters. 

As to you not calling someone God because it's stupid, there are plenty of names that may seem stupid to other people. Ochocinco was one of them. Thinking back to the 60's, I'm sure people thought names like Moon and Star were stupid. Again, just a combination of letters. It was the reason behind the name that made people dislike them.  
Depends on the country.  Some guy in the UK changed his name to Emperor Spiderman Gandalf Wolverine Skywalker Optimus Prime Goku Sonic Xavier Ryu Cloud Superman HeMan Batman Thrash

Depends on the country.  Some guy in the UK changed his name to Emperor Spiderman Gandalf Wolverine Skywalker Optimus Prime Goku Sonic Xavier Ryu Cloud Superman HeMan Batman Thrash
Nice.

I was wondering if there would be any conflict with our currency.

In God (not Ken) We Trust. 

What if it's just one word name? Prince. Madonna. Cher. God. 
Sure.  

I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove here.  Tanner had an example a while back of doing roll in a course.  A kid named Robert asks to be called Bob.  A kid named Elizabeth asks to be called Beth.  Of course he's cool with both of those.  If a kid named Mike asked to be called God, he'd presumably tell Mike to take a long walk off a short pier, because the kid is just being a smartass.  

"But a person upending their life by transitioning to a different gender is indistinguishable from a smart-### 5th grader asking to be called Your Majesty" doesn't seem like the sort of argument a person would make in a good faith effort to understand the trans community.

Sure.  

I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove here.  Tanner had an example a while back of doing roll in a course.  A kid named Robert asks to be called Bob.  A kid named Elizabeth asks to be called Beth.  Of course he's cool with both of those.  If a kid named Mike asked to be called God, he'd presumably tell Mike to take a long walk off a short pier, because the kid is just being a smartass.  
Sure, but if the kid's middle name was Godfrey, that parent is coming in for a conference.

Stealthycat said:
or

my daughter is lost to drugs, my 24 year marriage just ended, my son hates everyone around him including himself, just lost my job of 20 years .... IRS sent me a $9850 back tax bill ......... yeah, maybe you don't know me at all huh ?
Sorry man. Good luck

I guess it's better than that kid from the Sixth Sense.

"I see dead people."

"Oh, phew, I just hear Jim Nabor's voice.  Sucks for you, kid."

Sure.  

If Tanner did the roll call and the kids name was really God. What would he do?

I'm sure the teachers in the 60's and 70's had to deal with some of this. "Is Moon Sky Earth here",  "how about Ocean Breeze"?

Sure.  

I’d call his bluff and call him God.  Then I’d blame him for everything. 

“The internet is down again.  Nice going, God.”

I wrote a fantasy football-inspired slam poem about God Shammgod once about eight years ago.

It was probably as bad as it sounds.
Jesus. You are one twisted, rattled, maladjusted dude aren't you?

But seriously if you still have it PM me...

Jesus. You are one twisted, rattled, maladjusted dude aren't you?

But seriously if you still have it PM me...
Yep. Indeed.

Likely long gone. It was about chance, fate, and free will. I might have it saved somewhere. I will look. Think it began like this...

Can I get a little wind-up? I'm tryin' to get Kevin Boss in my lineup

Users who are viewing this thread