What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great Divide of Our Time (1 Viewer)

LOL

lets do this - no NAACP, no BLM, no ANtIFA, no KKK, no white supremacist groups etc, nobody gets any advantages over anyone else on college entries its based only on academics/scores etc, no more awards specifically for people of different skin colors, no pageants with people of different skin colors etc etc, no quota's ........... no using sexual preferences or self identifications .... we treat as a society, everyone the same

you up for that?  I am

I'm up for the baby step of simply practice what you're preaching.  We can move to the bigger things once we've shown we can handle the small things without deflecting  :shrug:  

I am game for everything you list above as long as you can somehow assure me that everyone is going to start with the exact same lot in life.  And yes, I am aware, this is where the discussion goes silent or is deflected to some other tangent.  Happens every single time.

I love it when a plan comes together.

:hifive:

I'm up for the baby step of simply practice what you're preaching.  We can move to the bigger things once we've shown we can handle the small things without deflecting  :shrug:  

I am game for everything you list above as long as you can somehow assure me that everyone is going to start with the exact same lot in life.  And yes, I am aware, this is where the discussion goes silent or is deflected to some other tangent.  Happens every single time.
its two fold Commish

#1 you gotta change yourself right? I try very hard to be colorblind in this world and call things fair and equal. That's me - my soul, my character, and I control that

#2 society - and in that, we cannot directly change what's happening and the changes come slow vs fast. The pendulum has swung from treating people differently because they're black to now, treating people differently because they're white.  

its not deflection to discuss things - ya'll need to get over that cliche 

its two fold Commish

#1 you gotta change yourself right? I try very hard to be colorblind in this world and call things fair and equal. That's me - my soul, my character, and I control that

#2 society - and in that, we cannot directly change what's happening and the changes come slow vs fast. The pendulum has swung from treating people differently because they're black to now, treating people differently because they're white.  

its not deflection to discuss things - ya'll need to get over that cliche 
Which cliche is that?  When you start talking about something you weren't talking before when asked a tough question what is that called?  This little snippet is a good example.  As I said before, if you can assure me that everyone starts with the same lot in life we can get rid of all  those things that put in place to attempt to level the playing field because we DON'T all start with the same lot in life.

TL'DR:  You want to believe these things you listed like BLM, NAACP etc are in place because of skin color.  Reality is, they are in place because people don't all start with the same lot in life.

Which cliche is that?  When you start talking about something you weren't talking before when asked a tough question what is that called?  This little snippet is a good example.  As I said before, if you can assure me that everyone starts with the same lot in life we can get rid of all  those things that put in place to attempt to level the playing field because we DON'T all start with the same lot in life.

TL'DR:  You want to believe these things you listed like BLM, NAACP etc are in place because of skin color.  Reality is, they are in place because people don't all start with the same lot in life.
why should everyone start the same place in life ? nobody is naive enough to think that and to be honest? I got no problem with people of all colors and sexual choices and religions or whatever starting in a better place in life than my kids got to start

why would I ?

what i DO have a problem with, is my kid with a 3.5 gpa, a 28 on the ACT and a 4 year band being passed over for college administrations for someone with a lower gpa, lower test scores and no accolades because of skin color. that should be unacceptable in our world today and yet, its not

the things in place you listed are discrimination - you can try and justify it all you want but it is what it is. now, how that ties into the great divides of our time? because instead of a reversal in the pendulum that swung so far off to one side in trying to right the wrongs in the past that its now created many MORE wrongs, liberals want to break the pendulum off and roll it down the side of the mtn it seems. Obama and those 8 years saw such division that I never thought possible. 

why should everyone start the same place in life ? nobody is naive enough to think that and to be honest? I got no problem with people of all colors and sexual choices and religions or whatever starting in a better place in life than my kids got to start

why would I ?

what i DO have a problem with, is my kid with a 3.5 gpa, a 28 on the ACT and a 4 year band being passed over for college administrations for someone with a lower gpa, lower test scores and no accolades because of skin color. that should be unacceptable in our world today and yet, its not

the things in place you listed are discrimination - you can try and justify it all you want but it is what it is. now, how that ties into the great divides of our time? because instead of a reversal in the pendulum that swung so far off to one side in trying to right the wrongs in the past that its now created many MORE wrongs, liberals want to break the pendulum off and roll it down the side of the mtn it seems. Obama and those 8 years saw such division that I never thought possible. 
Basically you are saying that you can acknowledge that people start with inherent advantages they didn't earn, but we cant try to adjust for them? Or if we try to you dont want it to effect you or your family? 

Putting the NAACP in the same sentence as Antifa and the KKK is incredibly ignorant and possibly suggests bigotry as well. Given the guy who wrote that I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised but even for him it’s just awful. 

Basically you are saying that you can acknowledge that people start with inherent advantages they didn't earn, but we cant try to adjust for them? Or if we try to you dont want it to effect you or your family? 
everyone on the planet is born with inherent advantages - you do know that right ?

no - we don't adjust for them, why would we ? I am tickled Tiger Woods kids gets to grow up like they do - kudo's to him for providing for his family. i got nothing against those kids for being born into his family, why would I ? I also hold nothing against people born with natural physical talents, or naturally brilliant minded or artful or anything like that. Great for them. 

I know what you're getting at - you mean social shackles and things like that that hold people back ... and you're right, those things were all wrong, but we have the very same things today. Discrimination is discrimination, call it what it is and until its ALL GONE .... it will never be gone

You tell me....you're the one :hophead:  about equality and being treated equal :shrug:   

Yes...you've told me and again, you DON'T have a problem with them not having to overcome obstacles prior to that that other kids did have to overcome.  It always comes down to this.  You look at the specific point in time and not the entire race...every single time.

Those aren't my list...they are the ones you brought up.  There's no justification I am making.  I am simply telling you why they exist in this ###### up world we are living in.  And if you think Obama's influence was bad, I hope you're watching what is going on today with all the moral corruption going on in this administration.  It's the ultimate "hold my beer" event.  It's bizarre you'd even bring up Obama given all these injustices have been around since the country began.  Do you view him in that light because he was the first President to pick at that scab to show how ###### up this country really is and forced us to look in the mirror a bit more than we wanted to?

Stealthycat said:
everyone on the planet is born with inherent advantages - you do know that right ?
Lets stick to the US.  In this country people INHERIT advantage because that's the way the system was designed.  There's a huge difference.

Stealthycat said:
I know what you're getting at - you mean social shackles and things like that that hold people back ... and you're right, those things were all wrong, but we have the very same things today. Discrimination is discrimination, call it what it is and until its ALL GONE .... it will never be gone
Right.  They ARE all wrong and we DO have them today.  They are the things that people INHERIT you mention above.  You're arguing with yourself it seems.  All the things you are pushing back against in your list are things in place because the system is set up so that people INHERIT advantages by design.  If they didn't start with those inequalities, there would be no need to attempt to level the playing field.   So you either are ok with blowing up the system that is slanted to people starting at different places via INHERITANCE or you are ok with evening the playing field as they go.  Can't have it both ways :shrug:  

The Commish said:
You tell me....you're the one :hophead:  about equality and being treated equal :shrug:   
which has nothing to do with the cards you're dealt at birth - each person is responsible for themselves, how they attack life, how they choose to live

some are born into riches and are worthless people, some are born into poverty and become great people ...........you know this

The Commish said:
Yes...you've told me and again, you DON'T have a problem with them not having to overcome obstacles prior to that that other kids did have to overcome.  It always comes down to this.  You look at the specific point in time and not the entire race...every single time.
we ALL have things to overcome regardless of what circumstances we're born into - you know this too

The Commish said:
Those aren't my list...they are the ones you brought up.  There's no justification I am making.  I am simply telling you why they exist in this ###### up world we are living in.  And if you think Obama's influence was bad, I hope you're watching what is going on today with all the moral corruption going on in this administration.  It's the ultimate "hold my beer" event.  It's bizarre you'd even bring up Obama given all these injustices have been around since the country began.  Do you view him in that light because he was the first President to pick at that scab to show how ###### up this country really is and forced us to look in the mirror a bit more than we wanted to?
they are on my list because I'm not afraid to call them what they are - are you ?

do I view Obama as being more divisive than Trump - is that the core question ?  yes, I do. Can Trump's 4 or 8 years eclipse those of Obama? Sure they can ........ and with the spawning of all the radical left groups very possible. Trump isn't healing this country, the Democrats aren't either with their Squad's and core values focusing on anti-American ideals. We will have to see where this goes ............. Obama divided behind closed doors, Trump does it with a loud speaker

timschochet said:
Putting the NAACP in the same sentence as Antifa and the KKK is incredibly ignorant and possibly suggests bigotry as well. Given the guy who wrote that I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised but even for him it’s just awful. 
And yet somehow you did manage to put them all in the same sentence. 

which has nothing to do with the cards you're dealt at birth - each person is responsible for themselves, how they attack life, how they choose to live

some are born into riches and are worthless people, some are born into poverty and become great people ...........you know this
Shift in focus again...more subtle this time, but a shift nonetheless.  This isn't about "responsibility" it's about the hand we're dealt.  You want equality then the two options I listed above are it.  That isn't up for debate :shrug:  

Shift in focus again...more subtle this time, but a shift nonetheless.  This isn't about "responsibility" it's about the hand we're dealt.  You want equality then the two options I listed above are it.  That isn't up for debate :shrug:  
you have a hard time seeing the separations in talking about how you're born into this world and then how society discriminates against based on laws, quota's, rules etc that are in place targeting people of a certain sex or skin color etc

https://www.foxnews.com/media/fox-friends-takes-on-college-financial-aid-loophole-tuition-costs-are-crazy

perfectly legal - and as I saw how FAFSA targeted my oldest child, I wish I'd have thought of the above. its a very viable option to use to get around discrimination 

you have a hard time seeing the separations in talking about how you're born into this world and then how society discriminates against based on laws, quota's, rules etc that are in place targeting people of a certain sex or skin color etc

https://www.foxnews.com/media/fox-friends-takes-on-college-financial-aid-loophole-tuition-costs-are-crazy

perfectly legal - and as I saw how FAFSA targeted my oldest child, I wish I'd have thought of the above. its a very viable option to use to get around discrimination 
I went over with you your FAFSA stuff many months ago and what you should have done.  Play the game or not...the decision not to was the problem there.  There is no separation to be made here.  Things are either equal or they aren't.  When they aren't equal, trying to make them more equal is not "discrimination".  It's completely unacceptable to say "person X, you start in the #1 position.  person Y, you start in the #599883775 position 6 miles behind, but everything else will remain constant because the race has to be 'fair' ".  I mean, sports even get how absurd that it.  There's a reason there are staggered starts in track and field races.

I went over with you your FAFSA stuff many months ago and what you should have done.  Play the game or not...the decision not to was the problem there.  There is no separation to be made here.  Things are either equal or they aren't.  When they aren't equal, trying to make them more equal is not "discrimination".  It's completely unacceptable to say "person X, you start in the #1 position.  person Y, you start in the #599883775 position 6 miles behind, but everything else will remain constant because the race has to be 'fair' ".  I mean, sports even get how absurd that it.  There's a reason there are staggered starts in track and field races.
everything else isn't constant

then start the really naturally gifted runners steps behind, take away steps and distance for every program that discriminates against whites based on skin color, take steps away from the black kids born into wealth, take steps away EVERYTHING not just the privilege or advantages you want to see

and you know what? in the end of that race, the person who trained hardest, who put in the hours and time to be the best runner would win and SHOULD win. The plodding video gaming unmotived kid given all those steps ahead? he didn't earn anything from what you gave him and its disgraceful you tried to give him an advantage to be honest

FAFSA punishes the kids for their parents hard work - that's what FAFSA does

everything else isn't constant
Right....because the starting points aren't consistent.  Now you're starting to get it.

then start the really naturally gifted runners steps behind, take away steps and distance for every program that discriminates against whites based on skin color, take steps away from the black kids born into wealth, take steps away EVERYTHING not just the privilege or advantages you want to see
Well, I thought you were starting to get it...maybe not.  The inverse is true today...the gifted are started AHEAD, not behind thus the need for adjustment during the race.  I am unaware of a single program where funding is provided that does not treat people of the same economic circumstances the same.  If it's a white kid who's family has millions they are treated the same way as a black kid who's family has millions.  Do you have some specific government programs in mind where this isn't the case?

and you know what? in the end of that race, the person who trained hardest, who put in the hours and time to be the best runner would win and SHOULD win. The plodding video gaming unmotived kid given all those steps ahead? he didn't earn anything from what you gave him and its disgraceful you tried to give him an advantage to be honest
Maybe...maybe not.  A LOT of times, obstacles prove to be too much regardless of ability.  This is where we look at the rule rather than the exception to make a sound decision.

FAFSA punishes the kids for their parents hard work - that's what FAFSA does
ONLY if the parents choose to keep the children under their purview as a dependent.  That's on the parent, not FAFSA.  I am fortunate that my parents didn't weight me down like that and saw the long term best way to navigate was to let me go.

lmfao.

Obama inherited a country about to go into a depression.  The first 2 years were spent climbing out of it and the last 6 trying to stabilize the economy.  Oh yea, he said police shouldn't shoot black people without cause, wow so divisive.  Oh, and he wanted healthcare for everyone.  The monster.

You folks act like you are simply without clue sometimes.

The biggest divide we have is educated vs uneducated and you can easily tell which side is which.  Luckily, economic realities are forcing more and more people to get educated so conservatives will all but be gone in 20'ish years. 
No offense but I believe I read statements like this during the Bush years.  The idea that conservatives are “on their way out” is a silly thing people tell themselves, but it’s totally unverifiable and judging from who is in the White House, who controls the senate, events in England...it’s not true 

Link to where I mentioned race?

The majority of blacks and Hispanics who vote dem don't have college.  Just like the majority of whites who don't have college vote R.  The difference is that only one of those blocks can effectively decide the presidency.  Believe it or not, I wouldn't want a block of just educated people deciding who's POTUS.  But what we have now is very much the fact that whites without college vote as a block and can almost choose the POTUS.
Hey @Cowboysfan8, did you miss this part when you were quoting?

Fox news poll, 59% say trump is tearing the country apart.  31% say drawing country together.  

The far left and the far right dislike each other so much not because they are at opposite ends of the spectrum but because they are fighting over the same spot. 
You just totally confused me. Here wikkid sets me straight, and you come along and dump bollocks on it.

Hmmm...back to the drawing boad. Maybe Henry Ford or the Central Committee would like to tell us? 

You just totally confused me. Here wikkid sets me straight, and you come along and dump bollocks on it.

Hmmm...back to the drawing boad. Maybe Henry Ford or the Central Committee would like to tell us? 
I just think - like you alluded to- the far right and far left aren't particularly different at all. 

I just think - like you alluded to- the far right and far left aren't particularly different at all. 
I'm kidding, BTW. Yeah, I can see that, and the far right and far left are not really that far apart in terms of procedure and result for the most part. Neither has private property, both bow at the altar of the totality of the state, and both have their laws enforced by an executive branch of gov't that controls virtually everything, but they're different (theoretically if not in practice) in terms of nationalism, rationalism, and internationalism. The right loves it some nationally belligerent internationalism with a side of mysticism. The left seeks to make the international universal as well as the rational.

So there. :)

I'm kidding, BTW. Yeah, I can see that, and the far right and far left are not really that far apart in terms of procedure and result for the most part. Neither has private property, both bow at the altar of the totality of the state, and both have their laws enforced by an executive branch of gov't that controls virtually everything, but they're different (theoretically if not in practice) in terms of nationalism, rationalism, and internationalism. The right loves it some nationally belligerent internationalism with a side of mysticism. The left seeks to make the international universal as well as the rational.

So there. :)
Well said. Just thinking about The Lives of Others and imagine WW2 ended with some kind of treaty where NAZI Germany stayed intact. The movie wouldn't have been any different. Secret police, 1 party rule, restriction of the arts, etc. It's the same country, just a different facade. 

Well said. Just thinking about The Lives of Others and imagine WW2 ended with some kind of treaty where NAZI Germany stayed intact. The movie wouldn't have been any different. Secret police, 1 party rule, restriction of the arts, etc. It's the same country, just a different facade. 
Thanks. A lot of people on both the right and left would like a word with us. In theory, they're very different animals. In practice, often not so much. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. A lot of people on both the right and left would like a word with us. In theory, they're very different animals. In practice, often not so much. 
Party animals. Everything is about the party. Not the country or the welfare of man, but just the survival of the party. I don't know how it would even be possible, but I do wish we could eliminate political parties. 

Party animals. Everything is about the party. Not the country or the welfare of man, but just the survival of the party. I don't know how it would even be possible, but I do wish we could eliminate political parties. 
And yet Washington (IIRC) seemed to have hopes that a two party system would keep splintering factions in check by keeping them from power, thereby acting as a unifying force for the good of the Republic. 

Altho, as a former member of CPUSA, i have seen those who believed in the equality machines that always end up being totalitarianism, i don't think most die-hard leftists of my generation had much taste for Socialism. And, even though i knew from the start that most of my fellow hippies were out on the streets because of the partying and not wanting to get drafted, i still found it remarkable that, with less than a generation of postwar prosperity under their belts, so many Boomers sought the leg-up for the disadvantaged as the prime move for society.

The truest common link between left & right is Jesus. The right wants damnation for those who are wrong & inconvenient, just as only the Son o' God can do. The left wants Jesus back, wants to see him feed the poor, elevate the meek, turn over the tables of the moneylenders. They wanna put their hand in the hand of the man from Galilee - the original hippie. I truly believe that to be what the left really has wanted for the 50some years i've cared about such things - the Jesus ethic. If Bobby Kennedy had lived, undergone the campaign transformation everyone writes about and, as President, taken the Oskar Schindler approach - every penny wasted is a life that won't be lifted - to the Great Society, the boomerhippies would have been right there, because that's what suburbs/Marshall Plan/Unicef/spacerace/MLK taught us to want in short order. We weren't cynical til we had sumn to be cynical about.

That said, the real thing right & left have in common is that they want something DONE, their way to prevail, that hesitation, equivocation and the art of the possible are the real enemies of mankind.

The more I look into it and read about it, the more the assassination of Bobby Kennedy changed the next fifty to one hundred years of the country. It's just staggering. 

The more I look into it and read about it, the more the assassination of Bobby Kennedy changed the next fifty to one hundred years of the country. It's just staggering. 
Yeah. I HATED him when he was alive - he was the most Catholic, true-believer, alley-fighter of the Kennedys and was beating my first political hero - Clean Gene McCarthy - but, if the books are right about the morality he started finding working with the UFW in '66 thru the early portion of his presidential campaign, we missed out on as much as you would have if Reagan had been shot on the campaign trail.

Yeah. I HATED him when he was alive - he was the most Catholic, true-believer, gutter-fighter of the Kennedys and was beating my first political hero - Clean Gene McCarthy - but, if the books are right about the morality he started finding working with the UFW in '66 thru the early portion of his presidential campaign, we missed out on as much as you would have if Reagan had been shot on the campaign trail.
Yeah, I think Kennedy and Reagan are apt comparisons. Can I make a quick aside, though: I'm more of a Goldwater guy than a Reaganite, who I thought had lots of problems with civil rights especially. Goldwater was againt the CRA of '64, and I'm for it, but other than that, I find his staunchly anti-government views to have extended to the personal morality of people, which I would have preferred to the Phyllis Schlafly and televangelist brigade Reagan seemed to attract and empower. 

Yeah, I think Kennedy and Reagan are apt comparisons. Can I make a quick aside, though: I'm more of a Goldwater guy than a Reaganite, who I thought had lots of problems with civil rights especially. Goldwater was againt the CRA of '64, and I'm for it, but other than that, I find his staunchly anti-government views to have extended to the personal morality of people, which I would have preferred to the Phyllis Schlafly and televangelist brigade Reagan seemed to attract and empower. 
as i have said more than any one thing in this forum - turns out everything is moral. it's the arbiters & arbitration of that morality which screamed for opposition. i grok you, maaaan

Users who are viewing this thread