What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Strategy for shorter benches/bigger leagues? (1 Viewer)

mm927

Footballguy
This can certainly be a more general question, but for some context I play in an 14 team PPR Auction league: 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE, K, D

We only have 4 bench spots (to promote more active waivers/trades).

How do you generally think about draft strategy for these type of leagues? More emphasis on elite TE and QB? ZeroRB (or something similar) as a valid strategy?

With 14 teams, I'd roster 2 QB. (Typically in formats like this that are 10 or 12 team, you can roster 1 QB and not be hurt.)

I would stack as many RB as possible on my bench. Irrespective of format, RB is the toughest position to replace.

I'd roster only 1 TE, K, and D. (This is a personal preference as I view TE6-TE25 as basically the same guy.) Personally, I would not chase a top tier TE, but that's a personal preference, not an iron clad model for success.

As for the draft, your position means a lot. What draft spot do you have?

With 14 teams, I'd roster 2 QB. (Typically in formats like this that are 10 or 12 team, you can roster 1 QB and not be hurt.)

I would stack as many RB as possible on my bench. Irrespective of format, RB is the toughest position to replace.

I'd roster only 1 TE, K, and D. (This is a personal preference as I view TE6-TE25 as basically the same guy.) Personally, I would not chase a top tier TE, but that's a personal preference, not an iron clad model for success.

As for the draft, your position means a lot. What draft spot do you have?
Auction! So I can certainly go after any type of strategy. Another note I forgot to add is it's a keeper league (keeping Kerryon at $3)

Certainly understand the 2QB route especially b/c folks have been drafting 2QBs in years past. I've been leaning TE1-TE6 since I just don't ever want to think about keeping 2 TE's to get the upside. I.E. don't need to scour the waiver wire for a QB if I have Kelce/Kittle or perhaps Engram.

If I'm in an auction, I load up on as many elite RB as possible.

Decent WR scoring can be found more easily on the WW.

In these formats, I'd spitball a bunch of upside WR in the $6-$7 range. If a quality top 20 guy falls 15% below market. (Adam Thielen, for example, is getting downgraded everywhere. Take advantage if the opportunity presents itself.)

As I'm sure you know, auctions require nimbleness. Don't be afraid to deviate from the plan if the right opportunity becomes available.

I play in an identical league, 14 team, same starting requirements, and same bench size.  Couple of rules I follow: 

I gamble at QB, and only roster one.  That means dropping my 4th bench option for a bye-filler QB for that week.  If my starter goes down injured, there's typically another one available on the wire because maybe only 1-2 owners have a second QB rostered.  There's gonna be a Foles/Rivers/Jackson type out there so if you lose your QB you're not left with Rosen/Eli. 

I do the same for TE, using that 4th bench spot, unless I'm streaming at TE and just drop one for another.  So that means I generally want my QB and TE to have different bye weeks.

I try to go for one elite (QB or TE) but not both.  In a 14 team you need a difference maker, and unless you were lucky enough to get Mahomes last year your roster is going to have holes if you just load up RBs and WRs and go middle of the pack on the rest.  This one is probably negated bc you're in an auction, if the prices and timing are right you could end up squeezing an elite and semi-elite combo.  

Don't care if you have Gostkowski, Lutz, or Tucker.  Drop your K on his bye for another one, don't waste the bench spot.   If your league allows it, and if your starters are strong, you can always drop your kicker and take a 0 to get through a tough bye week/injury if you absolutely have to (again, IF your league allows it). 

Same goes for defenses, unless you've got the 2017 Jags who are just scoring points like crazy.  Not worth wasting a bench spot on a 2nd defense. 

So that means most weeks I have all 4 bench spots taken up by RBs and WRs.  Generally try to have 3 and 1 respectively, but not always.  I try to make sure and handcuff my top RB if at all possible, or if he's sniped in the draft then I'll try for that owners top handcuff and make a trade.  Losing a stud RB in a 14 team and having to go from Mixon to Ronald Jones starting because you missed out on Gio hurts the most when you're 14 teams deep. 

Last edited by a moderator:
wlwiles said:
I play in an identical league, 14 team, same starting requirements, and same bench size.  Couple of rules I follow: 

I gamble at QB, and only roster one.  That means dropping my 4th bench option for a bye-filler QB for that week.  If my starter goes down injured, there's typically another one available on the wire because maybe only 1-2 owners have a second QB rostered.  There's gonna be a Foles/Rivers/Jackson type out there so if you lose your QB you're not left with Rosen/Eli. 

I do the same for TE, using that 4th bench spot, unless I'm streaming at TE and just drop one for another.  So that means I generally want my QB and TE to have different bye weeks.

I try to go for one elite (QB or TE) but not both.  In a 14 team you need a difference maker, and unless you were lucky enough to get Mahomes last year your roster is going to have holes if you just load up RBs and WRs and go middle of the pack on the rest.  This one is probably negated bc you're in an auction, if the prices and timing are right you could end up squeezing an elite and semi-elite combo.  

Don't care if you have Gostkowski, Lutz, or Tucker.  Drop your K on his bye for another one, don't waste the bench spot.   If your league allows it, and if your starters are strong, you can always drop your kicker and take a 0 to get through a tough bye week/injury if you absolutely have to (again, IF your league allows it). 

Same goes for defenses, unless you've got the 2017 Jags who are just scoring points like crazy.  Not worth wasting a bench spot on a 2nd defense. 

So that means most weeks I have all 4 bench spots taken up by RBs and WRs.  Generally try to have 3 and 1 respectively, but not always.  I try to make sure and handcuff my top RB if at all possible, or if he's sniped in the draft then I'll try for that owners top handcuff and make a trade.  Losing a stud RB in a 14 team and having to go from Mixon to Ronald Jones starting because you missed out on Gio hurts the most when you're 14 teams deep. 
Thanks. I think the strategy makes sense re: QB/TE. Didn't necessarily think through bye weeks a lot, but will probably have to keep it in mind with so few bench spots. Probably leaves stacking out of question?

Another strategy I've been floating is going after the Seattle backfield and the current 49ers backfield (i.e. drafting Carson/Penny and Coleman/Breida). The players/teams don't necessarily matter but the idea was one I saw on FBG last year–take 5 RBs, but 2 pairs to both handcuff and start in case of emergency (i.e. might be able to start both Carson and Penny if things go really wrong). 

In this case, I imagine I'd try to strongly hit WR and aim for an elite TE. Auctions always vary, but these backfields seem cheapish and hopefully one becomes a larger value?

Thanks. I think the strategy makes sense re: QB/TE. Didn't necessarily think through bye weeks a lot, but will probably have to keep it in mind with so few bench spots. Probably leaves stacking out of question?

Another strategy I've been floating is going after the Seattle backfield and the current 49ers backfield (i.e. drafting Carson/Penny and Coleman/Breida). The players/teams don't necessarily matter but the idea was one I saw on FBG last year–take 5 RBs, but 2 pairs to both handcuff and start in case of emergency (i.e. might be able to start both Carson and Penny if things go really wrong). 

In this case, I imagine I'd try to strongly hit WR and aim for an elite TE. Auctions always vary, but these backfields seem cheapish and hopefully one becomes a larger value?
This is definitely a good idea, especially if you can get them semi-cheap and use your $ on WRs.  If your 5th RB (the one not paired with a teammate) is flex-worthy then you can get away with a bench of 2/2 RB/WR or maybe have room for a 2nd TE.  Don't take my bench makeup as gospel though, you'll have to adjust on the fly obv. 

I will say though re: bye weeks/stacking.  The guy that finished 2nd in our 14 teamer the last two years seeks out the stacks.  Last year he had Ryan/Julio/Coleman, the year before I think it was Brady/Edelman/Gronk. Not necessarily stacking because of point exploitation (see the stacking thread/argument for that), just stacking bye weeks to avoid so much bench gymnastics.  

One more thing I forgot to mention - not sure if you use waivers or FAAB, but in our league it never fails that some team takes a bunch of injuries all at once, and has to drop someone he wouldn't normally just to survive.  If you hoard FAAB/waiver priority (and have the room) you can grab some nice pickups that you should never be able to in a normal league. 

At first I absolutely hated the short benches, but after about half a season it quickly became my favorite league.  So much trading, so many interesting roster moves, so little depth that everybody is angling for any edge.  Some RB tweaks a toe in mid-week practice and it's a scramble to the wire to grab the 4th RB on that team, and it leads to some interesting drops also.  Enjoy it! 

This is definitely a good idea, especially if you can get them semi-cheap and use your $ on WRs.  If your 5th RB (the one not paired with a teammate) is flex-worthy then you can get away with a bench of 2/2 RB/WR or maybe have room for a 2nd TE.  Don't take my bench makeup as gospel though, you'll have to adjust on the fly obv. 

I will say though re: bye weeks/stacking.  The guy that finished 2nd in our 14 teamer the last two years seeks out the stacks.  Last year he had Ryan/Julio/Coleman, the year before I think it was Brady/Edelman/Gronk. Not necessarily stacking because of point exploitation (see the stacking thread/argument for that), just stacking bye weeks to avoid so much bench gymnastics.  

One more thing I forgot to mention - not sure if you use waivers or FAAB, but in our league it never fails that some team takes a bunch of injuries all at once, and has to drop someone he wouldn't normally just to survive.  If you hoard FAAB/waiver priority (and have the room) you can grab some nice pickups that you should never be able to in a normal league. 

At first I absolutely hated the short benches, but after about half a season it quickly became my favorite league.  So much trading, so many interesting roster moves, so little depth that everybody is angling for any edge.  Some RB tweaks a toe in mid-week practice and it's a scramble to the wire to grab the 4th RB on that team, and it leads to some interesting drops also.  Enjoy it! 
Many thanks! Kerryon is my keeper, but since WR is generally less valued, I think I can go after 4 tier 1/2 options as the base of my scoring every week.

Interesting thoughts on the stacking! Is he punting that week then?

Only thought re: the RB strategy is I'm not necessarily leaving myself room for the upside of hitting on more than one/two backfields. Also harder to drop the last RB as WW fodder.

This is our second year with the short benches and 3rd with auction, so quite interested to see how people adapt from last year!

I'm in a 12 team league and we only have 4 bench spots and only start Q,R,W,T,F,F,K,D.

I think you really want to have a stud QB or TE, more so the TE but the Draft Dominator I use has Kelce 6th, Ertz 17, Kittle 22, Engram 41, Howard 45, Henry 49, Cook 59 overall.

I select 6,19,30,42 overall so very curious where I'm going to get my TE.

Users who are viewing this thread