What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Olabisi Johnson #3 in Minnesota? (1 Viewer)

Casting Couch

Footballguy
Survived the final cuts, with little competition beyond Diggs and Thielen.

Wide receivers: Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, Olabisi Johnson, Chad Beebe

I'm going hard after him.  Beebe is tiny and slow. His ceiling is really limited, but he could still stick. 

An excellent Vikings fan also pointed out that the Vikings may go after DT because Kubiak. 

I'm going hard after him.  Beebe is tiny and slow. His ceiling is really limited, but he could still stick.
I find that hard to believe.

I do know he made a couple mental mistakes in the preseason this year, and that is why I'm a little concerned. Not that Beebe is a physical specimen, but coming into the preseason, he was receiving a lot of accolades. After a couple mistakes in game action, I have no idea what the staff is thinking.

I thought Zylstra was their best guy after Thielen+Diggs. Also thought Sloter was better than Mannion, and that you don't trade a 5th rounder for a guy just to cut him 2 weeks later. If they hadn't kept Boone, I'd have guessed just about all their cuts wrong.

This guy is not even in Draft Dominator. Not sure why the FBG staff can't get everyone in.

I find that hard to believe.

I do know he made a couple mental mistakes in the preseason this year, and that is why I'm a little concerned. Not that Beebe is a physical specimen, but coming into the preseason, he was receiving a lot of accolades. After a couple mistakes in game action, I have no idea what the staff is thinking.
6th percentile 40 time. 

0th percentile speed score

Olabisi Johnson confirmed he expects to take over as the Vikings' No. 3 receiver.

"I’ll be the slot receiver. I’m going in whenever we go to three-receiver sets," Johnson told reporters this week. With Chad Beede on IR, Johnson is in line for an expanded role, though he'll likely only see around the 20 percent of snaps Beebe was playing. Irv Smith stands to benefit the most from Beebe's absence.

SOURCE: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Sep 28, 2019, 11:06 AM ET

I did hear some interesting analysis of the Vikings match up with the Bears being such that they may want to get the Bears out of their base defense because of better match ups against Buster Skrine or Kevin Tollver at CB 3 and 4 than their match ups against Smith and Trevathan.

To get these match ups the Vikings would need to go 3 or 4 WR to get the Bears into sub package with more corners on the field. That isn't what the Vikings offense wants to do, but maybe they use 11 personnel more in this match up than they usually would.

Vikings promote Davion Davis to active roster, waive Nate Meadors

I am not sure if this guy will be active tomorrow,

This move along with the Vikings signing Treadwell to replace Beebe who is on IR would make Davis their 5th WR option now.

I do think Johnson is the WR 3 without question right now.

The move does further suggest that the Vikings see a need for more WR in this match up.

Akeem Hicks is a game time decision. Josh Kline who has been the Vikings best interior lineman so far is out with a concussion.

Johnson caught all four of his targets for 35 yards in Sunday's 16-6 loss to the Bears.

After ignoring the rookie receiver for most of the afternoon, Kirk Cousins found Johnson four times in the final five minutes of the fourth quarter as Minnesota ran a hurry-up offense to try and mount a comeback. He's now proved his reliability to his QB in his first NFL action, but Johnson's unlikely to see consistent targets behind Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs in a generally low-volume passing attack.
If Diggs gets traded...

When you are 32nd in the league in attempts, should anyone really care who the wr3, 4 or 5 is?
The Jets have fewer somehow, but higher percentage of passes... 

The Vikings have only slightly higher than half the pass attempts of the teams at the top.  Even the 1 and 2 might not matter that much if this keeps up. 

Doesn't Diggs contract make him pretty hard to trade? 
Yes. The Vikings just gave Diggs a contract like 2 or 3 months ago. There is $40 million guaranteed and I am not sure how the Vikings could handle the cap hit that would occur if they did eat that salary. It might require they cut other starters to be able to trade him.

The only reason the Vikings would trade Diggs is if he has completely forced their hand, like Percy Harvin did.

Thielen and Diggs both on long term contracts so OJ won't have much upside in their current offensive system barring injury. But things change quickly in the NFL.

I know it was the Giants and their secondary is not very good (Peppers does hit like a truck though) but Johnson actually did pretty well in his debut. 

30 snaps (45%) 4 targets 4 receptions 43 yards

He still played less than Rudolph, Thielen, Diggs and Irv Smith did. It was his first game though.

The Eagles have better pass rush than the Giants but their secondary just as suspect imo. Don't let their performance against Luke Falk fool you.

Olabisi Johnson caught 4-of-8 targets for 40 yards and a touchdown in Minnesota's Week 7 win over the Lions.

The rookie came off the bench for Adam Thielen (hamstring) on the team's second possession and immediately responded with a one-yard strike in the flats stemming from play-action. It was the first touchdown of his professional career. Finishing tied with Stefon Diggs (7/142) for a team-high eight targets, Johnson will be an interesting deep league bye-week filler if Thielen's ruled out for Thursday against Washington.

Oct 20, 2019, 6:04 PM ET

Olabisi Johnson caught 2-of-2 targets for 27 yards in the Vikings' Week 8 win over the Redskins.

Johnson had some flash the two times the ball was sent his way, but he simply wasn't needed in a game where the Vikings pulverized the Redskins on the ground. With Adam Thielen (hamstring) fully expected back for Week 9 against the Chiefs, Johnson won't be worth a DFS shot in the dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah this game wasn't a good one to find out what Johnson can do in relief of Theilen. They did whatever they wanted in the second half and essentially just ran the clock out for 30 straight minutes. It didn't even seem like they were trying to gain 1st downs, it just happened. 

Olabisi Johnson runs with the first team alongside Adam Thielen

by Adam Koffler | Vikings Correspondent | Fri, Aug 14th 6:32pm EDT

Vikings WR Olabisi (Bisi) Johnson ran with the first team in two-WR sets alongside Adam Thielen in practice Friday. (Arif Hasan on Twitter)

Fantasy Impact:

Interesting news out of Vikings camp. Although Arif Hasan of The Athletic doesn’t believe this means anything quite yet, it’s interesting to see Johnson get the first team reps with Jefferson, a first round pick, running with the twos. Keep this information in your back pocket in case this trend continues, as Johnson could become a trendy sleeper as we move closer to the start of the regular season.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/263680/olabisi-johnson-runs-with-first-team-alongside-adam-thielen.php

The Athletic's Arif Hasan notes Bisi Johnson is "locked in alongside Adam Thielen and Justin Jefferson."

It sounds like the competition is already over for three-receiver sets, but the real battle is for the No. 2 job because the Vikings use two-tight end sets as much as any offense in the NFL. Jefferson reportedly has had good and bad days in training camp, so there's an off chance that Johnson gets early-season run as the No. 2. With that said, it's likely that Jefferson, a first-round pick who caught over 100 passes at LSU last season, walks away with this secondary role within a few games, if not in the season opener.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 20, 2020, 8:19 PM ET

I listened to Arifs podcast and the way he described the Vikings offense in general was that they look rusty. Adam Thielen looks rusty and all of the players in general are not quite in football shape yet.

The exception to this is Olabisi Johnson who he said looks as good as he did last year. That he doesn't look rusty. That he is focused and playing with a purpose.

Most of the positive news from Vikings camp is how well their young defensive backs such as Cameron Dantzler are playing. So this begs the question, are the defensive backs just playing really good? Or are the WR not playing well enough right now?

He does think that Jefferson will take over as a starter in 2 WR sets eventually, but right now that is Johnson.

Its kind of damning with faint praise because he doesn't think Johnson has improved a lot from last season, but rather that the rest of the WR group isn't impressing.

Also from the way he describes what they can actually see in training camp is through binoculars. The Vikings have the press pretty far away from the team.

So what is the #2 WR in the Vikings offense worth?  I think an aspirational season line might be 55/750/3.  Is that WR5 territory?

So what is the #2 WR in the Vikings offense worth?  I think an aspirational season line might be 55/750/3.  Is that WR5 territory?
55 receptions seems to be a pretty common projection for Jefferson. Yards and TD vary. Part of this prognostication has to do with Johnson holding Jefferson off so far in competition. Most still projecting Jefferson will outperform Johnson by the end of the year.

I have been wondering aloud about who gets more receptions between Irv Smith and Justin Jefferson. Listening to a Vikings focused podcast a couple days ago this question was presented and all 3 of these folks (Sam Eckstrom, Arif Hasan, Luke Inman beat writers.) thought that Irv Smith would be that guy.

What these folks can see in training camp this year is very limited though. I am not sure how much more info they have compared to any of us this year.

I am hoping everyone is wrong and Jefferson breaks out like gang busters, but I am not hearing anyone around the Vikings predicting that right now. Johnson has been playing well enough to hold Jefferson off for now.

The opportunity for the WR 2 may be dilluted because of the WR 3.

Listening to Gary Kubiak before the NFL draft he was saying that Irv Smith was the Vikings WR two last season with Thielen injured. So ahead of Olabisi Johnson.

am hoping everyone is wrong and Jefferson breaks out like gang busters, but I am not hearing anyone around the Vikings predicting that right now. Johnson has been playing well enough to hold Jefferson off for now.

The opportunity for the WR 2 may be dilluted because of the WR 3.

Listening to Gary Kubiak before the NFL draft he was saying that Irv Smith was the Vikings WR two last season with Thielen injured. So ahead of Olabisi Johnson.

Listing to the Audible last week, their take after talking to those guys at Vikings camp was that Jefferson has been unable to adjust to any position other than slot. And because Thielen plays the slot, that leaves Jefferson as odd man out. The Vikings guy was not optimistic about Jefferson making the leap before the season begins.

I suspect you may be right about Irv Smith.  I don't think I'll draft him in my leagues (I have only have 6 bench spots), but I'll be keeping him on speed dial on the waiver wire.

Listing to the Audible last week, their take after talking to those guys at Vikings camp was that Jefferson has been unable to adjust to any position other than slot. And because Thielen plays the slot, that leaves Jefferson as odd man out. The Vikings guy was not optimistic about Jefferson making the leap before the season begins.

I suspect you may be right about Irv Smith.  I don't think I'll draft him in my leagues (I have only have 6 bench spots), but I'll be keeping him on speed dial on the waiver wire.
Yeah I heard that too. Its Cecil and he is wrong about Jefferson.

The WR need to block and Johnson did that well last year in limited snaps. That is part of their decision about who will start. All 3 WR will play, the Vikings dont run a lot of 3 WR however.

Vikes sure hope so.  It's just a tough year for rookies all round, and another reason to fade them in redraft this year.
I edited in some reason why Johnson is ahead of Jefferson to my post above.

The Jefferson playing exclusively from the slot is something I have heard so many times now over the last few months I am pretty sick of it. I don't think there is any truth to that at all and neither does Gary Kubiak. He said as part of selling the decision to pick Jefferson before they did, that Jefferson can do everything Kubiak will ask him to do in the offense, and that isn't a player who is limited to slot duty only.

Bisi Johnson caught 7-of-7 targets for 74 yards in the Vikings' Week 12 win over the Panthers.

Johnson jumped into the starting lineup with Adam Thielen ruled out, and he even had a quality fantasy line after the Vikings were put into negative game script. Kirk Cousins is extremely unlikely to come anywhere near his 45 pass attempts next week against the Jaguars. Starting Johnson in fantasy next week would be too fancy even if Thielen can't play.

- Rotoworld

Users who are viewing this thread