What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Visualize every pass thrown in '19 (and '18) (1 Viewer)

ebzded

Footballguy
I'm a longtime data nerd, ex-Microsoft engineer from the Excel team, and for 15 years I've been dying to do something like this:  a set of free, interactive stats tools:

1. QB Passing Dashboard
  2. QB Sortable Stats
  3. Target Analyzer
  4. Target Sorter
3 and 4 are perhaps the most fantasy-relevant.

There are some others too, but more relevant to people who care about...  who wins the actual NFL games. (I know, weird):

1. https://nocheckdowns.com/app/nfl-qb-tendencies/
  2. https://nocheckdowns.com/app/2019-vs-2018/
  3. https://nocheckdowns.com/app/matchup-evaluator/
  4. https://nocheckdowns.com/app/location-accuracy/
I hope you find it useful.  Filterable by all kinds of variables including down/distance, targeted receiver, blitz/no blitz, play action, etc.

NOTE ABOUT MOBILE:  it sucks on mobile.  We're working on it.  For now, you really want to be on a computer to use it.

MODS:  this is a side project/hobby, and I never intend to charge for it.  It's (hopefully) good advertising for my company's business data consulting services, but there's no intention to make money off the football crowd.  I'm a longtime subscriber and in all seriousness owe my career in data to Joe Bryant's VBD article many years ago. Much love.

Last edited by a moderator:
ebzded said:
This is pretty cool.  My very first impression was a bit of confusion, in the upper left corner it says "2018-19 Dashboard" but shows only 30 attempts for Josh Allen.  Took me a minute to see that it was filtered just to last week's stats, and then I was disappointed to find I could only view these on a week-by-week basis.  Would really like to see aggregate stats at a season level.  Also should be able to multi-select some of the filters, like if I want "3rd & long" situations it seems like i can only see 7-9 yds, 10-14 yds, and 15+ yds separately.  

not working well on mobile version, but definitely gonna check this out at home. 

awesome tool. monetize it (later)

Super cool, thanks for sharing! Agree with aggregate stats across all measures in addition to weekly. Another interesting slice would be to compare multiple/all QBs (maybe in a separate dashboard) as it would be interesting to see those comparisons and trends in terms of accuracy, target depths, completion rates, etc.

What does "created reception" mean? 

Very cool and useful.  Thanks for the work and would reiterate the desire for YTD info. Have already passed it to some FF diehards. Looking forward to version 2.0 ;)

awesome tool. monetize it (later)
It's a nice compliment, but nah.  This is more valuable as a free "billboard" for what my company can do for your biz data than it would be as a premium football site. Plus, the distraction of running two businesses is not something to underestimate.

I'll leave the premium football site biz to folks who know how to run that kind of biz.  Like the FBG team :)

What does "created reception" mean? 
It's like...  the opposite of a drop.  Bad throw.  Receiver managed to catch it anyway.

BTW, "Receiver Error" is almost always a drop.  But every now and then a receiver does something like not notice their toe was already out of bounds before catching it.

Also should be able to multi-select some of the filters, like if I want "3rd & long" situations it seems like i can only see 7-9 yds, 10-14 yds, and 15+ yds separately.  
Yeah, it's not obvious, but whenever you see checkbox filters, you can CTRL-Click to multi select.

A number of you have asked about selecting more than one week at a time.  Most of the apps DO allow for selecting multiple weeks (see post above for links, or just hit the home page for the menu), but not the QB Dashboard.

That's 100% because of the "dots on the field" chart.  It's not practical to visualize more than one game at a time in that manner.  The dots start clobbering/obscuring each other pretty quick (or I have to spread them out so much that they no longer approximately mirror where the pass was thrown).

I'm working on a version that "shades" regions of the field rather than littering it with dots, and that WILL work for multiple games, but it has other downsides. Tradeoffs.

I plan to keep working on this all season in my spare time, so it should get quite a bit better as the season progresses. Keep the requests coming!

A number of you have asked about selecting more than one week at a time.  Most of the apps DO allow for selecting multiple weeks (see post above for links, or just hit the home page for the menu), but not the QB Dashboard.

That's 100% because of the "dots on the field" chart.  It's not practical to visualize more than one game at a time in that manner.  The dots start clobbering/obscuring each other pretty quick (or I have to spread them out so much that they no longer approximately mirror where the pass was thrown).

I'm working on a version that "shades" regions of the field rather than littering it with dots, and that WILL work for multiple games, but it has other downsides. Tradeoffs.

I plan to keep working on this all season in my spare time, so it should get quite a bit better as the season progresses. Keep the requests coming!
All the other info and the bar charts would stlil be worth seeing even if the field-dot image isn't so clear. Only being able to look at a single week is really limiting. That said, it's extremely cool and thanks for sharing!

This is very cool and Ive only just started looking at it.  Not sure how you tell but %reciever error.....As i read it, It looks like Pittsburgh receivers are not doing the qbs any favors.   Also for matchup comparison, Lamar Jackson's accuracy goes up on obvious passing downs, which is counterintuitive to me.  

Users who are viewing this thread