What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2019 OFFENSE/DEFENSE CONTEST WEEK 5 (1 Viewer)

Used:

Offense:  BAL, NE, DAL, LA Rams

Defense: BAL, NE, DAL, LA Chargers

Week 5:

Offense: Philadelphia 

Defense: Philadelphia 

+107

used offense

NO, NE, DAL, LAR

Used defense

BAL, CLE, NE, LAC

week 5

offense- PHI

defense- PHI

ETA: changed from TEN to PHI D

Last edited by a moderator:
USED:

OFFENSE:  NOS, NE, DAL, PIT
DEFENSE:  SEA, NE, CHI,  PIT

WEEK 5:
OFF:  KC CHIEFS
DEF:  PHILLY

USED:

OFFENSE:  NOS, NE, DAL, PIT
DEFENSE:  SEA, NE, CHI,  PIT

WEEK 5:
OFF:  KC CHIEFS
DEF:  PHILLY
Failing to see how this is any less lame.  KC, Phi offense kind of a tossup in my book.  Vegas likes KC to outscore the Eagles.

Used O - Philly, Cle, Chi, Dallas 

Used D - Sea, Cle, Chi, Pitt

Week 5

Offense - New England 

Defense - Philly 

Failing to see how this is any less lame.  KC, Phi offense kind of a tossup in my book.  Vegas likes KC to outscore the Eagles.
The ppl picking doubles against these historically bad teams deserve a tar and feathering every week 😛

I think not being able to pick the same team the same week is the answer next year. 

The ppl picking doubles against these historically bad teams deserve a tar and feathering every week 😛

I think not being able to pick the same team the same week is the answer next year. 
Then people playing the implied totals game will just pivot to KC/Phi like you did.  

I can see the no-doubles but think a better approach is limiting the number of picks vs specific opponents.

Used:

Offense: Detroit, NE, Dal, Rams 

Defense: Baltimore, NE, Dal, Chargers

Week 5:

Offense: Philly

Defense: Tennessee Titans

Then people playing the implied totals game will just pivot to KC/Phi like you did.  

I can see the no-doubles but think a better approach is limiting the number of picks vs specific opponents.
I think that just gets too complicated. No doubles is simple and easy.

Another option would be to play High/Low Offense instead of Offense/Defense. So instead of picking the D against Miami each week, this would only allow you to pick the Miami Offense for the Low offense once.

I think that gets too hard to monitor not using teams vs over teams. No doubles is easy enough and keeps it interesting where you actually have to put some thought into it. 

Offense

1: Bucs 17

2: Ravens 23

3: Cowboys 31

4: Seahawks 27

5: Texans

Defense

1: Broncos -24

2: Patriots 0

3: Packers -16

4: Chargers -10

5: Titans

+100

Used
O - PHI, BAL, DAL, LAR
D - BAL, NE, DAL, LAC

This week
O - Kansas City Chiefs
D - Philadelphia Eagles

+112

Weeks 1-4

Offense:  New Orleans, New England, Dallas, Kansas City

Defense:  Baltimore, New England, Dallas, LA Chargers

Week #5:

Offense:  Houston

Defense:  Philadelphia

Deamon said:
As the official scorer, and absent a rules change from the contest master (QuizGuy), I'm going to keep picking whatever options are in front of me. 

Partly because I still genuinely believe that timely decisions to break from the "obvious" choices will in the long run prove better than blindly grabbing both ends of the top matchup.  As happened last week.  And if KC outscores Philly (a distinct possibility) this will end up being another week when I could have done better not taking the course you malign.

In fact, you (and others) criticism of the tactic makes me inclined to use my one entry (currently sitting in a collosally "lame" 13th place despite following the maligned strategy all but week 1.  I suspect if I keep following it blindly while others branch, I will trend down, not up, in those rankings.  I certainly lost ground last week...

+41 +  (34-55) = +20

USED

Offense: Philly(32)/Cle(23)/Dal(31)/KC(34)

Defense: Det(27)/Hou(12)/Dal(6)/LAR(55)

Week 5

Offense - NE    Defense - NE

As the official scorer, and absent a rules change from the contest master (QuizGuy), I'm going to keep picking whatever options are in front of me. 

Partly because I still genuinely believe that timely decisions to break from the "obvious" choices will in the long run prove better than blindly grabbing both ends of the top matchup.  As happened last week.  And if KC outscores Philly (a distinct possibility) this will end up being another week when I could have done better not taking the course you malign.

In fact, you (and others) criticism of the tactic makes me inclined to use my one entry (currently sitting in a collosally "lame" 13th place despite following the maligned strategy all but week 1.  I suspect if I keep following it blindly while others branch, I will trend down, not up, in those rankings.  I certainly lost ground last week...
Nothing but respect for you Arodin as a poster and as scorekeeper.

But still going to raz anyone who does nothing but take double teams vs historically awful teams week in and week out.  It's boring and cheap.

Cumulative Score: +103

Week 5:

Off:  KC

Def:  CHI

Previously used:

Off: BAL (59), NE (43), DAL (31), LAR (40)

Def: PHI (-27), CLE (-3), NE (-14), DEN (-26)

Arodin said:

Yep.  Next year will have a limit of ONE against.  Add 2 rows to the list (vsO and vsD).   Always thought survivor was best done that way.  Then people can kvetch about that next year.

-QG

Offense

1: Bucs 17

2: Ravens 23

3: Cowboys 31

4: Seahawks 27

5: Texans

Defense

1: Broncos -24

2: Patriots 0

3: Packers -16

4: Chargers -10

5: eagles
With Allen playing, I'm switching to the eagles. 

WEEK 5

off               BENGALS    

def              BENGALS

USED

off: TB, NE, DAL, chargers

def PHIL, NE, DAL, chargers

Maybe we'll put it to a vote.

Whatever eliminates the whining is what I will go with.

I had a bunch more thoughts but decided to delete them.

I'll post threads and make my picks (usually first) and score my score and the chips will fall.  Probably won't even read the rest of the threads from here on out.

-QG

Crap, forgot to pick this week, so I have to go with:

Offense - SF, Defense - SF

+108

Used - O (NO, NE, DAL, LAC) & D (BAL, NE, DAL, LAC)

Almost doubled my score by taking the optimal teams for the week  :)

Still like 50 behind the leaders but I'll take it. 

Maybe we'll put it to a vote.

Whatever eliminates the whining is what I will go with.

I had a bunch more thoughts but decided to delete them.

I'll post threads and make my picks (usually first) and score my score and the chips will fall.  Probably won't even read the rest of the threads from here on out.

-QG
It's a free, for fun, forum "contest." if people dont like it dont play... picking against miami x2 has already backfired on those who went with that strategy

Missed it this week - guess I have to go with Monday Night:

Used

Offense: Detroit, NE, Tampa Bay, LA Rams

Defense: Baltimore, HOU, Dallas, Denver

Week 5

Offense: SF

Defense: SF

Houston/Phi folks beat the so-called "lame" choices by over 20.  The assertions that the contest is cheapened by supposedly easy choices is false, from my point of view watching the scores.  It's a strong "floor" strategy, but there are people outperforming it. 

I for one will be interested in seeing what happens this week...will people blithely pick "Wash/Wash" when Miami's opponent is coming off a coach firing and starting a 3rd string QB?

Anyway, not sure I'll be awake for the whole MNF game, and I work late tomorrow, so scores may not get posted till Wednesday.  Sorry about that.

Arodin said:
Houston/Phi folks beat the so-called "lame" choices by over 20.  The assertions that the contest is cheapened by supposedly easy choices is false, from my point of view watching the scores.  It's a strong "floor" strategy, but there are people outperforming it. 

I for one will be interested in seeing what happens this week...will people blithely pick "Wash/Wash" when Miami's opponent is coming off a coach firing and starting a 3rd string QB?

Anyway, not sure I'll be awake for the whole MNF game, and I work late tomorrow, so scores may not get posted till Wednesday.  Sorry about that.
It's still dumb to pick it even if it doesn't always work out.  Sometimes cheating on a test doesn't work out if you cheat on the wrong guy, it's still cheating :P

Hand picking the few that did better than the "double up anyone vs the jets or dolphins" people is easy in hindsight.  Jeez.  I'm assuming the Philly/Philly people still were some of the top scores of the week this week.

Dr. Dan said:
It's a free, for fun, forum "contest." if people dont like it dont play... picking against miami x2 has already backfired on those who went with that strategy
If it was a money contest, I'd have no problem with people taking whoever they want. 

And it didn't backfire on those people.  Are you assuming had they done something different, that they ALL, would have somehow miraculously picked the exact perfect other combo that was better than that?

If it was a money contest, I'd have no problem with people taking whoever they want. 

And it didn't backfire on those people.  Are you assuming had they done something different, that they ALL, would have somehow miraculously picked the exact perfect other combo that was better than that?
no, but those who picked different are significantly ahead since the last 2 weeks

Crap, forgot to pick this week, so I have to go with:

Offense - SF, Defense - SF

+108

Used - O (NO, NE, DAL, LAC) & D (BAL, NE, DAL, LAC)
The early bird doesn't always get the worm...

+136

Used

Offense:  NO, NE, DAL, LAC, SF

Defense:  BAL, NE, DAL, LAC, SF

Users who are viewing this thread