Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pghrob

Dynasty & Redraft Steelers QB Devlin "Duck" Hodges

From FCS Samford where he broke Steve McNair's Alcorn State all-time FCS college career passing yards record to becoming an undrafted, last to be signed free-agent training camp try-out to improbable 3rd stringer and then back-up, and now starter of the Pittsburgh Steelers this week is the start of the Duck Dynasty run as Hodges is slated to start week 6 at the L.A. Chargers.

Who's looking to get on board? Would obviously be thrilled to see a second coming of a Kurt Warner or Tony Romo story.

• Like 2

I figured the first reply here should be that he was picked up last night by the 0-5 team and then traded to the team with Derek Carr on BYE for a 5th round rookie pick.

It's a DEEP league with pretty much 70+QB's rostered.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Faust said:

"I had the full gameplan" said Hodges in post-game interviews. "I tell ya'll that each and every week that I feel comfortable and confident. We didn't hold back at all". 

He probably didn't mean it this way, but looking back at my previous comments on Rudolph, this looks like an underhanded shot at Rudolph. 

Rudolph did not have the full game plan as far as I could tell. Rudolph does not look comfortable in the pocket.  Rudolph does not look confident. 

It's nice to see the positive news in the media.  I thought he looked good too, from the little bit we saw. 

Edited by kittenmittens
  • Like 1

Nick Farabaugh @FarabaughFB

Can’t deny how excited I am to see Devlin Hodges actually play Sunday night. The tools are all there based on the tape, I really hope they show themselves this Sunday.

Weird to me how much positive buzz he’s getting. I thought he didn’t look good at all when he came in for Rudolph last week (understandably). Not convinced he’ll be competent enough for anyone in the offense to produce for fantasy.

1 hour ago, RushHour said:

Weird to me how much positive buzz he’s getting. I thought he didn’t look good at all when he came in for Rudolph last week (understandably). Not convinced he’ll be competent enough for anyone in the offense to produce for fantasy.

How bad could he have looked with that completion percentage on that low a number of snaps? 

11 hours ago, RushHour said:

Don’t know what you saw that turned you off. I thought he looked calm and poised. Threw a decent ball. Didn’t look like much of a drop-off from Rudolph.

• Like 1

Devlin Hodges completed 15-of-20 passes for 132 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Steelers' 24-17, Week 6 win over the Chargers.

Hodges spent the majority of his evening either handing or passing the ball to James Conner. Still, the undrafted rookie deserves credit for not making mistakes and generally keeping the offense on track, other than an interception early in the fourth quarter that was forced into coverage downfield. Big plays were there to be had, including a deep ball to JuJu Smith-Schuster on the offense’s first play, but it’s tough to be too critical on Hodges after a seven-point "road" win. It’d be surprising if Mason Rudolph doesn’t start after the Steelers’ Week 7 bye, assuming he’s able to clear the protocol.

Edited by The Frankman

Passing chart. >>>>  

Here is Devlin Hodges' passing chart from Sunday night

----------------------

Fitchner is spoon feeding the baby formula safe game plan that he used with Rudolph but Hodges arm did not look strong enough, err to me.

• one completion of 10 yards
  • one completion of 7 yards
  • two made it 5 yards
  • only two others made it past the LOS

Of the 4 passes he attempted over ten yards three were incomplete and the other was picked off.  

• Like 1

He looked fine, but nothing too impressive.  He had the arm strength, but threw the ball in some spots that got his WRs hit pretty hard.  Johnson dropped a deelish pass that would have gotten him obliterated in another era. 

We didn't really get to see anything since the game script dictated not letting a rookie QB lose the game.  It looked like maybe they tried to sneak a peak late in the game, and he threw a pick, looked like maybe he was late on the throw but I wasn't sure. 

I agree that he looked pretty much the same as Rudolph, and the coaching staff babied him the same way. 

Devlin Hodges completed 14-of-21 passes for 212 yards, one touchdown, and an interception in Pittsburgh's Week 13 comeback victory over the Browns.

Pittsburgh's offense and, more to the point, Hodges totaled just 3 points on 76 yards before the team's final possession in the first half. That one drive in particular saw the rookie quarterback go hunting for James Washington (4/111/1), who tied the game with a 30-yard touchdown despite getting dragged to the ground by CB T.J. Carrie mid-catch. It was also the start of Pittsburgh's 20 unanswered points, keeping Baker Mayfield and the Browns in check for the entire second half. Hodges' fearlessness to trust his receivers blindly was an immense upgrade over Mason Rudolph's inept arm. The 7-5 Steelers will look to continue their Wild Card surge as they travel to take on the Cardinals in Week 14.

Edited by The Frankman