What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where You Currently Live vs Where You Grew Up? (1 Viewer)

How Far Away Do You Live vs Where You Grew Up/Graduated From High School?

• I live in the exact same city/town where I graduated high school. Hell, my kids attend the same sc

Votes: 38 12.2%
  • I live 25 miles or less from where I graduated high school. I'm in the vicinity.

Votes: 80 25.6%
  • I live 50 miles or less from where I graduated high school. It's a short drive away, but I'm blazi

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • I live 100 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Bit of a hassle to drive back home but

Votes: 38 12.2%
  • I live 500 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Much longer drive and sometimes I'll f

Votes: 40 12.8%
  • I live 1000 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Getting back home is a chore!

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • I live OVER 1000 miles away from where I graduated high school. "and I ran, I ran so far away....."

Votes: 67 21.5%

• Total voters
bakes is a guy who used to post here. he's from Troy.. or thereabouts.
Ah. I see. Been on these boards a while as well but don’t remember him. 
troy is a dump, btw. ;)  But that was back in the mid/late 80s. Maybe it’s gone all "brooklyn" as well and gentrified the cool old waterfront district. 

My little frat bro worked in NJ for 20 years or so and grinded out a nice living.  He and his wife sold their big home in West Orange and moved to SC a few years ago.  They absolutely love it there.  Got a much bigger, nicer, newer house for a lot less $$$ too.  
Come visit, you’ll see why.

Born near Chicago, moved to South Shore of Boston in early elementary school. Went to GW down here in DC area and mostly stayed. My wife’s decided we should move to be near family when we started having kids; we could choose Boston or outside Green Bay. Living here made her soft on winter, so off to Boston we went (no problem to me). Four years later as son #2 neared, she says “I don’t really like living near your parents. It was nice when they were 500 miles away.” So back here to NoVA we came. Living outside DC a bit in Loudoun County now, love it we’re in a great area for schools and with the third nearing HS, that is important. VA is also great with a ton of in-state colleges. I have more than a half dozen friends from my class in HS who live down here spread around the DC area. 

We will head somewhere warmer after the kids are out of the house, possibly SW.

@sho nuff - we do similar trips up to WI. In-laws have a place a couple hours north of Green Bay and it is great to go there in the summer. It’s also good to go there for Christmas, because you are more likely to get snow than down here in the south (‘ish’ here in NoVa).

Visiting GB this time of year hurts, as my oldest son and I are Bears fans (late 70s - 80s Pats were horrid) and dealing with Cheeseheads is a PITA!

Live 60 miles away, about an hour and 15 minutes.  Grew up in the Poconos now in PA Dutch country and t is quite a bit different.  Left to go to college and ended up getting a job in the area and liked it so I stayed.

Live 60 miles away, about an hour and 15 minutes.  Grew up in the Poconos now in PA Dutch country and t is quite a bit different.  Left to go to college and ended up getting a job in the area and liked it so I stayed.
Grew up in NYC (see previous posts) which means we spent time in the Poconos as all New Yorkers do ;)  

We had a vacation home in a Saw Creek Estates in Bushkill. And my best friend back then lived up there and went to High School in East Stroudsburg. Graduated high school in 85. I assume I’m old enough to be your father ;)  

Grew up in NYC (see previous posts) which means we spent time in the Poconos as all New Yorkers do ;)  

We had a vacation home in a Saw Creek Estates in Bushkill. And my best friend back then lived up there and went to High School in East Stroudsburg. Graduated high school in 85. I assume I’m old enough to be your father ;)  
Nope graduated in 88...I went to Pleasant Valley which is about 20 miles west of the Stroudsburg area.

Grew up in Cupertino, CA.  There were still orchards and vacant lots back then.  It was the Valley of Hearts Delight prior to Silicon Valley.  Supposedly the valley has/had some of the most fertile soil in the world.  In 6th grade I got to go to Atari and try out new video games and give some feedback.  In high school, during the summer there was a small gym that let us workout for $10 a month.  The gym shared a building with a small company that was still fairly new -- Apple.  Went to college at Santa Clara University and then went to work at Hewlett-Packard in Palo Alto.  Moved to the HP campus in Cupertino for a while -- this campus was torn down to make way for the new giant Apple HQ.

In 1994 I was newly married and my wife and I were buying a house.  At the same time my parents were retired and selling the home they purchased new in 1965 (paid $28,500).  My brother suggested they sell it to my wife and I, but we could not afford the $320,000 price tag so they did not.  That house is now a bit over $2.5M.

Bay Area was too crowded so we moved in 2001 up to Granite Bay, suburb just past Sacramento.   In 2010 we moved down to Huntington Beach and are still here.   So, currently about 340 miles from where I grew up.

It's an interesting place, Evansville. A small town that wants to be a small city. It certainly has grown since I left, especially on the east side along Green River Road. BTW, do you remember Darry's Restaurant on GRR? I was a bartender there during college and is where I met my wife (she was a cocktail waitress). She grew up in the country about an hour west of Evansville, in Illinois and had considered Evansville the "big city". LOL

I don't get back there often but it's always fun to reminisce. I still consider Turoni's pizza to be the best I have ever had and it's a requirement to stop there at least once, maybe twice, when I get back there. I have had my wife bring one back on the place with her a few times. 
Harrisburg?

1500-ish miles.

I didn't consult anything as authoritative as mapquest. It's possible the Lincoln Highway is no longer the shortest route.

Users who are viewing this thread