What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (3 Viewers)

Doug on WIP this morning:

• Misspoke about Groh and Walch, should have been clear that all staff was still awaiting evaluation
  • "Everyone" is on the table for OC consideration, including Duce
  • Carson hit was unfortunate and disappointing, but moved on; more upset they couldn't convert 3x in the red zone
  • Will be his call on who next OC is

Some writers even questioning why Groh should have been fired considering the great job done getting the team into the playoffs with a bunch of scrubs.
I think there's a recency bias here that is obscuring what happened in first the 12 games of this year (slow starts, ineffective drives, uninspired game plans, under-performance of Alshon, Nelson, and Goddert when they weren't hurt, etc.) and the 18 games last year (most of the same.) Looking at the whole body of work, I think they made the right evaluation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised at the amount of concern expressed by Philly writers along these lines. At least a couple are accusing Lurie  of undermining Doug's authority and making him look really bad, especially after what he said in the press conference on Wednesday. Writers now questioning how much input Doug will have in selecting the next OC (will Lurie "request" that it be Duce?) and speculating that Doug is probably pissed about how this all appears for him. Some writers even questioning why Groh should have been fired considering the great job done getting the team into the playoffs with a bunch of scrubs. While I expected some questioning of why and how it was done, I wasn't expecting the extent of negativity I'm seeing. Hopefully it's just stirring the pot and doesn't reflect how Doug really feels or the nature of the relationship between him and Lurie.
Lurie only seems to get involved when a change really needs to be made.  Like when he fired chip before the season was over.

This was needed.  Groh was terrible and everybody knew it but doug apparently.

Lurie does not do this all the time.

I am not concerned that it might have been Lurie's decision to fire Groh. I am a little concerned that the timeline for year-end decision making was unclear when Lurie and Pederson have been working together for 4 years now. Definitely doesn't look good for a coach to say one thing and then reverse himself the next day. But overall this is a pretty minor thing, unless it keeps happening moving forward.

So not sure how I missed this tweet. Kevin Kinkead who works for Crossing Broad (Use to write for The Philly Union and MLS soccer as well as Philly Voice) got a message from a source. he's bee right 4 other times already including telling them Mac Hollins Release, Ramsey to Rams Mathews back to the Eagles and can't remember the 4th one he said.

However the source contacted him saying keep an eye for Josh McCown as a candidate for the Eagles OC job. He has no idea who this person is or who they work for but the source has already been right 4 times. 

roarlions said:
I'm surprised at the amount of concern expressed by Philly writers along these lines. At least a couple are accusing Lurie  of undermining Doug's authority and making him look really bad, especially after what he said in the press conference on Wednesday. Writers now questioning how much input Doug will have in selecting the next OC (will Lurie "request" that it be Duce?) and speculating that Doug is probably pissed about how this all appears for him. Some writers even questioning why Groh should have been fired considering the great job done getting the team into the playoffs with a bunch of scrubs. While I expected some questioning of why and how it was done, I wasn't expecting the extent of negativity I'm seeing. Hopefully it's just stirring the pot and doesn't reflect how Doug really feels or the nature of the relationship between him and Lurie.
From what I was told Josh McCown was more involved of helping with those guys then Grohl. NJ.com Rosenblatt did a good story on McCown how he's been great for Wentz and was integral helping the PS WRs and all this year. A lot of high praises given to him. He was more of a player coach then anything. Collinsworth mentioned McCown was responsible for convincing Wentz to check down and live for another player. 

So not sure how I missed this tweet. Kevin Kinkead who works for Crossing Broad (Use to write for The Philly Union and MLS soccer as well as Philly Voice) got a message from a source. he's bee right 4 other times already including telling them Mac Hollins Release, Ramsey to Rams Mathews back to the Eagles and can't remember the 4th one he said.

However the source contacted him saying keep an eye for Josh McCown as a candidate for the Eagles OC job. He has no idea who this person is or who they work for but the source has already been right 4 times. 
But being a “candidate “ for the job doesn’t mean much.  He may not be a serious candidate.  That would be shocking if he got that job.  Has he even mentioned that he wants to retire?

But being a “candidate “ for the job doesn’t mean much.  He may not be a serious candidate.  That would be shocking if he got that job.  Has he even mentioned that he wants to retire?
McCown has been approached numerous times over the past 4-5 yrs about taking an OC/QB coach job by teams in the NFL more so then being asked to play QB. Dude is incredible smart and a few of his former coaches think he has what it takes to become an NFL coordinator. I took the comment more in that it seems like he might be a serious contender and from what I heard McCown was a HUGE PART In the development of Goddert and the PS WRs who ended up playing this year. SO he's already proven in a small sample size he can coach guys up and he's well respected in the locker room 

Whoever told you that is crazy. They wouldn’t be in the same rooms or even on the same part of the field 90% of the time. Their interactions would be extremely limited. 
Rosenblatt explained this in the article he'd written about a week ago Based on the article it sounds more like McCown was coaching these boys up more then anything Grohl did. He was also an influence in the team signing Deonty Burnett who was on the Jets with him last year. I'm not calling that move huge or anything but he's a young WR with some playmaking potential 

McCown's huge role in Eagles turn around making like Easier for Wentz and helping Practice squad guys

Rosenblatt explained this in the article he'd written about a week ago Based on the article it sounds more like McCown was coaching these boys up more then anything Grohl did.
It makes for a good story but Groh would have a ton more to do with the day-to-day and offense in general than McCown did. Groh sucks, we get it but McCown is starting to turn into a folk hero now lol

It makes for a good story but Groh would have a ton more to do with the day-to-day and offense in general than McCown did. Groh sucks, we get it but McCown is starting to turn into a folk hero now lol
I'm not saying McCown became defacto OC by any means but it says something when guys and media alike are crediting your back up QB for helping development of guys then the guy who has the job to do that. Groh is a nice guy too but I also think he was destined to fail from the beginning. We had a really good coach in Reich who may have been over qualified, didn't do much with SD but became great here and won a SB. Groh has bounced around and never had success anywhere he's gone even being fired by his own father at one point. This was destined to fail from the start. Like I said McCown has been approached numerous times over the past 4-5 yrs about taking an OC/QB coach job by teams in the NFL more so then being asked to play QB. Dude is incredible smart and a few of his former coaches think he has what it takes to become an NFL coordinator. Kellen Moore went from back up QB in Dal to QB coach of Dal to their OC this year in a short 3 yrs span. 

I'm not saying McCown became defacto OC by any means but it says something when guys and media alike are crediting your back up QB for helping development of guys then the guy who has the job to do that. Groh is a nice guy too but I also think he was destined to fail from the beginning. We had a really good coach in Reich who may have been over qualified, didn't do much with SD but became great here and won a SB. Groh has bounced around and never had success anywhere he's gone even being fired by his own father at one point. This was destined to fail from the start. Like I said McCown has been approached numerous times over the past 4-5 yrs about taking an OC/QB coach job by teams in the NFL more so then being asked to play QB. Dude is incredible smart and a few of his former coaches think he has what it takes to become an NFL coordinator. Kellen Moore went from back up QB in Dal to QB coach of Dal to their OC this year in a short 3 yrs span. 
Can you imagine being fired by your own father?  And this is why I would never put myself in a position where my kids worked for me.

Can you imagine being fired by your own father?  And this is why I would never put myself in a position where my kids worked for me.
Yep I can never trust someone who gets fired by their own father unless dad has some sort of vendetta against their son which doesn't seem to be the case 

And how is Corey Undin still here? He has to be tied to Schwartz 
Not sure but I've heard Undlin and Schwartz have different philosophies what they want in terms of DBs. From what I heard Undlin wasn't big on Sidney Jones and some others who have been brought in via FA or draft. Schwartz is a bit pigheaded and ignorant with his philosophy and ideas and apparently doesn't take his coaches suggestions to light. Like I've heard of coaches butting heads but also working things out and one giving to another or saying let me have this and you can get this instead type thing and come to some sort of agreement. However Schwartz doesn't seem to work that way. Corey has a good NFL Career track record on DBs. I think at this point I'm ok with one or both leaving. Things have to change on that side of the ball especially schemes and what to do in certain scenarios. The stick Defense has to be abolished. Only works when you have DBs who are solid tacklers which we don't have. 

More Bull#### from the NFL according to Adam Scheftar Clowney will not be disciplined or fined for his hit on Wentz. But I bet if that's Brady or Mahomes Flag is thrown in game and CLowney is suspended for this weekend. 

Lurie is the least meddling owner in the league. This move was the same as an executive having to step in to override a supervisor on keeping an employee they're too close to. It doesn't under.ine Doug. It doesn't make Lurie look bad. It's just business. Lurie will have no say in the new OC he was just making sure that the poor performance of the first 3 months of the season was not forgotten for the last one.

Lurie is the least meddling owner in the league. 
That is impossible to know.  We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors.  The fact that Lurie would override his head coach's decision on his assistants is a level of meddling that very few owners would consider doing.  There is even the possibility that Howie Roseman is a figurehead and Lurie is the real general manager.  Roseman is a lawyer that came in with no football background.  It was very strange how he stepped aside for Chip Kelly, stayed in the organization, and then was reinserted as general manager.

That is impossible to know.  We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors.  The fact that Lurie would override his head coach's decision on his assistants is a level of meddling that very few owners would consider doing.  There is even the possibility that Howie Roseman is a figurehead and Lurie is the real general manager.  Roseman is a lawyer that came in with no football background.  It was very strange how he stepped aside for Chip Kelly, stayed in the organization, and then was reinserted as general manager.
Ok Angelo.

NFL hypocrisy. Same as it ever was. I'm less mad now but it's still ridiculous. What are you gonna do. We weren't winning the super bowl this year anyway.
My issue on this is more of NFL consistency and its just PR lip service the Safety rules. I've spoken to several former and current local players in the area who call the "safety rules" absolute bull#### and more CYA's and PR damage control. They only care The NFL only cares about player safety when it's a big named marketable player. Several players especially QBs have come out saying they questioned calls and NFL official telling them well you aren't "Tom Brady or you aren't established enough to get that call." Like Seriously WTF. If its a penalty its a penalty. I think most fans are upset and aggravated by this part and consistency then anything else. This is turning into the NBA where only the star players get a call and thats not a good thing. 

Isn’t it Jon Runyon who makes the call too?
Someone told me they talked to Troy Vincent a few yrs ago. Basically said Vincent admitted to him higher ups in the league office make these calls more than whoever is in charge. The person in charge of discipline is just a sponge to soak in the criticism. League basically has told refs to others to not call anything big unless it's a star player. They are concerned with losing fans because of star players getting hurt or not having enough offense in the league as many fans today cannot sit through a 17-13 game with solid defense. Basically admitted the league safety rules are bull#### and unless you are a star player you ain't getting calls. When people complain about league safety the NFL can just say "see we changed such and such rules to benefit players. So Runyan can say till he's blue in the face Clowney deserves a fine or suspension and it goes on deaf ears. Unless the call is so blatant or an issue like the Browns/Steelers game nothing will be done 

My issue on this is more of NFL consistency and its just PR lip service the Safety rules. I've spoken to several former and current local players in the area who call the "safety rules" absolute bull#### and more CYA's and PR damage control. They only care The NFL only cares about player safety when it's a big named marketable player. Several players especially QBs have come out saying they questioned calls and NFL official telling them well you aren't "Tom Brady or you aren't established enough to get that call." Like Seriously WTF. If its a penalty its a penalty. I think most fans are upset and aggravated by this part and consistency then anything else. This is turning into the NBA where only the star players get a call and thats not a good thing. 
Am I the only one calling BS on this? 

2 things it could be-

1) Who ever personally told you that the NFL officials actually said “Hey, you’re no Tom Brady, so we are gonna cheat and deny you the call so we can throw the game”  is laughing behind your back because you bought it.

Or

2) You are making all this up to justify your stance that the WHOLE NFL is rigged therefore they wanted Clowney to injure Wentz, or another “lesser known player”  (which Wentz is a very well known player, even outside Philadelphia, I assure you). All in the name of “marketability? Wow

So which is it?

Am I the only one calling BS on this? 

2 things it could be-

1) Who ever personally told you that the NFL officials actually said “Hey, you’re no Tom Brady, so we are gonna cheat and deny you the call so we can throw the game”  is laughing behind your back because you bought it.

Or

2) You are making all this up to justify your stance that the WHOLE NFL is rigged therefore they wanted Clowney to injure Wentz, or another “lesser known player”  (which Wentz is a very well known player, even outside Philadelphia, I assure you). All in the name of “marketability? Wow

So which is it?
If you don't believe me just go to report of Carolina claiming the ref telling Cam Newton he wasn't gonna get the call because he wasn't established enough. This isn't some random report. It's been brought up numerous times by teams and or QBs of refs admitting this. The actual comment was Ed Hochulil telling Cam he wasn't old enough to get the call. 

Ok Angelo.
Support what you are saying.  If you can.  Here are some snippets from your local newspaper The Philadelphia Inquirer that this meddling is nothing new for Mr. Lurie:

Then Jeffrey Lurie goes all Jerry Jones on you. From the acquisition of Foles in 2017, which cost Pederson his handpicked backup/spy, Chase Daniel; to re-signing oft-injured, 37-year-old left tackle Jason Peters; to now, making Pederson jettison his least popular coaches, Lurie is becoming more like the oligarch of Texas every day. All he needs is an obnoxious bus and some garish dental work.
The only definitive answer Pederson gave in his season-ending news conference Wednesday regarded Groh and Walsh:

“Both those guys will be back.”

Pederson, who loves making guarantees, flatly declined to offer the same guarantee to defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. That was before Pederson met with Lurie on Thursday.

After that meeting, Groh and Walch were gone, Schwartz was assured a job in Philadelphia if he didn’t get the head-coaching job he interviewed for in Cleveland, and Pederson had to release a statement that made him look like a blithering idiot.

Loved that part about “Much discussion.” Yeah. No kidding.

Guess who hired Jim Schwartz when Pederson took over in 2016? Jeffrey Robert Lurie. He even gave Schwartz his own news conference — in the same room and on the same day as Pederson’s. Jim Schwartz has not been Doug Pederson’s subordinate for one second.

Hence, the blithering idiot press release. Except Doug Pederson is not a blithering idiot.

He’s also not a true head coach.

True head coaches pick their staffs. At least, if they skew toward one side of the ball, they get to pick their assistants. Schwartz might decide the fate of defensive backs coach Corey Undlin, but Pederson should be able to choose his game-planner and receivers coach.

Don’t be fooled. He won’t get to choose them this time, either. Oh, he’ll endorse whomever Lurie and general manager Howie Roseman (and Wentz) hire, be it Redskins failure Jay Gruden, or former coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, or maybe Chiefs quarterbacks coach Mike Kafka, whose ties to the Eagles and the Legend of Andy Reid run deep.

If you don't believe me just go to report of Carolina claiming the ref telling Cam Newton he wasn't gonna get the call because he wasn't established enough. This isn't some random report. It's been brought up numerous times by teams and or QBs of refs admitting this. The actual comment was Ed Hochulil telling Cam he wasn't old enough to get the call. 
I can believe that goes on just like I believe that some of these refs wont change calls even though they were blatantly wrong.  Some are really dumb. Some are egomaniacs themselves and refuse to admit they got the call wrong. Some are scared for their jobs as well and wont admit being wrong for fear of being fired.

I can believe that goes on just like I believe that some of these refs wont change calls even though they were blatantly wrong.  Some are really dumb. Some are egomaniacs themselves and refuse to admit they got the call wrong. Some are scared for their jobs as well and wont admit being wrong for fear of being fired.
I can believe it goes on...   what I don’t believe is that the refs told players straight up, “I’m not giving you that call because you are not Tom Brady, or Dak, or a marketable enough player”.

Thats a bunch of sour grapes. 

I can believe it goes on...   what I don’t believe is that the refs told players straight up, “I’m not giving you that call because you are not Tom Brady, or Dak, or a marketable enough player”.

Thats a bunch of sour grapes. 
What makes you not believe it? Steve Javy admitted to AI and even admitted after retiring from the NBA he'd give Allen Iverson Technical fouls just because he didn't like him and any chance AI argued with him he got T'd up for it. What makes you think some NFL refs with their Egos wouldn't say this. It goes on in all sports. My issue isn't them saying you aren't this guy my issue is the fact the NFL hides behind the blown calls by using NFL Player Safety yet when it comes time to actual player safety they don't do a thing. 

Carson's hit should have been a penalty.  But Lamar Jackson took a hit today that was more blatant than the Wentz hit and it wasn't called.  So it's not just Wentz who isn't getting these type of calls.  The league MVP didn't get it tonight.   :shrug:  

Carson's hit should have been a penalty.  But Lamar Jackson took a hit today that was more blatant than the Wentz hit and it wasn't called.  So it's not just Wentz who isn't getting these type of calls.  The league MVP didn't get it tonight.   :shrug:  
I think it's pretty well understood they call less penalties in the playoffs. There's more an inclination to let the players impact teh game on the field, and keep it out of the refs hands. We might not like it in cases were we think something SHOULD have been called, but we'd probably be more upset if a ticky-tack PI call gave a team a free 40 yards in the 4th quarter of a close game.

If Andy doesn't win a Super Bowl this year he never will.
I think they're set up pretty good for success in the coming years as well.  With the NE dynasty seemingly over, KC has a decent shot to make the SB the next couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread