What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Greatest of All Time Sports Draft-Zow wins, Judges still suck (3 Viewers)

I think we let the pick stand. Are we really going to exclude Josh Gibson again? 
I'm all right with it out of the spirit of the pick... 

... however I'd encourage judges to consider and realize that many of us didn't think he was eligible given the "MLB" limitation.

@timschochet

I’m already judging the two golf ⛳️ categories. If no one else has claimed them, I’d also like to judge the tennis 🎾 categories.

As with the golf categories, I will be judging players by how they did against their peers. The Open era (1968-present) is vastly different from tennis through 1967, but players who played before or straddled the Open era will not be unduly penalized.

dont believe for a second that anyone held off from picking Gibson cuz he wasnt MLB-brand, but i dont want things held up til there's a ruling. keep on keepin on, folks -

dont believe for a second that anyone held off from picking Gibson cuz he wasnt MLB-brand, but i dont want things held up til there's a ruling. keep on keepin on, folks -
I did steer away from Negro League only guys because the category is MLB.  However, I don't have any issue letting them in.  I just wanted clarification.  

Rd 8 MLB Catcher Roy Campanella 

Teddy Ballgame has 2 MVPs, Mike Schmidt won 3 MVPs, time to add another 3 MVPs to our team. His career was cut short by racial discrimination and a car accident that left him paralyzed but his 10 year MLB career is the pinnacle of the catcher position. Part of the first group of African Americans to make an All Stat Game. He threw out 57% of the runners who tried to steal on him- the best mark of any MLB catcher. He has 5 of the 7 best single season percentages in history. Campy was the best defensive catcher ever, a .290 hitter with 30 HR power and worthy of consideration for the top spot in this category. 

Last edited by a moderator:
8.9 Greatest Baseball Player - Stan Musial 

He's the most consistent baseball player ever to play. Despite fighting in the war, he somehow made an incredible 24 all-star games. He won three championships and coached a team to another. If I had to teach a kid how to swing, I'm modeling the swing after Stan. He also held his own in left field and was arguably a better defensive player than Ted Williams. Truly a baseball great. 

Sonja Henie: Greatest Female Skater - Category 57

there's domination of an era, then there's Henie's domination of an era.  

won her first ever competition at the age of 10! (Norwegian Championship).

at the age of 14 she won her first of TEN consecutive World Championships (1927-'36).

the European Championships were introduced in 1931, and she won the first SIX in a row (1931-'36).

only THREE time Olympic gold medal winner in women's single competion: '28, '32, '36.  

the most Olympic & World titles in history are right here.  total dominance.

she was also the first skater to wear a short skirt, first to fully incorporate choreography - she elevated the competition to a more glamorous and technically proficient plateau. she made this the centerpiece of the Winter games, giving it a star power and clout that has resonated ever since. 

went on to become box office gold - Hollywood knew the draw she made herself in to. 

also excelled at tennis and swimming, though skating became the gig that catapulted her, and the sport, into the stratosphere.

8.11 - Joe DiMaggio - Greatest Outfielder

Wish I could have seen him play. Definitely want him on my team. May end up changing him to greatest player depending on who I pick later.

From wiki:

13× All-Star (1936–1942, 1946–1951) 

9× World Series champion (1936–1939, 1941, 1947, 1949–1951)

3× AL MVP (1939, 1941, 1947)

2× AL batting champion (1939, 1940)

2× AL home run leader (1937, 1948)

2× AL RBI leader (1941, 1948)

MLB record 56-game hitting streak

8.11 - Joe DiMaggio - Greatest Outfielder

Wish I could have seen him play. Definitely want him on my team. May end up changing him to greatest player depending on who I pick later.

From wiki:

13× All-Star (1936–1942, 1946–1951) 

9× World Series champion (1936–1939, 1941, 1947, 1949–1951)

3× AL MVP (1939, 1941, 1947)

2× AL batting champion (1939, 1940)

2× AL home run leader (1937, 1948)

2× AL RBI leader (1941, 1948)

MLB record 56-game hitting streak
my favorite Joe D stat:

361 career HRs, 367 career strikeouts 

insane plate discipline/eye - hell, Suarez from the Reds struck out 190 times last year alone ... Adam Dunn (ChiSox) whiffed 222 times in 2012, and so on and so on. 

Reggie struck out 2,557 times, the career "leader" 

This guy here is OK with me. Hard to believe that 4 others were selected ahead of him in the category.

8.12 --  CHRISTY “BIG SIX” MATHEWSON  -- MLB, Greatest Starting Pitcher (3)

A charter member of the Baseball Hall of Fame, Christy’s legacy of pitching dominance is something all others have been chasing since he retired, which was more than 100 years ago. The New York Giants legend put up numbers that top even Walter Johnson’s and include pure dominance in the postseason.

He was among the most dominant pitchers in baseball history, and ranks in the all-time top 10 in several key pitching categories, including wins, shutouts, and ERA.[1] In fact, he is the only professional pitcher in history to rank in the top 10 both in career wins and career ERA.

Over 16 seasons, Mathewson put up a 2.13 ERA, 1.058 WHIP and .665 win-loss percentage, while earning the third-most wins in history with 373. He ruled in the playoffs, finishing his career with a 0.97 ERA in 101.2 innings pitched during the postseason, including a 0.0 ERA during 27 innings in the 1905 playoffs.

In case you missed in … 2.13 Career ERA !!

Welcome aboard Matty!

Holy run on catchers Batman 🙂

Pick coming up guys ...
Just kind of a weird sports position where offensive production is often not expected and there's only 1 playing per team. Infield has 4, outfield has 3 and most of them are expected to add value as a hitter. You find a catcher who hold the defensive side and can rake, that's gold. I assume that is what everyone was thinking here. 

8.13 George Brett- Greatest MLB infielder (5)

I was 11 years old boy from Kansas in 1985 and baseball was my religion and George Brett was the Messiah. He is on the short list of Greatest ever for me.

13-time All-Star (1976-88), MVP ('80), three Silver Sluggers ('80, '85, '88), Gold Glove ('85), Hall of Fame ('99)  He was the first player in Major League history to win batting titles in three decades (1976, 1980 and 1990)His 88.4 offense-only WAR ranks fourth all time.

he has a career stat line of .305/.369/.487, OPS -- .857, Hits -- 3,154, HRs - 317, RBIs -- 1,596

He is One of four players ever to rack up 3,000 hits, 300 homers and a career .300 batting average. The others: Stan Musial, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. 

@AAABatteries

Ok, let me start by saying I don't want to make this pick but I feel almost obligated at this point.   I don't like the guy - never really did but to me despite the controversy he's a top-10 player all-time.

8.14  Barry Bonds - MLB - Greatest Outfielder (6)

1st in Home Runs

4th in all-time WAR

6th in RBIs

my favorite Joe D stat:

361 career HRs, 367 career strikeouts 

insane plate discipline/eye - hell, Suarez from the Reds struck out 190 times last year alone ... Adam Dunn (ChiSox) whiffed 222 times in 2012, and so on and so on. 

Reggie struck out 2,557 times, the career "leader" 
😲

wow, missed that. Incredible. 

8.13 George Brett- Greatest MLB infielder (5)

I was 11 years old boy from Kansas in 1985 and baseball was my religion and George Brett was the Messiah. He is on the short list of Greatest ever for me.

13-time All-Star (1976-88), MVP ('80), three Silver Sluggers ('80, '85, '88), Gold Glove ('85), Hall of Fame ('99)  He was the first player in Major League history to win batting titles in three decades (1976, 1980 and 1990)His 88.4 offense-only WAR ranks fourth all time.

he has a career stat line of .305/.369/.487, OPS -- .857, Hits -- 3,154, HRs - 317, RBIs -- 1,596

He is One of four players ever to rack up 3,000 hits, 300 homers and a career .300 batting average. The others: Stan Musial, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. 

@AAABatteries
Big fan of the 70's Yankee teams, so Brett is someone I both hated and respected immensely. Great, great hitter. 

Plus, he had the best reaction ever to getting called out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbEHAsZxRYo

:unsure:

you really think the pine tar game is greater than Aaron breaking Ruth's record?  or at least a dozen others that i won't spotlight?

WOW  :unsure:

yeah, no. 
of course not. but being a huge royals fan I would have punted the category and picked the pine tar game for kicks.

Ok, let me start by saying I don't want to make this pick but I feel almost obligated at this point.   I don't like the guy - never really did but to me despite the controversy he's a top-10 player all-time.

8.14  Barry Bonds - MLB - Greatest Outfielder (6)

1st in Home Runs

4th in all-time WAR

6th in RBIs
This was a tough call. Without the steroid cloud, he's a top 3 player ever. He had probably the best season ever (walked multiple times with the bases loaded!). Probably the best batting eye ever. And he could field. 

But, you know, steroids. 

This was a tough call. Without the steroid cloud, he's a top 3 player ever. He had probably the best season ever (walked multiple times with the bases loaded!). Probably the best batting eye ever. And he could field. 

But, you know, steroids. 
Agree and that's why everyone stayed away but I feel confident in saying that even if we dock him points for steroids he's in the top 125 athletes all-time.

8.15 - Curt Flood forcing free agency - Greatest Baseball Moment (Category #9)

From wikipedia:

In a letter to Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn, Flood demanded that the commissioner declare him a free agent:

December 24, 1969

After twelve years in the major leagues, I do not feel I am a piece of property to be bought and sold irrespective of my wishes. I believe that any system which produces that result violates my basic rights as a citizen and is inconsistent with the laws of the United States and of the several States.

It is my desire to play baseball in 1970, and I am capable of playing. I have received a contract offer from the Philadelphia club, but I believe I have the right to consider offers from other clubs before making any decision. I, therefore, request that you make known to all Major League clubs my feelings in this matter, and advise them of my availability for the 1970 season.[6][14]

Without this players would not be able to get the free agent contracts and money currently being awarded.  This was a major moment that changed the game forever.

ETA:  other than breaking the color barrier I cannot think of a more important moment for the players and MLB.

Did the steroids make him a jerk or was it his jerkness that drove him to the juice? Inquiring minds want to know!

But he could sure jack them outta da park. 
I was more inclined to stay away from him because he was a jerk than the steroids.  Steroids doesn't really help you hit a baseball.

From wikipedia:

In a letter to Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn, Flood demanded that the commissioner declare him a free agent:

December 24, 1969

After twelve years in the major leagues, I do not feel I am a piece of property to be bought and sold irrespective of my wishes. I believe that any system which produces that result violates my basic rights as a citizen and is inconsistent with the laws of the United States and of the several States.

It is my desire to play baseball in 1970, and I am capable of playing. I have received a contract offer from the Philadelphia club, but I believe I have the right to consider offers from other clubs before making any decision. I, therefore, request that you make known to all Major League clubs my feelings in this matter, and advise them of my availability for the 1970 season.[6][14]

Without this players would not be able to get the free agent contracts and money currently being awarded.  This was a major moment that changed the game forever.
wow

From wikipedia:

December 24, 1969

ETA:  other than breaking the color barrier I cannot think of a more important moment for the players and MLB.
Marvin Miller got this done - Flood put his neck out, yes ... but MM was the key player. 

I was more inclined to stay away from him because he was a jerk than the steroids.  Steroids doesn't really help you hit a baseball.
No, but it does help one recover so much better so that he can hit the ball at 100% every time. 

I once played 80 baseball years in the spring/summer (HS, legion, and amateur ball). I played probably ~4 games/week for several months in a row and oftentimes played several consecutive days in a row. I took it seriously as it was the most important thing in my life at that time so I worked out, consumed little to no alcohol, etc. But still, I recall nights where I was just physically tired and my bat speed dipped or my arm hurt or whatever.

Steroids, to me, aren't necessarily about strength and hitting the ball farther, but instead help the most with keeping one at 100% every night and eliminating fatigue from being a factor.  

Marvin Miller got this done - Flood put his neck out, yes ... but MM was the key player. 
Without Flood v. Kuhn the Seitz Decision never would have happened. Every other North American team sport modeled their contracts on baseball’s Reserve Clause. After Flood the NBA, NFL and NHL could no longer hide behind it.

In Flood v. Kuhn the Supreme Court established that the reserve clause was a legitimate basis for negotiation in collective bargainingbetween players and owners, and that the historic baseball antitrust exemption was valid for baseball only and not applicable to any other sport. Although the Court ruled in baseball's favor 5–3, it admitted the original grounds for the antitrust exemption were tenuous at best, that baseball was indeed interstate commerce for purposes of the act and the exemption was an "anomaly" it had explicitly refused to extend to other professional sports or entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread