What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New computer recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Random

Footballguy
We are looking into two new computers for our household.  Really dont need anything powerful or robust, the most stress they'll get is playing roblox/minecraft and watching youtube.  Open to laptop with docking station (though the one we have now (laptop) hasn't moved since we got it), or desktop.

Where is a good place to start?

eta: we have two chromebooks for mobile needs

Last edited by a moderator:
You can fine plenty of cheap options for low end computers, it's hard to go completely wrong.  The two things I would look for would be minimum 8GB ram and an Intel I5 processor (there is probably an AMD equivalent I just don't know them well).  Some people may say I5 is overkill for what you need, but after a few years of use, I think smaller processors just get bogged down with stuff that gets installed and is running hidden in the back ground.  Looking at Dell.com I see stuff like that $500 w/o monitor.  If you really need/want to go cheaper, you could go to an I3 processor, you just may feel it running slower after a couple years IMO.

If I were trying to buy a quick little PC, I'd probably start here, but I'm sure you can find better deals for other brands looking on Amazon.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-small-desktop/spd/inspiron-3471-desktop/nd3471dszfs

Any opinions on this laptop? Looking to blow my trump check in a new one. Is this a decent deal.Link
Checks most of the boxes for me — solid state drive, i7 processor, 8+ gb RAM. Quad core processor would be ideal, but you can’t really complain for $419. Seems like a pretty nice deal.

I am looking for a new laptop.  No need for all the bells and whistles, however I would like something that is good for Zoom meetings or other similar types of screen meetings.  

Ideally the cheaper the better, but good functionality for Zoom is a must.

Any suggestions?  Any minimum specs to look for?  Link to something that would be good?

Where is a good place to start?
For desktop consider refurbished computers.

These are returned computers to the manufacturer who put them through thorough testing and refurbishing with new parts before offering them up for sale.  They are tested better than most and can be got at incredible discounts.  The most wear and tear they may have are small scratch and dent type cosmetic issues.

I would not recommend refurbished laptops as owners tend to drop and create all sorts of issues whereas desktops tend to have one faulty part that is replaced.

Go to the HP/Dell/Apple etc sights and look up refurbished desktop computers and you will have your pick of many different options and many at huge discounts.

Users who are viewing this thread