Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Iceman03

Kirk Merritt WR Miami Dolphins

Kirk Merritt

6’0 210lbs 

2014 HS SPARQ Champ: 148.83 (Would be 2020 top WR SPARQ, many are estimated due to Covid)

100m: 10.69

Pro day verified by Senior Bowl Scout Josh Cox

40 Time: 4.33

SS: 4.05

Vert: 45.5

Broad: 11”3’

Bench: 23 Reps

Background: Was kicked out of Texas A&M for indecent exposure after abruptly leaving Oregon. Had major offers everywhere coming into college. I’m guessing this was bad enough to lead to his UDFA status as well. Recruited as a RB. 

2018 Highlights

2019 Highlights

40 yd dash

Response to DK Metcalf’s Vert Jump today

• Like 1

Top 150 prospect for me but huge off the field risk. He would have been a top 125ish pick in this draft if he wasn't such a knucklehead. His tape is solid. He's good. 

• Like 1

This kid is super intriguing both from a talent and opportunity perspective. But it's gonna be really hard this offseason to justify having an UDFA - especially WRs - taking up a dynasty roster spot with this truncated team activity situation. We'll likely see the fewest UDFAs on making rosters than we have in a long time, especially with expanded practice squads.

Almost no chance for this kid, especially since UDFAs are going to have an even more difficult time making rosters with the shortened/limited offseason.

Why not Kirk?  He actually reminds me a lot of a very discount Jalen Reagor.  Problem with Merritt is that he mostly played slot, UDFA and not polished at all.  But he is a great athlete and did produce in his short time at Arkansas State.  He's competing with end of roster bad players though.  Same case that Preston had last year, should be easy to make the roster, and if he doesn't then big "uh-oh". 

Competing with Hurns, Ford, and Grant for #4-6 duty, which UDFA wouldn't want to go there?  

The only teams that seem to hold value for an UDFA of making the roster are New England and Seattle without checking other teams past history. Miami HC is from the BB tree so could Miami hit the head of the nail again with Merritt. Preston Williams showed very good progress when given the opportunity.

2 hours ago, Dr. BD said:

He’s had way too much exposure

Does he even merit discussion?

So take this statement with a tiny grain of salt but there are plays he makes that remind me some of Tyreek Hill. I sincerely believe his off field troubles contributed heavily to his not being drafted. If his 40 time is to believed or even if you adhere to the +.05 method he ran a sub 4.4 at 210lbs.

I understand the minimal camps hurt UDFA’s but I think there is an argument here. As previously stated there is a thin depth chart at WR beyond Parker, Gesicki and Williams (who is coming off a decent injury). There is also a thin depth chart at RB. Not saying a position switch is possible just that when you run thin like that it’s important to have some playmakers on the backend. He also has a history of returning kicks which could make his sticking to the roster easier if he proves to be a role player in that area.

I’m hesitant to overhype any UDFA at this point in my FF journey but this is an arbitrage Henry Ruggs that is easy to snag cheap right now.