What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Second Interview Questions (1 Viewer)

BigJohn

Footballguy
Got called for a second interview for an upper-level management position. I’ve never had to do a second interview before. 

I wore a blue suit, white shirt, silver tie to the first interview. Should I change it up?  This is my only suit, so change the shirt and tie. Switch to khaki pants?

Also, what types of questions should I prepare for?  I kind of blew my wad about myself in the first one. Feeling kind of lost here. 

TIA.  :hifive:

Not sure what was asked of you the first time.  Who is interviewing you this time?  Same people, or different people in the department/team that you will be working with directly? 

In my experience it has usually been a confirmation interview where they have another person sit in just to make sure they’ve made the right decision 

One time it was with the team I’d be working with, one time was with another director and this last one had the department VP sit in but in all those cases I felt like I already had the job locked up

Got called for a second interview for an upper-level management position. I’ve never had to do a second interview before. 

I wore a blue suit, white shirt, silver tie to the first interview. Should I change it up?  This is my only suit, so change the shirt and tie. 
Same but this time a gold tie. Let them know you are always improving.

I have always done a 30-90-180 day plan for that type of interview.  Basically, what you would do for them....

1) The first 30 days:  Introduce myself to my team, 1:1's with peers, make connections with supporting business area leaders in other parts of the organization, sit down and shadow workers on their daily process, systems, etc.  Learn the contract/products.

2) The first 90 days:  Identify quick fix items you think would help them.  Identify who you think your high performers with high potential could be.  Lay out more strategic items you want to work on.

3) 180 days and beyond.  Longer term how you see your role.  What things you'd do the entire time (quarterly meetings with Sales) or things you want to eliminate or improve upon.  

In short, let them know you are thinking about more than week 1 and "how much more is my pay gonna be?"

Important to know who's conducting the second interview, as that would guide our answers to some of your other questions.

Where I work we do several interviews.  When I'm hiring I'll do one, then have someone on the team do one, and maybe have someone from an entirely different department conduct an interview just to assess the candidate's fit with company culture, etc. and make sure we're not too myopic about our team makeup.  

Different shirt and tie is fine, doubt they care about your pants (wouldn't mix khaki pants with a blue suit jacket anyway).  

You might end up getting a lot of the same questions you got the first time.  Again, depends on who's doing the interview, but for a lot of people interviewing is not high on their list of skills and they'll be pulling from a list of questions prepared by HR or some website called howtointerviewpeople.net or whatever.  Make sure you know about the role and the company, and have a question or two of your own to ask at the end. 

The job is Assistant Superintendent of Public Works for a city. 
Same 2 people interviewing me as the first time. The Superintendent and head of HR. 

I have always done a 30-90-180 day plan for that type of interview.  Basically, what you would do for them....

1) The first 30 days:  Introduce myself to my team, 1:1's with peers, make connections with supporting business area leaders in other parts of the organization, sit down and shadow workers on their daily process, systems, etc.  Learn the contract/products.

2) The first 90 days:  Identify quick fix items you think would help them.  Identify who you think your high performers with high potential could be.  Lay out more strategic items you want to work on.

3) 180 days and beyond.  Longer term how you see your role.  What things you'd do the entire time (quarterly meetings with Sales) or things you want to eliminate or improve upon.  

In short, let them know you are thinking about more than week 1 and "how much more is my pay gonna be?"
Great info here. My initial plan was asked in the first interview. I focused on building relationships with peers and the 34 direct reports I’ll have under me. So going more in depth here makes a lot of sense. 

BigJohn said:
Same 2 people interviewing me as the first time. The Superintendent and head of HR. 
Gubment. A second interview is generally a standard for upper level management in local government. We tend to weed out most of the interview candidates in the first round and invite the strongest 2 or 3 back to check for cultural fit and ask a few more detail questions. Helps with HR paperwork when you only have to write up a selection summary for 2-3 top candidates instead of 10 qualified candidates.

Drunken Cowboy said:
I think this is certainly true for entry level, but for an upper level position, I would get another suit.
It is local government. One suit for the occasional Board meeting or public hearing is fine. The only people that need more than one are the Department heads. Executive level types.

I am State Government management and I wear jeans and a polo damn near every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
BigJohn said:
Just curious:
Did they interview you as a pair or separate meetings?
And what interview style was it?      Conversational Dialogue?    some Behavioral scenario questions? 

kind of odd that it's only the same people interviewing you again..........in all my yrs of experience, after you have interviewed someone, you kind of "know" who your top candidate is, and who you have eliminated.   Don't see the point unless they didn't allow enough time for the 1st interview OR it's some kind of weird policy reqmt.  

BigJohn said:
they specifically want to see if you change outfits.  don’t blow this.  men’s warehouse, i gurrenty it!

Users who are viewing this thread