What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Protest-RIOT Thread*** Police Officers fleeing Seattle and urban areas. (1 Viewer)

The Kentucky AG will soon announce no charges in the Breonna Taylor murder. He will do this now, before the election, in hopes that “rioting and looting” will be met by vigilantes in the street. It’s been over 150 days, but waiting until after Election Day will deprive the administration its Law and Order opportunity. Don’t fall for it Louisville. Vote. 
This is coming down today. Hopefully people protest safely or better yet, protest by voting.  

Really not sure.  Do tourists paying over 200 a night for a hotel usually like being in the middle of nightly riot/protest situations?  Do they like eating at an outdoor cafe and have their food and drinks knocked off tables while protesters are screaming at them?  Do tourists like being concerned about their safety?

If no it may have a little to do with it. 
Love the snark.  

Maybe I should have been more specific.  I have never had the desire to travel to Portland, so I dont know the level of tourism.  How much was the protests, and how much was stuff like covid maybe taking out business travel and meetings? Not knowing the Portland hotel scene, I was curious 

Love the snark.  

Maybe I should have been more specific.  I have never had the desire to travel to Portland, so I dont know the level of tourism.  How much was the protests, and how much was stuff like covid maybe taking out business travel and meetings? Not knowing the Portland hotel scene, I was curious 
I believe the articles say "yes" and Portland didn't have any factors that would have made them unusually lower than other cities that had plummeted due to Covid.  

I spent three months this summer in a hotel in NC for business and it was dead. I got to know the GM there and we talked about it. He said that even though his place was about 50%, it would be far worse if it weren't right on the Interstate and represented a natural stopping point between New York and Florida.  He had a lot of data from all around the country. At the time, all the major cities you would expect looked the same. I do not remember seeing any that were as dire as mentioned in this post. 

The Kentucky AG will soon announce no charges in the Breonna Taylor murder. He will do this now, before the election, in hopes that “rioting and looting” will be met by vigilantes in the street. It’s been over 150 days, but waiting until after Election Day will deprive the administration its Law and Order opportunity. Don’t fall for it Louisville. Vote. 
I think it had more to do with due process and the time it takes to put things into place. The other option would be to?? Shoot first and let someone else sort it out if they got it right or do nothing and be accused of taking no action at all.  

I believe the articles say "yes" and Portland didn't have any factors that would have made them unusually lower than other cities that had plummeted due to Covid.  

I spent three months this summer in a hotel in NC for business and it was dead. I got to know the GM there and we talked about it. He said that even though his place was about 50%, it would be far worse if it weren't right on the Interstate and represented a natural stopping point between New York and Florida.  He had a lot of data from all around the country. At the time, all the major cities you would expect looked the same. I do not remember seeing any that were as dire as mentioned in this post. 
I think the article said that business/hotel owners of Portland said "yes", that's not a study or anything.  I was just curious, but I am guessing they are looking at what % hotels are down all over the country vs what they are in places like Portland and Chicago.  

I think the article said that business/hotel owners of Portland said "yes", that's not a study or anything.  I was just curious, but I am guessing they are looking at what % hotels are down all over the country vs what they are in places like Portland and Chicago.  
Kind of off-skew of your direct topic but in Chicago I can tell you for a fact that the retail sector is decimated in comparison as a direct result.  I know people personally who always go to Chicago for a few days of leisure and shopping and they avoided it this year for that very reason.  Small sample but I would say its typical more than not. 

Kind of off-skew of your direct topic but in Chicago I can tell you for a fact that the retail sector is decimated in comparison as a direct result.  I know people personally who always go to Chicago for a few days of leisure and shopping and they avoided it this year for that very reason.  Small sample but I would say its typical more than not. 
My wife and two daughters go to Chicago every year with a couple other moms and their daughters.  Usually 8-10 make the trip all of drinking age.  They take the train from Ann Arbor MI. get rooms and spend a long weekend there shopping, eating out and drinking.  Everyone bailed out on the trip this year saying they just were not comfortable after watching everything on the news going on there in that district.   I assume many others felt the same way.

That is some creepy stuff...the person sitting down looks like they are from another planet...amazing that this behavior is seen as being OK by certain people but we are in a means to an ends time.
Yeah for sure.  I'd have probably ended up in the hospital after getting gang beat because I'd have had to dump that thing out of the chair.  

Yeah for sure.  I'd have probably ended up in the hospital after getting gang beat because I'd have had to dump that thing out of the chair.  
I always find the wearing of masks as comical by these people...I will harass you, swear at you, call you a racist and I may even beat you but I promise I will not give you corona...deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always find the wearing of masks as comical by these people...I will harass you, swear at you, call you a racist and I may even beat you but I promise I will not give you corona...deal?
I think the mask is as much to hide identity more than any real concern. It’s just an excuse to have a mask. When you are there to do bad things you don’t want people to know who you are or be able to identify you. 

I think the mask is as much to hide identity more than any real concern. It’s just an excuse to have a mask. When you are there to do bad things you don’t want people to know who you are or be able to identify you. 
Looks cool when he rides his skateboard as well...

Looks cool when he rides his skateboard as well...
Ha yeah. My favorite of the go to moves is all the big boy cursing they are brave enough to do with the numbers. It’s actually pretty sad in a way. While you can’t see everything you can tell they are pretty weird individuals or misfits in many of these cases. Probably why they are so bitter and so ready to join a cause to feel a part of the group. It’s pretty obvious some of these folks are more anti society than they are pro BLM. 

What if the people eating were down with the cause? 
I don't expect that it would matter to most of the crowd.  The number of others so focused on filming leads me to believe the group didn't care about anything other posting a video to show how intimidating they could be.  What did we have, 50+ people picking on an older couple - nice.    And @Cowboysfan8 is right - this could move from intimidation to a violent response before too long.

I don't expect that it would matter to most of the crowd.  The number of others so focused on filming leads me to believe the group didn't care about anything other posting a video to show how intimidating they could be.  What did we have, 50+ people picking on an older couple - nice.    And @Cowboysfan8 is right - this could move from intimidation to a violent response before too long.
Free lance photographers can get a nice check for pictures. One of the guys taking pictures at the table looks like a professional photgrapher.  Also if you watch the video on St Petes local news feed the  guys that were sitting at the table and blowing the horn were the same guys standing on the car at the intersection.  So it does see a bit planeed to get photos.

What if the people eating were down with the cause? 
I think for the guys at the table, if they could afford to be eating dinner out they weren't with the cause.  Just my opinion but the ones doing that kind of thing are more anti society than pro BLM.  At the very least, their gripe is with society at large and not just BLM.

I think for the guys at the table, if they could afford to be eating dinner out they weren't with the cause.  Just my opinion but the ones doing that kind of thing are more anti society than pro BLM.  At the very least, their gripe is with society at large and not just BLM.
I agree that it has evolved into way more than BLM but liberals go out to eat dinner too. 

I agree that it has evolved into way more than BLM but liberals go out to eat dinner too. 
True.  But these acts are totally random and mob action mentality fueled.  Just like businesses that are looted or set on fire, there's no real concern as to the owner's politics or skin color.  

This poll shows that more Americans now disapprove of protests than approve. So it pretty much confirms the inverse correlation between violence and public support. Without public support for protests, then the otherwise noble pursuit of sensible police reform is at risk of becoming completely derailed.

Pretty amazing how many liberals don't get this.

AP-NORC poll: Support for racial injustice protests declines

44% of Americans disapprove of protests in response to police violence against Black Americans, while 39% approve. In June, 54% approved.

Hipelious, who is white, said his support for the protests soured when he saw violent unrest, arson and looting that marred the largely peaceful demonstrations following Floyd’s death.

BriAndia Andrews, 21, of Bloomington, Illinois, who is Black, said she believes most of the protests have been done “correctly.” Still, she feels “our voices are not going to be heard once you have people looting and stuff like that.”

https://apnews.com/article/breonna-taylor-race-and-ethnicity-shootings-police-new-york-24af876f135f529d95c9c857ad9aaa0e

Should be “poor lives matter.” Conservatives that point to the white people that get shot by police and say “all lives matter” are right in the sense that police are gunning down lots of people (and probably justifiably most of the time.) I’m just spitballing here, but I’d bet 95% or better of people shot by police are in the lower 1/4 of earners. Doubt the guy getting pulled over in his Lexus is getting a gun drawn on him, regardless of race.

Snorkelson said:
Should be “poor lives matter.” Conservatives that point to the white people that get shot by police and say “all lives matter” are right in the sense that police are gunning down lots of people (and probably justifiably most of the time.) I’m just spitballing here, but I’d bet 95% or better of people shot by police are in the lower 1/4 of earners. Doubt the guy getting pulled over in his Lexus is getting a gun drawn on him, regardless of race.
Interesting theory on income.  Wonder what the stats are on education?  How many college educated people are shot by the police? Or are educated people better equipped to follow instructions?

Love the snark.  

Sorry, no snark was intended.  Those are some of the main reasons nobody is staying there or eating out in downtown Portland.

I have never had the desire to travel to Portland, so I dont know the level of tourism.  How much was the protests, and how much was stuff like covid maybe taking out business travel and meetings? Not knowing the Portland hotel scene, I was curious 
https://www.kgw.com/article/money/business/portland-safety-hotel-leaders-visitors-concerned/283-4fba3c51-0fc4-4a8f-af53-df896b795f88

“Make no mistake, we are in a tough spot in Portland," said Jason Brandt, president and CEO of the Oregon Restaurant and Lodging Association. "We have the worst occupancy rates in the entire country for like-sized markets. We are even behind Oahu, which has a 14-day quarantine, so we have a lot of work to do to showcase what Portland is."

Good, long over due.   Hopefully they will keep it until the city settles down.  :thumbup:   Feel bad for the downtown residents and business owners there.  Hopefully both sides can be peaceful.
When exactly is it that you would predict that the city will "settle down"?

Here is an article from 9 years ago, describing the the Occupy Portland movement making it's last stand.   

I don't recommend taking out an SBA loan and opening a business in downtown Portland unless you have a relative who is a bankruptcy attorney and your only desire is to drive business to them. 

KarmaPolice said:
No. 

So you think the proud boys coming to town is going to calm things down? It will be a net positive? 
As long as the other group does not interfere at all it should be OK.  If the other protesters interfere probably not.   

As long as the other group does not interfere at all it should be OK.  If the other protesters interfere probably not.   
Lol. Ok.   

I take it you are saying the Proud Boys are rolling in with peaceful intent, and if it doesn't go that way it's solely on the heads of the current protesters? 

Lol. Ok.   

I take it you are saying the Proud Boys are rolling in with peaceful intent, and if it doesn't go that way it's solely on the heads of the current protesters? 
Peaceful?   The current have been peaceful?  

People have died, business`s have been trashed, they have tried to set fire to federal buildings and police stations.  That is peaceful? I have no idea what the rally will bring but they won`t fight among themselves so let each have their own area.

Peaceful?   The current have been peaceful?  

People have died, business`s have been trashed, they have tried to set fire to federal buildings and police stations.  That is peaceful? I have no idea what the rally will bring but they won`t fight among themselves so let each have their own area.
Did I say that they have been peaceful so far? I asked if you thought the arrival of the Proud Boys into the situation was going to make it better. 

Users who are viewing this thread