What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ravens/Steelers Debacle - POLL INSIDE (1 Viewer)

If game can not be played should the game be rescheduled for a week 18?

• Yes

Votes: 108 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 92 46.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What a mess.  Can't they just cancel all of next week (except for the Steelers/Ravens game), and push the season back a week?  Let every player isolate and chill out for a week to stop the spread.

I'm sure the Broncos appreciate the league's flexibility in moving games around to minimize the competitive effect of covid outbreaks.
I don't think you understand how this is working. 3 players that were confined to each other versus 20+ and a coach/assistant that were in amongst everyone and cases still rising. Denver did not have any other cases/positives show past the first. Baltimore is still having positives. 

I'm watching ESPN's Monday Night Countdown, and Adam Schefter just reported that the Ravens-Steelers game will be played on Wednesday AFTERNOON on NBC because NBC still wants to air the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in Rockefeller Center.  At least it didn't get canceled.

This is absolute worst case for those counting on Edwards this week.  (me)
Worst case would be game doesn’t happen and you take a 0...

Edit- or I guess the worst case was you’re like me and play Hinton over Gus because surely he’s going to carry the ball 10+ times and not actually try to throw it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst case would be game doesn’t happen and you take a 0...

Edit- or I guess the worst case was you’re like me and play Hinton over Gus because surely he’s going to carry the ball 10+ times and not actually try to throw it. 
Nope, all my leagues have contingencies if this game was cancelled.  So I designated a player to take over for Edwards if the game was cancelled and would be okay.  Since the game is NOT cancelled, I have to leave Gus in the starting spot.  I assume many will be in this boat.

Nope, all my leagues have contingencies if this game was cancelled.  So I designated a player to take over for Edwards if the game was cancelled and would be okay.  Since the game is NOT cancelled, I have to leave Gus in the starting spot.  I assume many will be in this boat.
Ah yeah that makes sense. One of my leagues has that contingency as well. Didn’t think of it like that. Maybe it will still be cancelled!

My one league had contingencies week 5 for the Bills/Chiefs.  None since as no one asked,   I have D. Johnson to play down by 6, I wanted to slot Reagor as a contingency in case the game doesn't play.  Other teams spout off it's unfair.  Say it's like starting 2 guys and take the highest points.  Not going to allow it. 

Sticking with D. Johnson but not happy with the commish for being inconsistent.

In the league I am the commish of we allow contingency starters for any game that is played after Sunday just in case.  They have to be named on Sunday.

In the league I am the commish of we allow contingency starters for any game that is played after Sunday just in case.  They have to be named on Sunday.
Same.  But this really screwed those who started Edwards as they can't use their contingency since the game is still on, and he goes from starter to 3rd rb with the day change.

I think Gus is ahead of Ingram in the pecking order as of now. Might still get 8-10 touches

Same.  But this really screwed those who started Edwards as they can't use their contingency since the game is still on, and he goes from starter to 3rd rb with the day change.

rick6668 said:
My one league had contingencies week 5 for the Bills/Chiefs.  None since as no one asked,   I have D. Johnson to play down by 6, I wanted to slot Reagor as a contingency in case the game doesn't play.  Other teams spout off it's unfair.  Say it's like starting 2 guys and take the highest points.  Not going to allow it. 

Sticking with D. Johnson but not happy with the commish for being inconsistent.
This is silly thinking by your league mates. You chose your STARTER and the contingency is if his game doesn’t even get played. Therefore you don’t have 2 choices of players to take the highest score you just have one player to pivot to who actually played. I know you know but I’m gonna preach!!

After all the accommodations that the league provided the Ravens, what happens if the Steelers get a batch of positive tests today?

After all the accommodations that the league provided the Ravens, what happens if the Steelers get a batch of positive tests today?
If the cases can be traced and close contacts isolated they’d play the game. If there’s active spread, it will be cancelled. Assuming batch means several cases, you’d expect that to be the latter scenario.

And the accommodations given the Ravens won’t be a factor.

They should either be playing tonight or Thursday (or cancel the game due to the outbreak).  A Wednesday afternoon game is such a thumb of the nose to fans.

I assume the NFL didn't want a Week 12 game bleeding into the beginning of Week 13, but why not just adjust and have the Steelers and Ravens just have all of their games for the rest of the season take place on Thursday night?  Push the playoffs and SB 2 weeks back.  Not like there are any conflicts at stadiums these days. 

I have no issue with the game being postponed a few times because of positive tests and contact tracing.  But there should not be an advantage given to the team at fault.  Like why would the Ravens get the extra rest day for next week instead of the Steelers -- or why not move next week to Tuesday for both of them??  Having the Steelers play Wednesday and Monday with Baltimore getting Tuesday is a joke. 

They should either be playing tonight or Thursday (or cancel the game due to the outbreak).  A Wednesday afternoon game is such a thumb of the nose to fans.

I assume the NFL didn't want a Week 12 game bleeding into the beginning of Week 13, but why not just adjust and have the Steelers and Ravens just have all of their games for the rest of the season take place on Thursday night?  Push the playoffs and SB 2 weeks back.  Not like there are any conflicts at stadiums these days. 

I have no issue with the game being postponed a few times because of positive tests and contact tracing.  But there should not be an advantage given to the team at fault.  Like why would the Ravens get the extra rest day for next week instead of the Steelers -- or why not move next week to Tuesday for both of them??  Having the Steelers play Wednesday and Monday with Baltimore getting Tuesday is a joke. 
You think the Steelers would be happy playing the Bills the following Sunday after a Tuesday game? If you give them one more day of rest before the WFT game, you’re taking one day of rest away from them before the Bills game.

You think the Steelers would be happy playing the Bills the following Sunday after a Tuesday game? If you give them one more day of rest before the WFT game, you’re taking one day of rest away from them before the Bills game.
Probably would have to move that to Monday and then you can reset to something normal thereafter.  I guess the NFL has never shown that they cared for the players' bodies needing rest, or they would not have made Thursday games a regular thing in the first place.

There're no good options. The best option left at this point is play the game Wednesday afternoon, or Ravens forfeit since they're the ones that broke the rules and caused the game to be moved from Thanksgiving. Don't push the game to week 18 and cause 2 teams to play while everyone else is on bye, that's an idiotic solution. Don't cancel the game and give the team that broke the rules a shot at a playoff spot because they ignored protocols. Play, or forfeit. Those should be the two options. If positive tests get popped today/tomorrow, Ravens also forfeit because they caused the initial slip and threatened to strike. 

If the original outbreak was no fault of the Ravens, then pushing the game or cancelling would be on the table, but they broke the rules and should be the main team to pay the price. The Steelers shouldn't pay the bulk of the price because the Ravens broke protocol and ignored symptoms. 

Probably would have to move that to Monday and then you can reset to something normal thereafter.  I guess the NFL has never shown that they cared for the players' bodies needing rest, or they would not have made Thursday games a regular thing in the first place.
But the Ravens already have a game scheduled that Monday so why move that to a double header when you can just keep the Ravens game solo that Monday and give each team 6 days rest by slotting the Ravens Tuesday? People are looking for reasons to conclude that the NFL is favoring the Ravens and it’s just not logical. The NFL favors making money and all the avenues that lead to that.

But the Ravens already have a game scheduled that Monday so why move that to a double header when you can just keep the Ravens game solo that Monday and give each team 6 days rest by slotting the Ravens Tuesday? People are looking for reasons to conclude that the NFL is favoring the Ravens and it’s just not logical. The NFL favors making money and all the avenues that lead to that.
How many people are going to watch Wednesday at 3:40?

Addressing the other portion of your response regarding $$.
It’s been said that NBC and something to do with a Christmas tree lighting was a factor for the time. I don’t think it’s realistic to play it Thursday without moving more games off this weekend. And Tuesday wasn’t an option either to give the Ravens a chance to practice for the first time in several days or to give more time without positive tests.

How many people are going to watch Wednesday at 3:40?
:hey:

I will but I definitely don't like it.  They should have scheduled the game for 7:00 or 8:00 and if NBC passed to air the Christmas Tree lighting then move the game to the NFL Network on Wednesday and give NBC the Thursday night game.

:hey:

I will but I definitely don't like it.  They should have scheduled the game for 7:00 or 8:00 and if NBC passed to air the Christmas Tree lighting then move the game to the NFL Network on Wednesday and give NBC the Thursday night game.
No Thursday night game this week.  Was supposed to be Ravens/Cowboys I believe.

A Wednesday afternoon game is such a thumb of the nose to fans.

I assume the NFL didn't want a Week 12 game bleeding into the beginning of Week 13
I think the league knows the game will be a sham and don't want a wide audience to witness since it will be as bad if not worse than the Bronco game.

Steeler fans should be thankful that they not only get a win, they get a win against a divisional opponent and the win should be a run away which helps their chances of getting a valuable bye when other teams are beating themselves up in the playoffs.  

The early bye happened when many teams were dealing with bumps-and-bruises and more serious injuries and this week is like getting another bye heading into the home stretch.  

I think the league knows the game will be a sham and don't want a wide audience to witness since it will be as bad if not worse than the Bronco game.

Steeler fans should be thankful that they not only get a win, they get a win against a divisional opponent and the win should be a run away which helps their chances of getting a valuable bye when other teams are beating themselves up in the playoffs.  

The early bye happened when many teams were dealing with bumps-and-bruises and more serious injuries and this week is like getting another bye heading into the home stretch.  
There is one thing I have learned in years of watching the NFL.  There is no such thing as an automatic win.  The Ravens will have Dobbins, Ingram back as well as Edwards.  They also have RG3, who is no slouch and beat them last year.  Also the way Jackson has been playing, RGIII might be a good thing for the Ravens.

There is one thing I have learned in years of watching the NFL.  There is no such thing as an automatic win.  The Ravens will have Dobbins, Ingram back as well as Edwards.  They also have RG3, who is no slouch and beat them last year.  Also the way Jackson has been playing, RGIII might be a good thing for the Ravens.
Unless the Ravens' O-line is heavily compromised (as opposed to missing a guy or two), I think Godsbrother is right on. There's no comparison between practice-squad WR K. Hinton and RGIII.

I'm sure the Broncos appreciate the league's flexibility in moving games around to minimize the competitive effect of covid outbreaks.
Paradoxically -- the Broncos needed to keep trotting our more positive cases to get the Saints game moved. Can strategically-faked positive cases be far behind at this point?

Unless the Ravens' O-line is heavily compromised (as opposed to missing a guy or two), I think Godsbrother is right on. There's no comparison between practice-squad WR K. Hinton and RGIII.
It’s heavily compromised. Stanley out for the year, rookie starting guard possibly back from IR, top 2 centers on Covid list, right tackle shuffled over to left side, best blocking TE out with injury, Andrews out with Covid, Ricard out with Covid. And don’t be ridiculous RG3 is light years away from Lamar, that’s pure insanity from the guy to suggest otherwise.

Their is no comparison of a full roster Raven team and whatever they will field if the game is played tomorrow.

The Browns play the Ravens in two weeks when everyone should be back for Baltimore. 

I bet they'd trade and play the Ravens this week and allow Pittsburgh to face them in two weeks.  

It’s heavily compromised. Stanley out for the year, rookie starting guard possibly back from IR, top 2 centers on Covid list, right tackle shuffled over to left side, best blocking TE out with injury, Andrews out with Covid, Ricard out with Covid. And don’t be ridiculous RG3 is light years away from Lamar, that’s pure insanity from the guy to suggest otherwise.
I am in no way suggesting that RGII is better but Lamar has not been playing well this year.  He is ranked 24th in passing yards in the NFL, has been sacked more than either of his first two seasons and he's turned the ball over 9 times.   In his first matchup with the Steelers he was 13 of 28 for 208 yards with 2 picks,  fumbled three times (lost 2) and was sacked four times.  It's gonna take some work for RGIII to match that stat line.

Missing a few weeks might be the best thing for Lamar.

Their is no comparison of a full roster Raven team and whatever they will field if the game is played tomorrow.

The Browns play the Ravens in two weeks when everyone should be back for Baltimore. 

I bet they'd trade and play the Ravens this week and allow Pittsburgh to face them in two weeks.  
Of course not. All I was saying is that no game is a gimme in the NFL. 

I remember the Steelers losing to the expansion Houston Texans by 18 points in a game they out gained the Texans by 375 yards.   Anything can happen in the NFL 

I am in no way suggesting that RGII is better but Lamar has not be playing well this year.  He is ranked 24th in passing yards in the NFL, has been sacked more than either of his first two seasons and he's turned the ball over 9 times.   In his first matchup with the Steelers he was 13 of 28 for 208 yards with 2 picks,  fumbled three times (lost 2) and was sacked four times.  It's gonna take some work for RGIII to match that stat line.

Missing a few weeks might be the best thing for Lamar.
No doubt he’s well off from last year for a variety of reasons but Lamar not playing to that standard is still a top 10 asset at Qb. RG3 wouldn’t likely crack the top 40. Citing his passing yards as 24th doesn’t do much when he was 22nd last year and we know that’s not the top thing he brings to the table. 

If it turns out that the Steelers' front seven have virtually free run into the Ravens' backfield ... then yeah, this truly will be no contest.

If it turns out that the Steelers' front seven have virtually free run into the Ravens' backfield ... then yeah, this truly will be no contest.
This is going to be a blowout by the Steelers n matter how hard the NFL has tried to avoid it.  

Of course not. All I was saying is that no game is a gimme in the NFL. 

I remember the Steelers losing to the expansion Houston Texans by 18 points in a game they out gained the Texans by 375 yards.   Anything can happen in the NFL 
The Ravens had 23 guys on COVID yesterday morning.  I don't know how many were/are positive and don't know the short and long term implications and mentioned it in the Ezekiel Elliot thread prior to the season because some people who contracted the virus, see Von Miller, reported it took something out of them.  

The Ravens haven't practiced since November 21st.  They are depleted and the guys they will get back my not be 100%.  I think its going to be a slaughter because it is in Pittsburgh's best interest to run it up on the Ravens and they'd probably relish the idea of rubbing their faces in it.  

I don't know what the line is but I'd give the points and take Pittsburgh with confidence in this one IF it gets played.

For the record, Dobbins and Ingram will be eligible to come off the COVID list on Wednesday, but they still need to be cleared by the team doctor.

Also, neither one of them has played football since last Sunday, so they're probably not in game-day shape right now.
They missed like 10 days. Of course they’re in game day shape.

Users who are viewing this thread