What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1990 - #1 George Michael - Freedom '90 (3 Viewers)

scorchy

Footballguy
So, 1990... I went into this exercise with high hopes - it was the year I graduated high school in a small backwards-*** Maryland town and headed 800 miles south to Gainesville, FL for a new adventure. I remember the music that year being amazing, but I must have been thinking of 1991 (which for me is the best of my music-conscious life and I'm likely saving for last).

The good from 1990 - a few classic alternative albums and one classic hip hop album, a little bit of Seattle before grunge even had a name, leftover synthpop, and the e-drenched sounds of Madchester.
The bad from 1990 - hair metal was taking it's last gasps, AOR/classic rock was pretty much dead too, most (but not all) R&B had gone the way of ####ty pop. and the ascendance of a certain no-talent ***-clown.

To get the fine print out of the way, I'm using the same criteria as my other countdowns ('86, '88, '94, and '96):

In trying to reflect the sounds of a year, I'm using the single release date as the primary criterion, with album release date being secondary if the song wasn't released as a single. The rankings reflect a mix of my personal opinion, popularity, staying power, and critical acclaim, and should not be taken seriously.

Will kick this off once I get a little bit of work done. Warning though, it starts out a little slow.

#101 Eric Clapton - Bad Love
#100 Enuff Z'Nuff - Fly High Michelle
#99 Mellow Man Ace - Mentirosa
#98 Eleventh Dream Day - Testify
#97 Jon Bon Jovi - Blaze of Glory
#96 John Wesley Harding - The Devil in Me
#95 INXS - Suicide Blonde
#94 Cocteau Twins - Cherry Coloured Funk
#93 Slaughter - Fly to the Angels
#92 Go West - The King of Wishful Thinking
#91 Anything Box - Living in Oblivion
#90 The Cure - Never Enough
#89 The Lemonheads - Different Drum
#88 - Aerosmith - What it Takes
#87 The Jungle Brothers (feat. De La Soul, Q-Tip, and Monie Love) - Doin’ Our Own Dang
#86 Inspiral Carpets - Commercial Reign
#85 Billy Idol - Cradle of Love
#84 Jane Child - Don't Wanna Fall in Love
#83 Poison - Something to Believe In
#82 Sisters of Mercy - More
#81 Guns-n'-Roses - Knockin' on Heaven's Door
#80 Fugazi - Merchandise
#79 Primal Scream - Loaded
#78 Motley Crue - Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
#77 Electronic - Getting Away With It
#76 Public Enemy - 911 is a Joke
#75 Tom Petty - Yer So Bad
#74 Jellyfish - That is Why
#73 Soho - Hippychick
#72 Cinderella - Shelter Me
#71 Tevin Campbell - Round and Round
#70 Living Colour - Love Rears It's Ugly Head
#69 AC/DC - Moneytalks
#68 SNAP! - The Power
#67 Soup Dragons - I'm Free
#66 Queensryche - Best I Can
#65 Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mine
#64 Pixies - Velouria
#63 The Breeders - Iris
#62 Tesla - Signs
$61 Primus - John the Fisherman
#60 Mariah Carey - Someday
#59 Uncle Tupelo - Whiskey Bottle
#58 Charlatans UK - The Only One I Know
#57 The La's - Timeless Melody
#56 - The Lightning Seeds - Pure
#55 The Smithereens - Yesterday Girl
#54 They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul
#53 A Tribe Called Quest - Bonita Applebum
#52 Urban Dance Squad - Deeper Shade of Soul
#51 World Party - Way Down Now
#50 The Church - Metropolis
#49 AC/DC - Thunderstruck
#48 Social Distortion - Story of My Life
#47 Nirvana - Sliver
#46 Superchunk - Slack Mother****er
#45 Black Crowes - Hard to Handle
#44 Faith No More - Falling to Pieces
#43 Depeche Mode - Halo
#42 Concrete Blonde - Joey
#41 Pantera - Cemetery Gates
#40 The Smithereens (feat. Belinda Carlisle) - Blue Period
#39 Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
#38 Queensryche - Another Rainy Night
#37 Madonna - Vogue
#36 Ride - Vapour Trail
#35 Public Enemy - Welcome to the Terrordome
#34 Happy Mondays - Step On
#33 Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians - A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall
#32 Janet Jackson - Love Will Never Do (Without You)
#31 The Sundays - Here's Where the Story Ends
#30 Pixies - The Happening
#29 Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing
#28 Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places
#27 Iggy Pop (feat Kate Pierson) - Candy
#26 Peter Murphy - Cuts You Up
#25 WIlson Phillips - Hold On
#24 En Vogue - Hold On
#23 Sinead O’Connor - The Emperor’s New Clothes
#22 Mother Love Bone - Stargazer
#21 Jane's Addiction - Stop
#20 Depeche Mode - World in My Eyes
#19 Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance
#18 Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
#17 Guns N' Roses - Civil War
#16 Sonic Youth - Kool Thing
#15 Social Distortion - Ball and Chain
#14 George Michael - Praying for Time
#13 Alice in Chains - Man in the Box
#12 The Black Crowes - Jealous Again
#11 A Tribe Called Quest - I Left My Wallet in El Segundo
#10 Bell Biv Devoe - Poison
#9 Nine Inch Nails - Head Like a Hole
#8 A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It?
#7 Faith No More - Epic
#6 Deee-Lite - Groove is in the Heart
#5 Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
#4 Jane's Addiction - Three Days
#3 The Cure - Pictures of You
#2 Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
#1 George Michael - Freedom '90

Last edited:
Let's get this started with two (dis)honorable mentions and a first 5 out.

First, two songs that scream 1990 to me are kind-of terrible and I couldn't include them in the list, but I love them anyway:

New Order - World in Motion: recorded for the 1990 World Cup, I loved New Order and had just started to love soccer so I thought this song was great. It's not. The John Barnes rap is comical. Bernard Sumner called it "the last straw for Joy Division fans."

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby: I remember the first time I heard this on the radio in my own Mustang (definitely not the 5.0). I knew it was terrible and made a gas-face whenever it got played in my presence. I feel like somehow it's had a guilty pleasure resurgence. I mean, I change the station immediately if MC Hammer's U Can't Touch This (also from 1990) comes on, but today, I'll ride with Ice and rap right along with him. Yeah, I know, it still sucks though.

First 5 Out:

Candyman - Knockin' Boots: Ooh boy, I love you so, never ever ever gonna let you go. Intro by Tone Loc. Rose Royce sample. #9 on the Hot 100, #5 R&B, #1 Rap. Total guilty pleasure 1-hit wonder.

Morrissey - November Spawned A Monster: still loved the Moz at this point but his 1990 record was a disappointment to me after 1988's Viva Hate. Maybe the most Morrissey video ever.

Hunters and Collectors - When the River Runs Dry: Australia in the house.

Ice Cube - Jackin' for Beats: It was a big year for Ice Cube, but by the time I graduated, I was over my typical suburban white kid NWA fixation. Tons of great samples here though.

Roxette - Must Have Been Love: This felt like a much better song when I was all sad in Gainesville after leaving my GF back home. There will be a different and more deserving entry from the Pretty Women soundtrack forthcoming.

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby: I remember the first time I heard this on the radio in my own Mustang (definitely not the 5.0). I knew it was terrible and made a gas-face whenever it got played in my presence. I feel like somehow it's had a guilty pleasure resurgence. I mean, I change the station immediately if MC Hammer's U Can't Touch This (also from 1990) comes on, but today, I'll ride with Ice and rap right along with him. Yeah, I know, it still sucks though.
The Under Pressure bassline is hard to resist in any context, so one cannot be blamed for not changing the channel. Ice Ice Baby is, was and always has been terrible, though.

According to Wiki:

"When the River Runs Dry" is the first single from the Australian pub rock band Hunters & Collectors' sixth album, Ghost Nation. The song peaked at number 23 in Australia and number 41 in New Zealand. The band performed the song on Late Night With David Letterman in 1990.

Lead singer Mark Seymour stated the song was about middle class excess, the end of the world, rampant greed and the decline of western civilisation. The music video loosely investigated the encroaching effect of surveillance on daily life, but was accompanied with images of very attractive women engaged in a range of activities, from drinking champagne to hanging out clothes on a Hills hoist.

It was nominated for an ARIA as Song of the Year. Maybe ask @John Maddens Lunchbox

November Spawned A Monster

the cattiest, b1tchiest ever put to vinyl/vid ... makes "The B1tch is Back" sound like high tea with Liz II in comparision - the hearing aid!!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

vicious bugger, that Moz

🖤

The Under Pressure bassline is hard to resist in any context, so one cannot be blamed for not changing the channel. Ice Ice Baby is, was and always has been terrible, though.
So is Ice's real name of Robert Van Winkle.

According to Wiki:

"When the River Runs Dry" is the first single from the Australian pub rock band Hunters & Collectors' sixth album, Ghost Nation. The song peaked at number 23 in Australia and number 41 in New Zealand. The band performed the song on Late Night With David Letterman in 1990.

Lead singer Mark Seymour stated the song was about middle class excess, the end of the world, rampant greed and the decline of western civilisation. The music video loosely investigated the encroaching effect of surveillance on daily life, but was accompanied with images of very attractive women engaged in a range of activities, from drinking champagne to hanging out clothes on a Hills hoist.

It was nominated for an ARIA as Song of the Year. Maybe ask @John Maddens Lunchbox
I only vaguely remember this tune, but it's pretty damn good upon another listen.

The hold that this song had on the DFW area was stupid insane. Local station at the time, KEGL, did a Top 9 at 9 and it was the number one song for weeks. Then one night they made it the number 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 song. And then the next night they just played it 9 times in a row. And people ate it up.

Robbie Van Winkle being a local just added to it. Ironically, no one was mad he was trying to hide being from Dallas to the rest of the world.

#101 - Eric Clapton - Bad Love

I don't really like this song, so why is it here, above songs I actually like by Morrissey and Candyman? Because it helps tell the story of the death of "mainstream" rock in youth culture (exaggerating a bit, maybe?).

Bad Love, released as the second single off the 1989 album Journeyman, stayed at #1 for three weeks on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart. Overall, it ranked #4 on the magazine's year end Rock list and Clapton took home a grammy for Best Rock Vocal Performance . Yet it peaked at #88 on the Hot 100 and I didn't know a single person my age - including classic rock classmates who loved earlier Clapton - who paid any attention to it. Sure the boomers said they liked the song (it was co-written by Mick Jones and had Phil Collins on drums and backing vocals, after all) but really, the it's just completely forgettable. Sure the opening riff is pretty good, but the rest - meh personified.

Tell me why I'm wrong?

I don't really like this song, so why is it here, above songs I actually like by Morrissey and Candyman? Because it helps tell the story of the death of "mainstream" rock in youth culture (exaggerating a bit, maybe?).

Bad Love, released as the second single off the 1989 album Journeyman, stayed at #1 for three weeks on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart. Overall, it ranked #4 on the magazine's year end Rock list and Clapton took home a grammy for Best Rock Vocal Performance . Yet it peaked at #88 on the Hot 100 and I didn't know a single person my age - including classic rock classmates who loved earlier Clapton - who paid any attention to it. Sure the boomers said they liked the song (it was co-written by Mick Jones and had Phil Collins on drums and backing vocals, after all) but really, the it's just completely forgettable. Sure the opening riff is pretty good, but the rest - meh personified.

Tell me why I'm wrong?
Also not a fan of it, but I'm not a big fan of really any of Clapton's solo.

The opening riff always reminded me a little bit of Suzanne Vega's "Luka", although I know it's an entirely different instrument.

Interesting that video features a different bass player from the great Pino Palladino, who actually played on the studio recording.

Tell me why I'm wrong?
I listened to it and liked it -- almost entirely because of the opening riff. I didn't really jettison Boomer rock (minus Neil) for stuff from my own generation until 1991.

Journeyman has two good songs -- this and Old Love, a slow blues collaboration with Robert Cray. The rest of it is a snooze.

Interesting that video features a different bass player from the great Pino Palladino, who actually played on the studio recording.
I'm guessing that didn't lead to the same kind of outrage/lawsuits that Freedom Williams jettisoning Martha Wash (who sang on the recording) for model Zelma Davis in the Gonna Make You Sweat video?*

* Also from 1990. Won't be featured here.

I'm guessing that didn't lead to the same kind of outrage/lawsuits that Freedom Williams jettisoning Martha Wash (who sang on the recording) for model Zelma Davis in the Gonna Make You Sweat video?*

Session players were only contracted for the recording. They had no expectation of being in a video or anything like that -- and in the case of someone as in-demand as Palladino, probably didn't have time to be. The lead vocalist is a different story.

That's too bad - I dig that song minus the infernally annoying "everybody dance nows".

My highest-ranking Neil song from 1990 landed at #11 in my countdown.

Not Rockin' in the Free World, which was all over the radio in 1990 but was from an album released in late 1989.

Not Rockin' in the Free World, which was all over the radio in 1990 but was from an album released in late 1989.
As long as we know Neil won't be here, I really liked "Mansion on the Hill" and "F****ing Up" from Ragged Glory.
That is the album of which I speak. Both those tracks made my top 101 Neil, as did three others from the album.

As long as we know Neil won't be here, I really liked "Mansion on the Hill" and "F****ing Up" from Ragged Glory.
That is the album of which I speak. Both those tracks made my top 101 Neil, as did three others from the album.
I had Mansion on the Hill in the high 30s before I dropped it. Great song.

According to Wiki:

Hunters and Collectors were not my type of music.
They had quite a few hits in Australia. 13 in the top 50, but only 1 made the top 20 - True Tears of Joy
This song was their 3rd biggest hit, reaching #23.
The reason it attracted your attention is that it made #5 on the US Modern Rock Track charts. Whatever chart that is

They had a gritty dirty, pub rock sound with a hint of blues. Popular live band
Lead singer was Mark Seymour, brother of Crowded House member Nick Seymour

If i had to suggest 4 songs from the band it would be - Do You See What I See, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Holy Grail and Say Goodbye

An ARIA award is like a Grammy, but they were also the official chart compilers (Australian Recording Industry Association)

Tell me why I'm wrong?
Proud that I have been threatened to have the living **** beaten out of me no less than four times for ragging on Clapton.

Tell me why I'm wrong?
I would have been 20-21 when that album came out. It's so, so bizarre to me to think about that time, my mindset, etc. So, in 1989, I was 21 and (to me) I thought Eric Clapton was some old geezer that did a few songs that were popular in the 60's or whatever, some annoying songs in the 70's (I really hated I shot the Sherriff A LOT) and I just wasn't a fan. Then, sometime in the 90's I stumbled across Cream and I thought "holy crap this group is awesome, who's playing guitar/drums on this, this is amazing" and then I became a fan . . . still hated I shot the sheriff. Having said that, I've bought A TON of music on various formats over the years, I don't think I've ever purchased an Eric Clapton album, don't think I ever will.

Anyway, fast forward a few years, I listened to the Journeyman album and I like a few of the songs on that album quite a bit, it's not great but it's not bad. To me, Bad Love isn't bad, but the standout songs to me are 1.) Breaking Point - and to my knowledge got zero air play and even less attention which is a shame b/c I think it's my favorite song on the album 2.) Pretending and I believe this got a lot of attention and air play from what I recall. Lastly, 3.) Anything For Your Love - which is a song I really like a lot but, as a 21 year old, I'm pretty sure I would have ignored. If that song (Anything) got any airplay, I don't recall.

Tell me why I'm wrong?
I would have been 20-21 when that album came out. It's so, so bizarre to me to think about that time, my mindset, etc. So, in 1989, I was 21 and (to me) I thought Eric Clapton was some old geezer that did a few songs that were popular in the 60's or whatever, some annoying songs in the 70's (I really hated I shot the Sherriff A LOT) and I just wasn't a fan. Then, sometime in the 90's I stumbled across Cream and I thought "holy crap this group is awesome, who's playing guitar/drums on this, this is amazing" and then I became a fan . . . still hated I shot the sheriff. Having said that, I've bought A TON of music on various formats over the years, I don't think I've ever purchased an Eric Clapton album, don't think I ever will.

Anyway, fast forward a few years, I listened to the Journeyman album and I like a few of the songs on that album quite a bit, it's not great but it's not bad. To me, Bad Love isn't bad, but the standout songs to me are 1.) Breaking Point - and to my knowledge got zero air play and even less attention which is a shame b/c I think it's my favorite song on the album 2.) Pretending and I believe this got a lot of attention and air play from what I recall. Lastly, 3.) Anything For Your Love - which is a song I really like a lot but, as a 21 year old, I'm pretty sure I would have ignored. If that song (Anything) got any airplay, I don't recall.
I forgot that Breaking Point is good. So three good songs on the album.

Pretending was the album's first single and biggest hit. I've never cared for it.

I don't remember Anything for Your Love at all.

Tell me why I'm wrong?

I can't see the cover of Journeyman without instantly thinking of every CD club I was a part of in the 90s. I swear his side sad face was on ever piece of mail those companies would send.

Tell me why I'm wrong?
Graduated high school in 89 so similar age as you. Indifferent towards Clapton and honestly don't remember this song. Even after a youtube listen...nothing so ya you're correct lol.

#100 - Enuff Z'Nuff - Fly High Michelle

Nirvana didn't kill hair metal. This is the kind of dreck that should be held responsible instead. But god did I love these power ballads - I'm sure working with a bunch of slightly trashy big-haired girls who dressed like extras in a Motley Crue video had something to do with it. Better than Bad Love, but not by much.

Nirvana didn't kill hair metal. This is the kind of dreck that should be held responsible instead. But god did I love these power ballads - I'm sure working with a bunch of slightly trashy big-haired girls who dressed like extras in a Motley Crue video had something to do with it. Better than Bad Love, but not by much.
I had never heard this song before. It makes me sad that I can no longer say that.

Last edited:
Enuff Z'Nuff

Mary Beth What'shername used to wear this big neon green peace sign on a black shirt in high school. She was uber uncool, and everyone used to make fun of her. When Enuff Z'Nuff came out with their peace signs and faux metal, everyone took to ragging on her some more.

"Why'd you ruin metal, Mary Beth? What did you do to it?"

True story.

Okay, not true. But very close. It went unspoken. I hate watching people get picked on.

Besides Mary Beth. :football:

I'm sorry, Mary, wherever you are.

To further that, all the guys I hung out with used to listen to thrash metal. It scared her and she would make comments about it. I don't know what role religion played in the whole thing, or maybe it was just that thrash metal is a sort of cult of death thing as opposed to life, but here's one for Mary Beth.

This was released in 1990, and holy hell, spoiler potential so I'll let scorchy have it.

Instead, I'll post this from the aughts because it's now in my head and starting a thread about it will be poor form. It takes the piss out of thrash while being probably up there with the best thrash around in earnest.

DethKlök - Murmaider

I hope hope hope there's a thrash song here considering it is 1990 and that is when the genre was ascendant. We shall see. Bated breath and all.

Okay, not true. But very close. It went unspoken. I hate watching people get picked on.

Besides Mary Beth. :football:

I'm sorry, Mary, wherever you are.
Not sure whether to laugh or cry, rock. I think we all have those. I just find myself hoping that other people don't remember all the ####ty things I said to them, b/c when I can't sleep, I can replay a few decades worth.

I hope hope hope there's a thrash song here considering it is 1990 and that is when the genre was ascendant. We shall see. Bated breath and all.
I was not a thrash metal guy, unless Metallica counts. You will get a lone entry, though maybe I should have picked something off of Persistence of Time too given Bob played it so much.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry, rock.

Both, probably. I don't think I ever participated, but I was no innocent. It's a lot different in retrospect, but that can't be undone. Hear you on the not sleeping thing. So many cringeworthy things from the past. Ooof.

I should have picked something off of Persistence of Time too given Bob played it so much.

Bob! Que pasa, Bob? That album is responsible for about 100,000 thrash heads saying "Hey, who's this Joe Jackson guy? This is pretty cool."

What a great song to cover. Had to be Scott Ian suggesting that to the band. "Hey, I know you guys humored me about Public Enemy and hip hop, so you've gotta check out this Joe Jackson tune!"

#99 - Mellow Man Ace - Mentirosa
Cause right now you're just a liar
a straight mentirosa
Today you tell me something
y manana es otra cosa

In contrast to the last two, I love everything about Mentirosa. Mellow Man Ace's suave Spanglish, the Evil Ways sample, the nostalgia of the courtroom-based music video that always played on MTV, the liberal of use of Skeezer, and so on and so on.

Mellow Man Ace was born in Cuba and moved to L.A. as a kid. Mentirosa was his only hit, reaching #14 on the Hot 100 in spring 1990.

#99 - Mellow Man Ace - Mentirosa
Cause right now you're just a liar
a straight mentirosa
Today you tell me something
y manana es otra cosa

In contrast to the last two, I love everything about Mentirosa. Mellow Man Ace's suave Spanglish, the nostalgia of the courtroom-based music video that always played on MTV, the liberal of use of Skeezer, and so on and so on.

Mellow Man Ace was born in Cuba and moved to L.A. as a kid. Mentirosa was his only hit, reaching #14 on the Hot 100 in spring 1990.

The kind of song you like as a teenager, and that you'd like to forget ever existed thereafter.

A lot of terrible "pop-rap" in the early 90s...this qualifies as far as I'm concerned.

I was working as a manager for Hungry Howie's pizza when these guys got big. A long hair dude I interviewed for a delivery driver position claimed he was their manager. I said " no wonder you're looking for another job". Ended up firing him a couple months later when he did a no call no show. Claimed it was because he was golfing with Ozzy.

Users who are viewing this thread