What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 NFL Draft Talk (1 Viewer)

great analysis so far guys :thumbup:

i'll add that brian calhoun will NOT be a full-fledged featured back in the NFL. he has the speed and the vision but that body isn't built for 15+ carries a game over the long haul. a "michael westbrook type" is the absolute best case scenerio for calhoun (not that this upside is poor, but anything more is begging imo)
I'm sort of surprised at this take since Calhoun showed he could handle 350 carries this season. While I don't totally disagree with the Westbrook comparison Calhoun really hits the hole hard after he waits for blocking and never seems to take a direct hit. I'll be very interested in seeing what type of system/competition he gets drafted into... but I have to say his running style would be great for the Denver system IMHO.

NFL Draft Scout lists Drew at 5'8", 212 lbs. and estimates his 40-time at 4.32 :eek:Any West Coast/UCLA/Pac-10 homers care to chime in on whether those measurables approximate the truth?If he's really 210+ and runs a 4.3 40, Drew is going to go very high in this draft.

NFL Draft Scout lists Drew at 5'8", 212 lbs. and estimates his 40-time at 4.32 :eek:

Any West Coast/UCLA/Pac-10 homers care to chime in on whether those measurables approximate the truth?

If he's really 210+ and runs a 4.3 40, Drew is going to go very high in this draft.
It seems inevitable that at least one of Drew, Calhoun, and Maroney drop to the 2nd, if not 2 of them. Either the pack/jets/cards will get new blood at RB in the 2nd, or some teams that seem set at RB will take them. At least a few somewhat established RBs are going to have their dynasty values deflated on draft day, and somewhat unexpectedly. Joseph Addai is also starting to get a lot of buzz. Seems to me that there's at least 7 RBs going in the first 2 rounds, and maybe 8 if Michael Bush declares.

NFL Draft Scout lists Drew at 5'8", 212 lbs. and estimates his 40-time at 4.32 :eek:

Any West Coast/UCLA/Pac-10 homers care to chime in on whether those measurables approximate the truth?

If he's really 210+ and runs a 4.3 40, Drew is going to go very high in this draft.
If he runs a 4.32 at the combine, he will rocket up the draft list. Those kind of measurables are rare - I'd say that bumps him up from the 8th back off the board to maybe the 6th - that would move him from a late third-rounder to a mid-late 2nd rounder.

If he runs a 4.32 at the combine, he will rocket up the draft list. Those kind of measurables are rare - I'd say that bumps him up from the 8th back off the board to maybe the 6th - that would move him from a late third-rounder to a mid-late 2nd rounder.
Agreed, but that's why I'm asking. Just strikes me as an odd set of measurables that won't actually play themselves out. I'm not sure how the sites get 40-times for the underclassmen, but a 4.32 would be a stunning time obviously.

Agreed, but that's why I'm asking. Just strikes me as an odd set of measurables that won't actually play themselves out. I'm not sure how the sites get 40-times for the underclassmen, but a 4.32 would be a stunning time obviously.
:yes: I'm with you on this one, Woodrow,. I'd bet before all is said and done, he comes out and runs a 4.4 and weighs in at 200 pounds or so and ends up going late third.

great analysis so far guys  :thumbup:

i'll add that brian calhoun will NOT be a full-fledged featured back in the NFL.  he has the speed and the vision but that body isn't built for 15+ carries a game over the long haul.  a "michael westbrook type" is the absolute best case scenerio for calhoun (not that this upside is poor, but anything more is begging imo)
I'm sort of surprised at this take since Calhoun showed he could handle 350 carries this season. While I don't totally disagree with the Westbrook comparison Calhoun really hits the hole hard after he waits for blocking and never seems to take a direct hit. I'll be very interested in seeing what type of system/competition he gets drafted into... but I have to say his running style would be great for the Denver system IMHO.
Love it - then Shanahan gets to pick another RB on the first day. Take that, Tater. :boxing:

:yes: I'm with you on this one, Woodrow,. I'd bet before all is said and done, he comes out and runs a 4.4 and weighs in at 200 pounds or so and ends up going late third.
With his versatility, I dont see how he lasts past the late 2nd/early 3rd no matter the 4.4 time. And even that is only because the top tier is looking pretty thick with Calhoun coming out and Addai getting a lot of buzz off his peach bowl performance. I don't see how he grades out lower than Arrington last year, and he went in the 2nd.

With his versatility, I dont see how he lasts past the late 2nd/early 3rd no matter the 4.4 time. And even that is only because the top tier is looking pretty thick with Calhoun coming out and Addai getting a lot of buzz off his peach bowl performance. I don't see how he grades out lower than Arrington last year, and he went in the 2nd.
True, but how many backs went before Arrington last year? I think Drew, unless he runs a legit 4.3 and really does weigh 210+ will go behind at least 6-7 other backs - that may well get him into the second round if they're RB-heavy, but I get the feeling that it's the third. Of course, if he really is 215, then that changes things somewhat.

True, but how many backs went before Arrington last year? I think Drew, unless he runs a legit 4.3 and really does weigh 210+ will go behind at least 6-7 other backs - that may well get him into the second round if they're RB-heavy, but I get the feeling that it's the third. Of course, if he really is 215, then that changes things somewhat.
just the big 3 went before arrington last year - he went 44th. I agree that the reason Drew would last til the 3rd would be his ranking among the RBs, but not his draft grade - draft grade wise he seems like a 2nd rounder and a first if he really runs a sub 4.4 carrying 210 lbs, but he could fall to the 3rd if he rates out behind addai and calhoun - only because of the depth of the group. Similar situations could play out at FS, OT, and LB - players falling a round or more behind their objective or absolute grade independant of draft class because the groups they are in are so deep.

Last edited by a moderator:

just the big 3 went before arrington last year - he went 44th. I agree that the reason Drew would last til the 3rd would be his ranking among the RBs, but not his draft grade - draft grade wise he seems like a 2nd rounder, but he could fall to the 3rd if he rates out behind addai and calhoun - only because of the depth of the group. Similar situations could play out at FS, OT, and LB - players falling a round or more behind their objective or absolute grade independant of draft class because the groups they are in are so deep.
:goodposting: Absolutely agree. I just think because of the depth at the position, we'll see him go third round. The LB situation is nuts - a guy like Chad Greenway could possibly fall to the second round (at least some sites have projected such) - he'd be the first or maybe second LB off the board some years - a mid first-rounder.

Im seeing drew clocked in anywhere from 205-212 and, despite the unanimous consensus opinion that he is 5'8, one has to wonder how he was clocked in as 5'9 comming into college from prep school. :loco: Regardless, all the notes I'm reading on him indicate he is pretty much a lock to have an elite 40 speed among RB's this year- and some project him to be the top of his class in this category. Very impressive to say the least seeing as though Garret Wolfe from Northwestern has been clocked in the 4.33-4.39 range thus far. It'd be obscenely difficult to put up better numbers than 4.33 but if so, he vaults his draft position. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that this kid can fly. Let's just see what he does at the combine. For his sake, hope it isnt a meltdown.

I've liked Addai all year and feel that we shouldn't forget about Riggs who probably would of ended the year with a round 1-2 grade if he hadn't gotten hurt becuase he was gaining a lot of momentum. I don't feel like he will test great at the combine (40 time) so he might slip to early day 2 and be a nice steal.I really would like the Colts to grab a PR/KR in round 2-3 and Drew might fit well in that area and as a RB in their system.I graduated from MSU in May and got to watch Norwood a lot. He's got speed and hands and very good vision but i don't think he is big enough to be a workhorse in the NFL. His lower legs look like bird legs and he was getting dinged up all the time, but he has the character, work ethic, and skills to overcome that and be a nice pick.

I'll look at my book again but it seems like Maroney was listed in PFW's 2006 Pro Prospect Preview as a 4.55 or 4.6 guy.I'm not at all a great talent evaluator. I watched Maroney a couple times this year and he seemed to be hesitant running between the tackles where there would be contact, going where he should have gone.

I'll look at my book again but it seems like Maroney was listed in PFW's 2006 Pro Prospect Preview as a 4.55 or 4.6 guy.

I'm not at all a great talent evaluator. I watched Maroney a couple times this year and he seemed to be hesitant running between the tackles where there would be contact, going where he should have gone.
NFL DRAFT SCOUT has him at 4.55.

Im seeing drew clocked in anywhere from 205-212 and, despite the unanimous consensus opinion that he is 5'8, one has to wonder how he was clocked in as 5'9 comming into college from prep school. :loco:

Regardless, all the notes I'm reading on him indicate he is pretty much a lock to have an elite 40 speed among RB's this year- and some project him to be the top of his class in this category. Very impressive to say the least seeing as though Garret Wolfe from Northwestern has been clocked in the 4.33-4.39 range thus far. It'd be obscenely difficult to put up better numbers than 4.33 but if so, he vaults his draft position. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that this kid can fly.

Let's just see what he does at the combine. For his sake, hope it isnt a meltdown.
Seems to me that Drew has the makings of an electric special teams player/return man. If he's as fast as advertised, his value as a returner and his ability to play in 3rd down situations would go a long way in securing him a 1st day spot.

Im seeing drew clocked in anywhere from 205-212 and, despite the unanimous consensus opinion that he is 5'8, one has to wonder how he was clocked in as 5'9 comming into college from prep school. :loco:

Regardless, all the notes I'm reading on him indicate he is pretty much a lock to have an elite 40 speed among RB's this year- and some project him to be the top of his class in this category. Very impressive to say the least seeing as though Garret Wolfe from Northwestern has been clocked in the 4.33-4.39 range thus far. It'd be obscenely difficult to put up better numbers than 4.33 but if so, he vaults his draft position. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that this kid can fly.

Let's just see what he does at the combine. For his sake, hope it isnt a meltdown.
Seems to me that Drew has the makings of an electric special teams player/return man. If he's as fast as advertised, his value as a returner and his ability to play in 3rd down situations would go a long way in securing him a 1st day spot.
I watched every one of Drew's home games over the past three years as a UCLA alum and season ticket holder. I'll say the kids strengths and weaknesses are as follows:S: elite speed (sub 4.4 for sure), terrific instincts reading blocks, great character/teammate, electric return guy, top-notch receiving skills

W: size - although thick, he's at best 5'8'' and more likely 5'7'' and if he weighs in at 215 I'd be shocked. I'd say 200 is likely unless he puts on weight in the next few months. He runs hard, but I would say he's not tough to bring down if a defender can wrap him. Nick nack injuries have also been a concern during his UCLA tenure. Seems like he's always banged up.

I see Mo as a tremendous 3rd down back and maybe more in a thunder/lightening platoon. In the right system though, he could thicken out more as he gets older and really turn into a stud.

If Mo was 2-3 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier, he'd be in the same class as Reggie and DeAngelo. I think height is overrated for an RB, but weight is definitely an issue.

Brian Calhoun officially declares for the draft.

I didn't like him early in the season, but he sure did win me over as the year progressed. He is very solid despite not being the biggest or most powerful guy. Depending on Michael Bush, I would have to put Calhoun at RB5 in a group that is almost impossible to rank with any confidence.
I think he would be solidly in the mix with Addai, Drew, Harrison and Norwood for the RB5 position. :yes:

I didn't like him early in the season, but he sure did win me over as the year progressed. He is very solid despite not being the biggest or most powerful guy. Depending on Michael Bush, I would have to put Calhoun at RB5 in a group that is almost impossible to rank with any confidence.
I think he would be solidly in the mix with Addai, Drew, Harrison and Norwood for the RB5 position. :yes:
As a MSU graduate I'm interested to see where Norwood ends up. What do you think of his chances and what have you read about him?

As a MSU graduate I'm interested to see where Norwood ends up. What do you think of his chances and what have you read about him?
He's in that group that's very hard to rank. I happen to like him better than most. Him, Calhoun, and Drew probably have the most speed (though Addai is reportedly very fast too). Norwood's a little bigger (overall) than both of them, but also a little more slender. He is as accomplished a receiver as Drew, but more prototypical. Drew is an oddity, believe me. I like both of their versatility, because they should see time as thrid down backs, and if they impresses, the opportunity may come. Norwood needs to bulk up, and he needs an honest chance. If both of those things happen, he might be very good. I doubt this was helpful.

Im seeing drew clocked in anywhere from 205-212 and, despite the unanimous consensus opinion that he is 5'8, one has to wonder how he was clocked in as 5'9 comming into college from prep school.  :loco:

Regardless, all the notes I'm reading on him indicate he is pretty much a lock to have an elite 40 speed among RB's this year- and some project him to be the top of his class in this category. Very impressive to say the least seeing as though Garret Wolfe from Northwestern has been clocked in the 4.33-4.39 range thus far. It'd be obscenely difficult to put up better numbers than 4.33 but if so, he vaults his draft position. Oh yea,  I forgot to mention that this kid can fly.

I watched every one of Drew's home games over the past three years as a UCLA alum and season ticket holder. I'll say the kids strengths and weaknesses are as follows:S: elite speed (sub 4.4 for sure), terrific instincts reading blocks, great character/teammate, electric return guy, top-notch receiving skills

W: size - although thick, he's at best 5'8'' and more likely 5'7'' and if he weighs in at 215 I'd be shocked. I'd say 200 is likely unless he puts on weight in the next few months. He runs hard, but I would say he's not tough to bring down if a defender can wrap him. Nick nack injuries have also been a concern during his UCLA tenure. Seems like he's always banged up.

I see Mo as a tremendous 3rd down back and maybe more in a thunder/lightening platoon. In the right system though, he could thicken out more as he gets older and really turn into a stud.

If Mo was 2-3 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier, he'd be in the same class as Reggie and DeAngelo. I think height is overrated for an RB, but weight is definitely an issue.
I agree that Drew did have some nagging injuries and various injury concerns, but did you see how the guy was utilized?The guy was a true workhorse for the Bruins and the offensive coordinator wore this guy into the ground, plus the punt return duties

Without going back into the annals of the MB, I would venture to say this is an identical description of Brian Westbrook back in the day....

I think DeAngelo Williams, Lendale White, and Laurence Maroney are in a strange situation this year. How many teams, with the number of quality FA backs available, are going to look to draft a RB in the first round.These are some of the top guys available as FA's:Ahman GreenChester TaylorDeShaun FosterEdgerrin JamesJamal Lewis (I'm not big on him, but some team undoubtedly would be)Michael Bennett (Ditto)Najeh DavenportShaun AlexanderApproximately half the teams in the league COULD be looking for new starting RBs.Assuming that Alexander and James are signed by someone (a stretch, I know ), that leaves 13 teams.I can see a scenario similar to what happened to Steven Jackson. Lots of talent, but the teams on the board have other needs than RB for the draft slot they're in. So he slid. I'm beginning to wonder if Maroney doesn't slide into the 2nd round. Where could the three potential 1st round backs even go?

4. New York Jets - LowNo. Not in the #4 slot, they won't.5. Green Bay - Medium Possible, even though the pick screams defense.7. San Francisco - LowDoubtful as Gore came on late. And they need more help elsewhere.8. Buffalo - Low Doubt they're disappointed enough in McGahee to use a #8 overall on a back10. Arizona - MediumArrington showed signs late.13. Baltimore MediumCould lose both backs to FA.14. Philadelphia - LowIf Westbrook's foot isn't healed, they'll have to do something. But I doubt it's with this draft pick.17. Minnesota - HighOne of the highest probabilities. Especially if Maroney is there.21. New England - High Dillon is winding down.22. Denver - MediumAnderson is winding down. They have two picks. Shanny loves RBs. Tatum Bell is a big enough ? to warrant using one of their two picks on RB.26. Carolina - HighOne back is done, the other injury prone. 28. Pittsburgh - HighBettis is done and I don't think Parker's the answer.29. Jacksonville - HighEnough with Fred Taylor already.31. Seattle - LowThey can't let Alexander go, can they?32. Indianapolis - LowThey can't let James go, can they?
I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Andy, I agree with you (and by extension, Bloom) completely.

1. There are several VERY good RBs this year, maybe as many as 10 will carry DAY 1 draft grades.

2. Based on needs & availablility, many of these RBs could very well slip to DAY 2.

This is a recurring theme over the past 3 years of the NFL Draft.

2005:

DAY 1 - 9 TOTAL

RD 1 - 3 All Top 5 overall (clearly an anomaly)

RD 2 - 2

RD 3 - 4 Clarett was one - a reach based on DEN not having any 4th/5th selections

RD4 - 6

2004:

DAY 1 - 6 TOTAL

RD 1 - 3 SJax / Perry & KJones all go after Pick #24

RD 2 - 3

RD 3 - 0

RD4 - 2

2003:

DAY 1 - 6 TOTAL

RD 1 - 2 L Johnson & McGahee are the clear elite guys

RD 2 - 0

RD 3 - 4

RD4 - 9 Pinner, Domanick Davis, Onterrio, Q Griffin, Suggs & Toefield

2002:

DAY 1 - 8 TOTAL

RD 1 - 2 W Green & TJ Duckett

RD 2 - 4 Portis &D. Foster

RD 3 - 2 Westbrook

RD4 - 5

So, no matter how many good RBs there are with DAY 1 grades, they won't all go on DAY 1....

Evidently, Michael Bush just decided to return to school, so there's a possible second round pick out of the mix.

Evidently, Michael Bush just decided to return to school, so there's a possible second round pick out of the mix.
Smart move by him. He was a second (or higher) rounder in this draft. He has a good chance at top 10 next year, doesn't he?This probably moves Calhoun UP in this year's draft.

*Reggie Bush, 5-11, 200, Southern California

*LenDale White, 6-2, 225, Southern California

DeAngelo Williams, 5-10, 205, Memphis

*Laurence Maroney, 5-11, 200, Minnesota

*Michael Bush, 6-3, 250, Louisville

Jerome Harrison, 5-9, 195, Washington State

Gerald Riggs, 6-0, 220, Tennessee

P.J. Daniels, 5-10, 210, Georgia Tech

DonTrell Moore, 5-11, 215, New Mexico

Andre Hall, 5-10, 210, South Florida

Wali Lundy, 5-10, 215, Virginia

Terrence Whitehead, 5-10, 220, Oregon

Patrick Cobbs, 5-9, 205, North Texas

*Maurice Drew, 5-8, 200, UCLA
Is there a reason Calhoun and Addai are not listed?

And with that, the chances Cedric Humes becomes a Steeler went up a bit. Im really starting to like the idea of snagging him with a second day pick. Bush would have been a good fit for our running game, now that he's out of the picture, I like Humes the best of the guys we can conceivably get (leaving White out, he'll be gone way before we pick). Two other power runners that i wouldnt mind seeing as a 2nd day pick for the black n gold are Ryan Gilbert, Houston and Terrence Whitehead, Oregon. Either could definitely step in for Verron Haynes if he leaves in FA - both are solid all around RBs, and i think they've got the power running ability to handle short yardage and the part of the game where the steelers are abused a worn out D once they get the lead.

Smart move by him. He was a second (or higher) rounder in this draft. He has a good chance at top 10 next year, doesn't he?This probably moves Calhoun UP in this year's draft.
I see two RBs on the radar that could go top 10 in 07, thats adrian peterson if he has a year like his 2004, and marshawn lynch. both would be coming out as juniors. I think Bush is too specialized for a power running game to get into the top 10, although he's got excellent receiving skills for a guy his size. He would have to reproduce the year LenDale White had this year to get in the top 10. he did lose some of his top end speed when he bulked up, and that may keep him from being a truly elite RB prospect.I dont think Calhoun's draft position is affected by Bush not coming out. They are so different that I doubt the same sets of teams are looking at them.

...leaving White out, he'll be gone way before we pick).
To who?
Its hard to say because there's no slam dunk team in the top 15, yet that seems like where White will go. Possibly some team will trade up to snag him. The Packers are already onto this, which is why i think we saw the rumor that they were in love with him and considering him at #5 floated.

To who?
Its hard to say because there's no slam dunk team in the top 15, yet that seems like where White will go. Possibly some team will trade up to snag him. The Packers are already onto this, which is why i think we saw the rumor that they were in love with him and considering him at #5 floated.
Maybe, maybe not. Again, teams haven't been putting a tremendous premium on the tailback position in recent years. Longevity and replacement value make it harder in GM's eyes to justify paying top $$$$ to a rookie runner. Other than Bush 1st overall, no RB is guaranteed a spot in the top 10 much less top 5; and DeAngelo is going to go ahead of Lendale IMHO.

And with that, the chances Cedric Humes becomes a Steeler went up a bit. Im really starting to like the idea of snagging him with a second day pick. Bush would have been a good fit for our running game, now that he's out of the picture, I like Humes the best of the guys we can conceivably get (leaving White out, he'll be gone way before we pick). Two other power runners that i wouldnt mind seeing as a 2nd day pick for the black n gold are Ryan Gilbert, Houston and Terrence Whitehead, Oregon. Either could definitely step in for Verron Haynes if he leaves in FA - both are solid all around RBs, and i think they've got the power running ability to handle short yardage and the part of the game where the steelers are abused a worn out D once they get the lead.
:goodposting: I've been reading a lot about Humes lately - if they don't reach for him, he could be a steal.

To who?
Maybe, maybe not. Again, teams haven't been putting a tremendous premium on the tailback position in recent years. Longevity and replacement value make it harder in GM's eyes to justify paying top $$$$ to a rookie runner. Other than Bush 1st overall, no RB is guaranteed a spot in the top 10 much less top 5; and DeAngelo is going to go ahead of Lendale IMHO.
What about last year? I know it was a weak draft class at the top, but still, 3 GMs gave RBs top 5 money. I agree that no RB is guaranteed a spot in the top 10 other than Bush, but Williams and White start to look very good in the teens. Also, I think White grades out equal to Cedric Benson, who went 4th last year. I think its a fair comparison of classes to say 4th overall last year = 10-15th this year. Sure, White could end up lasting to the early 20s, a la Steven Jackson, but I would think NEs pick is the absolute farthest he falls, if not Minnesota's pick.

What about last year? I know it was a weak draft class at the top, but still, 3 GMs gave RBs top 5 money. I agree that no RB is guaranteed a spot in the top 10 other than Bush, but Williams and White start to look very good in the teens. Also, I think White grades out equal to Cedric Benson, who went 4th last year. I think its a fair comparison of classes to say 4th overall last year = 10-15th this year. Sure, White could end up lasting to the early 20s, a la Steven Jackson, but I would think NEs pick is the absolute farthest he falls, if not Minnesota's pick.
Assuming that the Vikes go WCO this year, White isn't a good fit there, is he?

What about last year? I know it was a weak draft class at the top, but still, 3 GMs gave RBs top 5 money. I agree that no RB is guaranteed a spot in the top 10 other than Bush,  but Williams and White start to look very good in the teens. Also, I think White grades out equal to Cedric Benson, who went 4th last year. I think its a fair comparison of classes to say 4th overall last year = 10-15th this year. Sure, White could end up lasting to the early 20s, a la Steven Jackson, but I would think NEs pick is the absolute farthest he falls, if not Minnesota's pick.
ah this is true, i forgot to factor childress in. Maybe they wont need a ball control back after all.

ah this is true, i forgot to factor childress in. Maybe they wont need a ball control back after all.
It's Mewelde Moore time.

I think you'll see the Vikings make a major push to acquire either Shaun Alexander or Edgerrin James. And I'm absolutely serious.The Wilf's aren't fooling around and they have money to spare.

With RBs seemingly falling farther than we (not NFL personnel) would predict, doesn't this (at least potentially) bode well for them? With them falling, isn't there now more of a chance that they could fall to a team that is good and a great situation for them?For example, LenDale White falling all the way to the Steelers. (I'm not saying this example will happen, it's just to illustrate the point I'm trying to make.)If top RBs just went to the top of the draft, they'd be more likely to go to crappy teams in crappy situations and might not do well. I think we could all see (and drool over) how great it would be for White to be in Pittsburg.

With RBs seemingly falling farther than we (not NFL personnel) would predict, doesn't this (at least potentially) bode well for them? With them falling, isn't there now more of a chance that they could fall to a team that is good and a great situation for them?

For example, LenDale White falling all the way to the Steelers. (I'm not saying this example will happen, it's just to illustrate the point I'm trying to make.)

If top RBs just went to the top of the draft, they'd be more likely to go to crappy teams in crappy situations and might not do well. I think we could all see (and drool over) how great it would be for White to be in Pittsburg.
Yes.If the Vikings miss out on Alexander or James, my next hope is that DeAngelo drops. Otherwise, draft a linebacker.

Brian Leonard - All American FB/TB

Has anyone watched Brian Leonard play much? Or know of any videos on the web of him? I can't find any outside of a Rutger's highlight promo..

Leonard may or may not cut it at the next level, but I'm going to love watching him come August..

Really wanna see what he runs and jumps (vert). Big, strong, "fast", very good hands judging by his 50+ receptions the last 3 years.

I think he's got some good potential as a FB/RB at the next level, especially in a WCO where he could be like a Schlesinger/Alstott/Rathman type. Granted, we're not talking fantasy stud, but in a PPR league - he could be a solid TD threat with very good receiving stats.

Not to get ahead of ourselves.. but I love some of the quotes on him here.

Notes:

"Brian Leonard blew off Penn State, Notre Dame and Syracuse to follow his star-crossed brother to Rutgers"

Whoever did must have had some wheels, because Brian could run. Still can, having clocked a 4.47 in the 40-yard dash when he was 20 pounds lighter in high school. It's all part of what makes the 6-foot-2, 235-pound junior such an enticing NFL prospect -- and such a bear to defend.

In some ways, Leonard is reminiscent of former NFL star John Riggins, a power runner who was light on his feet.

"He's a very, very underrated player," said Pitt linebacker H.B. Blades, who watched Leonard roll up 130 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns in a 37-29 Rutgers victory last Friday. "He's the best running back I've played against since I've been in college."

Whoa. Better than Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Walter Reyes and Darius Walker?

Blades didn't flinch.

"That combination of power and speed is amazing," he said. "Some of the runs he makes in the open field, he can cut like a tailback. He jumps over safeties when they try and cut him, but then he runs over linebackers and defensive linemen. His combination of power and speed just makes him the best at what he does."
To those who subscribe to the vertical jump as an inidication of explosive quickness or strength:
Leonard constantly surprises people -- including his brother -- with his athletic ability. Nate watched in amazement this past summer, when Brian, from a standstill position with his back to a 10-foot-6 basket, jumped, turned in midair and hung on the rim with both hands.

But that was nothing compared to what Leonard does to would-be tacklers, whom he has taken to leaping over as though he were former Louisville basketball star Darrell Griffith. Leonard had one successful leap in each of the first three games, including one over a safety against Illinois that was part of a spectacular 83-yard touchdown run. His favorite occurred against Buffalo, when he jumped over a defender who was standing straight up.
Another decent article from May, 2004:117 Players You Should Know in 2004

Positives about Leonard...

There are some guys who simply know how to score. It's hard to teach a player to have a killer instinct for the end zone, and Leonard has it scoring 107 touchdowns in high school and 14 last year. He can do it all filling any role needed whether it's as a workhorse ball-carrier, a receiver flaring out of the backfield, or as a blocking fullback opening a hole for one of the other good Scarlet Knight backs. He's also fast with track speed in a 230-pound frame. He's as unpretentious a star as you'll find.

Negatives about Leonard...

He's a dependable and productive player, but he's not all that flashy. While he put up a ton of yards last season, his yard-per-carry average was, considering the schedule Rutgers faced, a relatively low 4.1. With backs like Justise Harrison and Markis Facyson coming back, Leonard could end up becoming more of a blocker again.
2-time All American and Doak Walker candidate
PRO FOOTBALL WEEKLY ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM

OFFENSE

QB Vince Young, Texas, Jr.

FB Brian Leonard, Rutgers, Jr.

RB Reggie Bush, USC, Jr.

RB Laurence Maroney, Minnesota, Jr.

TE Vernon Davis, Maryland, Jr.

WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech, So.

WR Jeff Samardzija, Notre Dame, Jr.

C Nick Mangold, Ohio State, Sr.

OG Davin Joseph, Oklahoma, Sr.

OG Max Jean-Gilles, Georgia, Sr.

OT D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia, Sr.

OT Joe Thomas, Wisconsin, Jr.

DEFENSE

DE Kamerion Wimbley, Florida State, Sr.

DE Mario Williams, North Carolina State, Jr.

DT Brodrick Bunkley, Florida State, Sr.

DT Kyle Williams, LSU, Sr.

ILB Patrick Willis, Mississippi, Jr.

OLB A.J. Hawk, Ohio State, Sr.

OLB Chad Greenway, Iowa, Sr.

CB Kelly Jennings, Miami (Fla.), Sr.

CB Alan Zemaitis, Penn State, Sr.

FS Michael Huff, Texas, Sr.

SS Donte Whitner, Ohio State, Jr.

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK Mason Crosby, Colorado, Jr.

P Danny Baugher, Arizona, Sr.

KR Cory Rodgers, Texas Christian, Jr.

PR Maurice Drew, UCLA, Jr.

HEAD COACH

Joe Paterno, Penn State
Now for the potholes.. He only averaged 3.7 ypg in '04, so I don't know what to think.. He ran a 4.47 20 lbs ago.. what will he run now? 4.6ish? Thoughts? Any homers out there from the East coast that care to share what they've seen of him?

I'm calling it today: Brian Calhoun to the Vikes in the 2nd.(1) Allows the Vikes to select a LB/OL in round 1. It seems widely agreed OL/LB is the strength of this mid-1st. The RB situation is not dire with O.Smith coming back, so why use a 1st for a RB (like all the pundits are predicting)when this RB crop is deep enough for a guy like Calhoun to slip to the 2nd? (2) Practically entire coaching staff has Wisc connection, and based on Childress' coach selection I'm calling Sconi homer. For that reason this staff is more exposed to Calhoun than any staff aside from Green Bay (also a candidate to take Calhoun).(3) Coach says he wants all-purpose RB who can run between tackles and receive. Calhoun had 1600 rushing yards, 571 receiving yards, and has good red zone instincts. Brian Westbrook? :blackdot:

I'm calling it today: Brian Calhoun to the Vikes in the 2nd.

(1) Allows the Vikes to select a LB/OL in round 1. It seems widely agreed OL/LB is the strength of this mid-1st. The RB situation is not dire with O.Smith coming back, so why use a 1st for a RB (like all the pundits are predicting)when this RB crop is deep enough for a guy like Calhoun to slip to the 2nd?

(2) Practically entire coaching staff has Wisc connection, and based on Childress' coach selection I'm calling Sconi homer. For that reason this staff is more exposed to Calhoun than any staff aside from Green Bay (also a candidate to take Calhoun).

(3) Coach says he wants all-purpose RB who can run between tackles and receive. Calhoun had 1600 rushing yards, 571 receiving yards, and has good red zone instincts. Brian Westbrook?

:blackdot:
Agree on all three points. I don't think Minnesota takes an RB first. There's too much depth at the position, and too much talent at others. If they seek a pass rusher, which I think they should, the depth vanishes fast. Same with the depth of LBs, which are constantly erroneously considered very deep. Four RBs should go in the first round. If Minnesota is looking at Calhoun, who I think will be RB 5, they are in a good position to get him in the 2nd, but it's going to be very close. A half dozen or more teams picking before them may have strong RB concerns by April. :popcorn:

re: Calhoun to the VikesI think the Vikes will take a RB even though MMoore will fit into Childress' system quite well. I think we will see a lot of trading in the middle to late 1st/early 2nd for some of these backs. Teams are not going to let Pittsburgh have a guy like LWhite.

I haven't seen much mentioned of Andre Hall here at all. I know his size is against him as an every down back but he does have some speed and very good hands. One intangible he has is that he looks at himself as one of the best RB's in the country while others look at him as a 2nd or 3rd tier RB. So he has a huge chip on his shoulder with something to prove. I don't know who will give him a shot but I think whoever takes him will be getting a very nice sleeper. He had almost 1700 total yards this year with 15 TD's against some pretty good defenses, so he is no slouch.

De'Angelo Williams was only a shade over 5'8" and 207 at the weigh in for the Senior Bowl.source - gbnreport.com

Users who are viewing this thread