What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 NFL Draft Talk (1 Viewer)

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™
Staff member
2006 NFL Draft Talk

Part IV: Tight Ends

Interested in starting up some discussion on who some of the top players will be in this year's draft class.

Feel free to share any information, opinions, scouting reports, etc. on players who you think will be available during the NFL draft in April. This would also be a good place to ask questions about players who you might be having trouble finding good information on.

This obviously will help dynasty owners begin to prepare for the offseason and upcoming rookie drafts, but will also help to improve our overall knowledge and awareness of the incoming talent pool.

Links to all draft threads: QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting to see what Leonard Pope does. If he comes out it will be interesting to see who gets drafted higher between Pope, Vernon Davis and Mercedes Lewis.

One of the best TE classes ever. really.Vernon Davis is a size/speed/strength physical specimen with a ton of buzz around him right now.Marcedes Lewis is an oversized WR who could be a fantasy force if a team decides to feature him in the passing game.Leonard Pope should declare, somewhere between Davis and Lewis - has the body over a taller, stronger WR, but also has eye popping measureables. I haven't gotten to see much of Davis, but Lewis and Pope have looked a little more stiff that I would like, not as athletic as recent top receiving TE prospects like ben Watson and Ben Troupe. Both are not physical enough right now to be great two way TEs and need to toughen up. There's an excellent huge 2nd tier of TEs including:Dominique Byrd, USC - Another of my pet guys, ill be targetting him in every dynasty league im in. Arguably the best downfield receiving threat of any TE in the draft, he might be the most offensively gifted overall of this class. He's battled a lot of injury problems and durability may be an issue, but this guy is going to make an impact.Tim Day, Oregon - Has flashed skills and had a much better 04 than 05. Injuries have kept him from putting it all together, but like Davis, he has the total package at TE, definitely not one dimensional.Garrett Mills, Tulsa - Could be another Cooley in the making. lacks classic TE size, but was extremely productive as a receiver and could become a favorite target for the QB whereever he lands.Jeff King, Virginia Tech - Has the frame to be a 3rd tackle type, but with very good hands for such a big guy. Not much of a threat to do much after the catch, but has good speed and could develop some after the catch skills.David Thomas, Texas - Like Mills, smaller than a classic TE, but extremely productive and the kind of guy that could become a security blanket target.Joel Klopfenstein, Colorado - Very solid pass catcher and he can do damage after the catch, but he is not the elite athletic specimen that some of the others in this class are.What's crazy is that its still possible Greg Olsen from Miami could declare - he might be good enough to break the top 5 in this amazing class. What a year to be looking for a TE - we could see as many as 7 or 8 impact fantasy TEs from this draft!

One of the best TE classes ever. really.

Vernon Davis is a size/speed/strength physical specimen with a ton of buzz around him right now.

Marcedes Lewis is an oversized WR who could be a fantasy force if a team decides to feature him in the passing game.

Leonard Pope should declare, somewhere between Davis and Lewis - has the body over a taller, stronger WR, but also has eye popping measureables.

I haven't gotten to see much of Davis, but Lewis and Pope have looked a little more stiff that I would like, not as athletic as recent top receiving TE prospects like ben Watson and Ben Troupe. Both are not physical enough right now to be great two way TEs and need to toughen up.

There's an excellent huge 2nd tier of TEs including:

Dominique Byrd, USC - Another of my pet guys, ill be targetting him in every dynasty league im in. Arguably the best downfield receiving threat of any TE in the draft, he might be the most offensively gifted overall of this class. He's battled a lot of injury problems and durability may be an issue, but this guy is going to make an impact.

Tim Day, Oregon - Has flashed skills and had a much better 04 than 05. Injuries have kept him from putting it all together, but like Davis, he has the total package at TE, definitely not one dimensional.

Garrett Mills, Tulsa - Could be another Cooley in the making. lacks classic TE size, but was extremely productive as a receiver and could become a favorite target for the QB whereever he lands.

Jeff King, Virginia Tech - Has the frame to be a 3rd tackle type, but with very good hands for such a big guy. Not much of a threat to do much after the catch, but has good speed and could develop some after the catch skills.

David Thomas, Texas - Like Mills, smaller than a classic TE, but extremely productive and the kind of guy that could become a security blanket target.

Joel Klopfenstein, Colorado - Very solid pass catcher and he can do damage after the catch, but he is not the elite athletic specimen that some of the others in this class are.

What's crazy is that its still possible Greg Olsen from Miami could declare - he might be good enough to break the top 5 in this amazing class. What a year to be looking for a TE - we could see as many as 7 or 8 impact fantasy TEs from this draft!
:goodposting: It will be interesting to see how these TEs shake out on draft day, especially if [when?] Pope declares. On one hand, the TE position continues to enjoy a renaissance and the NFL is nothing if not a copycat league. On the other hand, there is only so much demand for the TE position.

2005 -- Heath Miller was the only 1st rounder, Alex Smith didn't get taken until the 3rd round

2004 -- Ben Troupe fell to the 2nd round [3rd TE selected] while Kellen Winslow Jr. and Ben Watson went in the 1st. Chris Cooley went in the 3rd round.
2003 -- Dallas Clark was the only 1st rounder, L.J. Smith and Bennie Joppru were 2nd rounders while Jason Witten fell to the 3rd round.
2002 -- 3 TEs went in the first round led by Shockey followed by Dan Graham and Jerramy Stevens. Randy McMichael went in the 4th round.
2001 -- Only Todd Heap was a 1st rounder with Alge Crumpler falling into the 2nd round.
2000 -- Bubba Franks and Anthony Becht were first rounders, and the 3rd TE [Erron Kinney] didn't come off the board until the 3rd round.

I've seen a lot of Vernon Davis. He is an absolute beast - fast & very strong. I don't think I saw a dozen times this year where one defender was able to tackle him & that's not hyperbole. I believe he also led the ACC in receiving yards per game this past season. Two problems I have (one real & one may be perceived):1. He's "only" 6'2" tall, which is short for a pass catching TE these days.2. I saw him grow alligator arms on two occasions this season. One was right after he had gotten knocked ****-simple on a play, so maybe that's understandable. I know that I was in shock when it happened, as I didn't expect him to be afraid of anyone on a football field. The other I have no explanation for. He was running free into the end zone. The QB threw the ball & it was a little high. Davis never even stuck his arms up to attempt to catch the ball. It would have been a tough catch, but he didn't even try. Friedgen must have noticed too, because he pulled Davis for several plays after that.I'm not trying to scare anyone with point #2. The guy's a helluva player & there may well have been extenuating circumstances in both cases. But they threw up a red flag to me concerning his attitude. I'll be keeping a close eye on his demeanor over the next several months as he gets ready for the draft.

I've seen a lot of Vernon Davis. He is an absolute beast - fast & very strong. I don't think I saw a dozen times this year where one defender was able to tackle him & that's not hyperbole. I believe he also led the ACC in receiving yards per game this past season.

Two problems I have (one real & one may be perceived):

1. He's "only" 6'2" tall, which is short for a pass catching TE these days.

2. I saw him grow alligator arms on two occasions this season. One was right after he had gotten knocked ****-simple on a play, so maybe that's understandable. I know that I was in shock when it happened, as I didn't expect him to be afraid of anyone on a football field. The other I have no explanation for. He was running free into the end zone. The QB threw the ball & it was a little high. Davis never even stuck his arms up to attempt to catch the ball. It would have been a tough catch, but he didn't even try. Friedgen must have noticed too, because he pulled Davis for several plays after that.

I'm not trying to scare anyone with point #2. The guy's a helluva player & there may well have been extenuating circumstances in both cases. But they threw up a red flag to me concerning his attitude. I'll be keeping a close eye on his demeanor over the next several months as he gets ready for the draft.
Vernon Davis reminds me of Ben Troupe to a degree...projects as another in the long line of athletic pass catching playmaker TEs that have become so coveted in recent NFL drafts, but may fall a bit depending on perceptions regarding his attitude [and commitment to blocking]. All in all, I still think Davis answers the call and ends up a top 20 pick.

I've seen a lot of Vernon Davis. He is an absolute beast - fast & very strong. I don't think I saw a dozen times this year where one defender was able to tackle him & that's not hyperbole. I believe he also led the ACC in receiving yards per game this past season.

2. I saw him grow alligator arms on two occasions this season. One was right after he had gotten knocked ****-simple on a play, so maybe that's understandable. I know that I was in shock when it happened, as I didn't expect him to be afraid of anyone on a football field. The other I have no explanation for. He was running free into the end zone. The QB threw the ball & it was a little high. Davis never even stuck his arms up to attempt to catch the ball. It would have been a tough catch, but he didn't even try. Friedgen must have noticed too, because he pulled Davis for several plays after that.

I'm not trying to scare anyone with point #2. The guy's a helluva player & there may well have been extenuating circumstances in both cases. But they threw up a red flag to me concerning his attitude. I'll be keeping a close eye on his demeanor over the next several months as he gets ready for the draft.
Vernon Davis reminds me of Ben Troupe to a degree...projects as another in the long line of athletic pass catching playmaker TEs that have become so coveted in recent NFL drafts, but may fall a bit depending on perceptions regarding his attitude [and commitment to blocking]. All in all, I still think Davis answers the call and ends up a top 20 pick.
Again, take my negatives with a grain of salt. I tend to be more critical of "my" players than of others.Jason, I don't doubt that he'll go first round (barring anything strange or stupid happening in the meantime) & my guess is that his workouts will help him, if anything. I'm pretty sure I recall him being labeled the strongest man on the team as a freshman.

What struck me watching Davis is his physique. He runs like a WR but he is built like David Boston.

I thought that Pope looked a little too "stiff" in both the SEC Champ and the Sugar Bowl. Something that can be worked on, but I like Davis more than him at this point. Davis is shorter, but so is Crumpler. Have to see about Lewis.

Waiting to see what Leonard Pope does. If he comes out it will be interesting to see who gets drafted higher between Pope, Vernon Davis and Mercedes Lewis.
Pope says he's headed to the NFLI think Vernon Davis is such a workout warrior that he is going to blow minds at the combine and be the first TE drafted. I like Marcedes to have a better future. He is such a playmaker for TE, and he blocks better than he gets credit for. Pope is the real wildcard in the group. He's massive, sometimes he looks stiff, other times he catches the ball like a wide out. I'll be surprised if all three hit the first round, so either Marcedes or Pope becomes a huge value as a team's second pick. We'll see, but I just don't see room for all three in this draft.

Again, take my negatives with a grain of salt. I tend to be more critical of "my" players than of others.Jason, I don't doubt that he'll go first round (barring anything strange or stupid happening in the meantime) & my guess is that his workouts will help him, if anything. I'm pretty sure I recall him being labeled the strongest man on the team as a freshman.
I don't know why Wood brought up Davis' attitude. There have never been any question marks, he's always been a good kid. Everyone has already said what needs to be said about his athletic ability. He's just a monster. I posted these videos on another thread, they probably fit better here:highlight package

(or if that doesn't work try HERE)

Vernon throws an FSU defender

(or if that doesn't work try HERE)

As for Pope, I agree with FatDumbandHappy in that he looks very stiff to me. I really don't see much separation between him and the other marginal (fantasy-wise) tight ends.

Is Owen Daniels going to get drafted? He's been a good receiving threat for a few years now.

Is Owen Daniels going to get drafted? He's been a good receiving threat for a few years now.
It's pretty doubtful. He has done well for a couple years, but this is a very deep TE draft, and NFL rosters are loaded with young TEs with big upside. I suppose he could have a great pro day and get a second day look in the draft, but I really doubt it. If it's any consolation I think Orr and Raiola are both underrated and going to be solid at the next level.eta: A smarter draft junky than me is certain Daniels is drafted on the second day and thinks he'll go before Garrett Mills, so what do I know?

I don't know why Wood brought up Davis' attitude. There have never been any question marks, he's always been a good kid. Everyone has already said what needs to be said about his athletic ability. He's just a monster. I posted these videos on another thread, they probably fit better here:
It was probably in reference to my previous post about alligator arms & Friedgen sitting him. I don't want to overplay this thing, just wanted to add an observation. The thing is, both times it happened, a coworker mentioned it to me on Monday - so I wasn't the only person who noticed it.Ralph Friedgen does not smother his players with praise as a rule. But I got the idea in reading between the lines that Fridge wasn't always thrilled with Davis' effort.

As I said above, I tend to tear apart the players/teams I root for looking for any sign of trouble - fan paranoia, I guess.

I'm not able to open the highlight links you posted, but I hope there's some stuff on there from the Clemson game. I bet the whirlpools were full in the Tigers locker room after Davis got through with them (yet another game the Terps blew due to turnovers & penalties).

I agree Pope looks stiff, but @ 6'7" he does an excellent job getting the ball at the highest point, usuing ALL 6'7". Besides that, he's strong and a good blocker which should get him into the lineup sooner rather than later. I haven't seen much of Davis I admit, but I have seen Mercedes and I like Pope a good deal more.

Tony Scheffler, Western Michigan (6'6", 250)

Scheffler is another player to keep in mind. He played in the MAC at Western Michigan so his level of competition isn't as great as the other guys being mentioned already. But, he backed up a solid junior season (53 rec, 570 yards, 3 TDs) with a great senior year (57 rec, 670 yards, 9 TDs). He's definitely got NFL size (listed at 6'6", 250 pounds) and had a 7-game TD scoring streak to finish the season. I didn't really get to watch him since he plays at a small school so I'm not sure what his 40 time or blocking ability is, but his stats certainly suggest he could be a nice sleeper fantasy selection.

Did a quick google news search and found that his request for another year of eligibility was recently denied by the NCAA so he'll definitely be available in the draft. It also had this to say:

Scheffler is rumored to be selected somewhere between the fourth and sixth rounds of April's NFL draft after catching 57 passes this past season, third among tight ends in all of Division I-A.

He met with several agents Monday and is headed south shortly after Christmas -- likely to Tampa, Fla., or Atlanta -- to train for the NFL Scouting Combine beginning Feb. 22 in Indianapolis. Scheffler said he won't be playing in any of the postseason all-star games.

Notre Dame TE, Anthony Fasano enters the draft.

It was already a very talented crop of TEs at the top. Fasano may be the best blocker of them all, and is probably the 4th or 5th TE off the board.
I would say at best 5th behind davis, lewis, pope and byrd. david thomas really enhanced his draft stock with that rose bowl performance. tim day is also a very interesting prospect and could contend for that 5th spot.

Notre Dame TE, Anthony Fasano enters the draft.

It was already a very talented crop of TEs at the top. Fasano may be the best blocker of them all, and is probably the 4th or 5th TE off the board.
Beat me to it Chaos... I'll post here what I already have written.
I think he's anywhere from the 4th-7th TE off the board. I don't believe that the need for a TE necessitates a first round choice for Fasano at all; in fact, I only project two of the top three TE's go in the first round- with the combine being the defining force in which two do go as 1st rounders. I think Fasano is a first day pick assuming that the apparent talent difference in the eyes of the scouts between the top three TE's (Pope, Lewis and Davis) and the 2nd tier (Byrd, Day, Klop, Thomas, Mills and Fasano) isnt too great.

What pushes him into the higher part of the 2nd tier is his hybrid talent at blocking and pass catching. Thats something we cant say about almost all of the 2nd tier. Great pass catcher but has talent IMHO secondary to Byrd and Day. However his dual talent makes him the 1st-3rd out of that second tier.
The reason why I made such a wide range (despite my belief that Fasano will go 5th) is that the specific team needs may dictate which TE is taken from this 2nd tier. If a team is looking for a dynamic pass catcher and missed out on the top 3/had other needs then they may look to Byrd and Day over Fasano. However, if a team is looking to help out a weak Tackle and double as a pass catcher, then Fasano is your guy. This may be useful to teams considering taking OT's in the draft (especially middle rounders) and using them as immediate spot starts. I think his addition in the draft- and the very strong 2nd tier in general- allow teams to pass up on the elite TE's and adress more pressing issues.. In fact, I think all the 2nd tier TE's will end up being value picks.

I saw someone above post that there might be 7 or so impact Fantasy TE's in this draft. My questions are:1- How does one define "impact TE"? I guess I'd say that a guy needs to be an average starter or better to be an impact TE, but that can't be the definition being used above. Is it 7 guys who might be NFL starters? 7 guys who might be FF starters for a few years? I'm really uncertain.2- How do they compare to Shockey/Winslow/Watson/Miller/Clark, to just pick the top TE's from the last drafts?3- Do they stack up as likely better than the 2nd 3rd round guys from prior years?I'm really unsure on how to value these guys, particularly in dynasty, as ther usually are a few adequate bye week TE's available in my dynasty league, even given huge rosters, and developmental concerns. I don't see FF teams en masse suddenly deciding to carry an extra TE, so unless these guys mostly get starting gigs, that would increase the amount of NFL starting talent of waivers, and decrease the impact short-term of anybody who wasn't an above average starter.

The reason why I made such a wide range (despite my belief that Fasano will go 5th) is that the specific team needs may dictate which TE is taken from this 2nd tier. If a team is looking for a dynamic pass catcher and missed out on the top 3/had other needs then they may look to Byrd and Day over Fasano. However, if a team is looking to help out a weak Tackle and double as a pass catcher, then Fasano is your guy. This may be useful to teams considering taking OT's in the draft (especially middle rounders) and using them as immediate spot starts. I think his addition in the draft- and the very strong 2nd tier in general- allow teams to pass up on the elite TE's and adress more pressing issues.. In fact, I think all the 2nd tier TE's will end up being value picks.
:goodposting: He does fit in that wide range somewhere and it does depend on what team is addressing TE.

:popcorn:

I saw someone above post that there might be 7 or so impact Fantasy TE's in this draft. My questions are:

1- How does one define "impact TE"?  I guess I'd say that a guy needs to be an average starter or better to be an impact TE, but that can't be the definition being used above. Is it 7 guys who might be NFL starters? 7 guys who might be FF starters for a few years? I'm really uncertain.

2- How do they compare to Shockey/Winslow/Watson/Miller/Clark, to just pick the top TE's from the last drafts?

3- Do they stack up as likely better than the 2nd 3rd round guys from prior years?

I'm really unsure on how to value these guys, particularly in dynasty, as ther usually are a few adequate bye week TE's available in my dynasty league, even given huge rosters, and developmental concerns.

I don't see FF teams en masse suddenly deciding to carry an extra TE, so unless these guys mostly get starting gigs, that would increase the amount of NFL starting talent of waivers, and decrease the impact short-term of anybody who wasn't an above average starter.
1) guys who are starters and an important part of the passing offense. merely starting is not enough.2) theyre all below winslow, and probably shockey. I think the big 3 rate at least equal if not above guys like Miller, Watson and Clark, if we're comparing the grade at the time they came out.

3) the quality guys after the big 3 seem about on the same level as someone like alex smith or kevin everett (pre-acl tear) last year - so about the same.

the important thing here is that there are more guys who have the size/speed/strength combos to be pass catching threats and not a liability as a blocker. In general i think its foreshadowing a trend of the TE being used more as a target in passing offenses.

Bloom, thanks for the clarification. This means to me that:We have a chance to see more more impact rookie TE's next year - good to know for redrafts.Some of these guys are aproximately Shockey/Winslow level graded, so there's a chance you can get a useful dynasty player long haul. If you have an Alex Smith type already, you probably either want one of the big 3, or to wait and hope to sneak someone really late in a decent situation.If you've got a got a stud TE, this is a good time to get a young guy with upside late in drafts as fill-in & potential replacement.If you have Winslow, your guess is as good as mine.

yes, why?well anywho...

this does look like a great year (2006) to go out & get your replacement TE for Tony G.

Right now, I'm a big fan of Mercedes Lewis...

Senior tight end Marcedes Lewis finished his season in prime fashion on Tuesday, being named the winner of the John Mackey Award, annually given to the nation's top tight end.

Lewis led the nation's tight ends in receptions and touchdowns this season, helping UCLA compile a 9-2 record and a trip to the Sun Bowl on Dec. 30.

Lewis, who finished the season with 58 receptions and 10 touchdowns, edged past finalists Vernon Davis of Maryland and Anthony Fasano of Notre Dame for the award.

"I knew the hard work I had put in, and this year I wanted to show it," Lewis said. "It's important to me that I finish my career as one of the best in UCLA history, and one of the best tight ends to ever come out of the Pac-10."

Lewis started his career at UCLA as the No. 1 tight end recruit in the nation and had extremely high expectations. For his first three years, those expectations hadn't been realized – the Bruins suffered through mediocre seasons, and Lewis combined for a total of 11 touchdowns.

This season, Lewis finally put those disappointments in the past, becoming quarterback Drew Olson's No. 1 target and three times going over the 100-yard mark in receiving.

"I've been ready to take that leadership role for a couple of years," Lewis said. "This year, I finally made an effort to take control of that."

Lewis and the Bruins had a disappointing finish to their regular season last Saturday, losing to USC, but Lewis will have a lot to look forward to: He is expected to be a first-round draft pick in April's NFL Draft.
Name:  Marcedes Lewis

School:  UCLA

Year:  Senior

Height:  6-6

Weight:  255

40 time:  4.75

Strengths:

Has excellent size with long arms and the frame to easily add more weight…A superb athlete with good quickness and leaping ability…Has outstanding hands and can adjust to the poorly thrown ball…Gives great effort as a blocker and does a better job there than he is given credit for…Has solid speed and can get down the middle and stretch the seam…Very productive and was the top pass catching threat on his team…Still developing and has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:

May not have elite timed speed…Could stand to add some weight and looks frail on the field due to his lanky build…Lacks explosiveness and may have trouble separating at the next level…Needs to hit the weights and get stronger…Still relatively raw as he devoted a lot of attention to basketball in high school…Needs to refine his technique and master the nuances of the position.
I see the top 3 like this...
1)  Marcedes Lewis is a great athlete who is like a wide receiver in a tight ends body with the size and speed to stretch the field and open things up for others.

2)  Vernon Davis is pretty much a freak of nature. He’s built like a body-builder, has the speed of a defensive back, and the hands of a wide receiver. He looks like he’s the best TE prospect available this year with the physical tools to rank among the leagues elite at his position. He is not as tall as you'd like but if you looked up the term workout warrior in the dictionary there would probably be a photo of Davis, who is as strong, fast and athletic of a tight end as we have seen come along in a while.

3)  Leonard Pope is a physical marvel at 6-7 and 250 pounds and is effective as both a pass catcher and blocker

As a fan, I'd like Pope. He can probably help the most of the top 3 as far as blocking goes (then again, I'm a Steeler fan). For fantasy reasons, you probably take either of the two drafted AHEAD of Pope since THAT team is looking for a bigger recieving threat and probably doesn't intend to keep him in to block quite as often. Combo blocking/recieving I don't think you can beat Pope in this year's draft.

I had viewed Garrett Mills as a sleeper TE, but he's practicing at FB at the Senior Bowl. Will be interesting to see how he handles the switch.If he gets drafted by the Skins, he'll make for a perfect H-back.

What struck me watching Davis is his physique. He runs like a WR but he is built like David Boston.
great analogy---physically, Boston - roids = Davisthe guy can run like a dear and is strong as an ox---a nice player for one of the playoff teams (I see him in the lower 1/3 of the 1st round)

Carolina? SSmith could use the help of a playmaking TE over the middle--as a SSmith owner a couple times, I'm all for this!

Nice bump weasel...

Obviously Vernon Davis has pulled far out in front with inarguably the best Combine by a TE in history. He should be a lock top 10 pick, and won't fall further than 11 or 12 in a worst case scenario.

Beyond Davis it seems much more of a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" situation with it being a great class but many of the other TEs bringing different pros and cons to the table.

Dom Byrd seemed to have vaulted into the #2 spot after the Senior Bowl but anecdotally it seems Marcedes Lewis, Klopfenstein and Pope are also in the mix. Likely, two other TEs make it off the board in round one with as many as three more coming off in Round 2.

:thumbup:

What may make this year tricky is that there seem to be a lot of 2nd tier rb's that have equal talent.

So what do you do? It is going to be a tough choice on Davis at the 1.6-1.9 spot. Right now, I just don't have a strong feel among Lewis, Byrd and Pope. Byrd just seems to get open and make plays, Lewis catches the ball very well, and Pope is better, IMO, than many on this board give him credit for. Klopfenstein seems to be for real, although I am still looking at him and Garrett Mills will deserve consideration if he looks to be an H-Back. If all five are on the board at pick 15-17, I look to slide back a few picks and get the one left over.

There seems to be great talent this year.

Marcedes Lewis obviously has a good set of skills as a receiver, has the heighth and strength you want to see, and can elevate nicely to make the catch, which gives him even more red zone potential, but how much does that slow 40 hurt him?

Does anybody know how his speed (or lack of) compares to some of the other productive TE's that have emerged over the past four or five years or so (ie Crumpler, McMichael, LJ Smith, Eric Johnson, D Graham, etc)?

As far as Byrd, he's an interesting player as well, but woudn't NFL GM's have some concerns about a TE who's only about 6'3"?

Users who are viewing this thread