What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Ford Explorer (1 Viewer)

Congrats. There is a small learning curve on the MyFordTouch, but after a couple days it is pretty easy to navigate. I use a combination of voice, steering wheel, and touch screen controls.

looks like a Range Rover.

saw this kid that looked about twelve driving a Range Rover in my neighborhood. stupid kid.

Congrats, very nice suv. I decided on the Flex over the Explorer recently but it was a tough decision.

wish they had a v8 option still.. weak towing
Yeah, we have a Toyota Tundra Crewmax for the heavy work. This is a nice vehicle to get the family around town
cool.. if i'm going to get a nice SUV, i'd like it to double up and do both... I'm almost a lock to get a Durango instead of the explorer that i like better due to the v8 and better towing capacity

It is more about the frame than the engine. The 3.5L tows over 11K in the F150. The unibody design of the explorer and the shift from a RWD platform is the limiting factor for the towing capacity. The Durango tows more due to the body on frame design (like an Expedition).

It is more about the frame than the engine. The 3.5L tows over 11K in the F150. The unibody design of the explorer and the shift from a RWD platform is the limiting factor for the towing capacity. The Durango tows more due to the body on frame design (like an Expedition).
That makes sense.

I was actually going to recommend that Dentist look into the Explorer Sport if he hasn't yet. I don't really know anything about towing capacity as I've never had use for it but the Sport is the first high-performance engine that Ford has put in an SUV. I had a 97 Explorer with a V8 that I loved. I got an '03 even though they only offered the V6. The engine was always lacking, slow to get on the highway and loud at higher speeds. I almost didn't get another Explorer until I read about the soon-to-be-released Sport. I waited over 8 months with their delayed release but it was worth the wait. This car is quick as hell and you have to be careful because you wouldn't even know you're doing 80, it's so quiet. It's probably my favorite car I've ever had. But you're right. In all my research I never did hear much touting about it's towing. The unibody is great for handling as it doesn't have that fade in the turns but I guess it doesn't help in the towing.

But if towing isn't an issue, I highly recommend it. It's an suv that drives like a car. I won't go crazy and say a sports car but it's extremely impressive.

popular mechanics

But under the hood of the Sport is the same motor used in F-150 pickups and the Taurus SHO sport—a 3.5-liter Ecoboost V-6 pumping out 365 hp

any thoughts on the new aluminum F150? 700 lbs lighter, looks decent.
I have been watching this release closely, as it is something I would be interested in if the MPG is what they say it is. I don't need it for towing power, but nice to have a bed for hauling stuff and still able to drive it 60 miles to work round-trip and still get decent mileage.

I had a Ford Exploder once. My year was the model that you see with the back that is cracked below the glass. A Ford defect that they didn't deem worthy of recalling. The back cracking on mine was the least of my problems. Some flaps in the AC stopped working, so it was on high and only blowing low. The transmission would go into neutral if I slammed on the breaks even moderately hard. And the front joints went out.

Ford - great looking vehicles, but they are complete crap.

I had a Ford Exploder once. My year was the model that you see with the back that is cracked below the glass. A Ford defect that they didn't deem worthy of recalling. The back cracking on mine was the least of my problems. Some flaps in the AC stopped working, so it was on high and only blowing low. The transmission would go into neutral if I slammed on the breaks even moderately hard. And the front joints went out.

How long ago was this? I've heard great things re:quality in recent years.

It was a 2005. You are correct though, it does appear that complaints have gone down in recent years.

Check out this site,

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/

It was a 2005. You are correct though, it does appear that complaints have gone down in recent years.

Check out this site,

I'm on my third Explorer, all bought new, and haven't had any major issues with any of them. First two well over 100,000 miles. I'll be buying Fords for the rest of my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Check out this site,

I'm on my third Explorer, all bought new, and haven't had any major issues with any of them. First two well over 100,000 miles. I'll be buying Fords for the rest of my life.
What years? If you had a 2004/2005 without the rear panel crack consider yourself lucky. Everyone I have seen has cracks.

No problems with the 2013. A little cumbersome to turn up and down the heat and air with the touch screen I think, but wife loves it. No knobs all touch screen. Takes a little getting used to the navigation and touching.

Users who are viewing this thread