What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 FBG MBSL 1 Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Well there are sleepers and then there's crapping darts out your butt.  

Somehow I think I got a kicker kicking this weekend in the last round.
I took Gould over him just cause I think Gould is on speed dial right now for about half the league.....

my understanding is that with FA it is in the teams best interest to wait until week 1 is over before signing a guy.....something about the $$$$$ and them being on the roster/not on the roster before game 1.....

I expect guys like Gould/Hillman/Colquitt (DEN punter who is a stud) to be signed very quickly next week....

Last edited by a moderator:
I drafted in SSL3 with the exact same roster limits and rules just a couple of months ago, and wound up feeling I beat that draft like a red-headed stepchild. Where the #### did I go wrong here?

Player

2015 YTD Pts

Bye

Gabbert, Blaine SFO QB

Rivers, Philip SDC QB

Ajayi, Jay MIA RB

Foster, D.J. NEP RB

-

Howard, Jordan CHI RB

-

Mathews, Ryan PHI RB

Murray, Latavius OAK RB

Brown, John ARI WR

Crowder, Jamison WAS WR

Evans, Mike TBB WR

Kerley, Jeremy SFO WR

Sharpe, Tajae TEN WR

-

Smith, Torrey SFO WR

Barnidge, Gary CLE TE

Olsen, Greg CAR TE

Willson, Luke SEA TE

Walsh, Blair MIN PK

Cowboys, Dallas DAL Def

Lions, Detroit DET Def

19 Total Players

QB: Rivers is solid and should put up another top-10 season or close to it. Having landed him at the end of the 5th, I figured I should be able to get a competent mid-20s ranked QB to back him up a couple rounds later.  :hot: :no: :rant:  Instead 14 more QBs went off the board in the intervening 32 picks and, of course, I panicked and took a QB who may get benched long before I even need him to cover Rivers. In retrospect, given Rivers' week 11 bye, Romo was the obvious pick here. Boy did I blow that one. Let's move on ...

RB: I'm higher than consensus on Murray this season and was fine with grabbing Mathews as my RB2, knowing I'd probably go 5-deep so would have 3 choices to cover his spot when he inevitably misses some time. With Ajayi I'm making the same bet from the other side as I see no way Foster plays a full 16, and JA should get some run as long as he can hold on to the ball. I've landed Howard in a couple of these SL's as I'm still not sold on Langford and John Fox seems to love him some RBBCs regardless. DJF could be a steal this late, as he can do a lot of different things well and Belichick tends to do Belichick things with his RB depth charts as the season goes on. Somewhat above-average if you're grading on the curve that is 18-teamers with a flex.

WR: Evans = beast. Top-5 ceiling for sure. Behind him I've got 3 guys who could conceivably lead their respective teams in receiving yards in Brown, Sharpe, and Torrey - all of whom should be throwing a lot, the former because Cardinals, the latter two because they'll be playing a whole bunch of catch-up. Crowder should give me something resembling a decent floor at WR3, and then ... for some reason I decided to invest in a third, count 'em, third piece of the vaunted 49ers' aerial attack.  :confused:  Word to the wise, kids! Sometimes even in the late rounds, BPA isn't all it's cracked up to be. Below-average on talent alone, but lots of opportunity to go around and a decent skillset mix for a PPR best-ball. Probably should have grabbed Carroo (my other option) at 19.17 instead of a 3rd TE.

TE: So, yeah, you guys are quick learners when it comes to this stuff. In SSL3 with this same 2PPR + flex, I got Reed in the mid-2nd and was able to wait until the mid-6th to nab Barnidge ... this time around, not so much. Still think having two potential top-10 TEs justifies the 1st- and 3rd-round cost, but not a lot of margin for error this time around if I'm wrong. Added Willson on a lark at the end just because Graham is still only 9 months removed from his patellar surgery, which seems it could be the "just enough time to feel 100% but prone to reinjury because you actually rushed back" window. This group should be up there with Ref and ryheaps lapping the field to the tune of 5-6 additional points a week ... we'll see if it's enough.

ST: Easy to forget that Walsh is moving back indoors for '16 ... between him and Bradford being just good enough to sputter out in the RZ a bunch, I feel like he's getting undervalued even at PK7. As for the defenses, bleh, whatever, just glad that in an 18-teamer I landed two just before the needle fell to E.

Is this squad any good? I dunno. Not really, I don't think. I realize 18-teamers make most teams look bad, but compared to my SSL3 team this one isn't just bad, it's hot garbage. I should steal enough points in the flex spot to keep me alive for the first couple of weeks, but some combination of lack of WR depth, poorly timed bye weeks, and Blaine ####### Gabbert ought to boot me to the curb by the halfway point.

I drafted in SSL3 with the exact same roster limits and rules just a couple of months ago, and wound up feeling I beat that draft like a red-headed stepchild. Where the #### did I go wrong here?

Player

2015 YTD Pts

Bye

Gabbert, Blaine SFO QB

Rivers, Philip SDC QB

Ajayi, Jay MIA RB

Foster, D.J. NEP RB

-

Howard, Jordan CHI RB

-

Mathews, Ryan PHI RB

Murray, Latavius OAK RB

Brown, John ARI WR

Crowder, Jamison WAS WR

Evans, Mike TBB WR

Kerley, Jeremy SFO WR

Sharpe, Tajae TEN WR

-

Smith, Torrey SFO WR

Barnidge, Gary CLE TE

Olsen, Greg CAR TE

Willson, Luke SEA TE

Walsh, Blair MIN PK

Cowboys, Dallas DAL Def

Lions, Detroit DET Def

19 Total Players

QB: Rivers is solid and should put up another top-10 season or close to it. Having landed him at the end of the 5th, I figured I should be able to get a competent mid-20s ranked QB to back him up a couple rounds later.  :hot: :no: :rant:  Instead 14 more QBs went off the board in the intervening 32 picks and, of course, I panicked and took a QB who may get benched long before I even need him to cover Rivers. In retrospect, given Rivers' week 11 bye, Romo was the obvious pick here. Boy did I blow that one. Let's move on ...

RB: I'm higher than consensus on Murray this season and was fine with grabbing Mathews as my RB2, knowing I'd probably go 5-deep so would have 3 choices to cover his spot when he inevitably misses some time. With Ajayi I'm making the same bet from the other side as I see no way Foster plays a full 16, and JA should get some run as long as he can hold on to the ball. I've landed Howard in a couple of these SL's as I'm still not sold on Langford and John Fox seems to love him some RBBCs regardless. DJF could be a steal this late, as he can do a lot of different things well and Belichick tends to do Belichick things with his RB depth charts as the season goes on. Somewhat above-average if you're grading on the curve that is 18-teamers with a flex.

WR: Evans = beast. Top-5 ceiling for sure. Behind him I've got 3 guys who could conceivably lead their respective teams in receiving yards in Brown, Sharpe, and Torrey - all of whom should be throwing a lot, the former because Cardinals, the latter two because they'll be playing a whole bunch of catch-up. Crowder should give me something resembling a decent floor at WR3, and then ... for some reason I decided to invest in a third, count 'em, third piece of the vaunted 49ers' aerial attack.  :confused:  Word to the wise, kids! Sometimes even in the late rounds, BPA isn't all it's cracked up to be. Below-average on talent alone, but lots of opportunity to go around and a decent skillset mix for a PPR best-ball. Probably should have grabbed Carroo (my other option) at 19.17 instead of a 3rd TE.

TE: So, yeah, you guys are quick learners when it comes to this stuff. In SSL3 with this same 2PPR + flex, I got Reed in the mid-2nd and was able to wait until the mid-6th to nab Barnidge ... this time around, not so much. Still think having two potential top-10 TEs justifies the 1st- and 3rd-round cost, but not a lot of margin for error this time around if I'm wrong. Added Willson on a lark at the end just because Graham is still only 9 months removed from his patellar surgery, which seems it could be the "just enough time to feel 100% but prone to reinjury because you actually rushed back" window. This group should be up there with Ref and ryheaps lapping the field to the tune of 5-6 additional points a week ... we'll see if it's enough.

ST: Easy to forget that Walsh is moving back indoors for '16 ... between him and Bradford being just good enough to sputter out in the RZ a bunch, I feel like he's getting undervalued even at PK7. As for the defenses, bleh, whatever, just glad that in an 18-teamer I landed two just before the needle fell to E.

Is this squad any good? I dunno. Not really, I don't think. I realize 18-teamers make most teams look bad, but compared to my SSL3 team this one isn't just bad, it's hot garbage. I should steal enough points in the flex spot to keep me alive for the first couple of weeks, but some combination of lack of WR depth, poorly timed bye weeks, and Blaine ####### Gabbert ought to boot me to the curb by the halfway point.
Your WR's suck...calling Evans=beast is trying to talk yourself into some ####...

Your WR's suck...
It's not always about talent in these leagues ... sometimes opportunity is just as important ... I like D-Jax and Rishard Matthews as much as the next guy, but no one's confusing them for OBJ and Julio, plenty of targets to be had in those spots. And San Fran is gonna run a ton of plays 'cause Chip gonna Chip.

They're not gonna blow the doors off anyone but I think you'll be surprised at year's end when we look back and see five of these guys finished top 60 or so in this format ....

I eeked out a victory in this last year, so returned to the same formula:  spread out the byes among the top six or so rounds of the draft--Gurley, Maclin, Witten, Hill, Sanders, Shepard, Diggs all are on different byes--and I don't have two byes among my RB group or my WR group.  I do with my TE, and they aren't strong, but I got next to nothing from them last year.  Happy with my first guys off the bench Alf and Hogan.  Where I got caught was on both the QB1 and QB2 runs precipitated by having two more teams.  Fitz plus Philly QBs isn't going to compare to last year's Rogers+Cousins.

Go DC Yourself

Player

YTD Pts

Bye

Daniel, Chase PHI QB

-

Fitzpatrick, Ryan NYJ QB

-

Wentz, Carson PHI QB

-

Barner, Kenjon PHI RB

-

Gurley, Todd RAM RB

-

Hill, Jeremy CIN RB

-

Morris, Alfred DAL RB

-

Diggs, Stefon MIN WR

-

Hogan, Chris NEP WR

-

Maclin, Jeremy KCC WR

-

Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR

Shepard, Sterling NYG WR

-

Donnell, Larry NYG TE

-

Williams, Maxx BAL TE (Q)

-

Witten, Jason DAL TE

-

Dawson, Phil SFO PK

-

Novak, Nick HOU PK

-

Colts, Indianapolis IND Def

-

Redskins, Washington WAS Def

-

19 Total Players

Looks to me like Norseman has enough to jump over a few teams and survive

Looks doubtful that Duckboy at 112.95 can get enough from Garcon because he would have to replace a Flex WR at 12+

Old Milwaukee at 115.50 looks to be gone with no MNF players

Next up is Bro1ncos at 115.65 but Zuerlien would have to have 9+ enough IF Garcon has the monster game

That would mean that Reaper and Nittany Lion will survive with 117+

I predict Duckboy and OM walk the Week 1 plank

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Looks doubtful that Duckboy at 112.95 can get enough from Garcon because he would have to replace a Flex WR at 12+

Next up is Bro1ncos at 115.65 but Zuerlien would have to have 9+ enough IF Garcon has the monster game

Good call.  Website has been updated.

:shock:    :excited:    :thumbup:

What............................???????????

Quit prodding me with that sword, you *******!

I'll jump when I am good and ready!

:shark:

Week 2 - Looking for two dead ships

Glad Busman enjoyed the draft because Crippler was correct - Busman's team is OUT after Week 2

The second OUT will likely be decided by Philly's D's ability to contain Jeremy Langford

Broadway G has 126.40 + Langford, while

Maggot Brain has 129.60 + two Eagle non-starters, Josh Huff and Trey Burton

IF both teams could score into the high 130s then Stinkin Ref who has 135.90 + PHL DST would need a contribution there.

My prediction has Maggot Brain joining Busman on this week's plank ............

Well Langford didn't hold up his end so Broadway G will join Busman on the Week 2 plank

Bye week (have to have some excuse) put Aaron Rodgers and Mason Crosby on his bench and doomed Crippler to walk the plank after Week 4

Bye week (have to have some excuse) put Aaron Rodgers and Mason Crosby on his bench and doomed Crippler to walk the plank after Week 4
Other than I survived and beat shadowfax

i won't be long with another if player

Week 5 puts Stinkin Ref on the OUT list

and Mr. Irrelevant takes down the Immunity for Week 6

Well unless GO DC Yourself can get almost a 40 burger from Fitzmagic he will be the Week 6 Bootee

ETA Ryheaps grabs the Week 7 Immunity

I think Reaper walks the plank after Week 7 as Norseman has lots of ways to score three points

Immunity for the first bye week with six teams off > TBD

I don't think Monday can change top or bottom slots ...

OUT - Bro1ncos

Immunity to nittanylion

Here we are at Week 9 with the bootee candidates (3) anxiously awaiting the Bills @ Seahawks 

Captain Hook currently low man at 104.85 but adds all points from Christine Michael

Norseman is next up at 107.75 who has Jimmy Graham minus just 0.10

Crippler is next at 109.85 who has all of Reggie Bush AND Greg Salas and possibility of Seahawks DST but minus 11

Anybody's plank or escape.

GL to my opponents - hopefully Edelman on vacation doesn't doom my squad

Things look slightly clearer at the top of the heap with maggot brain at 181.05 (but I didn't look at all the longshot scenarios there)

maggot brain gets Immunity for Week 10

AAAAAARGGHHHHH Captain Hook walks the plank  :wall:

can one of the surviving teams take over the updates? If not, please PM Bass

Absolutely possible this isn't correct, but it appears to me that:

Week 10 OUT: by_the_sea_wannabe

Week 11 IMMUNITY: Maggot Brain (2nd Week in a row)

Who's left in the lifeboat: Maggot Brain, Mr. Irrelevant, nittanylion, Ryheaps, Norseman, Crippler

I'm not going to amend the MFL Site, but maybe someone else could confirm these results and do so?

Week 11 OUT: Norseman

Week 11 IMMUNITY: Ryheaps

the MBSL Five: Maggot Brain, Mr. Irrelevant, Ryheaps, nittanylion, Crippler

...at least as far as I can tell...

So if I'm tracking this properly, the final Immunity saves the day for Ryheaps in Week 12, and keeps him alive for the stretch run.

Week 12 OUT: Crippler

MBSL Final Four: Maggot Brain, Mr. Irrelevant, nittanylion, Ryheaps

...if I'm tracking this properly...

So if I'm tracking this properly, the final Immunity saves the day for Ryheaps in Week 12, and keeps him alive for the stretch run.

Week 12 OUT: Crippler

MBSL Final Four: Maggot Brain, Mr. Irrelevant, nittanylion, Ryheaps

...if I'm tracking this properly...
Just double-checked and it appears this is accurate so I've updated the MBSL website accordingly. Last four standing:

FRANCHISE

PF

AVG PF

Maggot Brain - F4

Mr. Irrelevant - F4

nittanylion - F4

Ryheaps - F4

Best of luck to everyone down the stretch!  :thumbup:

Total craziness ... a 2-week long three-team semifinal, and it all comes down to a Greg Olsen 4th-quarter catch on MNF:

@ryheaps: 143.70 + 168.10 = 311.80

@Mr. Irrelevant: 113.40 + 148.10 = 261.50

@Maggot Brain:  140.15 + 119.65 = 259.80

Props to MB who was this season's point leader basically wire-to-wire ... although I'm not gonna get too maudlin, as it means my first-ever trip to the finals in these. :D

Next up, it's Ry and MI in a Week 16-17 battle royale steel cage match for the MBSL title belt. Gentlemen, start your engines!

Well, the MBSL finalists didn't exactly cover themselves in glory over the last 2 weeks, both posting below-average point totals ... but in the end I get to play the role of Philippides, falling across the finish line while declaring news of my first-ever Survivor League victory ...

@Mr. Irrelevant: 151.60 + 120.65 = 272.25

@ryheaps: 84.60 + 136.45 = 221.05

Special thanks to @BassNBrew and team for a fun offseason of these ... already looking forward to the 2017 editions.

Congrats on the win, Mr Irrelevent. My team sure picked a great week to crap the bed in week 16...  Regardless, thanks to Bass for coordinating these!  See you next year. 

Ugh....dang it Bass...I NEEDED immunity this week. I've got multiple key players on bye week 8 and could be very vulnerable.

Ugh....dang it Bass...I NEEDED immunity this week. I've got multiple key players on bye week 8 and could be very vulnerable.
Sorry man.  Kind of a waste for me as I'm toast week nine with a guaranteed 0 at QB, K, and missing 4 additional players.  My team is not very good.

Users who are viewing this thread