What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Proposed Rule Changes - Voting Results (updating OP) (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
So far this is the most updated information I was able to find. Will update this post as I see information come in. Feel free to post below if I miss it

Approved Rules Changes

No leaping during place-kicks

The Competition Committee voted to make leaping over the line of scrimmage at the snap on PATs and field goals illegal, citing player safety as the rationale.

Ejections for “targeting”

The Committee also approved automatic ejections for helmet-to-helmet hits on defenseless receivers, though the ejections will be subject to video review. This rule is very similar to the “targeting” rule that was implemented in college football a few years ago.

Centralizing Instant Replay

It’s about time. The approved proposal dictates that all replay reviews will be decided by head of officiating (currently Dean Blandino) at the NFL’s league office in New York City. Referees will be able to provide input and watch replays on a tablet, but the league will make the final call.

Other Approved Proposals

The following additional proposals were approved. Below is the language from an NFL press release on the changes:

• Makes permanent the rule that disqualifies a player who is penalized twice in one game for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls
  • Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line for one year only. (Rule is renewed, and was in place only for 2016)
  • Gives a receiver running a pass route defenseless player protection
  • Makes crackback blocks prohibited by a backfield player who is in motion, even if he is not more than two yards outside the tackle when the ball is snapped
  • Makes it Unsportsmanlike Conduct to commit multiple fouls during the same down designed to manipulate the game clock
  • Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.

Denied Proposals

Moving back touchbacks when kickoffs go through the uprights

This would have been a fun and somewhat interesting rule, which proposed that if a kickoff traveled through the uprights, the receiving team would start from the 20-yard line instead of the 25. However, the Committee reportedly voted against this proposal.

Shortening Overtime from 15 minutes to 10 minutes

This proposal was a bit odd from the start - especially the arguments that said it would not lead to more tie games. Instead, the proposal has been tabled for lack of support and OT will remain 15 minutes long during the preseason and regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that "leaping" over the line to block a kick was one of the most exciting plays going...so it makes sense that the NFL would outlaw it. 

I like the targeting rule.  Too many brutal hits for no reason.  They've tried other methods to get players to stop the recklessness and it hasn't really worked. 

I thought that "leaping" over the line to block a kick was one of the most exciting plays going...so it makes sense that the NFL would outlaw it. 

I like the targeting rule.  Too many brutal hits for no reason.  They've tried other methods to get players to stop the recklessness and it hasn't really worked. 
I'm with you too. I think the leaping over the line was a fun play. It's a slippery slope... are we going to ban a RB leaping over the pile at the 1 yard line next? It's essentially the same play but on offense

I do like the targeting rule and I am a very big fan of the instant replay rule change. 

The two rules voted down I'm very pleased. 

Completely agree.

Big fan of them centralizing instant replay for consistency. It will be nice to see an identical play called the same way between two games when I'm watching RedZone instead of having Hochuli see it his game one way and then Triplette sees his different.

I'm with you too. I think the leaping over the line was a fun play. It's a slippery slope... are we going to ban a RB leaping over the pile at the 1 yard line next? It's essentially the same play but on offense

I do like the targeting rule and I am a very big fan of the instant replay rule change. 

The two rules voted down I'm very pleased. 
Yeah - one year you make it harder for PATs by moving line back and now you do this.  I do not remember anyone being "hurt" because of it.

As far as the rules not implemented...I think the kick off rule may be fun, but it's not really football to me.

As far as shortening the overtime, why would you do that?  It seems to me, nobody likes a tie - I would go the other way and play the game until decided.

Yeah - one year you make it harder for PATs by moving line back and now you do this.  I do not remember anyone being "hurt" because of it.

As far as the rules not implemented...I think the kick off rule may be fun, but it's not really football to me.

As far as shortening the overtime, why would you do that?  It seems to me, nobody likes a tie - I would go the other way and play the game until decided.
I think the reasoning was that it would speed up OT. I still think they should adopt college OT rules personally. But I think shortening the time would result in more ties myself. Takes 24 votes to pass something so you have to have quite a few teams opposed to a rule change

I think the reasoning was that it would speed up OT. I still think they should adopt college OT rules personally. But I think it'd result in more ties myself. Takes 24 votes to pass something so you have to have quite a few teams opposed to a rule change
I like the college rule but I've also seen games go to 5-6 OTs which sure is exciting...definitely, not something the NFL would want!  :-)

Completely agree.

Big fan of them centralizing instant replay for consistency. It will be nice to see an identical play called the same way between two games when I'm watching RedZone instead of having Hochuli see it his game one way and then Triplette sees his different.
Apparently Philadelphia proposed this rule. We can blame them

yeah this was my biggest question too

so are they talking about like, spiking the ball in lieu of a TO?

intentionally going OB?
This is all I found:

Currently, if teams commit an illegal substitution penalty or lose a replay review while the clock was running and there was under one minute to play, there was a 10-second runoff. This rule change would make it a 10-second runoff where there are under two minutes to play.
Weird though because replays within 2 minutes come from the booth :shrug:  
I'm guessing if the offense has a penalty within the last 2 minutes there's a 10 second run off now. 

I think the reasoning was that it would speed up OT. I still think they should adopt college OT rules personally. But I think shortening the time would result in more ties myself. Takes 24 votes to pass something so you have to have quite a few teams opposed to a rule change

I like the college rule but I've also seen games go to 5-6 OTs which sure is exciting...definitely, not something the NFL would want!  :-)
Would be epic for fantasy, potentially anyway.  Unless you're playing against the QB who scores 3 more TDs because of triple OT. 

Would be epic for fantasy, potentially anyway.  Unless you're playing against the QB who scores 3 more TDs because of triple OT. 
That'd be amazing. Imagine the records that would be shattered as well. Maybe this is a main reason they won't do it (preserve records). Or maybe the union won't allow it

That'd be amazing. Imagine the records that would be shattered as well. Maybe this is a main reason they won't do it (preserve records). Or maybe the union won't allow it
Extra football doesn't equate to player safety which is what the league is all about now....except for wanting an 18 game season instead of 16.

Extra football doesn't equate to player safety which is what the league is all about now....except for wanting an 18 game season instead of 16.
Exactly. That's why I don't get it... they want their money but they want to make it look like they care about player safety.

The league is so over-saturated (thursday, london/mexico, sunday, sunday night, monday). 18 games would be a mistake. 

Oh crap.  The implementation of the targeting rule in the Big 10 has been an unmitigated disaster, and that's with the games stopping for 5 minutes for officials to watch replays, after which they still often get the call wrong by the replays that TV viewers were able to see.

Great intentions with a terrible outcome.

Leaping would have begun to be countered by the center reaching up and tripping the guy.  Pretty soon guys are landing on their faces or kicking the center in the face with their knee when they don't get high enough, etc.  I loved seeing it but it was doomed instantly.

I'd love to see college style OT.  Start from the 20, that's going to be max of 5 plays per team per OT.  No kickoffs, no punts, the most dangerous plays removed.

Users who are viewing this thread