What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Draft - IDP (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
Here's the first set of rankings I've seen that are FF-focused. Pre-draft, so I'm sure these will change a lot:

Honestly, I don't do much IDP prep before the NFL draft. It's just too painful to decide you really like a guy, then see him made worthless in your league position/scoring system.

Biggest questions I have every year:
  • Does a safety project as a deep or box player? Somewhat team dependent.
  • Does a linebacker project to 3 downs? Team dependent.
  • What scheme does an edge land in? Team dependent.

For my home league right now

i see it as

1. Will Anderson
2. Trent Simpson
3. Drew Sanders
4. Noah Sewell
5. Myles Murphy
6. Jack Campbell
7. Henry Tootoo
8. Jalen Carter
9. Daiyan Henley
10. Demarvion Overshown
11. Tyree Wilson
12. Isiah Forksey
13. Ivan Pace
14. Luke Van Ness
15. Brian Branch

I don't do much IDP prep before the NFL draft. It's just too painful to decide you really like a guy, then see him made worthless in your league position/scoring system.

Biggest questions I have every year:
  • Does a safety project as a deep or box player? Somewhat team dependent.
  • Does a linebacker project to 3 downs? Team dependent.
  • What scheme does an edge land in? Team dependent.
:goodposting:
I think it's important to be aware of round 2 edge's with day 1 talent and re safety above - yes, but not generally not beyond day 2 unless they fell for health reasons. The vast majority of the time & energy I expend on rookie IDP's are mid-late round LB's. Per usual, it depends on the league, but in my experience most managers are only patient with premier IDP talent so if these types don't hit instantly then they end up on waivers sooner rather than later.

I’m with you. I like to read up on players but hate trying to rank them as it’s a crap shoot for what team they end up on and how they’re used until after the draft. Also, with coaching changes at DC, there will be a lot of flip flopping 3-4 and 4-3.

I generally don't put a ton of time into rookies until after the draft and after some training camp reports. I have that luxury because my drafts are always later in the summer (end of August/right around Labor Day).

I also don't spend a lot of time on the offensive side of the ball because that info is readily available in a lot of places done by guys that know a lot more than I do. I do try and get some film watching in for the eye test but most of the info is based on cheatsheets and evals by pros.

Defense on the other hand I spend a lot of time on because the info is hard to come by. You are forced to figure this stuff out on your own (a lot like the offensive side many, many years ago). It's really where you can gain advantages over your leaguemates by putting in the time and effort.

The earliest draft in my leagues finished up yesterday. 12 Team Dynasty SF IDP (start 8 O & 8 IDP) with pretty well-balanced scoring.

1st IDP taken was Will Anderson at 1.11 (My pick but I traded back for 2.02 & 3.02). Jack Campbell at 2.01 and Jalen Carter at 2.08. Balanced scoring but still felt too high for me on any of them. Next was my selection of Tyree Wilson with the 3.01 I acquired moving down.

This league was a startup last year so I had little knowledge on how the league would draft. It was a combination of owners from 2 leagues that were dissolving last year. Definitely a group that was more offensive focused in rounds 1-3.

Link to league draft.

I'm in the middle of 3, and one is going terribly. My team didn't have an especially strong need at DL.

My picks:
Pick 5: Quentin Johnston
Pick 29: Tyree Wilson
Pick 41: Lukas Van Ness
Pick 53: Will McDonald

I typically don't take IDPs in a rookie draft, but these are top-16 DEs falling way too far. This draft is great for most of the first round, then really takes a dive. I'm looking at third round WRs and 5th round RBs and just taking the DEs instead. Oof.

Also, every time I read/type Abanikanda's name, my brain can't avoid completing the fake palindrome with "Abanikanda canal, Panama!"

Compare to the other 2 drafts, where instead of Tyree at 29, I got Jayden Reed at 25 and 34. 2nd round early breakout WR, please!

The earliest draft in my leagues finished up yesterday. 12 Team Dynasty SF IDP (start 8 O & 8 IDP) with pretty well-balanced scoring.

1st IDP taken was Will Anderson at 1.11 (My pick but I traded back for 2.02 & 3.02). Jack Campbell at 2.01 and Jalen Carter at 2.08. Balanced scoring but still felt too high for me on any of them. Next was my selection of Tyree Wilson with the 3.01 I acquired moving down.

This league was a startup last year so I had little knowledge on how the league would draft. It was a combination of owners from 2 leagues that were dissolving last year. Definitely a group that was more offensive focused in rounds 1-3.

Link to league draft.
Whoa, Bijan at 4.

Link to league draft.
Whoa, Bijan at 4.
I have the #3 pick in a 12 tm SF. I hope Bijan drops to me.

Link to league draft.
Whoa, Bijan at 4.
We just did our 10 owner SF/IDP rookie draft on Saturday and I was shocked that I was able to take Jahmyr Gibbs with 1.10. Bijan went 1.02 with Richardson going 1.01.

We just did our 10 owner SF/IDP rookie draft on Saturday and I was shocked that I was able to take Jahmyr Gibbs with 1.10. Bijan went 1.02 with Richardson going 1.01.
So did a lot of IDP's go off the board in round 1? Still not sure how Gibbs lasts until 1.10

Link to league draft.
Whoa, Bijan at 4.
Our 12 team started today. Bijan went 1.01, Richardson at 1.02. Gibbs at 1.05.

It’s been said before but league scoring and design matters so much.

In our 16 team, 40 active + 10 taxi salary cap where elite player scoring across positions is about even except QB, Anderson went at 5, Campbell at 7, Carter at 11 and Tyree W. at 13.

**EDIT** For the record, Bijan at 1.01, Gibbs at 1.02, QB's at 1.03 & 1.04 (QB's are hard to come by) and JSN at 1.06.

Last edited:
It’s been said before but league scoring and design matters so much.

In our 16 team, 40 active + 10 taxi salary cap where elite player scoring across positions is about even except QB, Anderson went at 5, Campbell at 7, Carter at 11 and Tyree W. at 13.

**EDIT** For the record, Bijan at 1.01, Gibbs at 1.02, QB's at 1.03 & 1.04 (QB's are hard to come by) and JSN at 1.06.

Definitely. I generally say "balanced scoring" but even that is relative. I'm saying it as a decent balance between points scored by O compared to D because I have a league or two that the offensive players score 50% more points per season than their IDP counterparts.

Zealots Phalanx IDP-only rookie draft is ongoing (start 3 DTs, 3 DEs, 5 LBs, 3 CBs, 3 Ss, and 1 PN). I’m Cronus Titans out of the 9 spot.

Here's my IDP haul this season:
PPR 1Q 3/3/3: McDonald (DE) pick 49
PPR 1Q 3/3/3: McDonald (DE) 72
PPR 1Q 3/3/3: Wilson (DE) 29, Van Ness (DE) 40, McDonald (DE) 53
PPR 1Q 3/3/3: Wilson (DE) 50, McDonald (DE) 62
PPR 1Q 2/3/2: None
PPR 2Q 2/2/2+2: Henley (LB) 46
PPR 2Q 2/3/3: Van Ness (DE) 43
PPR 2Q 2/3/3: Van Ness (DE) 45, S.Brown (DB) 69

I said no LBs or DBs for me this year, but decided to pick up Henley in a league where 64 LBs should be started every week, then Brown in a league where I already had DL depth.

Last edited:
Zealots Phalanx IDP-only rookie draft is ongoing (start 3 DTs, 3 DEs, 5 LBs, 3 CBs, 3 Ss, and 1 PN). I’m Cronus Titans out of the 9 spot.

Looking at this. I don’t understand again, how LB does not go 1-2-3. They had 24 of top 27 scorer spots and with 5 needed, the supply and demand with MFL moving all edge rushers to DE is very low amount available. Do owners get sucked in by draft capital. Now my league is can start 3 or 4 DL and not as deep as this but 8 teams have under 4 LB starters and must do a 4-3-4 or 4-2-5 despite LBs controlling the top.

starters from top to bottom and next 10 best for bye weeks

DT 14.08 to 7.32 to 6.8
DE. 18.02 to 10.64 to 9.10
LB. 21.85 to 12.58 to 10.15
CB. 15.79 to 10.38 to 9.49
S. 17.78 to 12.23 to 10.99

I know Anderson, Carter, Wilson have draft capital over Henley and Sanders(Campbell should be slam dunk #1) but position scarcity and overall success and need, have me taking both over any DL. Damn the need. Especially with the depth of DL Love Nolan Smith in late 2nd.

Looking at this. I don’t understand again, how LB does not go 1-2-3. They had 24 of top 27 scorer spots and with 5 needed, the supply and demand with MFL moving all edge rushers to DE is very low amount available. Do owners get sucked in by draft capital. Now my league is can start 3 or 4 DL and not as deep as this but 8 teams have under 4 LB starters and must do a 4-3-4 or 4-2-5 despite LBs controlling the top.

DT 14.08 to 7.32 to 6.8

I know Anderson, Carter, Wilson have draft capital over Henley and Sanders(Campbell should be slam dunk #1) but position scarcity and overall success and need, have me taking both over any DL. Damn the need. Especially with the depth of DL Love Nolan Smith in late 2nd.
I probably would have drafted similar to you if I was drafting that high, but, if someone thinks Anderson is a HOF caliber plug and play difference maker, I can see the argument for him there. LB is more scarce with the designation changes on MFL, but does have more unpredictability — even in a league that deep, I’ve gotten guys like Sanborn and Singleton off waivers.

My second draft (SF IDP 12 team) wrapped up last week. I took over an orphan and didn't know anyone. These folks were super heavy on offensive players.

Top IDP:
Anderson 30
Wilson 32
Campbell 34
Sanders 36
Simpson 39
VanNess 41
Murphy 45
Henley 54
McDonald 55

DT 14.08 to 7.32 to 6.8

As always it depends on the league, but I think there is a reasonable likelihood Henley (and Simpson) have a difficult time getting above 80+% snaps by year 2. I didn't pick him anywhere, but I had Anderson ranked higher than both of them. Campbell-Sanders is my 1-2 regardless though. Never got the former, but have a couple shares of the latter when he fell to the mid 3rd.

In the middle of our annual devy draft and question comes to mind seeing rookie IDP drafts this year - where do some of the big names next year slot relative to this year,

For example, where do guys like Verse, Dallas Turner, or Trotter Jr slot if they were available this year? I’m trying to decide if guys like Overshown or Henley are more valuable than grabbing and holding a guy like Trotter for example.

I think you'd need to convince yourself a '24 LB prospect is likely to be a 1st rd pick in order to justify them over a current yr 3rd rounder.

I treat IDPs like it's a redraft league for the most part, so I can't imagine using a devy slot on an IDP unless forced to. Stash any available WR from a blue-blood school instead - Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma, USC.

Users who are viewing this thread