What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2nd Year WR (1 Viewer)

Who breaks out, as a #1 WR?

• 1 3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 7 Troy Williamson WR South Carolina

• 1 10 Mike Williams WR Southern California

• 1 21 Matt Jones WR Arkansas

• 1 22 Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

• 1 27 Roddy White WR Ala.-Birmingham

• 2 35 Reggie Brown WR Georgia

• 2 39 Mark Bradley WR Oklahoma

• 2 55 Roscoe Parrish WR Miami

• 2 58 Terrence Murphy WR Texas A&M

• 2 61 Vincent Jackson WR Northern Colorado

• 3 68 Courtney Roby WR Indiana

• 3 83 Chris Henry WR West Virginia

• 3 96 Brandon Jones WR Oklahoma

• Other

• Total voters

FUBAR

Footballguy
Which 2nd year WR has the best chance to break out as a FF force this year?

Also, as a seperate question, which do you draft as the best value?

I couldn't list:

4 114 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

4 116 Craphonso Thorpe WR Florida State

4 118 Chase Lyman WR California

4 131 Fred Gibson WR Georgia

4 136 Roydell Williams WR Tulane

5 140 Airese Currie WR Clemson

5 155 Larry Brackins WR Pearl River JC

5 174 Rasheed Marshall WR West Virginia

6 185 Chad Owens WR Hawaii

6 190 Tab Perry WR UCLA

6 192 Dante' Ridgeway WR Ball State

6 195 Craig Bragg WR UCLA

7 223 Marcus Maxwell WR Oregon

7 225 Paris Warren WR Utah

7 226 LeRon McCoy WR Indiana, Pa.

7 240 Harry Williams WR Tuskegee

7 253 J.R. Russell WR Louisville

If you want one of these, please explain why.

I think Reggie Brown will be given the best chance to be a #1 wr but Id watch Mark Bradley very closely.....Would have said the same about Brandon Jones but they brought in Givens so im not so sure on him now...

Matt Jones could be starting if after the draft Jacksonville part ways with Jimmy Smith which they were rumored to do last year....would they go with there youth in Wilford-Matt and Reggie WIlliams?

I also believe Braylon will be a FF STud but probaly not this upcoming year. Roddy White also seem to have a connection with Vick last year but i wouldnt put too much stock into Vick developing a major FF factor at wr.

my .02 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me crazy, but I'm liking Mark Clayton's chances for a breakout season this year. I have little to base it on, other than a couple of impressive games at the end of the season with Boller back at QB. Call it a hunch, but then again, D. Mason isn't getting any younger.

Call me crazy, but I'm liking Mark Clayton's chances for a breakout season this year. I have little to base it on, other than a couple of impressive games at the end of the season with Boller back at QB. Call it a hunch, but then again, D. Mason isn't getting any younger.
If Edwards wouldn't have gotten hurt he was the easy choice here. But since we are not looking at a 100 percent Edwards until 2007 I think Clayton is a nice pick here. He looked great at the end of the season and I think he and Boller developed a synergy that will carry over to 2006.

It seems to me that an inordinate amount of injuries occured to this group last year. I would look for one of the injured WRs to come out of nowhere this coming year.

I think Mark Clayton and Roddy White are better recievers than Reggie Brown, but their situations aren't as good as Brown's. It could be another couple of years before they breakout. FWIW, I think Clayton is the most talented reciever from last year's class.

I think Mark Clayton and Roddy White are better recievers than Reggie Brown, but their situations aren't as good as Brown's. It could be another couple of years before they breakout. FWIW, I think Clayton is the most talented reciever from last year's class.
Clayton is certainly up there, but I consider Braylon and Jones to be more talented. All of these WRs have questions surrounding them, pick your poison.

Braylon - injury, IMO not a great pick for 2006, but maybe towards the end of the year, and certainly 2007 and beyond, he'll be a big time player.

Clayton - Boller?

Roddy White - Vick? Running offense

Jones - is he #2 this year, or #3 behind Jimmy and Wilford? I think he'll be on the field plenty, but is still a work in progress.

Williams - work ethic? QB? Other WRs?

Reggie Brown - less questions, but perhaps not as talented.

I'm stuck between Jones, Brown and Roddy White here. I'll vote for Jones, with the caveat that I see a better 2nd half than beggining of the season.

I'm shocked by the results thus far.

Are people voting on a real-life or fantasy basis?

Brown is clearly in the best situation with the offense he is in and the lack of quality WRs on his team... but he has to be like the 5th most talented WR on this list.

I'd take Braylon Edwards because I think Frye's development has been underrated.

None of these guys proved much last year, but Mark Clayton looked consistent down the stretch.

Long term I like Edwards, Clayton, then probly Brown, Matt Jones, Roddy White, and Bradley

This year I think only three will take significant steps forward: Edwards, Clayton (assuming the Ravens get their QB straightened out) and Brown... then the rest are too close to call

If Murphy hits the field at all it will be a minor miracle - still not cleared to play.

Braylon Edwards will likely not be ready to practice until the preseason (see thread on front page today - Righetti stat=rted it March 31st) - so expecting great things out of him this year is probably optimistic.

At best Troy Williamson will be #2 in Minny if either K-Rob or Taylor gets injured - not much chance there either

I voted based on the poll question, which asked which one had the best chance to be a #1 WR. Based on that I chose Reggie Brown.

However if you were to ask me to rank these wideouts, Mark Clayton and Matt Jones would've been my 1-2.

Had I read the initial post before voting I would've voted differently as it was seemingly asking a different question.

As I read the question, who has the best chance at a breakout 2006? It has to be Brown, given his situation. He wouldn't be my frist choice for a dynasty league, but the question essentially means (IMHO) think redraft. Brown is not the most talented WR on this list by any means, but no one else on the list has more going for him in 2006.

I'm still in shock that the Titans signed Givens. Kinda makes ya wonder how they truly feel about all those young WRs they got last year.

Clayton and Jones probably

I own, Henry, Brown, Jackson, Braylon, and BMW

currently I would rank them by talent this way

Braylon

Henry

brown

williams

jackson

best FF THIS year

Brown

Braylon

Williams

Jackson

Henry

Dynasty

Braylon

Jackson

Henry

Brown

Williams

I voted based on the poll question, which asked which one had the best chance to be a #1 WR. Based on that I chose Reggie Brown.

However if you were to ask me to rank these wideouts, Mark Clayton and Matt Jones would've been my 1-2.

Had I read the initial post before voting I would've voted differently as it was seemingly asking a different question.
I meant as a Fantasy #1, in other words, top 12ish. If the answer is still Brown, makes enough sense to me.I'd consider him among the top, probably the most consistent among these, but I voted Roddy White as Vick learns that he can rely on him, something Vick has been missing - a reliable WR.

As I read the question, who has the best chance at a breakout 2006? It has to be Brown, given his situation. He wouldn't be my frist choice for a dynasty league, but the question essentially means (IMHO) think redraft. Brown is not the most talented WR on this list by any means, but no one else on the list has more going for him in 2006.
Yes, although a person could easily think that the guy with the best chance to be a top 12 WR has so much risk that he wouldn't draft him ahead of others.In a redraft, I would assume Brown is the top guy taken here, although Braylon Edwards might be for name recognition. He's certainly safest. But, if things break right, Clayton, White and Jones could have great years.

Yes, although a person could easily think that the guy with the best chance to be a top 12 WR has so much risk that he wouldn't draft him ahead of others.In a redraft, I would assume Brown is the top guy taken here, although Braylon Edwards might be for name recognition. He's certainly safest. But, if things break right, Clayton, White and Jones could have great years.
IMO, any of these guys need a few breaks to have a great year, Brown just has the fewest and smallest obstacles in front of him. He's also the only apparent WR1 in the group. The only thing that will hold him back is how far his talent can take him. Put any top 25 vet in his position and he'd be a stud. I don't think he'll quite crack top 20, but given 16 games as WR1 for PHI has to be worth 1000/5 for any NFL WR.

voted reggie brown, talent and opportunity is there. if edwards werent coming off major injury i woulda gone with him.

i love vince jackson long term, guy could be a monster.

I think Reggie Brown will be given the best chance to be a #1 wr but Id watch Mark Bradley very closely.....Would have said the same about Brandon Jones but they brought in Givens so im not so sure on him now...

Matt Jones could be starting if after the draft Jacksonville part ways with Jimmy Smith which they were rumored to do last year....would they go with there youth in Wilford-Matt and Reggie WIlliams?

I also believe Braylon will be a FF STud but probaly not this upcoming year. Roddy White also seem to have a connection with Vick last year but i wouldnt put too much stock into Vick developing a major FF factor at wr.

my .02 cents
:goodposting: Have to like Brown's prospects in the Philly pass only offense, especially with the dung they have at WR currently.

but didn't Bradley blow out a knee? And Brandon Jones?

Unless Smith's contract is prohibitive to the Jags team, I can't see them getting rid of the most consistent and complete WR on the team, especially when they were 12-4 last year and a playoff team. It might be diff if they were 2-14 and rebuilding.

Well said on Braylon.

Good point on Roddy, don't like the QB situation for him, unless Vick is allowed to run 30 yards downfield and HAND the ball to him. :lmao:

I interpreted the question as "which of these 2nd year WR's will be the #1 WR on their NFL team (not "which has most potential to be a #1 fantasy WR in '06). Based on my interpretation, I'm going with Roddy White as the #1 WR in Atl this season (not counting Crumpler as a TE). The other guys still look like #2 or #3 WR's on their given NFL teams.

I don't see Clayton clearing himself as the #1 until Mason fades into the sunset. Williamson is still too raw, but should improve.

A healthy Edwards is the easy choice, but I actually like Vince Jackson as a darkhorse/sleeper type of guy. He wont make the probowl or anything, but expect him to surprise people this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I interpreted the question as "which of these 2nd year WR's will be the #1 WR on their NFL team (not "which has most potential to be a #1 fantasy WR in '06).
Your interpretation is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread