What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

30th Anniversary Ideas (1 Viewer)

Wife and I recently celebrated our 29th anniversary and went out for a nice dinner. Conversation turned to, “What will we do on our 30th”. One idea that came up was a trip on the Pacific Coast Highway (we live outside of DC and have always lived on the eastern side of the country). Any ideas, suggestions or opinions on the PCH?

We have about 12 days we can take off probably.

We love road-trips but wondered if 12 would be too much (tiring) so we thought about taking 7 or 8 days on PCH and then 3-5 days at the end of the trip at a resort where we can veg the last few days on the beach. Looked into Cabo but certainly open to suggestions and opinions on this aspect.

Feel free to recommend something else.

Following, our 30th is next year as well. She's beachy so will probably involve a condo and water someplace. Don't really want to waste a lot of $$$ going to HI.

PCH is a great idea. We flew into Seattle and hit the 101 in Astoria and spent 8-9 days meandering south and ended in Monterey and flew out of San Jose.
A fantastic trip and lots to do along the way.

Congrats!

Some nice hubs along the way:

San Diego
Laguna beach
Santa Barbara
Paso Robles
Solving
Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur
San Francisco
Sonoma/healdsburg/Napa
Not sure if this was supposed to be in order from south to north. If so then Paso Robles and Solvang need to be flipped as Solvang is just after Santa Barbara and about 90 minutes south of Paso Robles. To add a few other choices as I wouldn't bother with Solvang or Paso Robles I would replace them with Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, San Simeon (Hearst Castle), and/or Cambria.

Congrats!

San Diego
Laguna beach
Santa Barbara
Paso Robles
Solving
Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur
San Francisco
Sonoma/healdsburg/Napa
Not sure if this was supposed to be in order from south to north. If so then Paso Robles and Solvang need to be flipped as Solvang is just after Santa Barbara and about 90 minutes south of Paso Robles.
right. i saw that but haven't edited yet. i think solvang is fine for a 1/2 day from santa barbara, but certainly enjoy the other spots you mentioned

right. i saw that but haven't edited yet. i think solvang is fine for a 1/2 day from santa barbara, but certainly enjoy the other spots you mentioned
Solvang is terrible. But I hate shopping and walking around going from trinket shop to trinket shop. I would much rather spend that time in Pismo at a bar on the beach sipping a cocktail, enjoying the sun and watching the surf.

If you like shopping in boutique trinket stores that are tremendously over priced for stuff you don't need then Solvang may be your place. Like you said, it takes about 2 hours to walk the entire thing depending on how long you want to browse in each store. If you really want to stop in that area I would recommend walking the grounds of the nearby mission and looking at the historical items associated with that over the forced tourist town of Solvang.

(Sorry, I live in the area and hate when out of towners want to go to Solvang for the day. It drives me bonkers).

Congrats. We're approaching 30 years as well. For our 20th, we revisited our honeymoon location (Aruba). If you haven't done that and like the place, it could be another viable alternative.

Congrats!

San Diego
Laguna beach
Santa Barbara
Paso Robles
Solving
Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur
San Francisco
Sonoma/healdsburg/Napa
Not sure if this was supposed to be in order from south to north. If so then Paso Robles and Solvang need to be flipped as Solvang is just after Santa Barbara and about 90 minutes south of Paso Robles. To add a few other choices as I wouldn't bother with Solvang or Paso Robles I would replace them with Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, San Simeon (Hearst Castle), and/or Cambria.
Please help Bugs find his way.

Congrats. We're approaching 30 years as well. For our 20th, we revisited our honeymoon location (Aruba). If you haven't done that and like the place, it could be another viable alternative.
We’ve done Aruba and love it and will be back but we want to be gone about 12 days and think we might grow weary of the island after a week or so. Thanks!

PCH is a great idea. We flew into Seattle and hit the 101 in Astoria and spent 8-9 days meandering south and ended in Monterey and flew out of San Jose.
Would love to hear more about your trip. We are kind of foodies and would love to hear about lesser known but great places.

You didn’t go down very far into CA. Was it because there was to much to see and do? We were thinking of taking 7 or 8 days to drive from Seattle to San Diego, which would be 4ish hours a day of traveling.

Would love to hear more about your trip. We are kind of foodies and would love to hear about lesser known but great places.

You didn’t go down very far into CA. Was it because there was to much to see and do? We were thinking of taking 7 or 8 days to drive from Seattle to San Diego, which would be 4ish hours a day of traveling.
You interested in the wineries?

The smaller ones are usually more fun, and there are so many great places to eat out there

Mendocino is pretty good for a PCH spot as well. A bit less-traveled than some of the other places because further north. More hippies per capita though (whether that’s a pro or con, I defer).

I am in industry and can offer restaurant, winery, and brewery recs from Healdsburg down to Monterey/Carmel

Our 30th is in August and we are going nowhere. :no: We have one kid going back to college and we have another moving from Ft Collins to Denver that for some reason it became our responsibility to cover all the moving expenses and deposits.

So the wife and I are going to put our wants on hold and maybe in the Spring, plan something.

Our 30th is in August and we are going nowhere. :no: We have one kid going back to college and we have another moving from Ft Collins to Denver that for some reason it became our responsibility to cover all the moving expenses and deposits.

So the wife and I are going to put our wants on hold and maybe in the Spring, plan something.
**** them kids!

Wife and I recently celebrated our 29th anniversary and went out for a nice dinner. Conversation turned to, “What will we do on our 30th”. One idea that came up was a trip on the Pacific Coast Highway (we live outside of DC and have always lived on the eastern side of the country). Any ideas, suggestions or opinions on the PCH?

We love road-trips but wondered if 12 would be too much (tiring) so we thought about taking 7 or 8 days on PCH and then 3-5 days at the end of the trip at a resort where we can veg the last few days on the beach. Looked into Cabo but certainly open to suggestions and opinions on this aspect.

Wife and I are celebrating 32 years tomorrow and we are headed to Banff on Saturday. I've read others calling it the Switzerland of North America. :thumbup:

Wife and I are celebrating 32 years tomorrow and we are headed to Banff on Saturday. I've read others calling it the Switzerland of North America. :thumbup:
banff is gorgeous ,
drive the parkway between jasper and banff
I have always found more wildlife roams through the city of jasper then Banff

We’ve done Aruba and love it and will be back but we want to be gone about 12 days and think we might grow weary of the island after a week or so. Thanks!
Sorry, I meant for you to go back to wherever it was that you did your original honeymoon, not necessarily Aruba.

Sorry, I meant for you to go back to wherever it was that you did your original honeymoon, not necessarily Aruba.
We didn’t really take a honeymoon. Poor as we could be at that point in our lives. Took a few days away in a “nice” hotel - Comfort Inn.

We didn’t really take a honeymoon. Poor as we could be at that point in our lives. Took a few days away in a “nice” hotel - Comfort Inn.
Step up to the La Quinta. :thumbup:

What time of year? I live in So Cal and while I see the appeal of the PCH drive I wouldn't want to do it right now. It's been June gloom for literally 2 months. Cold, drizzle, fog, etc.

10 day itin from ChatGPT

Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway in California offers a stunning coastal experience. Here's a suggested 10-day itinerary with some of the best stops along the way:

Day 1: Start in San Francisco. Explore popular attractions like the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, and Fisherman's Wharf.

Day 2: Drive south to Santa Cruz and enjoy its beautiful beaches, the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and the Santa Cruz Wharf.

Day 3: Continue to Monterey and visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Cannery Row. Take a scenic drive along the 17-Mile Drive, known for its picturesque coastal views.

Day 4: Head to Big Sur, famous for its rugged cliffs and breathtaking landscapes. Stop by Bixby Creek Bridge and McWay Falls in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.

Day 5: Explore the charming town of San Simeon and visit the magnificent Hearst Castle, a grand mansion with stunning architecture and gardens.

Day 6: Continue south to Paso Robles, a renowned wine region. Take a tour of wineries and enjoy wine tastings.

Day 7: Drive to San Luis Obispo, a vibrant college town. Explore the historic downtown and visit Bubblegum Alley.

Day 8: Continue south to Santa Barbara, known for its beautiful beaches, Spanish architecture, and vibrant downtown. Visit the Santa Barbara Mission and Stearns Wharf.

Day 9: Drive to Malibu and enjoy its stunning beaches. Take a scenic hike in the Santa Monica Mountains or visit the Getty Villa.

Day 10: Reach your final destination, Los Angeles. Explore the city's iconic attractions like Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and the Santa Monica Pier.

Remember to check road conditions and availability of attractions before your trip. Feel free to customize this itinerary based on your preferences and the time you have available.

I know Cabo inside and out. If you decide to go there let me know. Different kid of vacation. Obviously more nightlife options there, places to party, etc. Many great restaurants too. If you want quieter, more beautiful and upscale, I highly recommend getting inside the gates at Punta Mita. About 40 minutes from Puerto Vallarta. Stunning. Can rent a condo which has access to 3 private beach clubs, golf cart drivable to great restaurants just outside the security gate, 2 golf courses, etc. Just beautiful.

One trip to consider is Vancouver/Seattle. I loved loved loved Vancouver. But I would only do it in July/August. Great weather and you get daylight until 9 or 10pm. Tons to do, melting pot, gorgeous place and great restaurants.

I live in So Cal as I said and 2 of the cities I'm most down on right now are SF and LA. SF went from being one of my favorite cities in the country to completely off the list. The homeless problem is just stupid bad. Used to go there all the time for weekends with the wife and now I hate going there even on business. Certain parts of LA are the same. Tents everywhere, people on sidewalks - it's bad. Portland is terrible too. Don't know about Seattle. Just food for thought if you consider a west coast trip

10 day itin from ChatGPT

Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway in California offers a stunning coastal experience. Here's a suggested 10-day itinerary with some of the best stops along the way:

Day 1: Start in San Francisco. Explore popular attractions like the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, and Fisherman's Wharf.

Day 2: Drive south to Santa Cruz and enjoy its beautiful beaches, the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and the Santa Cruz Wharf.

Day 3: Continue to Monterey and visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Cannery Row. Take a scenic drive along the 17-Mile Drive, known for its picturesque coastal views.

Day 4: Head to Big Sur, famous for its rugged cliffs and breathtaking landscapes. Stop by Bixby Creek Bridge and McWay Falls in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.

Day 5: Explore the charming town of San Simeon and visit the magnificent Hearst Castle, a grand mansion with stunning architecture and gardens.

Day 6: Continue south to Paso Robles, a renowned wine region. Take a tour of wineries and enjoy wine tastings.

Day 7: Drive to San Luis Obispo, a vibrant college town. Explore the historic downtown and visit Bubblegum Alley.

Day 8: Continue south to Santa Barbara, known for its beautiful beaches, Spanish architecture, and vibrant downtown. Visit the Santa Barbara Mission and Stearns Wharf.

Day 9: Drive to Malibu and enjoy its stunning beaches. Take a scenic hike in the Santa Monica Mountains or visit the Getty Villa.

Day 10: Reach your final destination, Los Angeles. Explore the city's iconic attractions like Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and the Santa Monica Pier.

Remember to check road conditions and availability of attractions before your trip. Feel free to customize this itinerary based on your preferences and the time you have available.
That’s really good for a machine. But personally, I’d end it at Santa Barbara and beef up time in Napa / Sonoma on the front end.

What time of year? I live in So Cal and while I see the appeal of the PCH drive I wouldn't want to do it right now. It's been June gloom for literally 2 months. Cold, drizzle, fog, etc.
Probably would be traveling in July which is probably not ideal?? Slight chance we could delay till September.

congrats beefer that is a great thing these days and i think the drive sounds like a great trip best to you and your wife take that to the bank brohan

Don't do this. It is extremely dumb and disgusting. Downtown is nice as a smallish college town and if you are there on a Thursday evening they close the main drag down for a Farmer's market which is very worth doing.

I live in So Cal as I said and 2 of the cities I'm most down on right now are SF and LA. SF went from being one of my favorite cities in the country to completely off the list. The homeless problem is just stupid bad. Used to go there all the time for weekends with the wife and now I hate going there even on business. Certain parts of LA are the same. Tents everywhere, people on sidewalks - it's bad. Portland is terrible too. Don't know about Seattle. Just food for thought if you consider a west coast trip
Totally agree. Those big cities are terrible now other than the few main attractions (Alcatraz type) but having to wade through the homeless to get around is disheartening. There are plenty of other smaller locations that are much better and worthwhile over those large cities.

Probably would be traveling in July which is probably not ideal?? Slight chance we could delay till September.
September might be the choice if you can swing it. I live an hour north of Santa Barbara right on the coast and September/October are usually the nicest time as the fog has diminished and the weather is usually in the high 70's low 80's for most of the time. Best time of the year for this area.

Hey, a bunch of 30th coming up! Ours too next October. We're heading to Hawaii for the 4th time.

We did a PCH drive but had a lot of fog along the way. Medford Oregon is a nice town to stop in for the night if you're heading down from Portland or areas north. We went from Portland down to just outside Monterey.

Users who are viewing this thread