What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

dunno if anyone is reading anymore, but i will be posting a 70yo album, even tho that's a few years away yet. you see, i got a project idea (i have 23 open writing files anyway - what's a 24th, eh?) from one of the albums posted in this thread and i wanna use the occasion to tell y'all about it. you never know - i could be working on it or have it out @ 70 if my fat ol' pneumonia-prone body survives this contagion. stay tuned -

dunno if anyone is reading anymore, but i will be posting a 70yo album, even tho that's a few years away yet. you see, i got a project idea (i have 23 open writing files anyway - what's a 24th, eh?) from one of the albums posted in this thread and i wanna use the occasion to tell y'all about it. you never know - i could be working on it or have it out @ 70 if my fat ol' pneumonia-prone body survives this contagion. stay tuned -
:popcorn:

Like every good collection these days, mine has a 'bonus track':

This bonus song is from a movie that caught me completely off-guard around the time I turned 50.  I knew nothing about the source material, but I knew the subject matter well, once I gave into its presentation.  I'm far from the hero of the story, yet in some corner of my past was a longing to have been more like him. Well, there was one thing we had in common: we both at one time dated a girl too young for us and was out of our league at the same time.  The difference was there was no mysterious stranger new in town to distract me.  Anyway, while I never went on any kind of journey resembling Scott Pilgrim's, his is the kind of story I would have been proud to have created.  From Scott Pilgrim vs the World, here is Threshold.

Bonus track  -  Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)

One of those songs that I remember where I was the first time I heard it.  The person I was partying with actually called the radio station and requested it because she didn't have the album yet.  I loved that immediately.

And  a bonus album  -  Dreamboat Annie

I went to Oregon in 1976 to do archaeology with the National Science Foundation.  While I was waiting at my host's house before going to the airport, I played her new album.  When I got home, I bought it immediately.  No regrets there.  It always takes me right back to that spot.

love this - yeah, I still have a 60 Yr Old Album to put in here as well.  Really stuck - think it will have to be based on what we play the most of these days (mostly pretty varied) it's going to have to be between two old Elton albums.  
60 Yr Old Album: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

After a couple of days of playing both of these albums straight through a handful of times, I went with GYBR.  As much as I love his music, it's really my last Elton album.  He has some really good individual songs after this, but no albums after this compare to anything before.  A TON of GREAT songs but like a lot of music - best listened as an entire album in the order the artist intended.  

70yo Album (3+ years away) - Up Against It, Todd Rundgren

Hello Broadway!

As my Li'l Bardot - on&off gf for over 40 years - said to me during one breakup, "I leave you to be with someone you really love". There is nothing more exciting than when i sense myself at the intersection a great convergence of ideas. I've thought about little else the last 48 hours. Let me tell you about it 

Easter Sunday, @Binky The Doormat posted two Todd Rundgren concerts recorded with a symphony orchestra. The larger-scale arrangement wonderfully brought out some of the musical elements often overshadowed by Runt's musical glibness and idea storms and i was delighted by it. I quickly got a sense of Leonard Bernstein in the orchestrations and wondered if Runt had ever tried writing a musical comedy. With Google, one never wonders long anymore. I learned that he, like every other rock antique, is presently pitching a jukebox musical (the scourge of Broadway - more on that later) based on his hits, but had also written an original musical based on a piece by '60s madcap satirical playwright Joe Orton called Up Against It and had put out an album of the score in 1989.

Further clicks revealed that Up Against It was originally a screenplay intended to be.................................wait for it......................the Beatles' 3rd movie. The boys, and especially Brian Epstein, were quite taken with this hot new writer with the same droll, Northron sense of humor as Liverpudlians and were excited to branch into greater literary ambitions w their next cinema project.

Amazingly, i havent gotten to the best part of it. Epstein asked the director of the first two Beatle flix, Richard Lester, to meet with Orton. Guess what the chaffeur he and producer Oscar Lewenstein sent to pick up Orton for the meeting discovered at his flat? The playwright was dead on the floor, head beaten in with a claw hammer, with his longtime partner, lover and murderer lying dead of a subsequent overdose next to him. Right?!

A ready-made score with lots of big-number feel and FOUR different stories of the exigencies of putting on a show - Runt now, Runt then, Beatles then, Orton and his theater & sexual partner dead of their jealousies (personal & professional) on the floor. PLUS, the original Up Against It piece. With all that material around me, the ghosts of Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland began to swirl around me yelling "Let's put on a show!!".

I was the kind of kid who put on shows ALL the time. My most willing accomplices were my three cousins on my mothers side. They caught the fever so much that they begged their parents to audition for the Pgh Civic Light Opera production of Sound of Music and were as delighted with my Crapp Family Singers parody of their participation as they were being onstage for the first time. One of those cousins subsequently won a Best Picture Oscar for his first movie, Chicago, and his baby sister has won three Tony awards for choreography. Honest.

Unfortunately, baby sister's career has been interrupted by a dreadful contagion - Broadway's fever for cheap-way-out risk reduction by, instead of soliciting original musicals, building prefab stories around the songbooks of hitmakers like ABBA, Carole King, the Four Seasons, Temptations. Cousin Kathleen has lost money for her investors ONCE in 20 years on Broadway as a director/choreographer and most of her shows have spawned touring companies, yet she cant get a theater for her shows anymore. Case in point - she staged a musical based on the movie Diner with an original score by Sheryl Crow. No thanks, but if you wanna make a show of Crow's hits, come on dowwwwn!

So, what your humble servant aims to attempt is a satire of jukebox musicals, combining Rundgren's ongoing pitch for one of his own, his auditioners' backwork into his backlog (finding Up Against It), Orton pitching Up Against It to the Beatles, Orton and his lover/partner/murderer's original attempts to get their stuff seen. A show about origin of four different shows. If that aint enough material for a musical, i dont know what is. Wish me luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those things are just awful.  They make me think of the way musicals were back in the early 20th Century before Showboat appeared.
Just so. Except there were 60 theaters on Broadway then - plenty room for Ziegfeld burlesques. Now there are barely a dozen. If Hamilton (the only thing one of our members could cite from the 21st C that was unequivocally better than 20th C art) was workshopping now, who knows if it would get a chance?! My cousin's husband is a producer who specialized for decades in bringing some of Great Britain's more adventurous legitimate theater productions to Broadway. He's SOL now and has had to take work packaging......wait for it......jukebox musicals, so Kathleen has the enemy in her own house.

Just so. Except there were 60 theaters on Broadway then - plenty room for Ziegfeld burlesques. Now there are barely a dozen. If Hamilton (the only thing one of our members could cite from the 21st C that was unequivocally better than 20th C art) was workshopping now, who knows if it would get a chance?! My cousin's husband is a producer who specialized for decades in bringing some of Great Britain's more adventurous legitimate theater productions to Broadway. He's SOL now and has had to take work packaging......wait for it......jukebox musicals, so Kathleen has the enemy in her own house.
This kind of makes me think of the Disney sing-a-long that is on TV tonight.  Yoikes.

This kind of makes me think of the Disney sing-a-long that is on TV tonight.  Yoikes.
Yeah, her brother Rob did his last three movies (Into the Woods, Mary Poppins Returns - and had the live-action Little Mermaid interrupted by the contagion) for the Mouse and is just sailing along and Kathleen has worked on a historically-accurate revival of Unsinkable Molly Brown for almost ten years with a Colorado school  teacher who updated the story and a remarkable young songwriter who wrote three new numbers that sound EXACTLY like Meredith Wilson (most famous for Music Man, who wrote the original), couldnt get a theater, finally got someone to finance it off-Broadway and, when C-19 hit, they couldnt afford to suspend and closed outright. She ain't suffering or anything, but that's basically the two sides of musicals these days.

Yeah, her brother Rob did his last three movies (Into the Woods, Mary Poppins Returns - and had the live-action Little Mermaid interrupted by the contagion) for the Mouse and is just sailing along and Kathleen has worked on a historically-accurate revival of Unsinkable Molly Brown for almost ten years with a Colorado school  teacher who updated the story and a remarkable young songwriter who wrote three new numbers that sound EXACTLY like Meredith Wilson (most famous for Music Man, who wrote the original), couldnt get a theater, finally got someone to finance it off-Broadway and, when C-19 hit, they couldnt afford to suspend and closed outright. She ain't suffering or anything, but that's basically the two sides of musicals these days.
just a spoon full of sugar man ...just a spoon full of sugar

Those things are just awful.  They make me think of the way musicals were back in the early 20th Century before Showboat appeared.
Just so. Except there were 60 theaters on Broadway then - plenty room for Ziegfeld burlesques. Now there are barely a dozen.
C'mon, even you two aren't old enough to remember that
I'm pretty sure somewhere in these threads there was a story where wikkid was Rudy Vallee's road manager up until he got really big hosting the "Fleischmann's Yeast Hour" radio program. Said he was a peach of a guy, but a mean drunk.  

I'm pretty sure somewhere in these threads there was a story where wikkid was Rudy Vallee's road manager up until he got really big hosting the "Fleischmann's Yeast Hour" radio program. Said he was a peach of a guy, but a mean drunk.  
yeah, we snorted yeastballs (making the morphine bloom in the sinuses) with that big "oh-dody-oh-doh" horn of his

wikkidpissah said:
yeah, we snorted yeastballs (making the morphine bloom in the sinuses) with that big "oh-dody-oh-doh" horn of his
PM me if you can get your hands on some black market yeast.  This dough ain't gonna rise by itself.

70yo song Sham a Ling Dong Ding, Jesse Winchester

Only cuz i heard this today and realized i forgot it as one of my old man songs. It's a song so ;lovely that i purely love to sing it, but rarely make it thru without breaking up. In this case, it made Elvis Costello & Neko Case cry in the run-through AND the show. Almost makes want to romance some ol' cookie just so i could melt her with it.

This would be after the food draft, but putting it out in the world to see how ridiculous it looks. As I type it out, it's pretty damn ridiculous but I think it could also be amazing

I have an idea for a sort of companion draft to this that is all about how cool we used to be. I have no idea if this idea is way too nerdy/out there/look at me... but my idea is for a "Losing My Edge/But I Was There" draft. 

It would be categories based entirely on the lyrics to the LCD Soundsystem song "Losing My Edge"

Categories could include:

• I'm losing my edge. - Can use this category multiple times
  • The kids are coming up from behind.
  • To the kids from France and from London.
  • But I was there. - Can use this category multiple times
  • I was there in 1968.
  • I was there at the first Can show in Cologne.
  • To the kids whose footsteps I hear when they get on the decks.
  • To the Internet seekers who can tell me every member of every good group from 1962 to 1978.
  • To all the kids in Tokyo and Berlin.
  • To the art-school Brooklynites in little jackets 
  • Borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties.
  • I was there in 1974 at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City.
  • I was working on the organ sounds with much patience.
  • I was there when Captain Beefheart started up his first band.
  • I told him, "Don't do it that way. You'll never make a dime."
  • I was the first guy playing Daft Punk to the rock kids.
  • I played it at CBGB's.
  • Everybody thought I was crazy.
  • We all know. I was there.
  • I've never been wrong.
  • I used to work in the record store.
  • I had everything before anyone.
  • I was there in the Paradise Garage DJ booth with Larry Levan.
  • I was there in Jamaica during the great sound clashes.
  • I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988.
  • To better-looking people with better ideas and more talent.
  • And they're actually really, really nice.
  • I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody.
  • Every great song by the Beach Boys.
  • All the underground hits.
  • All the Modern Lovers tracks.
  • I heard you have a vinyl of every Niagra record on German import.
  • I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87.
  • I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut
  • and another box set from the '70s.
  • I hear you're buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and are throwing your computer out the window because you want to make something real.
  • You want to make a Yaz record.
  • I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.
  • I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.
  • I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.
  • But have you seen my records?
  • This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans,
  • The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual Harrassment, a-ha,
  • Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra,
  • Joy Division, Lower 48, the Association, Sun Ra, Scientists, Royal Trux, 10cc,
  • Eric B. and Rakim, Index, Basic Channel, Soulsonic Force ("just hit me"!), Juan Atkins, David Axelrod, Electric Prunes,
  • Gil! Scott! Heron!,
  • The Slits, Faust, Mantronix, Pharaoh Sanders and the Fire Engines, the Swans, the Soft Cell, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics.
  • You don't know what you really want - Can use this category multiple times

Every category would be completely up to your own interpretation, so "I played it at CBGB's", could be any band that played there or "I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988" could be any song that brings those feelings. The "I heard you sold guitars/turntables and bought turntables/guitars" would be a lot of fun too. I think it's both hugely wide open and then also sometimes very specific but if we said like 20 rounds, you could pick and choose the categories you want to use.

Has quarantine finally driven me completely round the bend? Should we take it farther and add dice and make it a palooza draft :oldunsure: . Are we going to be drafted out after the food one ends?

This would be after the food draft, but putting it out in the world to see how ridiculous it looks. As I type it out, it's pretty damn ridiculous but I think it could also be amazing

I have an idea for a sort of companion draft to this that is all about how cool we used to be. I have no idea if this idea is way too nerdy/out there/look at me... but my idea is for a "Losing My Edge/But I Was There" draft. 

It would be categories based entirely on the lyrics to the LCD Soundsystem song "Losing My Edge"

• I was there in 1968.
  • To the Internet seekers who can tell me every member of every good group from 1962 to 1978.
  • I was there in 1974 at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City.
  • I played it at CBGB's.
  • I've never been wrong.
  • I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87.
  • I hear you're buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and are throwing your computer out the window because you want to make something real.
  • But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans,
  • The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual Harrassment, a-ha,
  • Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra,
  • Joy Division, Lower 48, the Association, Sun Ra, Scientists, Royal Trux, 10cc,
  • Eric B. and Rakim, Index, Basic Channel, Soulsonic Force ("just hit me"!), Juan Atkins, David Axelrod, Electric Prunes,
  • Gil! Scott! Heron!,
  • The Slits, Faust, Mantronix, Pharaoh Sanders and the Fire Engines, the Swans, the Soft Cell, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics.

Every category would be completely up to your own interpretation, so "I played it at CBGB's", could be any band that played there or "I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988" could be any song that brings those feelings. The "I heard you sold guitars/turntables and bought turntables/guitars" would be a lot of fun too. I think it's both hugely wide open and then also sometimes very specific but if we said like 20 rounds, you could pick and choose the categories you want to use.

Has quarantine finally driven me completely round the bend? Should we take it farther and add dice and make it a palooza draft :oldunsure: . Are we going to be drafted out after the food one ends?
I'm slightly confused but always willing to try out a music draft - and love the crowd they bring.

Northern Voice said:

• I was there in 1968.
  • I played it at CBGB's.
  • I've never been wrong.
  • But have you seen my records?
  • This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans,
  • Gil! Scott! Heron!,

my flashbacks might sue you for copyright infringement

I hear you, my brother, but didnt your father walk his path so his children could walk their own? Dont matter when or how a person learns how to best use their life, dont matter how impressive it is. Live, love, laugh, leave it better than you found it. You a good dood, CS - stand up straight & tall right ####### NOW.

@Charlie Steiner, I thought you might like to read this post again.

@Charlie Steiner, I thought you might like to read this post again.
 Wikkid's words were unexpected at the time, yet they were words I needed to hear, and I suppose still need to hear, as this internal battle continues to rage.

As fate would have it, this bump comes at a time when I'm dealing with the legacy of another person who also meant more to me than I realized while he was alive--the pastor who married me and my wife.

I gave a pretty good write-up about him in the RIP thread, but this week, his family finally got to have a memorial gathering for at least a hundred of his family and friends. He was as close to being "Jesus with skin on" (that's what I used to tell my kids when talking about what being a Christian meant) as anyone who ever walked the earth, short of Jesus himself, and I don't mean in a religious way.  He loved without judgement, and you knew that through his actions. He made the effort to connect with everyone he met, he let you know that he cherished his time with you, and as his oldest son said, there was no hypocrisy in him. 

I know this is straying from this thread and wikkid himself, but at the same time, I'd say all of us would agree that he did share the same type of giving nature that my old pastor George had, and that's a precious quality that the world needs desperately, even when the get doesn't feel like the give.

Thanks for bumping this. Now I have goosebumps.

Users who are viewing this thread