What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

I really enjoyed that. Some of the YouTube commenters were saying that it had J. Mascis riffs, and I thought that was pretty accurate, least as far as my ear goes. 
J. Mascis plays guitar on Goshen '97.  Other than that, the record is mostly Tim Showalter playing all the instruments.

J. Mascis plays guitar on Goshen '97.  Other than that, the record is mostly Tim Showalter playing all the instruments.
Ahhh, I see. That guitar ripped. As for the song, I liked how everything was seemingly off-time but really on it. It was very subtle. Maybe I'm just hearing things, but even with a sort of mid-tempo track (which usually will lose me), there was enough to keep me interested.

You know, this was a lot more difficult than I thought.  I've got so many that I left out, but I don't want to turn this into Lakerstan's one million favorite songs.  But here are a few "supplemental picks" for under 20...

Under 10 

Pop Muzik - M - the first time I ever saw a juke box in person was at a friends house and he played this song.  I was so impressed - mostly with the juke box.

Moonlight feels right - Starbuck - what can I say, I'm a sucker for a marimba solo!

Star Wars Theme - Meco - It was Star Wars.  It was Disco.  Like a Reese's peanut butter cup - the two things just went together.

Suavecito - Malo - I loved this song as a kid, but I always thought it was Mamacita   :wall:  so I didn't actually find out the name of the song and who sang it until I was about 30.

Papa was a rolling stone - The Temptations - I don't think I understood this song when I was a kid, but I love it even more now.

Age 10 - 20:  This was the 80's - I loved the 80's.

Steppin' Out - Joe Jackson - the song I always felt I would die to

Happy Hour - The Housemartins - Ah yes, my MOD phase.  MadnessEnglish Beat (and it's offspring, General Public), The Jam (and it's offspring, Style Council), and all the other groups that had poorly filmed British videos.....or dancing on bridges.

...and about a thousand others...

Last edited by a moderator:
Age 40 Song

i became a father at age 37 - i wasn't ready for this. i resigned myself to never going down that path. i accepted it, and it felt like the right decision, seeing as how i was having enough of a struggle just caring for myself. i had no designs on visiting any of that #### on other humans who would actually count on me. 

i had barely patched all the leaks on the good ship otb to start thriving somewhat, and finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel that (for once) wasn't just another ####in' freight train.  JUST. ONCE. DAMNIT. 

i fell for my gf instantly - we were kindred from jump, it was a remarkable courtship, and she is just about the most amazing human you could ever hope to know - bright, passionate, independent, compassionate ... and hot as ####in' hell (yeah, that don't hurt).

there is a 15+ year age gap between us, and she was terrified that she would fail as a mother, and it tore her up - thinking she wasn't mature enough to deal with me and motherhood - but terminating was never an option she entertained.  i assured her that the love and sweetness that she possessed would see her through. she was an angel all through the pregnancy, and i did all i could to make her feel safe and secure and loved and appreciated - she moved up here with me in January, our baby was due in August.  i squired us into a sweet dupe on 8th ave ... spent the better part of a month preparing the nursery - did it up in lime green and pink (NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS!) - fixed the rest of the jernt up for max comfort for the mom to be.  we had a concrete yard right off our laundry room, and i covered every square inch in padded tiles, put in a sandbox and mini swingset and slide. the side projects and my regular gig served to distract me, in retrospect ... my gf was ready, she was beside herself with anticipation - marking each milestone day/week of the pregnancy ... but i was still having a hell of a time wrapping my head around all this.  

it floored me when i stopped to catch my breath - so i kept busy and busier - i had to. getting a buzz or drunk on wasn't cool because my gf couldn't partake because of the baby, and because she is STAUNCH sXe (straight edge - no booze, drugs, tobacco ever in her life).  i kept finding projects.  i painted the ####in' hallway.  and the stoop bannister. and the garbage cans.  

and the date kept creeping up.

the day my daughter was born stopped the clock - was time to hit RESET.  

so i did. 

i can blag on for another 1,644 paragraphs about how much it impacted drastic change in my life, but i think you all can grasp the kinda seismic shift it necessitated.  

when i was asked by doc Ozzie (our OB) to cut the umbilical cord, i viewed it as a severing of all the bull#### that had preceeded that moment - time to stand up. 

then i got to hold her - hfs ... no words. 

ready or not, it was time. 

time to be responsible. time to care for something/someone other than my own damn selfish and reckless ###. 

i had no handbook or instruction manual - my childhood was rife with examples of how NOT to rear a child ... how NOT to give a #### about the kid's feelings.  or fears  or troubles.  

brave new world.  i couldn't let those two down - i'd rather die trying than throw my hands up - it was time for the long haul. 

greatest moment of my life. 

every second since has been all i could've hoped for - it was a rebirth for me, and it more than likely saved my life. 

Eephus said:
Having second thoughts about not ranking Sound & Fury on my AOTY ballot :oldunsure: but I liked the album with this song better.
I think I wrote as much in my write up, but while Sailor has more high points Sound & Fury is a complete album. Sequencing matters.

Age 60 song - Smile, Please - Stevie Wonder

Just me @Eephus and @Mrs. Rannous left now? And only me for 65..................................................................

One of the most fun things about songs is when they mean something to you they cant possibly mean to anyone else. Case in point, here - i've told the story before. Few years ago, i had the last in a series of heart attacks during a walk. I crawled home, dragged myself into bed, brooded over the fact that the bypass they told me i'd have to have if another one hit me ensured that i would never again be on my feet financially, so i decided to just let the fool thing take me. Thing is, the body dont let you just surrender - you dont hand your sword to the Reaper and say bye. Singing's not a bad way to ride out pain, but i was too much in contest to think of a song. I hit the button on my alarm clock and Fullingness' First Finale was in the CD player. There are worse soundtracks for a demise and i started to sing. Sang that damn record for more than 12 hours, by which time the symptoms had subsided enough to let me sleep. My thumper toyed with me for the next ten days or so before mostly letting me go, but it did, i filed for Medicaid and doctors found a cocktail of cardiowonders that have me still going. Get the odd grabber now & then, though, and my response is always to sing the "bom bom diddy bom" from the chorus of this song.

...and the old folks soldier on

60.S   High Water (for Charlie Patton)  -  Bob Dylan

I turned 60 on February 23, 2020.  The year had a particularly inauspicious start with my dog dying that morning.  Just around the time that cloud was starting to lift, COVID-19 came along to fill the void.  We've now been sheltered in place for 52% of the year and counting.

I rediscovered Dylan's music through my dog walking shtick last year and have continued to listen to his music after Bosley's passing.  I find myself relating more to grumpy old man Dylan than young firebrand Dylan but it's all good, well most of it anyway.  Dylan has a song for every occasion but I struggled to pick one to symbolize this frightening and very strange seven weeks.  I went through songs of loneliness, loss, faith, redemption and love before choosing this one off of 2001's Love and Theft album.  High Water is a mythical tale of the Great Mississippi flood of 1927 but on another level, it's a companion piece to A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall.  To me, it captures the mixture of the apocalyptic and the absurd that characterizes our current state.

...and the old folks soldier on

60.S   High Water (for Charlie Patton)  -  Bob Dylan

I turned 60 on February 23, 2020.  The year had a particularly inauspicious start with my dog dying that morning.  Just around the time that cloud was starting to lift, COVID-19 came along to fill the void.  We've now been sheltered in place for 52% of the year and counting.

I rediscovered Dylan's music through my dog walking shtick last year and have continued to listen to his music after Bosley's passing.  I find myself relating more to grumpy old man Dylan than young firebrand Dylan but it's all good, well most of it anyway.  Dylan has a song for every occasion but I struggled to pick one to symbolize this frightening and very strange seven weeks.  I went through songs of loneliness, loss, faith, redemption and love before choosing this one off of 2001's Love and Theft album.  High Water is a mythical tale of the Great Mississippi flood of 1927 but on another level, it's a companion piece to A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall.  To me, it captures the mixture of the apocalyptic and the absurd that characterizes our current state.
great stuff, but i never thought we'd reach a stage where the best actor to portray Bob Dylan would be Vincent Price....

otb_lifer said:
Age 40 Song

i became a father at age 37 - i wasn't ready for this. i resigned myself to never going down that path. i accepted it, and it felt like the right decision, seeing as how i was having enough of a struggle just caring for myself. i had no designs on visiting any of that #### on other humans who would actually count on me. 

i had barely patched all the leaks on the good ship otb to start thriving somewhat, and finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel that (for once) wasn't just another ####in' freight train.  JUST. ONCE. DAMNIT. 

i fell for my gf instantly - we were kindred from jump, it was a remarkable courtship, and she is just about the most amazing human you could ever hope to know - bright, passionate, independent, compassionate ... and hot as ####in' hell (yeah, that don't hurt).

there is a 15+ year age gap between us, and she was terrified that she would fail as a mother, and it tore her up - thinking she wasn't mature enough to deal with me and motherhood - but terminating was never an option she entertained.  i assured her that the love and sweetness that she possessed would see her through. she was an angel all through the pregnancy, and i did all i could to make her feel safe and secure and loved and appreciated - she moved up here with me in January, our baby was due in August.  i squired us into a sweet dupe on 8th ave ... spent the better part of a month preparing the nursery - did it up in lime green and pink (NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS!) - fixed the rest of the jernt up for max comfort for the mom to be.  we had a concrete yard right off our laundry room, and i covered every square inch in padded tiles, put in a sandbox and mini swingset and slide. the side projects and my regular gig served to distract me, in retrospect ... my gf was ready, she was beside herself with anticipation - marking each milestone day/week of the pregnancy ... but i was still having a hell of a time wrapping my head around all this.  

it floored me when i stopped to catch my breath - so i kept busy and busier - i had to. getting a buzz or drunk on wasn't cool because my gf couldn't partake because of the baby, and because she is STAUNCH sXe (straight edge - no booze, drugs, tobacco ever in her life).  i kept finding projects.  i painted the ####in' hallway.  and the stoop bannister. and the garbage cans.  

and the date kept creeping up.

the day my daughter was born stopped the clock - was time to hit RESET.  

so i did. 

i can blag on for another 1,644 paragraphs about how much it impacted drastic change in my life, but i think you all can grasp the kinda seismic shift it necessitated.  

when i was asked by doc Ozzie (our OB) to cut the umbilical cord, i viewed it as a severing of all the bull#### that had preceeded that moment - time to stand up. 

then i got to hold her - no words can convey the joy that swelled throughout every inch of my person ... i was responsible for this little life that was kicking and screaming ... when i saw her blue eyes (just like momma's) crying it melted me. 

ready or not, it was time. 

time to be responsible. time to care for something/someone other than my own damn selfish and reckless ###. 

i had no handbook or instruction manual - my childhood was rife with examples of how NOT to rear a child ... how NOT to give a #### about the kid's feelings.  or fears  or troubles.  

brave new world.  i couldn't let those two down - i'd rather die trying than throw my hands up - it was time for the long haul. 

greatest moment of my life. 

every second since has been all i could've hoped for - it was a rebirth for me, and it more than likely saved my life. 
Great write-up and I definitely relate to the bolded. With regard to the song, I always take heat from my friends for appreciating Paul Westerberg's solo work. They are Replacements fans like me, but look down their noses at his work since the band broke up. Their loss.

Great write-up and I definitely relate to the bolded. With regard to the song, I always take heat from my friends for appreciating Paul Westerberg's solo work. They are Replacements fans like me, but look down their noses at his work since the band broke up. Their loss.
Westerberg makes my rotating 4th Rushmore bust (permanent Dylan/Lennon/Bowie) - i loved "Eventually", it had such an air of resigned maturity to it.   

it was a wonderful companion to my own growth thru that same age period. 

There were amber waves of grain,
And hawks and rustle thrushes
There were serotonin rushes.
There were purple mountain majesties above the fruited plain
There were diamonds in the drain.

To me it didn't seem all that much better
When he went and climbed up on that cross
To me you didn't seem all that much like a princess with your
Bandaged hands and your hacking cough.

Arms and Hearts is a b-side but maybe also a top 10 Hold Steady song?

And... I just got an idea for the next draft...

Westerberg makes my rotating 4th Rushmore bust (permanent Dylan/Lennon/Bowie) - i loved "Eventually", it had such an air of resigned maturity to it.   

it was a wonderful companion to my own growth thru that same age period. 
Westerberg had the same problem most of us in the draft did, he got old.  He's 60 now, same as me.  The 'Mats fame was built on being young and crazy which is a hard act to follow.  If you don't grow up, you stand a good chance of ending up like Bob Stinson.

Paul's second act has been done on his own terms.  Even the records that were more mainstream are still both  highly personal and underproduced.  And there are other records that sound like he recorded them in the trunk of his car.  But it's a deep catalog full of great songs.  Not many songwriters can say their songs were covered by Glen Campbell and used in a cartoon.

I know I wrote something up about that Okkervil River show. I guess I posted something over at the hoof and then didn't end up posting anything over here. I remember our singer went to the Reds game before the show and got super ripped. Puking in the bathroom before the show ripped. He pulled it together, though. Fun show from what I recall. I remember them being nice guys. 
Travis Nelsen (drummer from Okkervil River) died yesterday :(

Rick Rubin and Malcolm Gladwell have a podcast called "Broken Record". They recently had an episode featuring Glen Hansard and his music. If you are a fan, it is worth checking out.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but there are quite a few interesting artists that have been featured on the "Broken Record" podcast: T Bone Burnett, Roseanne Cash, Flea, The Black Keys, Nathaniel Rateliff, Raconteurs, Vampire Weekend to name a few. I thought this would be a good thread to mention it.

When you look into my eyes
And you see the crazy gypsy in my soul
It always comes as a surprise
When I feel my withered roots begin to grow

Well I never had a place
That I could call my very own
But that's all right my love
'Cause you're my home

When you touch my weary head
And you tell me everything will be all right
You say use my body for your bed
And my love will keep you warm throughout the night

Well I'll never be a stranger
And I'll never be alone
Wherever we're together
That's my home

Home could be the Pennsylvania turnpike
Indiana's early morning dew
High up in the hills of California
Home is just another word for you

Well I never had a place that I could call my very own
But that's all right my love 'cause you're my home

If I travel all my life
And I never get stop and settle down
Long as I have you by my side
There's a roof above and good walls all around
You're my castle, you're my cabin
And my instant pleasure dome
I need you in my house
'Cause you're my home
You're my home

The other night dear
As I lay sleeping
I dreamt I held you in my arms
But when I woke up
I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried

You are my sunshine...

When you look into my eyes
And you see the crazy gypsy in my soul
It always comes as a surprise
When I feel my withered roots begin to grow
I've been largely allergic to the two big 70s piano men since they became famous, which always makes it a great pleasure to be reminded of the art that got them there.

60yo Album - So Beautiful Or So What, Paul Simon

We are gods or we are bugs.

My favorite FFA trope. Nobody but a mad dictator could actually mean that, but folks always take me seriously when i say it.

The actual truth is we are both - inheritors, for some unknowable reason, of bugly bods and souls of gods. Yeah, we gotta eat & find shelter & breed & work & work & work & gain status so we work less and have more & go along & get along & die.

But none of that is why. It can't be. 66 years on this earth and i dont know why any better than when i started and it don't slow me from looking one li'l bit. And that's what god is - curiosity. Why is that house brown? Why is she that way? What would happen if i did this? Can i do that and live with myself? Ooh, what's that?! The opportunity to ask these things is so godly that i don't care how bugly life is between chances. And most people don't get there with all this and that makes me feel even more lucky and sad.

Paul Simon agrees with me. The world amazes him, is amazed by him and can do completely without him and there aint but a flit of spacetime between the phenomena. So it must be about us, but none of it actually matters except that it continue to happen in the best way we can manage it.

Isn't it strange the way we're ignorant
How we seek out bad advice
How we jigger it and figure it
Mistaking value for the price
And play a game with time and Love
Like a pair of rolling dice
So beautiful, so beautiful
So what

I was all wrapped up in football and the upcoming rookie draft and wikkid snapped me out of it and back into real life, the things that really matter.

Nice.

50 Yr Old Song: Tick Tick Boom - The Hives

Not a big back story on this one.  I really have been trying to keep the representative "song" of the year something fairly recent to that particular year, while the albums are firmly planted in what I remember most about that time ...and I/we were still deeply entrenched in playing albums - as music was intended to be  :).  

We didn't watch much MTV, somewhere I saw the video and bought the album.  Like a lot of bands, I had heard of them but hadn't paid much attention.  We were listening to a lot of White Stripes at the time and this fit right in.  Infectious.  

55 Yr Old Album:  Todd Rundgren at the Metropole Orchestra (both 2011 and 2012)  

Well, you can probably buy them somewhere ...but we just go to the youtubes ...We love them both.  It's like a celebration of hits that aren't necessarily radio-friendly popular - just deep cut Todd enthusiasts.  Pretty cool to have the Amsterdam Orchestra wanting to pay tribute to the guy.  They are both just a great long play.  We'd put this on my laptop and Chromecast it through the tv.  We put them on ...cook, drink some wine ...whatever.  It's extremely relaxing for us - very much a couples thing.  

We have pretty good speakers and our kitchen is right there in by the family room with the tv.  It's also nice that the national treasure Mathilde Santing, was a part of it as well.  She has a great version of "Pretending to Care."

Both of these still bring us joy a number of times a year.  

And the television’s on. 

Go to the grocery store, buy some new friends and find out the beginning, the end and the best of it.

Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?

60.A  Beethoven: Complete String Quartets  -  Tokyo String Quartet

I've been listening to more Classical over the past seven or eight years.   As I've gotten deeper into it, I've broadened my listening from symphonies and concertos to more chamber music and solo pieces ( I'm still weak on Classical vocals and opera but working on it).  An orchestra is like an early analog synthesizer with almost limitless variation and color but it's fascinating to hear composers and performers work within the the more restrictive boundaries of a form like the string quartet.

Beethoven wrote sixteen string quartets starting in his early twenties and ending in deafness in the last three years of his life.  His quartets pre- and post-date his nine symphonies.  Beethoven's extraordinary late quartets (#12-16) were among the first chamber music I listened to.  I think I posted #14 Opus 131 as my favorite piece of Classical music in that FFA thread.  But after listening to the Brodsky Quartet's new recording of the late quartets, I've taken a deeper dive into the others during quarantine.  They've become my preferred late night listening music; The four instruments interweaving through melody and counterpoint have become part of a ritual that helps me wind down after another day of doing nothing. 

Some nights I listen on shuffle. Other times I'll compare a single movement performed by several of the hundred different versions on Spotify.  But most of the time, I'll pick a random piece from this record by the Tokyo String Quartet.  I've never really been an audiophile. I've always spent my money on music rather than the gear.  But as I've gotten older and my high frequency hearing diminished, I've had a slight change of heart.  This recording is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever heard.

So there it is for now.  I started with Led Zeppelin and ended with Beethoven.  I didn't intend for my life's journey to be so pretentious but I've gone where the music's taken me.  Thanks to NV and all the drafters.  It's good to get the band back together even if we can't tour.

55 Yr Old Song: Miss Alissa - Eagles of Death Metal

Well it's a bit of a roundabout way I got here.  I love to cook and watch a bunch of cooking shows and was a real fan of Anthony Bourdain and his show "No Reservations."  Bourdain spent an entire 2011 episode with Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age (who I find out much later is pretty much the band).  It was called US West.  Great episode and I loved the music.  I realized this was the group that did a couple songs that I really liked but never looked further into the group. 

I started going back through their catalog and was really attracted to the hard-driving edge to their stuff.  Thanks to Spotify - it leads me then to the Eagles of Death Metal.  when I heard Miss Alissa, I thought it was Jack White - but find out it's these guys.  Man, I hate that it took so long to catch up to these two bands.

This song kicks so much ###.   

Binky The Doormat said:
55 Yr Old Album:  Todd Rundgren at the Metropole Orchestra (both 2011 and 2012)  

Well, you can probably buy them somewhere ...but we just go to the youtubes ...We love them both.  It's like a celebration of hits that aren't necessarily radio-friendly popular - just deep cut Todd enthusiasts.  Pretty cool to have the Amsterdam Orchestra wanting to pay tribute to the guy.  They are both just a great long play.  We'd put this on my laptop and Chromecast it through the tv.  We put them on ...cook, drink some wine ...whatever.  It's extremely relaxing for us - very much a couples thing.  

We have pretty good speakers and our kitchen is right there in by the family room with the tv.  It's also nice that the national treasure Mathilde Santing, was a part of it as well.  She has a great version of "Pretending to Care."

Both of these still bring us joy a number of times a year.  
what a joyous, unironically beautiful, musical presentation! think i'll make this, instead of my Mungo Jerry Countdown, my Easter musical tradition. it has risen!!!

60.A  Beethoven: Complete String Quartets  -  Tokyo String Quartet

I've been listening to more Classical over the past seven or eight years.   As I've gotten deeper into it, I've broadened my listening from symphonies and concertos to more chamber music and solo pieces ( I'm still weak on Classical vocals and opera but working on it).  An orchestra is like an early analog synthesizer with almost limitless variation and color but it's fascinating to hear composers and performers work within the the more restrictive boundaries of a form like the string quartet.

Beethoven wrote sixteen string quartets starting in his early twenties and ending in deafness in the last three years of his life.  His quartets pre- and post-date his nine symphonies.  Beethoven's extraordinary late quartets (#12-16) were among the first chamber music I listened to.  I think I posted #14 Opus 131 as my favorite piece of Classical music in that FFA thread.  But after listening to the Brodsky Quartet's new recording of the late quartets, I've taken a deeper dive into the others during quarantine.  They've become my preferred late night listening music; The four instruments interweaving through melody and counterpoint have become part of a ritual that helps me wind down after another day of doing nothing. 

Some nights I listen on shuffle. Other times I'll compare a single movement performed by several of the hundred different versions on Spotify.  But most of the time, I'll pick a random piece from this record by the Tokyo String Quartet.  I've never really been an audiophile. I've always spent my money on music rather than the gear.  But as I've gotten older and my high frequency hearing diminished, I've had a slight change of heart.  This recording is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever heard.

So there it is for now.  I started with Led Zeppelin and ended with Beethoven.  I didn't intend for my life's journey to be so pretentious but I've gone where the music's taken me.  Thanks to NV and all the drafters.  It's good to get the band back together even if we can't tour.
wOw. i'm a Haydn/Mozart guy on my quartets because i bought them all to listen at while reading/writing and the math of them really kept my flow. Believe i have these by someone somewhere, but they never bubbled up to the top shelf because they didn't fit my needs. but, oh - how both encyclopedic is the referencing and foundational they are to the greatest of all chamber music - the Ravel & Debussy quartets a century later. LvB shouldnt need no bubblin', but you just done give him some.

wOw. i'm a Haydn/Mozart guy on my quartets because i bought them all to listen at while reading/writing and the math of them really kept my flow. Believe i have these by someone somewhere, but they never bubbled up to the top shelf because they didn't fit my needs. but, oh - how both encyclopedic is the referencing and foundational they are to the greatest of all chamber music - the Ravel & Debussy quartets a century later. LvB shouldnt need no bubblin', but you just done give him some.
Beethoven studied under Haydn and the student's early quartets sound like the master's. 

65yo Song, Elephant, Jason Isbell

Lovesick.

Music builds you up, evens you out, tears you down. When i'm torn down, i think of women. Been intimate with several hundred of em. Known more coke whores and party girls than soccer moms and department heads. The most delicate, beautiful thing in creation is a woman figuring out how to proceed once life has kicked em in the teeth. Pretty sure that well more than half of my hundreds were molested as children and/or assaulted as adults. My beloved was not only done by her natural dad but traded to his perv pals and, from age 8, had to "seduce' him to keep him off her baby brother. And i heard dozens of similar stories 'cross the pillow, even tho they're usually the last tale they tell.

The significant challenge of my life has been to balance servicing the twitches in the switches of these women and giving them enough breathing room to make decisions. I was always perversely happy when they decided against me, as long as they didnt choose jumping back into the snakepit. Because they'll always be our greatest hope as soon as we stop whipping em str8 out da gate. This heartbreaking song addresses that side of life, even without the elephant in the room.

65yo Album - The Age of Adz, Sufjan Stevens

Hello?! Anybody out there anymore? Helloooo?!?!

I know this 2011 album dont timeline up, but i just discovered Sufjan a coupla years ago from one of the FFA music threads. There is not a doubt in my mind that he has a Mozartian field in his own noggin and this is the album which best displays that he hears what normal people dont and that he has a pretty full command of turning that into music.

So, is it the album of the age? No. And this would be by far the easiest age to conquer.

So, why not? In a word, authority. My gen had a problem with authority, but it was because we didnt have any, not because we didn't want any. I will continue to assert that the gens which followed mine have wanted ever clearer paths, not only had no special urge to argue with the gods, but no particular inclination at all. They stop where it's comfortable or cool and nest. God bless em, i might have, too. But, as i've worn out all y'all's ears saying, there's a problem for the progress of humanity in those who no longer need to struggle becoming more customer than citizen. Imperatives are the tools of progress, but imperatives harsh one's mellow, invade one's space. You got no mo, doods & doodettes, and it is that lack of forging & fighting which is majorly responsible for your shabby, vulnerable mental health. The human instrument is designed to strive, not appreciate. 

Sufjan Stevens got the gift that one in a billion get. It is his lot, then, to lead a billion others, if not exponentially more. Rock out, you stoopit ####! Fight for us. Show us this existence's blessèd array AND its urgencies. Do you want The Rock, or Taylor frikkin Swift, to be everyone's hero?! Then be the hero, The Guitar Hero, which makes the next generation want more&more&more for EVERYBODY. Canoodling with such gifts is cowardice. nufced

Users who are viewing this thread