What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

$50 + Aged Steak Disaster - Burnt to a Crisp (3 Viewers)

pollardsvision said:
Surely there has to be a company out there selling American Steak Seasoning with the same ingredients as Montreal steak seasoning. 

There must be some portion of the population that does not want some Frenchie Canadian telling them how to season their steak.

Ah, never mind. I just realized that that same portion of the population is cooking their steaks well done and dousing them with ketchup, so the seasoning really doesn't matter.
If xenophobia is blocking your tastebuds from experiencing the ambrosia that is Montreal steak spice, then maybe you can take solace in the fact that McCormick's, based in Baltimore, is the biggest purveyor of it in the US and do a damned fine job.

I believe its origins are from Eastern Europe if it's a French Canadian thing.

Overall, my suggestion to anyone who likes it is to visit Montreal because it's a phenomenal and fun city, and you can get some smoked meat at Schwartz's, it's origin of perfection (or a steak at Moishe's).

Can a cast iron skillet be TOO hot to get a good sear on a sous vide steak? Ive been having issues with searing, as in not getting enough of a crust, and my steaks have been overcooking inside because I have to keep it in the pan too long, and even then Im not getting much of a crust at all. Ive been thinking the pan was hot enough but apparently not. Ive been drying the steaks as good as I can before putting them in the pan but it doesnt seem to be working well for me.

What am I doing wrong? Ive been using canola oil to start the sear and then adding butter and basting as I sear, and Im getting the pan hot enough to make the oil spread and smoke the second it hits the pan.

Can a cast iron skillet be TOO hot to get a good sear on a sous vide steak? Ive been having issues with searing, as in not getting enough of a crust, and my steaks have been overcooking inside because I have to keep it in the pan too long, and even then Im not getting much of a crust at all. Ive been thinking the pan was hot enough but apparently not. Ive been drying the steaks as good as I can before putting them in the pan but it doesnt seem to be working well for me.

What am I doing wrong? Ive been using canola oil to start the sear and then adding butter and basting as I sear, and Im getting the pan hot enough to make the oil spread and smoke the second it hits the pan.
How long do you have them in the cast iron for? Maybe take them out of the sous vide a little earlier, but yea cast irons can get smoking hot. They’re tricky. 

I can't imagine a pan being too hot to sear, more likely is your steak has too much surface moisture for the size of your pan and you end up steaming the steak before the moisture evaporates and searing begins.

First I would consider a wider diameter pan, preferably with lower sides.  The smaller and taller it is the more moisture will collect around whatever you are cooking. 

A small diameter pan is fine, I typically use an 8" for a single steak and a 10"-12" for two or more. But first you can, and should, rest your steaks for maybe 5 minutes when going from the water bath to the pan.  Then pat them dry too with a paper towel, salting is optional to your preference (I typically use a little), you should use a high heat oil, avocado is my preferred choice but ghee will work as well (as will safflower, sunflower and a few others) if you get your pan to 450 degrees 45 seconds will work every single time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also you really shouldn't go over 450-500 degrees when searing anything as there are very few oils that stand up to that kind of heat. If your pan is too hot for your oil it will immediately hit it's smoke point turning rancid and creating a ton of carcinogens and probably impart a bitter flavor to your protein.  You don't want your oil to smoke.

I have a good sized cast iron pan, I don't think the issue is steaming, and I sear one steak at a time unless they're filets

I usually do rest the steaks while the pan is heating up, and I get them as dry as possible.

Doing filets tonight, gonna grab some avocado oil and give that a try. I'll report back with the results later.

Try putting the cast iron pan in the oven first with the temp all the way up for 15 minutes or so then move it directly to a burner on as high as it can go. The oven will get the pan to a more even temperature than just a burner alone.

It will be HOT so use a thick towel or welding gloves or something.

I have a good sized cast iron pan, I don't think the issue is steaming, and I sear one steak at a time unless they're filets

I usually do rest the steaks while the pan is heating up, and I get them as dry as possible.

Doing filets tonight, gonna grab some avocado oil and give that a try. I'll report back with the results later.
Soulds like you're not seasoning the steaks, simple salt/pepper will add to the sear or you can use a blackening season.

You need something on the steaks when they hit the heat

Also you really shouldn't go over 450-500 degrees when searing anything as there are very few oils that stand up to that kind of heat. If your pan is too hot for your oil it will immediately hit it's smoke point turning rancid and creating a ton of carcinogens and probably impart a bitter flavor to your protein.  You don't want your oil to smoke.
Team Peanut Oil here.  High smoke point.

Are you seasoning your cast iron after every use?

Soulds like you're not seasoning the steaks, simple salt/pepper will add to the sear or you can use a blackening season.

You need something on the steaks when they hit the heat
Yep Im seasoning the steaks.

Are you seasoning your cast iron after every use?
IDK, thats the womans job, its her pan. Thats prob the problem. Ive had stuff stick to the pan before when Ive cooked with it (Im not a fan of cast iron so I dont use it much). Ill look into it.

Yep Im seasoning the steaks.

IDK, thats the womans job, its her pan. Thats prob the problem. Ive had stuff stick to the pan before when Ive cooked with it (Im not a fan of cast iron so I dont use it much). Ill look into it.
If you're going to buy cast iron and use it, you should probably follow the instructions that come with it.  Otherwise, you're misusing it.  Clean it gently after using, preheat your oven to 300, pour a little oil in the pan, wipe it evenly all over with a paper towel, when the oven reaches 300, put the skillet inside and shut off the oven.  Some people will even use a little kosher rock or sea salt with the oil to rub on there.  Treat cast iron right, it'll treat you right and last a lifetime.  :hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread