What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

85 degree days, 60 degree nights, no humidity... (2 Viewers)

California: best weather, most beautiful coastline, one of largest economies in the world, not to mention beaches and skiing, beautiful women, and incredible state parks.  All of that is enough to outweigh all the other stuff that sucks about California. Everyone else is playing for second, and that includes my current home state of Texas. 
Would you rather live in Sacramento or Houston? 

California: best weather, most beautiful coastline, one of largest economies in the world, not to mention beaches and skiing, beautiful women, and incredible state parks.  All of that is enough to outweigh all the other stuff that sucks about California. Everyone else is playing for second, and that includes my current home state of Texas. 
Hawaii has something to say about best weather, coastline, women and beaches. But CA is pretty awesome, too.

TX, on the other hand, belongs nowhere in the conversation.

Hawaii has something to say about best weather, coastline, women and beaches. But CA is pretty awesome, too.

TX, on the other hand, belongs nowhere in the conversation.
You live in Hawaii right?  I’ve lived there as well and have about a thousand relatives there. Per capita, the women aren’t even close to California's offerings. You know this. And I think California’s coastline overall blows away Hawaii's, though Hawaii’s beaches certainly win out. As far as weather, I guess that’s personal taste. I like that California not only offers temperate and sunny weather, but can also offer low humidity and snow skiing in the winter. While there are certainly crappy places in California as GM observes above, it’s that California offers so many awesome places that are incredibly diverse that makes it special. 

By the way, I’d probably put Hawaii at #2. 

I like snow and dont mind shoveling. NYC humidity in the summer sucks though. Looking forward to moving to Boise in the next few years. I've lived my whole life in Queens and the change will be great.

Having lived in both, I’d say Houston. But I’d rather live in Corona Del Mar, or San Diego, or Malibu, or Santa Monica, than any city in Texas. Other than the fact that I’m not filthy rich that is. 
I'd take all those too, but I couldn't afford to be a bum there. 

I have California #2 behind Oregon (everybody talks their book) with Hawaii (Maui, Kauai you can have Honolulu) 3, Texas 4 and I dunno on 5. I'd like to spend more time in Colorado.  Maine is great but I've never been there in winter.  Washington is too similar to Oregon to put in my top 5 but I like Seattle quite a bit.

I have California #2 behind Oregon (everybody talks their book) with Hawaii (Maui, Kauai you can have Honolulu) 3, Texas 4 and I dunno on 5. I'd like to spend more time in Colorado.  Maine is great but I've never been there in winter.  Washington is too similar to Oregon to put in my top 5 but I like Seattle quite a bit.
Winter in the northeast is especially rough due to a more sparse population and types of roads - a lot of 2 lanes through the hills in the woods. Both noreasters and canadian storms can cause quite a bit of havoc. 

80 today, just played 18 and now sitting in the sun at lagunitas enjoying a beer and some live music before heading home.

Hoo boy. I know ignorance is bliss, but you might want to check an almanac before you relocate. 
No danger of that. I sold off all the shares I had in an island on Sebago and with that, I'm done with Maine for good.  Plenty of fond memories but I'd like to make some new ones elsewhere. 

Wife is from Michigan and we've gone there in Dec/Jan a few times.  It's brutal.  I can't imagine enduring an entire winter there.  I won't go with her anymore in the winter unless it's an emergency.  

I had the pleasure of going to Fairbanks in the winter. Was not prepared for that.  The thin London Fog I wore froze before I could make it to the rental counter.  Coldest I've ever been. 

I'll take Roseville (a suburb of Sacramento) over Houston.
Sacramento downtown in my short trip has been pretty nice. Very clean, rented some Uber bikes and road all around. Lots of cool spots. But did I mention it was a 100. #### that ####! 

Oregon / Washington comp!

Seattle vs Portland a push

Oregon coast > Washington Coast

Washington mountains > Oregon mountains

Washington wine > Oregon wine

Oregon beer > Washington beer

Bend is a good tiebreaker but we have the San Juan’s, Puget Sound. 

Tough call. 

I think the shark move here is to move near the border of a bunch of states. That way you can sample the occasional awesomeness of each area without ever being stuck in one hellhole too long.

Tough call. 
Seattle has quite a bit more to do, especially on the water.  

I've not spent any time on the mountains of Washington and regrettably have not been to the San Juan's.  I need to change that.

I think Washington's white wines and Syrahs are terrific, but Oregon's Pinot Noirs have Washington beat, IMO.  But I'm not nearly proficient enough in wine to offer an educated opinion.  I like what I like, though.  Wine tasting in the Willamette Valley is tremendous; does Washington have something like that?  I haven't been back to Walla Walla since 98 but I've heard it's terrific now for wine enthusiasts.  Can't imagine it's prettier than the WV, however. 

You guys also have baseball.

Seattle has quite a bit more to do, especially on the water.  

I've not spent any time on the mountains of Washington and regrettably have not been to the San Juan's.  I need to change that.

I think Washington's white wines and Syrahs are terrific, but Oregon's Pinot Noirs have Washington beat, IMO.  But I'm not nearly proficient enough in wine to offer an educated opinion.  I like what I like, though.  Wine tasting in the Willamette Valley is tremendous; does Washington have something like that?  I haven't been back to Walla Walla since 98 but I've heard it's terrific now for wine enthusiasts.  Can't imagine it's prettier than the WV, however. 

You guys also have baseball.
San Juan’s are like another world. Really chill. Rent a house and take the family kind of place. 

Walla Walla is great. Poor man’s Napa (ok that’s a stretch but it is very nice and they have good Reds, good food, very accessible). If you just want to sample the wine next time you are up Woodinville about 30 mins NW of Seattle has hundreds of tasting rooms for the Walla Walla wine makers. Great time. 

And then there’s the poor Mariners. They try hard. Stadium is nice! 

All in all I’ll put up WA/OR/Idaho combo against any 3 states. 

Oregon / Washington comp!  I was born and lived in Seattle for 26 years, so I'm biased, but

Seattle vs Portland a push A few years ago I would've given Portland the nod but with recent visits I'll agree with the push

Oregon coast > Washington Coast No brainer here...OR

Washington mountains > Oregon mountains Another no brainer--WA

Washington wine > Oregon wine Really depends on your taste in wine but I much prefer the big reds of WA to the OR pinot's--WA

Oregon beer > Washington beer Another no brainer--OR

Bend is a good tiebreaker but we have the San Juan’s, Puget Sound. I'll take the San Juans over Bend every day of the year--WA

Tough call. Both states are great but I'll take WA--3-2-1 based on your comps.  There are also professional football and baseball teams in WA, not OR. Professional basketball in OR not WA(absolute sham--Sonicsgate). Advantage WA.  And then there is the matter of the Oregon Ducks...advantage WA  ;)

I'll take Roseville (a suburb of Sacramento) over Houston.
There are some really great parts of Sacramento.  None of these cities are monolithic.  It really depends on the neighborhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oregon / Washington comp!  I was born and lived in Seattle for 26 years, so I'm biased, but

Seattle vs Portland a push A few years ago I would've given Portland the nod but with recent visits I'll agree with the push

Oregon coast > Washington Coast No brainer here...OR

Washington mountains > Oregon mountains Another no brainer--WA

Washington wine > Oregon wine Really depends on your taste in wine but I much prefer the big reds of WA to the OR pinot's--WA

Oregon beer > Washington beer Another no brainer--OR

Bend is a good tiebreaker but we have the San Juan’s, Puget Sound. I'll take the San Juans over Bend every day of the year--WA

Tough call. Both states are great but I'll take WA--3-2-1 based on your comps.  There are also professional football and baseball teams in WA, not OR. Professional basketball in OR not WA(absolute sham--Sonicsgate). Advantage WA.  And then there is the matter of the Oregon Ducks...advantage WA  ;) 
We are simpatico.

I didn’t even mention WA has a temperate rain forest....+1!

Tough call. 
Doesn’t Cali win in all of these categories except beer?

Walla Walla is great. Poor man’s Napa (ok that’s a stretch but it is very nice and they have good Reds, good food, very accessible). If you just want to sample the wine next time you are up Woodinville about 30 mins NW of Seattle has hundreds of tasting rooms for the Walla Walla wine makers. Great time.
Walla Walla IS a poor man's Napa because you can visit the region very inexpensively and buy a lot of great wine at half the cost of Napa.

I went to college there in the late 80's when there were 3 wineries.  There are now 150+.  The town has accepted it's new found export and has adjusted accordingly.

Our reunion trips are now 2-3 days longer for this very reason.  🍷

Washington, Oregon mountains far better. 

Accessibility better in WA. I mean I like a Napa Cab and all but 50 dollar tasting fees G T F O.

Hard to argue with the Cali coast.
you might have to rethink that cali mountain bit.  lake tahoe.  yosemite.  sequioas.  

Walla Walla IS a poor man's Napa because you can visit the region very inexpensively and buy a lot of great wine at half the cost of Napa.

I went to college there in the late 80's when there were 3 wineries.  There are now 150+.  The town has accepted it's new found export and has adjusted accordingly.

Our reunion trips are now 2-3 days longer for this very reason.  🍷
Love the Walla Walla and they do make some great wine. The cost is a huge thing as well. You are paying for that Napa Red. Like my first car type payment. Really hard to compete with Napa though that area is pretty much like heaven I think. 

Love my L’ecole, Woodward Canyon, and Mark Ryan. Let me know your spots if you wouldn’t mind. Making a trip out there in October. 

San Juan’s are like another world. Really chill. Rent a house and take the family kind of place. 

And then there’s the poor Mariners. They try hard. Stadium is nice! 

All in all I’ll put up WA/OR/Idaho combo against any 3 states. 
I'll hit you up on the San Juan's. My parents went a few times and loved it.  I'd like to take the family but my wife makes us go to Michigan every summer.  That's 7 plane tickets x $450+ :hot:

Not that I'm bitter or anything...

Woodinville is just okay for me.  I'd much prefer the gorgeous views and myriad vineyards on the Chehalem Mountain than the hustle bustle of Woodenville.  Dozens of less trafficked hidden gems in the Willamette Valley that are 20-30 minutes from my house.  Far prettier to sit outside and gaze at Mt. Hood with a bottle of wine, bread and cheese  than it is elbowing for room in Woodinville.  I've gone a few times, meh.  Give me elevation, pinots and sightline to hawks riding the thermals. 

It's a 5-6 hour drive to Walla Walla...turn right at the state prison!  I'll go one day, but it sucked donkey balls in the 90s when I went there for work. 

Been to numerous Mariner games.  Great fun, but must suck having the worst team in all of professional sports to cheer on.  Longest playoff drought in all sports, no titles, no immediate visibility to improvement.  Sucks.  

Oregon Ducks lack the national title Washington has to share with Georgia Tech (I think) nearly 30 years ago, but the Ducks have owned Washington since 2000, played for two national titles and will beat UW again this fall for the 15th time in 17 years.  :football:

I'll hit you up on the San Juan's. My parents went a few times and loved it.  I'd like to take the family but my wife makes us go to Michigan every summer.  That's 7 plane tickets x $450+ :hot:

Not that I'm bitter or anything...

Woodinville is just okay for me.  I'd much prefer the gorgeous views and myriad vineyards on the Chehalem Mountain than the hustle bustle of Woodenville.  Dozens of less trafficked hidden gems in the Willamette Valley that are 20-30 minutes from my house.  Far prettier to sit outside and gaze at Mt. Hood with a bottle of wine, bread and cheese  than it is elbowing for room in Woodinville.  I've gone a few times, meh.  Give me elevation, pinots and sightline to hawks riding the thermals. 

It's a 5-6 hour drive to Walla Walla...turn right at the state prison!  I'll go one day, but it sucked donkey balls in the 90s when I went there for work. 

Been to numerous Mariner games.  Great fun, but must suck having the worst team in all of professional sports to cheer on.  Longest playoff drought in all sports, no titles, no immediate visibility to improvement.  Sucks.  

Oregon Ducks lack the national title Washington has to share with Georgia Tech (I think) nearly 30 years ago, but the Ducks have owned Washington since 2000, played for two national titles and will beat UW again this fall for the 15th time in 17 years.  :football:
Be happy to answer anything in San Juan’s I’m definitely no expert but have been out there a dozen times or so. It’s pretty much a collection of small towns that have the advantage of being on islands in Puget Sound connected by ferry’s. 

Oh yeah Woodinville is not much to look at, just good for the easy access to all the wines. 

Next time I’m down in Portland I’ll hit you up for some local expertise on Willamette area. Haven’t been there for years. 

all gorgeous!  just not, far better. ;)  
Splitting some hairs here both epic but the variety of mountains in Washington is tough to match: Temperate rainforest adjacent to the ocean with Olympics, majestic Mount Rainier, North Cascades that are like mini versions of the Alps, St. Helens for some other worldly stuff. All around a few hours from Seattle. 

Last edited by a moderator:

You will love Walla Walla.  Well worth the drive.

Better to have a bad team than no team at all.....take that from a Supersonics fan.

And.....as for UW-UO.  UW shared the national title with Miami, not Ga Tech in '91 and do actually have a national title, unlike UO.  And, if you're going to pick random stretches of years to compare, how about UW 2-1 in the past 3 years outscoring Oregon 138-51.  Or UW 23-21 over the past 44 years.  Or UW 60-46-5 over the past 111 years?  ;)    

I look forward to this year's game in Seattle.  Apparently Oregon is the front-runner for the Pac 12 this season so this should be a great game.  I'm going to travel to that one.

You will love Walla Walla.  Well worth the drive.

Better to have a bad team than no team at all.....take that from a Supersonics fan.

And.....as for UW-UO.  UW shared the national title with Miami, not Ga Tech in '91 and do actually have a national title, unlike UO.  And, if you're going to pick random stretches of years to compare, how about UW 2-1 in the past 3 years outscoring Oregon 138-51.  Or UW 23-21 over the past 44 years.  Or UW 60-46-5 over the past 111 years?  ;)    

I look forward to this year's game in Seattle.  Apparently Oregon is the front-runner for the Pac 12 this season so this should be a great game.  I'm going to travel to that one.
Want me to tally up the score from '04 to '15?  Be happy to do that.  ;)

Recency bias aside, I might head up to that game too.  Be great to watch Oregon build off last year's win and start another dominant streak vs the Montlake Doges.  Be great to grab a >4.8 beer or two before the game. 

Want me to tally up the score from '04 to '15?  Be happy to do that.  ;)

Recency bias aside, I might head up to that game too.  Be great to watch Oregon build off last year's win and start another dominant streak vs the Montlake Doges.  Be great to grab a >4.8 beer or two before the game. 
Don't bother, I already did that math.

Given their current coaching and recruiting situations, I don't expect a dominant run from either team vs. the other in the near future.  Just the way it should be.  Home team should win most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread