What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

active shooter Cascade Mall Burlington, WA (1 Viewer)

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised how little press this is getting.
Guessing there's nothing left to report for the moment. Until then we just have to sit back and endure the over the top biased speculation we expect that's typically dripping with political partisanship. Fun for some. Annoying for others. Meh for the majority.

Guessing the eye many witnesses were a better gauge of that than the fuzzy picture from the weird angle on the intergoogle. 

Further guessing you already know this, so what's your real point?

EDIT: Apologies. I shouldn't be coy. You're fishing for racist profiling. Good luck with that. 
At the press conference the police chief was asked if they are using the video or eyewitnesses to identify the shooter he said they are primarily using the video.

timschochet said:
Is it just me or has this forum become inundated with some real #######s in the last few days? Worse than I can ever remember. 
I think it's probably just one or two people and a lot of aliases - one is blue magic, etc.

That we've begun to score political points off of stuff like this and that we forget the horror of the dead is getting sickening to me. Just a thought. 

Guessing I live closest to Cascade Mall of guys that post here. About 15 miles north of it. Wife drives by it every day on way to work. A bit surreal. I was there last weekend. No updates to post. Nice to see the usual suspects are polluting this thread with their own brand of stupid. 
Glad you are OK GB. 

Hooper31 said:
Guessing the eye many witnesses were a better gauge of that than the fuzzy picture from the weird angle on the intergoogle. 

Further guessing you already know this, so what's your real point?

EDIT: Apologies. I shouldn't be coy. You're fishing for racist profiling. Good luck with that. 
Huh.

I said he didn't look Hispanic.  I live in a city that is 50% Hispanic so I should know what they look like. 
I've gotta stick up for cstu. I don't think he was doing that. He's pretty consistently against that. Tia. 

-RA

some on twitter are saying that his ex-girlfriend are among the victims...so was most likely revenge. 

very sad

I said he didn't look Hispanic.  I live in a city that is 50% Hispanic so I should know what they look like. 
You have no idea what he looked like from looking at that picture. Oddly enough Mount Vernon and Burlington are nearly 50% hispanic. Go figure. Of course I would know this. I live here. 

You kill me. I can take the hard core conservatives that act like morons. No sweat. I expect them to. That said, the idiots on my own side of the political spectrum are the ones that annoy me the most. I'm a liberal and don't have a problem saying it. I hate it when I see liberals make the rest of my side look like dolts. 

RACIAL PROFILING!!!! 

You have no idea what he looked like from looking at that picture. Oddly enough Mount Vernon and Burlington are nearly 50% hispanic. Go figure. Of course I would know this. I live here. 

You kill me. I can take the hard core conservatives that act like morons. No sweat. I expect them to. That said, the idiots on my own side of the political spectrum are the ones that annoy me the most. I'm a liberal and don't have a problem saying it. I hate it when I see liberals make the rest of my side look like dolts. 

RACIAL PROFILING!!!! 
Don't take this the wrong way, but your obsession over this kinda makes you look like the racist here.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your obsession over this kinda makes you look like the racist here.
I can live with you passing that sort of judgment on me based on a few sentences on the intergoogle. Best to you and yours. 
Dude, you went off on someone who offered an opinion that disagreed with your preconceived notion that a shooter was Hispanic. Stop and think about why that fact was so important for you to obsess over.

Dude, you went off on someone who offered an opinion that disagreed with your preconceived notion that a shooter was Hispanic. Stop and think about why that fact was so important for you to obsess over.
I didn't say he was hispanic. I had no idea. The idea that anyone could look at that picture and make a judgment was silly. 

Why do people use words like obsess? Because I typed a few sentences? Does it strengthen your resolve if you can somehow attached a negative emotion to someone else?

Why do people use words like obsess? Because I typed a few sentences? Does it strengthen your resolve if you can somehow attached a negative emotion to someone else?
I don't know why "people" use words like obsess, but I know why I use it. And I don't use it very often.

I have no idea why it was so important to you for the shooter to be Hispanic, but you are definitely obsessed with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea why it was so important to you for the shooter to be Hispanic, but you are definitely obsessed with it.
My apologies. I wasn't clear when I put it in my last post. I'll type it again. I didn't say he was hispanic. I had no idea. The idea that anyone could look at that picture and make a judgment was silly. If you took one of my posts to mean that I thought he was hispanic I gave you the wrong idea. I think anyone attempting to make that sort of determination based on that pic is showing a bias. I hope that clears it up. If not, feel free to have the last word. 

Media covering up the fact that he's not just Hispanic, but an illegal Mexican immigrant.    Everyone knows there aren't any Muslims in the Skagit Valley.

10:21 p.m. (last night)

Authorities say the suspect in the deadly Washington mall shooting had a previous arrest for simple assault and had immigrated from Turkey.

At a news conference Saturday night, Lt. Chris Cammock of the Mount Vernon Police Department said 20-year-old Arcan Cetin was a "legal, permanent resident of the United States."

Cetin was apprehended in Oak Harbor, Washington, about 6:30 p.m. Saturday.

Island County Sheriff's Lt. Mike Hawley said at the news conference that Cetin had been arrested for simple assault last year. No other details were provided.

Initially the suspect was described as Hispanic, but Hawley said that was based on initial witness statements to the Friday night shooting at a mall in Burlington, Washington. Five people were slain.

Cetin is expected to appear in court on Monday.
Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article103918406.html#storylink=cpy

11:18 p.m. (last night)

The suspect in the Washington state mall shooting has a criminal record that includes domestic-violence assault charges.

The Seattle Times reports (http://bit.ly/2cWhxJY ) that Skagit County court records show three such charges for 20-year-old Arcan Cetin in both Burlington, Washington, and Island County, with the victim identified as Cetin's stepfather. The newspaper reports Cetin also was arrested for drunken driving.

Court records show Cetin was told by a judge on Dec. 29 that he was not to possess a firearm, the newspaper reported.

However, the stepfather urged the judge not to impose a no-contact order, saying his stepson was "going through a hard time."

Media covering up the fact that he's not just Hispanic, but an illegal Mexican immigrant.    Everyone knows there aren't any Muslims in the Skagit Valley.
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. I'm trying to follow this closely and every media outlet I've looked at has been clear on who he is and where he's from now that he's been arrested. Sounds like he was working/living down in Oak Harbor where they found him. 

Hooper31 and cstu are both okay in this situation, IMO. I think they just misunderstood each other. But five people are dead. Let's not forget that. For whatever reason, we had a shooter at a mall, and it sucks.   

Hooper31 and cstu are both okay in this situation, IMO. I think they just misunderstood each other. 
One thing I've learned from dealing with message boards since 1993 (anyone else remember USENET?) is that the written word online will always be read with the worst possible tone and intention. I'm guilty of that too. 

One thing I've learned from dealing with message boards since 1993 (anyone else remember USENET?) is that the written word online will always be read with the worst possible tone and intention. I'm guilty of that too. 
Heck, I remember CompuServe. Anyway, everyone is guilty. People want to be here for the most part; it's just a lot of stuff is either left unsaid or misunderstood. The clarity (and this is ironic coming from me) is so important to the other receiving end. You guys probably agree about profiling. I've been around enough to know. cstu is not a Trumpnik, nor a guy who would ever support profiling (he has a Muslim wife). 

That's the best I can do. Anyway, it's a tragedy. People out for the day at a mall should not be dead. Ever. 

Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever. It hurts me to write this stuff.  

Apparently because I like Hispanics (regardless of legal status) and my wife and in-laws are Muslims.  I have no problem with anybody, just literally didn't think the guy looked Hispanic as the media was reporting. 

Wish I had better news to share. Of course we all want to know "why", but the little bit of information that's coming out is a bit disturbing. Sounds like it was just a thing to do. Total psychopath that had no feeling for other human life. Dude was very into first person shooter games and just wanted to give it a wing. 

Users who are viewing this thread