What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Age and IDPs. (1 Viewer)

Pick

Footballguy
When comparing IDPs to each other, how much of a factor is age?

Last edited by a moderator:
When comparing IDPs to each other, how much of a factor is age?
My brief answer would be that it's entirely dependent on whether you're in a dynasty or redraft league. In a redraft league, I'd take the best player according to talent and opportunity, regardless of age. In dynasty leagues, I lean a little bit toward the younger player if the talent is there and opporunity is likely. But, in my mind, age is often overrated on both sides of the ball in dynasty leagues.

I'll trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a London Fletcher type player every year if the alternative is taking a chance on a second tier youngster like Tatupu or Morrison. You may be wrong from time to time, but if you're getting an established player that can reasonably be expected to continue to produce for another year or two you do it.

I worry most about the age of a player who's been slowed by nagging injuries in recent years. For example, I'd be a bit nervous about guys like Strahan and Sharper, who despite still approaching stud production when they're close to 100%, seem to be getting dinged more and more severely with each passing week. On the other hand, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, and Fletcher seem to be holding up reasonably well and ought to be decent risks moving forward.

I thought it would be obvious this was concerning dynasty leagues but it isn't. Good point.

I'd also say it depends on the state of your team. If you're currently a title contender, age isn't as important. But if your team stinks, you may want to stockpile younger players with upside.

I'm starting to think that it's not very important at all. IDPs have so many things that can kill their value that getting the guy who'll be best THIS year is starting to look smarter and smarter to me. There's a big enough pool of players that if you're quick on the waiver wire and offseason acquisitions, you can pick up next year's solid player every year.

I'm starting to think that it's not very important at all. IDPs have so many things that can kill their value that getting the guy who'll be best THIS year is starting to look smarter and smarter to me. There's a big enough pool of players that if you're quick on the waiver wire and offseason acquisitions, you can pick up next year's solid player every year.
I'm starting to think this way, too. I used to look at the age of IDPs but the more I've looked into it, the more it seems that age is not a viable factor. Some guys take awhile to catch on, some guys don't. Some flame out early, some last forever. Some guys just need an opportunity.To a lesser extent I think experience is an overrated factor as well.

Pick up the guy whose out there getting the points now.

Users who are viewing this thread