What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All-Time NBA Draft - Best In Show Championship (Scoobus vs Higgins) (1 Viewer)

Scoobus (2000s) vs Higgins (1970s)

• Scoobus (2000s) - Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Bruce Bowen, Kevin Garnett, Shaquille O'Neal

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • Higgins (1970s) - John Lucas, Gus Williams, Julius Erving, Elvin Hayes, Artis Gilmore

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
I don’t know enough about 70s players to have a really good write-up. I think my front court has an edge, Bowen does what he can to limit Dr. J, and my backcourt has a big edge.

Yeah, intrigued to hear how @higgins wants to make an argument for his team before i make a vote. He had a good argument against my team, and he will need a bigger one for this one. I think my team had the edge better over Scoobus' did, but could be wrong. 

ETA: also think if it did come own to Scoobus vs my team i would have likely lost. i would have definitely bet the over in that game since my backcourt would be very dominant but his front court could do what it wanted likely against DC and LJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, intrigued to hear how @higgins wants to make an argument for his team before i make a vote. He had a good argument against my team, and he will need a bigger one for this one. I think my team had the edge better over Scoobus' did, but could be wrong. 

ETA: also think if it did come own to Scoobus vs my team i would have likely lost. i would have definitely bet the over in that game since my backcourt would be very dominant but his front court could do what it wanted likely against DC and LJ
I don't have an argument in this case (his team is too well balanced w/ greats) -- I could spew some random rationales out there but my backcourt falls to his while my frontcourt isn't nearly as dominant as they were against your team.

As a matter of fact, I just now voted for him....

I don’t know enough about 70s players to have a really good write-up. I think my front court has an edge, Bowen does what he can to limit Dr. J, and my backcourt has a big edge.
Wrong -- my front-court has an edge across the board in points, rebounds and blocked shots -- remember, our guidance is to rate as to what they've done. All you need to do is check out basketball reference for the career stats I just mentioned.

My team's problem is that my front-court edge doesn't come close to closing the chasm of differences between our back-court ratings.

Wrong -- my front-court has an edge across the board in points, rebounds and blocked shots -- remember, our guidance is to rate as to what they've done. All you need to do is check out basketball reference for the career stats I just mentioned.

My team's problem is that my front-court edge doesn't come close to closing the chasm of differences between our back-court ratings.
I’d take both Shaq over Gilmore and KG over Hayes.

ETA: Clarifying because I don’t think I explained it well initially, I meant that I think Shaq/KG has the edge over Gilmore/Hayes, I wasn’t including Dr. J.  Dr. J obviously >>>>>>>>>>>> Bowen.

I’d take both Shaq over Gilmore and KG over Hayes.

ETA: Clarifying... <-- understood
And you're welcome to....

Remember, yo mama wanted us to judge according to how they've actually done. And career rankings-wise:

- Points -- Shaq has a teensy edge in pts over Elvin (enter Dr. J as #8 in pts)

- Rebounds -- Artis and Elvin are #5 and #6 in rebounds

- Blocks -- Artis is #4 in blocks

- SF -- I understood what you meant in your edit. If we include the Dr in the career rankings, it's all over -- above ranks only include Arts/Elvin.

Please keep in mind that with recency bias, media coverage, etc. it's no contest in your favor. But if we include what they've actually done, I'll take my front court.... with Dr J.

Yeah, I guess we’ll just agree to disagree then, at least on the Shaq/KG vs Gilmore/Hayes debate. I don’t think adding up total stats is the best way to decide players, especially those from different eras. Using awards, all-nba/defensive teams, mvp shares, etc. seems like a better metric, although nothing will be perfect. I just think you’d be hard pressed to find people who would take Hayes over KG, and especially not Gilmore over Shaq. 

But I’ve never actually seen these players play, so obviously my argument is limited and I’ll defer to those who have. And your team is clearly still awesome.

Yeah, I guess we’ll just agree to disagree then, at least on the Shaq/KG vs Gilmore/Hayes debate. I don’t think adding up total stats is the best way to decide players, especially those from different eras. Using awards, all-nba/defensive teams, mvp shares, etc. seems like a better metric, although nothing will be perfect. I just think you’d be hard pressed to find people who would take Hayes over KG, and especially not Gilmore over Shaq. 

But I’ve never actually seen these players play, so obviously my argument is limited and I’ll defer to those who have. And your team is clearly still awesome.
(1) I wouldn't take Gilmore over Shaq either. I would however take Elvin over KG (he's all-time #12 in pts & #6 in rebounds for legitimate reasons). I'd definitely take my entire front court (including SF) over yours.

(2) There is no way I'd choose all-defensive teams, etc. over career stats. Wanna know what's happened in the past when all-time players/teams were decided by a hodge podge of various groups? On 4 occasions, the Defensive Player of the Year was not even included in the all-defensive team:    Marc Gasol in 2013, Tyson Chandler in 2012, Dikembe Mutombo in 1995, and Alvin Robertson in 1986. Career/season stats give the complete picture....

Good convo.... :hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread