What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Horror Story: Apocalypse (season 8) (1 Viewer)

jiffy

Footballguy
Season 8 starts tonight...

https://www.tvguide.com/news/american-horror-story-murder-house-coven-where-we-left-off/

American Horror Story fans are in for a special treat this season when Apocalypse premieres. The long-awaited crossover season between Murder House (Season 1) and Coven (Season 3) debuts next week and will feature some of your favorite stars reprising their most iconic American Horror Story roles.

As if the title wasn't clear enough, Apocalypse will feature the Coven and Murder House characters facing down the actual end of the world as we know it. The events of the new season will take place in the near future (it's expected to begin in or around the fall of 2019), which raises all sorts of questions about how this storyline will match up with the sprawling AHS universe timeline.

In case you have forgotten and really, who would blame you? the majority of Murder House took place in 2011, with the final scene featuring Michael Langdon flashing forward to 2014. Coven, meanwhile, largely took place in 2014. So basically, the events of Apocalypse will take place approximately eight years after the main events of Murder House wrapped up and five years after Coven, which means a lot has probably changed for these guys since we last saw them.

So far, we haven't been given many details about what's next for our Coven and Murder House faves. But before you begin speculating on the future, it's important to get a good grip on the past. So in anticipation of Apocalypse's premiere, here's where every Murder House and Coven character left off AND what we know about any and all potential returns.

MURDER HOUSE

Vivien: Vivien died giving birth to twins, one of whom also died. But Vivien was reunited with her deceased son Jeffery in the afterlife.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! Connie Britton will return to AHS for the first time since Murder House.

Ben: Ben was hung by some of the Murder House ghosts when he attempted to flee after Vivien's death. However, as a ghost he was able to find a happiness with Vivien and Violet that avoided him in life.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! Dylan McDermott will return to AHS for the first time since Asylum.

Violet: After Violet learned she had died by suicide, she discovered the truth about Tate and ended her relationship with him.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! Everyone's favorite moody teen, played by Taissa Farmiga, will be back at long last.

Constance: With Ben and Vivien both dead, Constance adopted their newborn son Michael.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! Jessica Lange will return to AHS for the first time since Freak Show, but sadly she will only appear in the sixth episode of the season.

Tate: Still madly in love with Violet, Tate vowed to wait forever for her to forgive him.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! Evan Peters will reprise his role as everyone's problematic fave.

Addie: Dead after being hit by a car on Halloween.
Apocalypse status: Unlikely. There hasn't been any news of Jamie Brewer joining the cast of Apocalypse yet, and Addy's story was wrapped up neatly in Murder House.

Michael: Vivien's surviving baby was adopted by Constance and raised as a Langdon, but his evil tendencies began to show around the age of 3 when he killed Constance's housekeeper.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! Versace breakout Cody Fern will play the grown version of the Antichrist.

Hayden: Hayden had attempted to keep Michael as her own, but was thwarted by Constance and Travis.
Apocalypse status: Unknown. Kate Mara has continued her working relationship with Ryan Murphy (she stars in Pose) but there hasn't been a peep about her back on the AHS set. However, Murphy shared a pic of Emma Roberts posing with what may be Hayden's bones, so there is a chance Apocalypse could see her return.

Moira: Moira was welcomed into the Harmon family, taking on the honor of being Jeffery's godmother.
Apocalypse status: Highly likely. Frances Conroy will be starring in Apocalypse so we bet she'll be donning her maid's uniform once more.

Larry: Ready to do penance for his other bad deeds, Larry falsely confessed to killing Travis and was sent to jail in Illinois.
Apocalypse status: Unlikely. Denis O'Hare hasn't been announced as part of the Apocalypse cast, so don't expect more Larry.

Billie Dean: Since her humble origins advising Constance and Vivien in Murder House, Billie Dean became a media sensation, as seen in Hotel.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! The psychic is one of the three roles Sarah Paulson will be playing. However, it's not clear yet where her fame level will be when Apocalypse picks up. When she filmed her Devil's Night dinner in Hotel, it was 2022. Apocalypse is expected to take place in 2019, so she might not quite be the celebrity psychic we last saw her as. But maybe the events of Apocalypse are what leads to her fame!

Chad, Nora and all the other Murder House residents: Trapped in the Murder House for all eternity, helping the Harmons keep new families away through creative hauntings.
Apocalypse status: Who knows! There are little over two dozen ghosts living in the Murder House, and as of now we don't really know which of the supporting spirits will make an appearance. Lily Rabe is confirmed to be back for Apocalypse so there's a good chance we'll see Nora Montgomery again, but everyone else is pretty up in the air.

COVEN

Cordelia: Cordelia was named the Supreme and went public about the existence of witches, opening the doors of Mrs. Robichaux's to a hoard of new students.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! In addition to Billie Dean and a third character known now only as Venable Sarah Paulson will reprise her role as the Coven's leader.

Zoe: Zoe is appointed to Cordelia's council and pledges to help her run the Academy.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed. Taissa Farmiga will be reprising her Coven role in addition to playing Violet.

Myrtle: Myrtle insisted on being burnt at the stake as punishment for killing her fellow Council members Cecily and Quentin.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! Somehow Myrtle (Conroy) will rise from the grave yet again based on a photo of her back in her Coven costume.

Kyle: Kyle took over for Spalding as the Robichaux butler.
Apocalypse status: Highly likely. Although this hasn't explicitly been confirmed yet, just like we can't imagine Violet without Tate, we can't imagine Zoe without Kyle.

Misty: During the Seven Wonders, Misty got stuck in her own personal hell: dissecting a frog in a middle school science class.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! We don't know how or why Misty (Rabe) got resurrected, but she'll reunite with her idol Stevie Nicks soon enough. (And yes, Stevie Nicks is returning too.)

Madison: Kyle strangled her to death as revenge for refusing to revive Zoe during the Seven Wonders.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! Emma Roberts' highly meme-able character Madison Montgomery will be back to cause trouble (and even visit the Murder House!) this season.

Spalding: Spalding was last seen helping Kyle dispose of Madison's body. But, Spalding might just have kept her corpse to play with as a doll again, but we'd really rather not be reminded of that horrific storyline.
Apocalypse status: Unlikely. No Denis O'Hare, no Spalding. But really will anyone even miss this creepy character?

Delphine: Delphine was killed by Queenie and sent straight to hell where she was destined to be tortured by Marie for all eternity.
Apocalypse status: Unlikely. Kathy Bates is returning for Apocalypse and as of now is only announced to be playing a new character, Ms. Meade.

Marie: Marie was killed after Delphine dismembered her, rendering her unable to fulfill her end of the bargain with Papa Legba that had granted her immortality. She was then sent to hell, which found her being forced to torture Delphine and her daughters forever.
Apocalypse status: It's possible! Angela Bassett has expressed interest in appearing in the crossover season, but nothing has been confirmed and she's busy starring in Ryan Murphy's first responders procedural 9-1-1.

Queenie: Queenie was killed by Ramona Royale and Mr. March when she checked into the Cortez in Hotel in approximately 2015.
Apocalypse status: Confirmed! Somehow Cordelia will get her other right-hand woman back despite Queenie's gruesome death. Gabourey Sidibe was photographed back with the Coven crew over the summer.

The Axeman: The Coven killed him (again) after they believed he had killed Fiona.
Apocalypse status: Unlikely. We can't really see a purpose in bringing this jazz aficionado back from the dead, no matter how good Michael Uppendahl was in the role.

Nan: Marie and Fiona killed Nan in the hopes that her death would act as payment to Papa Legba.
Apocalypse status: Unknown. Jamie Brewer hasn't been confirmed to be in the cast and if the Coven could have brought back Nan from the dead, they would have done it already.

Fiona: Fiona died in Cordelia's arms and then went to her personal hell/The Axeman's heaven in which they were together in a dingy cabin forever.
Apocalypse status: Unlikely. Lange will only appear in one episode and it wouldn't make sense for the witches to revive Fiona for such a brief cameo (also, why would anyone want to revive Fiona?).

Shows always starts out good and fizzles midway through
I would agree on most seasons.

Season 1 still the very best. But the last two seasons (Roanoke and Cult) I really really enjoyed. I also really liked Freaks. It kinda went sideways.....but overall solid. Season 2 was decent. I hated Hotel with a passion. Pure garbage. Coven.....on second viewing was OK.

Was an OK opener... Maybe for once it will start just "OK" and get better and better as the season progresses, rather then the way it's been since season one.

:popcorn:

I would agree on most seasons.

Season 1 still the very best. But the last two seasons (Roanoke and Cult) I really really enjoyed. I also really liked Freaks. It kinda went sideways.....but overall solid. Season 2 was decent. I hated Hotel with a passion. Pure garbage. Coven.....on second viewing was OK.
Agree with Shady. Outside of season 1, which I really liked, I couldn’t finish the rest. They just started to lose me in the middle. Hotel lost me right at the start. Even last season I tried to get into it and I was for a bit but then got lost again. I liked this first episode a bit, so I may hang in a little. That said, I liked the parts before they got into the place better (always liked apocalyptic stuff), so I might not last long. Imagining Kathy Bates as a tough ex-marine might be too hard!

Caught the first episode last night and thought it was really enjoyable.

I was reading a few reviews online afterwards.  They all point out who the guy at the end is. Should I have known that?  They reviews seemed to state it like I should have.  Did anyone else know immediately who it was?  They only clue was his name, correct?

ClownCausedChaos2 said:

I was reading a few reviews online afterwards.  They all point out who the guy at the end is. Should I have known that?  They reviews seemed to state it like I should have.  Did anyone else know immediately who it was?  They only clue was his name, correct?
Yes his name was the only clue and remembering the finale from 7 seasons ago. 

ClownCausedChaos2 said:

You have to keep in mind these reviewers watch, re-watch and watch again all episodes and break down every nuance of the shows. What they think viewers should know and what they really know are often, not close. 

Thank you both.  I thought that maybe I had missed something.
Yeah,  I'm so bad with names I probably wouldn't have picked up on that if I had just re-watched season one, let alone having watched it seven years ago.  Things like this are one of the reasons I drop by these threads.

:bag:  Would have helped if I actually read the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
So other than Michael Langdon I'm assuming all the other actors seen so far are playing characters other than the ones they played in Season 1 or 3?  Jessica Lang might still be the adoptive mother of Michael when she shows up?

ETA:  Well, obviously Michael isn't being played by the same actor.  I meant he's the only crossover character so far?

Agree with Shady. Outside of season 1, which I really liked, I couldn’t finish the rest. They just started to lose me in the middle. Hotel lost me right at the start. Even last season I tried to get into it and I was for a bit but then got lost again. I liked this first episode a bit, so I may hang in a little. That said, I liked the parts before they got into the place better (always liked apocalyptic stuff), so I might not last long. Imagining Kathy Bates as a tough ex-marine might be too hard!
I was hoping they would spend more time on that also, that would have been my favorite part. the bomb dropped within like 10 minutes.  <_<

I was hoping they would spend more time on that also, that would have been my favorite part. the bomb dropped within like 10 minutes.  <_<
Yep. I didn’t even watch the second episode. I thought I might last longer but the whole everyone in a room schtick is just not what I was hoping for in this show. I enjoyed the first season so much but nothing since then has been close. Last season definitely grabbed me more at the start even though I never finished it. 

So how is this season so far?  I saw episode 1, enjoyed it.

Now, I read this season would be linked with Murder House and Coven.  I saw Murder House a long time ago when it first came out, and I never saw any of the Coven episodes.

Wondering if this season will be good despite not seeing Coven.  

Chances are it will be like every other season that was really good and then mostly fell apart  

So how is this season so far?  I saw episode 1, enjoyed it.

Now, I read this season would be linked with Murder House and Coven.  I saw Murder House a long time ago when it first came out, and I never saw any of the Coven episodes.

Wondering if this season will be good despite not seeing Coven.  

Chances are it will be like every other season that was really good and then mostly fell apart  
Based on Episode 3. You need to watch Coven. 

Based on Episode 3. You need to watch Coven. 
Well, it's very likely I am going to give it a go without watching Coven.  

Episode 2 was...........strange.  

This one might be off the rails sooner than other seasons.

Ugh, torn on last night's episode.  Some parts were phenomenal - Jessica Lang telling the story.  Other parts were just silly - the two meaningless witches interacting with all the ghosts.  They could have made a whole season out of Michael Langdon's story growing up and becoming who he is.   Doing it in a single episode seemed forced and it was poorly executed imo.  The return to Horror House should have been a huge deal, big episode for this season, and other than Jessica Lang it was a dud.  

Thinking back to last week's episode it was similar.  Langdon going through the 7 Trials seems like something that they could have spent a full episode on with some really good special effects and story telling.  Instead they have that silly montage going through the first 6 and him getting the witch out of hell in 5 minutes for #7.

Hoping it gets better, but, that's kind of what this show is:  Periods of great acting with sub-par/low budget story line execution.  

I thought this week's episode was fantastic.  One of the best episodes of the whole series.

Jessica Lang is the absolute ####.  Phenomenal.

I thought this week's episode was fantastic.  One of the best episodes of the whole series.

Amazing how they go back to what worked... aka the 1st season... and it STILL WORKS!!  Absolutely my favorite episode since season 1

:bow:

I thought it was really good too. It was nice how the episode tied up some loose ends from season 1, and it was great having Jessica Lange back again. 

Ugh, witches vs. warlock filler episode.  Papa Legba - lol, reminds me why Coven ranks near the bottom of all the seasons for me.  Introducing a new character (witch), yeah we need more of those, I guess they had to give Joan Collins something to do.  More silent movie montages.  Young Michael Langdon has all these powers yet is nowhere to be found while they kill his momma guardian and two warlocks.  How many episodes of Apocalypse aren't really going to be in/about the Apocalypse?  Entering into the mid-season dull that we've come to expect from this series.

I've never been this excited for a show to let me down. As an 80s horror fan, I can't wait. I thought episode 1 was just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread