What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asked to be out at a certain time but didn't get it despite my department head saying what I requested was fine. (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
My brother invited my parents and I to his house for a birthday desert of sorts as he has plans with his fiancee this weekend for his birthday. I've been dating a girl since Aug and recently let people in my family know about her. I've met most of her family she's only met my parents because of how spaced out my family is and my cousin just recently came back from working overseas. So my GF is suppose to come with us to meet my brother and his fiancee. And Yes this is the same girl from awhile back and things have sorted out. Even met her sister's boyfriend who seems like a great guy.

Anyway one of the younger guys took off from yesterday till Sunday saying he had a wedding out of state. We live in PA and I asked him where he was going. He said South Carolina so I was like ok yeah he needs that time off that isn't a day trip. We got 4 other guys who can work Sunday and I told my boss I could work till 4 but could reasonable work till 5 if need be. So what does he do? Schedule me 3-8 Sunday thats No Bueno for me. I need to be there by 7:3O. I then find out from 2 coworkers theres no wedding and this kid is going to the NJ Shore. This isn't the first time he's lied about going somewhere just to get off. I personally wouldn't care but when the last 3 times it's effected my plans I start caring and my department manager caught him when his mom by no intentions ratted him out. At the same time he has family who works there and my manager has 2 BS strikes and won't say **** to him because he's afraid they'll come up with some ******** to report him and he loses his job. There's also this little thing where he's taking a full vacation which I know is out of state since his mom told me about it the week of my birthday which I forgot to take off for next month so I might have to work my birthday because of this kid. My girlfriend also planned stuff for my birthday and this is important despite being 35 it's the first one I have a girlfriend to share it with and she wants to do stuff for me.

3 of the other guys work early, my boss is done by 1 another guy most senior works till Noon. Another full timer till 2. There's a kid working 1O-4 but he's already going to be flipping out having to work a Sunday. he's autistic for some reason doesn't work nights even though for the 1st year he did and my boss won't even give a somewhat decent answer why he never works Sundays or weekends. I asked simple why he doesn't work nights and my other co worker and I are accused of complaining about hrs. A decent boss would've given us a heads up at least of "Hey X can't work nights anymore and can't get into why. I just wanted to give you 2 a heads up that both of you will need to work more nights." would've been perfectly reasonable given we're the only 2 besides the senior guy who works Saturday nights and the back up maybe works a Thurs here and there. Either way asking the kid to switch is a chore. I'm going in an hour early at 2 and working till 6:3O. If the guy working till 2 is still there I'll just tell him I read my schedule wrong and I'll leave at 7. I would go in earlier but if I do I raise suspicion and the dude done at 2 is my department heads back up and is beginning to be known as a bit of a snitch. One of those guys that tells my boss everything and my boss has even told me this as a heads up.

Only reason I'm not bringing this up to my department head is because I might screw myself and not be able to go without calling out and if I do my Department manager can be vindictive. I also need the $$$ too.

You need to follow that young punk and find out exactly where he's going. Bring some wedding clothes just in case. Otherwise just live it up at the shore 🎉💪

Good luck GB 🙏

The reason a co worker is taking time off and the reasons someone doesn't work certain shifts is none of your business. That is between them and their supervisor.

Your failure to put in for time off in a timely manner, such as for your birthday, is not someone else's fault. You are not likely to be working on your birthday because of this person, you are likely to work it because of yourself.

No where in your post have you said that you addressed the scheduling issue with your boss to remind him that you were not available to work late, to see if he could adjust the schedule. Maybe you did and did not mention it, but that should be your first step. If he can't or won't, it sounds like there are 3 people with earlier shifts that you can talk with to see if they'd be willing to switch with you.

Or you can pull your misread the schedule routine which only puts you in a bad light instead of trying to address it proactively.

You need to follow that young punk and find out exactly where he's going. Bring some wedding clothes just in case. Otherwise just live it up at the shore 🎉💪

Good luck GB 🙏

LOL Like I said I normally wouldn't care why someone is taking off unless it directly effects me. Our biggest issue is we are the only 2 guys who supposedly can work a night even a Sunday night so if both of us need off one of us is getting screwed. Another coworker asked why we don't have someone at least trained for our department who works else where and when we are shorthanded they come over. I told them it's because you know our work doesn't use common sense.

Either way his lying has effected my personal plans now 3-4 times and tomorrow is a special moment for me to introduce my girlfriend to more of my family as I don't see a lot of my family unless it's something like this or holidays. Also my boss asked me yesterday where the kid went I said I heard a wedding in South Carolina. Apparently he found out himself from someone he was just going to the shore with friends. Told me if he knew that he wouldn't have given him Thurs-Sat off work Sunday.

But yeah our biggest issue is lack of help and my boss doesn't want to get anyone else as it effects the guys he has hours like myself who are part time. We had guy a few months ago but we got rid of him because he was lazy and didn't even do most of the work.

The reason a co worker is taking time off and the reasons someone doesn't work certain shifts is none of your business. That is between them and their supervisor.

Your failure to put in for time off in a timely manner, such as for your birthday, is not someone else's fault. You are not likely to be working on your birthday because of this person, you are likely to work it because of yourself.

No where in your post have you said that you addressed the scheduling issue with your boss to remind him that you were not available to work late, to see if he could adjust the schedule. Maybe you did and did not mention it, but that should be your first step. If he can't or won't, it sounds like there are 3 people with earlier shifts that you can talk with to see if they'd be willing to switch with you.

Or you can pull your misread the schedule routine which only puts you in a bad light instead of trying to address it proactively.

I'm not asking for an explanation why he can't work nights just more annoyed my boss didn't come up to the 2 of us and tell us we both are working more nights now. I'm a member of a club and one of the most senior people and I knew I had 2 certain days I wouldn't work late. I figured after the first week it happened it was just one week but after it kept happening and we had to make changes each week we decided on meeting every 2 weeks on X day I now am requesting to not work nights for. So him not giving me a heads up effected me. Trust me if we did this to him he'd be throwing a fit.

I may not explained entirely but my boss is pretty vindictive. He's also thick headed. If I can't get off at a certain time he's going to use his schtick of "I got a business to run." which is funny because it's not really his business it's my store managers. He is just hired to run a department. I've addressed scheduling with him in the past and he's not much help. Last 4th of July I had a cousin's wedding that was suppose to happen for the last 3 yrs canceled do to the pandemic. My cousin's wife is from another country and with Pandemic rules and such they've had to move the wedding back. At the time I was in another department till the 2nd yr. He told me I couldn't have off because no one has a 4th of July wedding and he blacks out that day to take off by everyone which I found out from the Union our bosses can't black out days and tell people they gotta work. The only reason he let me go is another department I was working for at the time wanted me those 2 days so he gave me off just so they couldn't have me.

He's also one of those he's always right everyone else is wrong types so going to him isn't going to work. Like I said the other 3 aren't switching. The SR guy is a cokehead who can barely remember when he switches and says he's got plans which he doesn't. The back up manager who's working won't switch with me either. He's already complaining about working one night a week till 8 and having to be at work at 6 in the morning to do tags his next day. Boohoo I've done that for yrs. Yeah it sucks but that was part of what you agreed to when you took that position. SO I doubt he'll switch. The other guy working is the kid who can't work nights for whatever reason despite the fact he was when he first started. Like I said he's already freaking out he has to work Sunday which he doesn't usually work.

So really where does this leave me? I'll go in early do my hours and leave early. It's not like I called out or no called or no showed. Plus after 6 in my department even on holidays it's a ghost town. The most traffic of customers we get are in Deli or the alcohol lanes.

Kids mom came in tonight while I was working coworker asked where he went with Boss was there a bit later today with the big delivery we get on Saturdays and was leaving when she was coming in. He was near by over heard her tell us he went to the shore with his friends. Kid if he's gonna lie needs to figure out how to do it better because eventually my Manager won't even give him off on request anymore. I understand the employer doesn't need to know and can't ask where someone is going or requesting off for but if the kid wants to keep lying that on him. Just hope he isn't surprised next time he asks for some time off its not granted. Dude does show up and complete his work 9O% of the time but he's a real space cadet at times too.

So I went in early onSunday no one said a word nothing said yesterday. My manager did bring up coworker lying to me and I told him yeah the other guy thought it was funny that the kids mom came in and ratted him out.

Long story short my manager said he was curious to see if he'd keep the lie up so he wanted me to act cool about it and ask the kid when he came in yesterday. I waited till end of my shift so he'd been there for 3 hrs already. I told him funny story X and I saw your mom on Saturday and she said you were on vacation at the store. X manager heard her as well from a far. X told us in th back where you were.

Mom told him she saw us at the store. He knew he was caught but bold faced lied. Told me now the wedding was originally suppose to be in Tenn and I said I thought you said it was in South Carolina? Well thats my family trip in June. Yeah you told me one of the Carolinas though. He had to move the wedding to the shore because of family being in Long Beach island. So the wedding miraculously moved to a church with a new venue 2 months prior to the wedding with zero issues? I then asked him just curious when was the wedding did your mom come home after the wedding. My mom didn't go she had work, it was a cousin on my dad's side friend of his. Here were go the sisters boyfriends, cousins aunt schtick. We stayed at my cousins friends house down there.

I just told him next time he says something to people keep the story straight and if theres a change of plans probably should let people know so it doesn't seem like you are lying.

Users who are viewing this thread