What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assange Extradition- Britain Agrees to Extradite Publisher to Country that Plotted to Assassinate Him (1 Viewer)

Good god this argument is terrible. NCC is a highly principled individual, but getting past that this logic is awful. Are you supporting the persecution of gays and dissidents in Saudi Arabia because you support WL? I would certainly not say that.
No, Wikileaks was reckless in publishing information that harmed people like that.  It was wrong.  Do they deserve death or imprisonment for it?  Does it discount the weight of what those leaks revealed?  I don’t think so.  

Please don’t lecture me about other posters.  I know NCC is principled.  I respect him and you both.  That’s why it’s so disappointing to see him humoring this disgrace.  It’s a gross misreading of the existential threat this poses.  

No, Wikileaks was reckless in publishing information that harmed people like that.  It was wrong.  Do they deserve death or imprisonment for it?  Does it discount the weight of what those leaks revealed?  I don’t think so.  

Please don’t lecture me about other posters.  I know NCC is principled.  I respect him and you both.  That’s why it’s so disappointing to see him humoring this disgrace.  It’s a gross misreading of the existential threat this poses.  
Sorry, and thanks. - Obviously my point was just that how one feels about any person or state helped or hurt by WL is totally independent of the legality of the charges against him.

I appreciate the kind words but I wholeheartedly disagree. Again if all Assange did was disseminate the information I'd be storming the Bastille with you. But he committed an actual crime. Or I guess attempted to. That's the difference for me. I'm sorry if that disappoints you.

So you believe whistleblowers should be prosecuted.  The USG should be able to torture and murder people in total secrecy?  How would people begin to know about that if not for people like Chelsea Manning?  How is that not siding with torturers and war criminals.  
If we find it acceptable to justify all means solely by the ends, the world descends into tribalism and factions warring to determine which ends should be found justifiable.

Oh, wait.

Julian Assange: The 2011 60 Minutes Interview

Assange is a good man.  Never understood how someone could listen to him and come away thinking he's some kind of villain.  Instead he rots away in prison while the real criminals walk free.   It's a sick world we live in.  
Because he isn't a good man.  For many many reasons.  He is a criminal and should be in prison regardless of other "real criminals" walking free.

There were probably more honest ways to run cover for his source, but no, he wasn’t telling the truth.  
Does it strike you as odd that you’re providing an interview he gave specifically to lie to you as an example of what a good man he is and an example of how you can’t understand how anyone could listen to him and think otherwise?

An interview I assume in which you originally believed him? Like you believe him about his sources for the DNC leak? And a lot of other stuff?

Does it strike you as odd that you’re providing an interview he gave specifically to lie to you as an example of what a good man he is and an example of how you can’t understand how anyone could listen to him and think otherwise?

An interview I assume in which you originally believed him? Like you believe him about his sources for the DNC leak? And a lot of other stuff?
No, I don’t believe that was the point of the interview at all.  I think he did what he could to protect a source on the noblest of their releases.  I never believed anyone but Manning was the source once he was implicated.  What was he supposed to say?  ‘Yeah Bradley was the source’?

Ever wonder why so many sources went to Assange with the most sensitive information?  Why did they trust him?  

No, I don’t believe that was the point of the interview at all.  I think he did what he could to protect a source on the noblest of their releases.  I never believed anyone but Manning was the source once he was implicated.  What was he supposed to say?  ‘Yeah Bradley was the source’?

Ever wonder why so many sources went to Assange with the most sensitive information?  Why did they trust him?  
To put the information out? Because that’s what he does when he accepts a submission and its target. In fact he has a list of what he wants submitted and this stuff was on it.

To protect them as sources? No idea.  I don’t think many of them have gotten away without being identified, have they?

Assange knowingly smeared Seth Rich and contributed to the continuance of the conspiracy theory after he was dead.   Scumbag.
Maybe you didn’t watch ren’s video of Assange lying.  Apparently it really makes it clear what a great guy he is. 

Wow.  Sky News covered Julian Assange like a human being. 

https://news.sky.com/story/julian-assange-put-through-hell-at-embassy-says-former-diplomat-11698113

"I was there the first months of the last year and I witnessed when Julian was told that he would no longer be allowed to have internet or access to the phone and wouldn't be able to have visitors.

"The strategy was very clear - break him down. The government didn't know how to end the asylum and face the catastrophic historical shame for doing that."

Wow.  Sky News covered Julian Assange like a human being. 

https://news.sky.com/story/julian-assange-put-through-hell-at-embassy-says-former-diplomat-11698113

"I was there the first months of the last year and I witnessed when Julian was told that he would no longer be allowed to have internet or access to the phone and wouldn't be able to have visitors.

"The strategy was very clear - break him down. The government didn't know how to end the asylum and face the catastrophic historical shame for doing that."
I shudder for the billion and a hal of people on this earth that are living in absolute hell - without access to the internet. Hopefully someone will address that issue so they can be spared this purgatory

But rather than refuse to comment on his sources, as he’s done in other cases, Assange used his platform to deny that he got the material from Russians, and make statements at an alternative theory. On August 9, 2016, WikiLeaks’ Twitter feed announced a $20,000 reward for “information leading to conviction for the murder of DNC staffer Seth Rich.”
Agree it's impossible to have a discussion about Assange without the Seth Rich issue. He discussed his claiming to know the Russians weren't behind the hack and also supporting the Rich claims shows a man of bad moral character and who tried to use the death of an innocent person and smearing his name for the sake of alibi. That is low, low character.

It would be great if a journalist could ask Assange why Wikileaks tweeted out a $20K reward for Seth Rich. He could probably clear that right up.  Except he can't, because he's been gagged for over a year, kicked out of asylum- making a mockery of international law and revealing Lenin Moreno to be a traitor to his country- and imprisoned for publishing documents that the West didn't like.  

Hey, maybe someone could run an investigation on that DNC "hack" and interview Assange about that, since he published the leaks and has information about the source.  Except that didn't happen either, because Robert Mueller didn't run a real investigation.  Because a real investigation would have taken him straight to the publisher to find information about the sourcing of those documents, not to Jerome Corsi and facebook memers.  It wouldn't regurgitate brainless assertions of the national security state, like Mueller did when he pushed Iraq WMDs and tried to cover up one of the biggest intelligence failures of all time.  It wouldn't outsource its work to a private cybersecurity firm, run by an FBI alum of course, that failed so hard in their attribution process as to be called "delusional" by Ukraine.  

Also, nice work linking to Kevin Poulsen.  Up there with Jason Leopold and Matthew Cole for their snitch journalism.  

It would be great if a journalist could ask Assange why Wikileaks tweeted out a $20K reward for Seth Rich. He could probably clear that right up.  Except he can't, because he's been gagged for over a year, kicked out of asylum- making a mockery of international law and revealing Lenin Moreno to be a traitor to his country- and imprisoned for publishing documents that the West didn't like.  

Hey, maybe someone could run an investigation on that DNC "hack" and interview Assange about that, since he published the leaks and has information about the source.  Except that didn't happen either, because Robert Mueller didn't run a real investigation.  Because a real investigation would have taken him straight to the publisher to find information about the sourcing of those documents, not to Jerome Corsi and facebook memers.  It wouldn't regurgitate brainless assertions of the national security state, like Mueller did when he pushed Iraq WMDs and tried to cover up one of the biggest intelligence failures of all time.  It wouldn't outsource its work to a private cybersecurity firm, run by an FBI alum of course, that failed so hard in their attribution process as to be called "delusional" by Ukraine.  

Also, nice work linking to Kevin Poulsen.  Up there with Jason Leopold and Matthew Cole for their snitch journalism.  
They did it for the same reason he said he’d never been in contact with Manning and for the same reason he said he hadn’t been in contact with any Russians on the DNC hack, ren.  Because Assange isn’t an upstanding, transparent, truthful person. He’s a liar and a criminal.

They did it for the same reason he said he’d never been in contact with Manning and for the same reason he said he hadn’t been in contact with any Russians on the DNC hack, ren.  Because Assange isn’t an upstanding, transparent, truthful person. He’s a liar and a criminal.
If I ws wearing a :tinfoilhat:  I might be thinking that they knew the killer would never be found...

But that would be Pizzagate level idiocy so I'll leave that to certain other posters

Your attitude towards Leopold is odd. He actually obtains public information on official acts by public officials legally. I could see being extreme and supporting Leopold and Assange but not Assange and against Leopold.

Hey, maybe someone could run an investigation on that DNC "hack" and interview Assange about that, since he published the leaks and has information about the source.  Except that didn't happen either, because Robert Mueller didn't run a real investigation.  Because a real investigation would have taken him straight to the publisher to find information about the sourcing of those documents, not to Jerome Corsi and facebook memers. ...
Well gosh here’s his chance, eh? The DOJ is ready and willing to talk to him and see his evidence.

The data trail he could provide should answer all your qualms.

It wouldn't outsource its work to a private cybersecurity firm, run by an FBI alum of course, that failed so hard in their attribution process as to be called "delusional" by Ukraine.  
I think you and I have a couple interests in common politically. One is cybersecurity and another is transparency in government. I wish you'd take a moment to look at the report's findings on these topics because really nationally and here on this board the hacking aspect has especially been glossed over. It's really amazing that the US government has charged foreign intelligence officers, an oligarch, and private citizens abroad, including some with past security apparatus backgrounds, in the US. This is really rare. The US didn't use to do this with the USSR because the US and Soviets used to play by a set of unspoken rules. Putin does not feel bound by these rules and the US almost entirely unpacked its defense apparatus after the end of the Cold War. We just stopped doing defensive maneuvers vs active measures and the old guard that knew how to do them is dying off, the Obama administration was reluctant to engage in them until literally the final months and the current administration is hostile to the very concept.

Anyway if you look at the report this is how Vol. I breaks down as far as this subject matter is concerned:

• II. Russian Active Measures Social Media Campaign.
  • III. Russian Hacking and Dumping Operations.
Part III is divided into:

• GRU Hacking Directed at the Clinton Campaign
  • Dissemination of the Hacked Materials
  • Additional GRU Cyber Operations.
  • Trump Campaign and the Dissemination of Hacked Materials. - Note this itself has 7 sub-sections and two are wholly redacted as under ongoing investigations. We don't even know what these sections are about.
I think you'd be interested in pages 36-41. What I notice is that:

• They do not reference the DNC vendor you mention, Crowdstrike, in the narrative.
  • They have multiple sections redacted for investigative techniques. Which tells me the Feds were using spying and their own counterhacking and forensic tools. They reference a Netyshko indictment several times - [edited] - that's the GRU indictment. It's so overlooked that I think most people who follows this stuff wouldn't know the name, myself included apparantly.
  • Specific units of the GRU are referenced. I'll just quote this bit below because it interests me.
  • Crowdstrike is mentioned in two footnotes only - 1. is merely in the chronology stating that Crowdstrike put out its report. The report is not cited as proof of anything here. 2. Again later the report is referenced in chronology, but this time to introduce that the GRU put out its own counter-report under Guccifer2.0, which I hadn't heard of before. I'll post that bit separately.
  • I think you should look at the footnotes, I think you'd be surprised by the multiple sourcing. What I have below is just narrative.

1. GRU Units Target the Clinton Campaign

Two military units of the GRU carried out the computer intrusions into the Clinton Campaign, DNC, and DCCC: Military Units 26165 and 74455.110 Military Unit 26165 is a GRU cyber unit dedicated to targeting military, political, governmental, and non-governmental organizations outside of Russia, including in the United States.111 The unit was sub-divided into departments with different specialties. One department, for example, developed specialized malicious software ("malware"), while another department conducted large-scale spearphishing campaigns.112■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ a bitcoin mining operation to secure bitcoins used to purchase computer infrastructure used in hacking operations. 113

Military Unit 74455 is a related GRU unit with multiple departments that engaged in cyber operations. Unit 74455 assisted in the release of documents stolen by Unit 26165, the promotion of those releases, and the publication of anti-Clinton content on social media accounts operated by the GRU. Officers from Unit 74455 separately hacked computers belonging to state boards of elections, secretaries of state, and U.S. companies that supplied software and other technology related to the administration of U.S. elections.114

Beginning in mid-March 2016, Unit 26165 had primary responsibility for hacking the DCCC and DNC, as well as email accounts of individuals affiliated with the Clinton Campaign.115

Unit 26165 used ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ to learn about ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ different Democratic websites, including democrats.org, hillaryclinton.com, dnc.org, and dccc.org. ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ began before the GRU had obtained any credentials or gained access to these networks, indicating that the later DCCC and DNC intrusions were not crimes of opportunity but rather the result of targeting.116

GRU officers also sent hundreds of spearphishing emails to the work and personal email accounts of Clinton Campaign employees and volunteers. Between March 10, 2016 and March 15, 2016, Unit 26165 appears to have sent approximately 90 spearphishing emails to email accounts at hillaryclinton.com. Starting on March 15, 2016, the GRU began targeting Google email accounts used by Clinton Campaign employees, along with a smaller number of dnc.org email accounts.117

The GRU spearphishing operation enabled it to gain access to numerous email accounts of Clinton Campaign employees and volunteers, including campaign chairman John Podesta, junior volunteers assigned to the Clinton Campaign’s advance team, informal Clinton Campaign advisors, and a DNC employee.118 GRU officers stole tens of thousands of emails from spearphishing victims, including various Clinton Campaign-related communications.

2. Intrusions into the DCCC and DNC Networks

a. Initial Access

By no later than April 12, 2016, the GRU had gained access to the DCCC computer network using the credentials stolen from a DCCC employee who had been successfully spearphished the week before. Over the ensuing weeks, the GRU traversed the network, identifying different computers connected to the DCCC network. By stealing network access credentials along the way (including those of IT administrators with unrestricted access to the system), the GRU compromised approximately 29 different computers on the DCCC network.119

Approximately six days after first hacking into the DCCC network, on April 18, 2016, GRU officers gained access to the DNC network via a virtual private network (VPN) connection120 between the DCCC and DNC networks.121 Between April 18, 2016 and June 8, 2016, Unit 26165 compromised more than 30 computers on the DNC network, including the DNC mail server and shared file server.122

b. Implantation of Malware on DCCC and DNC Networks

Unit 26165 implanted on the DCCC and DNC networks two types of customized malware,123 known as “X-Agent” and “X-Tunnel”; Mimikatz, a credential-harvesting tool; and rar.exe, a tool used in these intrusions to compile and compress materials for exfiltration. X-Agent was a multi-function hacking tool that allowed Unit 26165 to log keystrokes, take screenshots, and gather other data about the infected computers (e.g., file directories, operating systems).124 X-Tunnel was a hacking tool that created an encrypted connection between the victim DCCC/DNC computers and GRU-controlled computers outside the DCCC and DNC networks that was capable of large-scale data transfers.125 GRU officers then used X-Tunnel to exfiltrate stolen data from the victim computers.

To operate X-Agent and X-Tunnel on the DCCC and DNC networks, Unit 26165 officers set up a group of computers outside those networks to communicate with the implanted malware.126127

The AMS Panel used to control X-Agent during the DCCC and DNC intrusions was housed on a leased computer located near ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Arizona.128■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■129

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

The Arizona-based AMS Panel also stored thousands of files containing keylogging sessions captured through X-Agent. These sessions were captured as GRU officers monitored DCCC and DNC employees’ work on infected computers regularly between April 2016 and June 2016. Data captured in these keylogging sessions included passwords, internal communications between employees, banking information, and sensitive personal information.

c. Theft of Documents from DNC and DCCC Networks

Officers from Unit 26165 stole thousands of documents from the DCCC and DNC networks, including significant amounts of data pertaining to the 2016 U.S. federal elections. Stolen documents included internal strategy documents, fundraising data, opposition research, and emails from the work inboxes of DNC employees.130

The GRU began stealing DCCC data shortly after it gained access to the network. On April 14, 2016 (approximately three days after the initial intrusion) GRU officers downloaded rar.exe onto the DCCC’s document server. The following day, the GRU searched one compromised DCCC computer for files containing search terms that included “Hillary,” “DNC,” “Cruz,” and “Trump."131 On April 25, 2016, the GRU collected and compressed PDF and Microsoft documents from folders on the DCCC’s shared file server that pertained to the 2016 election.132 The GRU appears to have compressed and exfiltrated over 70 gigabytes of data from this file server.133

The GRU also stole documents from the DNC network shortly after gaining access. On April 22, 2016, the GRU copied files from the DNC network to GRU-controlled computers. Stolen documents included the DNC’s opposition research into candidate Trump.134 Between approximately May 25, 2016 and June 1, 2016, GRU officers accessed the DNC’s mail server from a GRU-controlled computer leased inside the United States.135 During these connections, 

Unit 26165 officers appear to have stolen thousands of emails and attachments, which were later released by WikiLeaks in July 2016.136

B. Dissemination of the Hacked Materials

The GRU’s operations extended beyond stealing materials, and included releasing documents stolen from the Clinton Campaign and its supporters. The GRU carried out the anonymous release through two fictitious online personas that it created — DCLeaks and Guccifer 2.0 — and later through the organization WikiLeaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a new piece that interested me:

On June 14, 2016, the DNC and its cyber-response team announced the breach of the DNC network and suspected theft of DNC documents. In the statements, the cyber-response team alleged that Russian state-sponsored actors (which they referred to as “Fancy Bear") were responsible for the breach.145 Apparently in response to that announcement, on June 15, 2016, GRU officers using the persona Guccifer 2.0 created a WordPress blog. In the hours leading up to the launch of that WordPress blog, GRU officers logged into a Moscow-based server used and managed by Unit 74455 and searched for a number of specific words and phrases in English, including “some hundred sheets,” “illuminati,” and “worldwide known.” Approximately two hours after the last of those searches, Guccifer 2.0 published its first post, attributing the DNC server hack to a lone Romanian hacker and using several of the unique English words and phrases that the GRU officers had searched for that day.
- I don't know how often that G2.0 counter-"report" is referenced by those attacking the attribution of the hacks to Russia, but I bet it's a lot.

Repulsive and indefensible.

I posted a link to this article and some text from it and it got deleted. Not sure why.  @FBG Moderator could you let me know when you get a chance?  Too much text from behind a paywall?
Not sure. In general though, stuff from behind a paywall is not something to post here where it can accessed for free. It happens some but some site (justifiably) get pretty upset with it. 

DOJ letter, written to Wikileaks associate Daniel Domscheit-Berg the day after Assange indictment, suggests Assange is being investigated for "possible violations of United States federal criminal law regarding the unauthorized receipt and dissemination of classified information."

https://netzpolitik.org/2019/wikileaks-the-us-is-indeed-investigating-assange-for-publishing-secret-information-doj-letter-suggests/#2018-03-07_US-DOJ-DDB-WikiLeaks-ENG
That statute includes willful attempts to obtain the information through an intermediary as a coconspirator. 18 USC 793(c) through (e) I believe. 

DOJ letter, written to Wikileaks associate Daniel Domscheit-Berg the day after Assange indictment, suggests Assange is being investigated for "possible violations of United States federal criminal law regarding the unauthorized receipt and dissemination of classified information."

https://netzpolitik.org/2019/wikileaks-the-us-is-indeed-investigating-assange-for-publishing-secret-information-doj-letter-suggests/#2018-03-07_US-DOJ-DDB-WikiLeaks-ENG
I agree that is interesting. I’ll also note that the letter is dated March of last year. I think it’s also interesting Berg quit WL September of 2010.

This is a better argument than the points about CFAA. I think it’s likely or possible that additional charges could be leveled after transfer to the US if that does happen. Though I think if that occurs it will relate to later events, not the Manning incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the blog the letter is dated one day after the indictment. Does that plus the reference to voluntary appearance mean that Domscheit-Berg is cooperating with the Feds?

50 weeks jail for walking out on bail
>>Sentencing him, Judge Deborah Taylor told Assange it was difficult to envisage a more serious example of the offence.

"By hiding in the embassy you deliberately put yourself out of reach, while remaining in the UK," she said.

She said this had "undoubtedly" affected the progress of the Swedish proceedings.

His continued residence at the embassy and bringing him to justice had cost taxpayers £16m, she added.

"Whilst you may have had fears as to what may happen to you, nonetheless you had a choice, and the course of action you chose was to commit this offence," she concluded.<<

>>Sentencing him, Judge Deborah Taylor told Assange it was difficult to envisage a more serious example of the offence.

"By hiding in the embassy you deliberately put yourself out of reach, while remaining in the UK," she said.

She said this had "undoubtedly" affected the progress of the Swedish proceedings.

His continued residence at the embassy and bringing him to justice had cost taxpayers £16m, she added.

"Whilst you may have had fears as to what may happen to you, nonetheless you had a choice, and the course of action you chose was to commit this offence," she concluded.<<
so that's 7 years of holing up in an embassy and a year in the clink, to avoid a five year max sentence (so far).

UN experts have called for Julian Assange to be released from prison and criticised the British government for breaching his human rights.

The WikiLeaks publisher was jailed for 50 weeks on Wednesday for breaking bail conditions imposed seven years earlier by seeking asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

The UN working group on arbitrary detention (WGAD) said it was deeply concerned by the “disproportionate sentence” imposed on Assange for violating the terms of his bail, which it described as a “minor violation”.

The group has twice previously called for Assange to be freed, after it judged his confinement to the Ecuadorian embassy by the threat of arrest should he leave amounted to arbitrary detention.

“The working group regrets that the government has not complied with its opinion and has now furthered the arbitrary deprivation of liberty of Mr Assange,” it said in a statement on Friday.

“It is worth recalling that the detention and the subsequent bail of Mr Assange in the UK were connected to preliminary investigations initiated in 2010 by a prosecutor in Sweden. It is equally worth noting that that prosecutor did not press any charges against Mr Assange and that in 2017, after interviewing him in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, she discontinued investigations and brought an end to the case.

“The working group is further concerned that Mr Assange has been detained since 11 April 2019 in Belmarsh prison, a high-security prison, as if he were convicted for a serious criminal offence. This treatment appears to contravene the principles of necessity and proportionality envisaged by the human rights standards.

“The WGAD reiterates its recommendation to the government of the United Kingdom, as expressed in its opinion 54/2015, and its 21 December 2018 statement, that the right of Mr Assange to personal liberty should be restored.”

UN calls for Julian Assange's release from UK high-security jail

UN experts have called for Julian Assange to be released from prison and criticised the British government for breaching his human rights.

The WikiLeaks publisher was jailed for 50 weeks on Wednesday for breaking bail conditions imposed seven years earlier by seeking asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

The UN working group on arbitrary detention (WGAD) said it was deeply concerned by the “disproportionate sentence” imposed on Assange for violating the terms of his bail, which it described as a “minor violation”.

The group has twice previously called for Assange to be freed, after it judged his confinement to the Ecuadorian embassy by the threat of arrest should he leave amounted to arbitrary detention.

“The working group regrets that the government has not complied with its opinion and has now furthered the arbitrary deprivation of liberty of Mr Assange,” it said in a statement on Friday.

“It is worth recalling that the detention and the subsequent bail of Mr Assange in the UK were connected to preliminary investigations initiated in 2010 by a prosecutor in Sweden. It is equally worth noting that that prosecutor did not press any charges against Mr Assange and that in 2017, after interviewing him in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, she discontinued investigations and brought an end to the case.

“The working group is further concerned that Mr Assange has been detained since 11 April 2019 in Belmarsh prison, a high-security prison, as if he were convicted for a serious criminal offence. This treatment appears to contravene the principles of necessity and proportionality envisaged by the human rights standards.

“The WGAD reiterates its recommendation to the government of the United Kingdom, as expressed in its opinion 54/2015, and its 21 December 2018 statement, that the right of Mr Assange to personal liberty should be restored.”

UN calls for Julian Assange's release from UK high-security jail
I don't have to click that link to know that reporting is fake. 

Users who are viewing this thread