What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Astros 2012-13 Off-season (1 Viewer)

If you have a minor league product, i guess adults will act like they are twelve out of boredom

astros-investigating-fan-who-pretended-hot-dog-was-his-wiener-on-live-tv

Reid Ryan now president of the Astros

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130516&content_id=47709390&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I will let others connect any Ryan dots they would like
The family owns one Astros affiliate and one Rangers affiliate. Plus I think he's been on some board or committee of MLB for a while. Not sure there are any dots to connect, although I'd love to see Nolan back with the Astros if for no other reason than the local minor league team (which is their Rangers squad that Reid used to run) can go back to being Astros.

Reid Ryan now president of the Astros

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130516&content_id=47709390&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I will let others connect any Ryan dots they would like
The family owns one Astros affiliate and one Rangers affiliate. Plus I think he's been on some board or committee of MLB for a while. Not sure there are any dots to connect, although I'd love to see Nolan back with the Astros if for no other reason than the local minor league team (which is their Rangers squad that Reid used to run) can go back to being Astros.
Round Rock has a deal with the Rangers until 2018 I believe. I don't think Reid getting this job will rush Nolan back to Houston, but it will make for some good talking points in the off-season. Pretty cool for Reid, I have always liked him. Found his own path when he didn't have success as a player.

coolnerd said:
So seemingly ever week there is some bad news bears play or managing decision....uhm walk-off loss on a lazy pop up error

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/astros-dropped-fly-ball-gives-pittsburgh-walkoff-victory-084508758.html
Ouch.

I would blame the camo unis Pitt was running out there last night.
The best part is the pitcher being excited that he gotten of the mess only to see that you might want to wait until the Astros actually catch the ball.

and I hear he was charging people extra for the "special topping".
"That's real talk!"
I guess he thought the if Astros can sell their fans heaping piles of ---- he could literally do it.

Somewhat surprised they have had two win streaks this year of 4+ games. I think it speaks highly of Porter and of the players that they aren't mailing it in at every opportunity.

Astros sign Jose Altuve to a 4 year extension starting in 2014. Deal is worth 12.5 million. Also has 2 club options in 2018 and 2019.

Removed himself? As a Mariners fan, I can't believe he even allowed himself to throw more than 70 pitches.

current payroll for the 25 man roster is around $13M
This probably the last year where trading away even usable non-expensive major leagues like Veras and Norris is an acceptable part of the long term plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
This probably the last year where trading away even usable non-expensive major leagues like Veras and Norris is an acceptable part of the long term plan.
They've pushed their strategy beyond what I thought were the rational limits. How the hell are they marketing this team to local fans? PTBNL bobblehead night?

They've pushed their strategy beyond what I thought were the rational limits. How the hell are they marketing this team to local fans? PTBNL bobblehead night?
The team isn't bringing fans in with or without Maxwell and Norris. A good chunk of the city can't even watch their last place Stros on TV because of a huge issue with CSN Houston. No casual fan cares at this point. The end game to all this selling is to get back to a level of respectability. The Astros farm system was dead, withered, and bone dry. Luhnow is doing all he can to replenish it. Owner Jim Crane isn't gonna spend big $$ on free agents until there is some young, dependable talent on the roster that is at least .500 caliber. I love my Astros, I chose to sign up for Comcast just so I could watch my last place team. I'm not losing any sleep over the slashing of payroll and Norris and Maxwell. The only l choice I have is to look several years ahead and hope the crops grow into something decent. Houston is a fair-weather baseball town. They're not gonna show up until the team is winning again. Luhnow has time to work with.

TheFly06 said:
Eephus said:
coolnerd said:
Eephus said:
The team isn't bringing fans in with or without Maxwell and Norris. A good chunk of the city can't even watch their last place Stros on TV because of a huge issue with CSN Houston. No casual fan cares at this point. The end game to all this selling is to get back to a level of respectability. The Astros farm system was dead, withered, and bone dry. Luhnow is doing all he can to replenish it. Owner Jim Crane isn't gonna spend big $$ on free agents until there is some young, dependable talent on the roster that is at least .500 caliber. I love my Astros, I chose to sign up for Comcast just so I could watch my last place team. I'm not losing any sleep over the slashing of payroll and Norris and Maxwell. The only l choice I have is to look several years ahead and hope the crops grow into something decent. Houston is a fair-weather baseball town. They're not gonna show up until the team is winning again. Luhnow has time to work with.
I guess but even the most patient fanbase is going to get tired of AAA teams and Crane skimming MLB revenue sharing payments.

Right now Astros fan is having to point a great deal (actually too much) trust that when the time is right Crane is going to spend properly for a team in a large enough market. If a bunch of the young prospects hit at the same time, I can already see 1) Well, we have got so much young talent that there is no need to add veterans or 2) we were not expecting all of these young star players to hit at once, so we can't pay these three or four and need to ship them off for prospects. And that TV deal needs to get done, so that not another excuse.

I actually like the package that they got for Norris, but there really was not some "need" to trade him at this point. Even for a mid-rotation largely innings eater, he was cheap and young enough that in 2015 he could be the "veteran experience" in a rotation that's going to be silly young.

Users who are viewing this thread