What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Atomic Punk - Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

Atomic Punk

Footballguy
A few weeks in the making, but here it is. Feel free to comment, ask questions and pick it a part. As I always do, I try and predict a few trades that seem to make some sense for both teams.

1.01 Indianapolis Colts Andrew Luck QB, Stanford

Sometimes things just work out for a franchise. With one franchise quarterback nearing the end and moving on to the Rockies, it is only fitting that he is replaced with the next greatest franchise quarterback prospect to enter the league since Manning. Although I try to never say there is no way that one thing or another will happen in a draft … but there is NO WAY the Colts will do anything but take Luck.

1.02 Washington Redskins Robert Griffin III, Baylor

The second slam dunk pick to start off the draft. The Redskins didnt sell the farm and trade three 1st round and a 2nd round pick for anything but a franchise QB. It will be impossible to say who won this trade for a few years, but it shows a team has to do something drastic to bridge the gap between long term mediocrity and championships.

1.03 Minnesota Vikings Matt Kalil OT, USC

Everyone is talking about the QBs this year and rightfully so, but Kalil is no slouch. The Vikings are making noise about a lot of other players to drum up trade interest and move down a few spots, but I dont think they will get the action they are looking for. They will be thankful for that after a few years of Kalil anchoring their line.

1.04 Cleveland Browns Trent Richardson RB, Alabama

I cant see the Browns going into the season with Hardesty as their starter at RB and they are in dire need of an offensive spark like Richardson. They seem to be willing to give Colt McCoy another chance at QB (at least until next year when they have a shot at Barkley), so they need a strong presence at RB to take the pressure off him.

1.05 Kansas City Chiefs Ryan Tanenhill QB, Texas A&M

(To TB #11 and #44 / To KC #5)

If last year taught us anything, it is that potential franchise QBs will be overvalued in this new rookie salary cap era. Im not going to tell you this is the right move, but I it wont surprise when QB needy teams make a move in desperation. The Chiefs cant be sold on Cassel as there long term answer at QB, so look for Tanenhill to learn the playbook this year and take over in 2013. Tampa Bay has made some great moves already this offseason and this is another move to continue to add an early 2nd round pick to add depth in key areas.

1.06 St. Louis Rams Morris Claiborne CB, LSU

The Rams have holes or require depth at almost every position and can just stay true to their draft board and it is hard to argue that Claiborne is not the highest ranked prospect still available. I think the Fisher era will begin with a focus on shoring up the defence despite the obvious needs elsewhere.

1.07 Jacksonville Jaguars Justin Blackmon WR, Oklahoma ST.

As the holder of the second overall pick in one of my dynasty rookie drafts, this is the last place I was hoping for Blackmon to land, but it really makes too much sense for it not to happen. Jacksonville needs to give Gabbert some weapons and Laurent Robinson is definitely not the same calibre of player as Blackmon. This is a perfect case of BPA meets need.

1.08 Miami Dolphins Quinton Coples OLB/DE, North Carolina

Dolphin fans are cursing the Chiefs, as they get beaten to the punch once again in their bid to add their QB of the future (David Garrard obviously does not count). Offence was their focus last draft, so they will likely turn their attention to improving their pass rush with Coples.

1.09 Carolina Panthers Fletcher Cox DT, Mississippi State

Carolina is one of the tougher teams to mock this year, as they have a lot of needs throughout their lineup. The Panthers defensive front was sieve like at times last season. They may give Poe some thought here, but I think they will judge by the tape and take

Cox over Poe.

1.10 Buffalo Bills Riley Reiff OT, Iowa

I was originally mocking the Bills with a DE, but the additions of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson have swayed me. The Bills generally stick to their draft board regardless of depth at a given position, but this strategy hasnt done them a lot of favors lately, so I think they will change things up and draft for need by filling a long standing hole at OT.

1.11 Tamp Bay Buccaneers Luke Kuechly LB, Boston College

(To KC #5 / To TB #11 and #44)

I cant see Kuechly dropping much farther out of the top 10. He has been called one of the safest picks of the draft and the Bucs should be thrilled to get a player of his calibre and still pick up an early 2nd round pick in their trade down with the Chiefs.

1.12 Seattle Seahawks Melvin Ingram DE, South Carolina

Although Im sure the Seahawks would have loved for Kuechly to fall to them, they will still be quick to the podium for their claim on Ingram. He is the highest rated DE in the field and a steal at 12.

1.13 Arizona Cardinals Courtney Upshaw OLB, Alabama

Although they have up and coming starters already in place, a Ken Whisenhunt team can never have enough pass rushing OLBs on his team. Upshaw is the best pure pass rusher on the Cards draft board and a fairly easy pick to make.

1.14 St. Louis Rams Michael Floyd WR, Notre Dame

(To DAL - #33 and #39 / To STL - #14)

The Rams hid their love for Floyd while everyone was talking about them drafting Blackmon. Floyd will add a dynamic downfield threat for Bradford and compliment the half dozen slot receivers they currently have on the roster. The Cowboys are tempted to move down and add another pick from this deep draft class.

1.15 Philadelphia Eagles Michael Brockers DT, LSU

Andy Reid is nothing if not consistent, as he takes yet another interior lineman to compliment his current rotation. Brockers is an elite DT that will be brought on slowly in Andy Reids rotation, but should be contributing by mid-year.

1.16 New York Jets Jonathan Martin OT, Stanford

Im really torn on this pick, since the Jets have needs at a lot more positions than I thought. It is also hard to write down Martins name before DeCastro, but the direction of the Jets has me leaning toward them reaching here a little to fill their hole at RT.

1.17 Cincinnati Bengals David DeCastro OG, Stanford

The Bengals have already signed Travelle Wharton, but they get a complete steal and cant pass on the OG from Stanford who some are calling a cant miss prospect and future Pro Bowler.

1.18 San Diego Chargers Cordy Glenn OG/OT, Georgia

Although the Chargers could use some pass rush help on the defensive side of the ball, they cant afford to reach to fill a need. Instead the Chargers will take the versatile Glenn who could fill multiple spots on the offensive line.

1.19 Chicago Bears Mark Barron S, Alabama

The Bears had one of the worst pass defences in the league last year and need an influx of talent in the defensive backfield. Although safety isnt as highly regarded these days, Barron is just what the Bears need in the defensive backfield to stand up to the new breed of TE.

1.20 Tennessee Titans Dre Kirkpatrick CB, Alabama

The Titans strike me as one of the teams that could trade down into the early 2nd round, but I couldnt find them a legitimate trade partner. If they stick here, they should look for some help in the defensive backfield to make up for their free agent losses.

1.21 Cincinnati Bengals Stephon Gilmore CB, South Carolina

Gilmore is rising up a lot of draft boards the last few weeks and has both the size and speed to stand up to WRs in the AFC. The Bengals have received some CB help through free agency, but they cant put too much faith in Pacman.

1.22 Cleveland Browns Whiney Mercilus DE, Illilois

Mercilus has been climbing as of late and is a great fit for the Browns, who have had very little pass rush for the past few seasons. I was contemplating a trade down, but the Browns are going to have a hard enough time using all of the picks they already have.

1.23 Detroit Lions Mike Adams OT, Ohio State

The Lions cant afford not to draft a replacement at LT, if they want to keep Stafford alive. Adams is another player that has been slowly moving up draft boards as well lately and should be a slam dunk for the Lions.

1.24 Dallas Cowboys Dontari Poe DT, Memphis

(To PIT - #33 and #82 / To DAL - #24)

Pittsburgh got scooped by the Lions for the last of the top tier tackles, so they take the Cowboys offer to move back into the 1st round for the Poe. Dallas has to be thrilled with getting the additional 2nd round pick in the first trade and still getting the player they covet most.

1.25 Denver Broncos Jerel Worthy DT, Michigan State

Another tough team to mock after the Manning circus came to town. They could definitely use O-line help to protect their new investment, but if they want to compete this year, they better improve on the defensive line first.

1.26 Houston Texans Rueben Randle WR, LSU

I originally had the Texans going for a LB here to replace Ryans, but I cant see them heading into the season without bringing in at least one new offensive weapon for Shaub. Johnson has had a few seasons now with injuries and Kevin Walter doesnt scare anyone. Randle has surpassed Wright on many draft boards and should take the pressure off Johnson right away.

1.27 New England Nick Perry DE/OLB, USC

Perry is another versatile lineman for Belichick and company to use in their 3-4/4-3 hybrid model. With Mark Anderson leaving via free agency and Carter nursing an ACL, Perry should play a big role in 2012.

1.28 New York Jets Kendall Wright WR, Baylor

(To GB # 47 and #77 / To NYJ - #28)

Wright has slid a bit, but the slide will end with the Jets as they move up into the late 1st for his services. The Jets are in desperate need of a WR and paid the price to get Wright. The Packers add another pick to their stock and look to make more moves later.

1.29 Baltimore Ravens Donta Hightower LB, Alabama

The Ravens have to be ecstatic that Hightower is still available. Lewis is nearing the end of a great career and they need to find a replacement sooner rather than later. Hightower should become a triple digit tackler in a hurry.

1.30 Miami Dolphins Brock Osweiler QB, Arizona State

(To SF - #42, #73 / To MIA - #30)

Surprise! The Dolphins need to develop a young QB and Osweiler has some fantastic skills to work with, while Moore (or Garrard) holds down the fort. Miami decided to jump ahead of some other QB needy teams to make sure they get their guy. San Fran could afford to slide down a little and get an additional 3rd round pick.

1.31 New England Patriots Peter Konz C, Wisconsin

The Patriots tend to try and trade out of a draft spot like this for additional picks next year but cant find any trading partners this year, so they take the top player on their board at get excellent value.

1.32 New York Giants Doug Martin RB, Boise State

The Super Bowl champs need insurance at RB with Jacobs now long gone and Bradshaw continuing to battle his foot injury. This will drive fantasy footballers nuts but makes a lot of sense from a real football perspective.

1.33 Pittsburgh Steelers Coby Fleener TE, Stanford

(To DAL - #24 / To PIT - #33 and #82)

The Steelers are aging fast and have a surprising number of needs. They could go DT, CB, DE and both OG and OT. They are another team that usually sticks to their board closely, so I see Fleeener as the pick here despite their needs.

1.34 Indianapolis Colts Janoris Jenkins CB, North Alabama

Jenkins is apparently saying all of the right things in interviews to get over the character issues, so I do not see him sliding much farther than this, as there are too many CB needy teams like the Colts that could use a solid cover corner.

1.35 Minnesota Vikings Stephen Hill WR, Georgia Tech

Hill fills another Viking need on offence and is also arguably BPA.

1.36 Tampa Bay Buccaneers David Wilson RB, Virginia Tech

With Richardson unavailable in the 1st, the Bucs turn their attention to Wilson for their lightening to Blounts thunder.

1.37 Cleveland Browns Kevin Zeitler OG, Wisconsin

The Browns will build their offense around Richardson and to do that they need more girth in the middle. Although Weedon is available, I cant see the Browns putting their future in a 28 year old QB.

1.38 Jacksonville Jaguars Vinny Curry DE, Marshall

The Jaguars defence is pretty solid and is only a few pieces away from being fairly dominant. A DE like Curry who can get pressure off the edge is one of those pieces.

1.39 Dallas Cowboys Harrison Smith S, Notre Dame

(To STL - #14 / To DAL - #33 and #39)

Safety has been on the Cowboys radar for some time. Since they dont get Barron in the 1st, they are more than happy to tab Smith in the 2nd.

1.40 Green Bay Packers Shea McClellin DE/OLB, Boise State

(To CAR - #59 and #77 / To GB - #40)

The Packers will continue to use their multitude of picks to move up and down the draft board to get their man as they do here with McClellin. They badly need another pass rusher and McClellin was born to be a Packer.

1.41 Buffalo Bills Mohamed Sanu WR, Rutgers

Sanu can fill right in for the recently departed Roscoe Parrish and begin contributing on punt returns immediately. Hopefully he will grow into a greater role as a WR than Parrish did.

1.42 San Francisco 4pers Chandler Jones DE, Syracuse

(To MIA - #30 / To SF - #42 and #73)

The Niners dont have that many holes and can just look to improve overall depth. 3-4 defensive ends can be difficult to find, so Chandler looks to be a good bet here.

1.43 Seattle Seahawks Zach Brown OLB, North Carolina

The Hawks continue their rebuild of their defence with another solid player in Brown.

1.44 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Josh Robinson CB, UCF

Although Barber signed on for another year, they need to develop some young talent behind him.

1.45 Dallas Cowboys Amini Silatolu OG, Midwestern State

The Boys could use help at CB and OL, but go with the latter here. They can pick up a CB (or two) in the later rounds.

1.46 Philadelphia Eagles Lamar Miller RB, Miami

The Eagles have very little behind McCoy and cannot afford going into the season without a capable backup at RB.

1.47 Green Bay Packers Trumaine Johnson CB, Montana

(To NYJ - #28 / GB # 47 and #77)

Woodsons play has to decline sooner or later and the other young CBs didnt progress as much as the Pack would have liked.

1.48 New England Patriots Andre Branch OLB/DE, Clemson

The Patriots like to draft in pairs, so another pass rusher isnt out of the question.

1.49 New York Giants Devon Still DE/DT, Penn State

(To SD - #63 and #95 / To NYG - #49)

The Giants have had great success in constantly building their defensive line and will continue to do so this year. Still drops in this mock and the Giants move up to get him.

1.50 Chicago Bears Joe Looney OG, Wake Forest

Looney is a tough, hard nosed lineman that the Bears could use to bring this group together.

1.51 Philadelphia Eagles Bobbie Massie OT, Mississippi

They picked up free agents to fill in for Peters, but they still need future depth.

1.52 Tennessee Titans Alshon Jeffery WR, South Carolina

Collectively the Titans WR unit is one of the most inconspicuous in the league. With Jeffery and the return of Britt, that could change quickly.

1.53 Cincinnati Bengals Brandon Thompson DT, Clemson

Thompson is too good to pass up at this spot.

1.54 Detroit Lions - Josh Norman CB, Coastal Carolina

A bit of a reach here, but these small school guys always pop up on somebodys radar.

1.55 Atlanta Falcons Mitchell Schwartz OT, California

The Falcons are another team with a surprising number of needs, but will focus on filling their most pressing need positions.

1.56 Pittsburgh Steelers Alameda Taamu DT, Washington

Some players and teams just seem destined for each other and everything about this guy screams Steelers.

1.57 Denver Broncos - Brandon Weeden QB, Oklahoma State

At first glance this may seem like an odd pick, but the more I thought about it, the more I think Weeden is the perfect QB to sit behind Peyton.

1.58 Houston Texans Alfonso Denard CB, Nebraska

Denard can play the nickel for the Texans this year and possibly take over from Jackson next year.

1.59 Carolina Panthers Kelechi Osemele OT, Iowa State

(To GB - #40 / To CAR - #59 and #77)

The Panthers traded down to recoup their 3rd round pick and still obtain a rising prospect in Osmele.

1.60 Baltimore Ravens Jeff Allen OT, Illinois

Allen may not have the prototypical measurements you want in an OT, but he gets the job done and fills a need for the Ravens.

1.61 San Francisco 49ers James Brown OT/OG, Troy

Brown spent most of his time at OT, but the Niners will probably start him at OG.

1.62 New England Patriots Brandon Boykin CB, Georgia

This is probably the first of two CBs to be taken by the Pats this year.

1.63 San Diego Chargers LaMichael James RB, Oregon

The Chargers miss Sproles more than they let on.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.05 Kansas City Chiefs – Ryan Tanenhill QB, Texas A&M

(To TB – #11 and #44 / To KC – #5)

If last year taught us anything, it is that potential franchise QB’s will be overvalued in this new rookie salary cap era. I’m not going to tell you this is the right move, but I it won’t surprise when QB needy teams make a move in desperation. The Chiefs can’t be sold on Cassel as there long term answer at QB, so look for Tanenhill to learn the playbook this year and take over in 2013. Tampa Bay has made some great moves already this offseason and this is another move to continue to add an early 2nd round pick to add depth in key areas.
This just about made me throw up in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I understand your thought process on it and also understand that you don't agree with the notion of it happening. It would be a great tragedy if this were to happen in the real draft.

Nice job. :thumbup:

Hate the 49er trade down, doesn't seem like its realistic from the value chart at all.

(To SF - #72, #73 / To MIA - #30)

Interesting trades for the Cowboys. I think I'd generally be happy about it if they did those. Only change would be to take McClellin over Harrison Smith. They need passrush and don't value safety much.

Interesting trades for the Cowboys. I think I'd generally be happy about it if they did those. Only change would be to take McClellin over Harrison Smith. They need passrush and don't value safety much.
Yup, I'd tweak the players, but love the approach for Dallas. This is exactly what we are hoping for.Nice mock, thanks.

If last year taught us anything, it is that potential franchise QB’s will be overvalued in this new rookie salary cap era. I’m not going to tell you this is the right move, but I it won’t surprise when QB needy teams make a move in desperation. The Chiefs can’t be sold on Cassel as there long term answer at QB, so look for Tanenhill to learn the playbook this year and take over in 2013. Tampa Bay has made some great moves already this offseason and this is another move to continue to add an early 2nd round pick to add depth in key areas.
This just about made me throw up in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I understand your thought process on it and also understand that you don't agree with the notion of it happening. It would be a great tragedy if this were to happen in the real draft.
I'm a Raider fan so I don't mind if the Chiefs do this. I really think we saw just a glimpse last year and the new rookie pay scale will change things.

Something like this seems to happen every year. I was just excited to see a mock that didn't include Morris Claiborne as the Bucs' pick.I like Claiborne, but I really think TB is in a great spot to move down with a team looking to draft Blackmon or Tannehill.

Yup, I'd tweak the players, but love the approach for Dallas. This is exactly what we are hoping for.Nice mock, thanks.
Thanks! I think the Boys wiill be active traders this year in their attempt to target specific players (Poe being one of them). I agree with you on their usual approach to safety, but I'm hopeful they will see the error of their ways and understand the greater importance in the position now with the size/speed of this newest breed of TE. I also think the addition of Poe will benefit the pass rush, since it allow Ratliff to move to DE.

1.09 Carolina Panthers – Fletcher Cox DT, Mississippi State

Carolina is one of the tougher teams to mock this year, as they have a lot of needs throughout their lineup. The Panthers defensive front was sieve like at times last season. They may give Poe some thought here, but I think they will judge by the tape and take

Cox over Poe.
After seeing Poe (along with some WR picks that will never happen) in most drafts, I'm happy to see some different thoughts. I'm not a believe in Poe and hope he ends up somewhere other than Carolina.I think Cox would be a good pick.

1.09 Carolina Panthers – Fletcher Cox DT, Mississippi State

Cox over Poe.
After seeing Poe (along with some WR picks that will never happen) in most drafts, I'm happy to see some different thoughts. I'm not a believe in Poe and hope he ends up somewhere other than Carolina.I think Cox would be a good pick.
The part that most people don't seem to grasp about Poe is:-He played on an awful 2-10 Memphis team. He was game planned for.

-He was misused imo as a 5 technique DE in a 3-4 defense along with some time at NT. He was awful at DE and this is where all the "bad tape" comments come from.

-Watch him when he plays as a NT. He pushes double teams back and plays the run stoutly Guard to Guard.

-The knock about low motor is bunk. Watch game highlights...he is all over the field trying to make plays.

He is by no means perfect and there are flaws, but don't believe everything you hear this time of year.

He is a NT ideally, and could play DT in a 4-3.

I would be thrilled to trade down into the 20s to get this guy while picking up a 2nd.

Edit-found this from his position coach...very good read:

As much as anything, Poe was limited by Memphis' defensive scheme. His main job was to provide gap control, meaning he was supposed to occupy blockers while linebackers and safeties made tackles.

"Based on what Dontari was asked to do, he did the job," said Mike DuBose, former University of Alabama head coach who was the UofM's defensive line coach the last two seasons before being fired with previous head coach Larry Porter and the rest of Porter's staff after going 2-22. "He knew he could make plays if the scheme of our defense had been different, but he didn't complain about it. He was a team guy."

Interesting. I like that move by the Rams moving to get Floyd. Floyd and Claiborne would be some start to the Fisher era.

Interesting. I like that move by the Rams moving to get Floyd. Floyd and Claiborne would be some start to the Fisher era.
Yeah I really like that trade best. I'm not a Rams fan, but if they started the draft like that I think most fans would be thrilled.

Slick moves by the Rams you have there. I like it...

As a Lions fan, however, I pray we don't go Adams.

I think you have too many teams trading up at too small a price. As a vikes fan I'd be thrilled with Kalil and Hill.

I'd love it if the Seahawks went Ingram then Brown. This would be an ideal 1/2 rounds for them.

1.05 Kansas City Chiefs Ryan Tanenhill QB, Texas A&M

If last year taught us anything, it is that potential franchise QB's will be overvalued in this new rookie salary cap era. I'm not going to tell you this is the right move, but I it won't surprise when QB needy teams make a move in desperation. The Chiefs can't be sold on Cassel as there long term answer at QB, so look for Tanenhill to learn the playbook this year and take over in 2013. Tampa Bay has made some great moves already this offseason and this is another move to continue to add an early 2nd round pick to add depth in key areas.
I suggested the same trade in the bold predictions thread but did not add the terms of the deal on purpose to avoid contraversy. I was thinking it would require KC to give up their first next year and I would have a hard time defending the trade to KC fans. Then I thought what if Glenn Dorsey was part of the trade since Tampa needs a DT and he would be a better fit in Tampa's 43 Defense . Of course, I was not sure how Glenn Dorsey would go over with Buc fans. Then, I just gave up.

'Funkley said:
I think you have too many teams trading up at too small a price. As a vikes fan I'd be thrilled with Kalil and Hill.
I used the draft value chart, so most were in line with that .. although I realize that many teams have had to pay more than the draft value chart indicates. For the top picks I think teams will have to overpay, but for your run-of-the-mill trade up, I think the value chart is still a good indicator.

I just can't see the packers taking Trumaine Johnson over Andre branch. Branch would help them out a ton pass rushing and Woodson, tramon williams, and Sam shields can cover just fine

Poe is really unlikely to slip that far and if he does, there is zero chance Pittsburgh would trade down.
You are probably right and there certainly is a lot of talk about Poe (both positive and negative), but if Aaron Rodgers can drop that far than I'm pretty sure it is possible for Poe to do the same.

I just can't see the packers taking Trumaine Johnson over Andre branch. Branch would help them out a ton pass rushing and Woodson, tramon williams, and Sam shields can cover just fine
I have the Pack with McClellin alrready, which is why I passed on Branch and went with a CB. Apparently the Packers are pretty high on McClellin. My thinking behind the CB pick is not only Woodson's age, but Shields also seemed to regress a little last year.

I have the Pack with McClellin alrready, which is why I passed on Branch and went with a CB. Apparently the Packers are pretty high on McClellin. My thinking behind the CB pick is not only Woodson's age, but Shields also seemed to regress a little last year.
Ya I see the reason for it, but the packers need DE's and an OLB. Since they both can play either I think they could put them on the same side and that would be great. Great work on the mock though

If last year taught us anything, it is that potential franchise QB's will be overvalued in this new rookie salary cap era. I'm not going to tell you this is the right move, but I it won't surprise when QB needy teams make a move in desperation. The Chiefs can't be sold on Cassel as there long term answer at QB, so look for Tanenhill to learn the playbook this year and take over in 2013. Tampa Bay has made some great moves already this offseason and this is another move to continue to add an early 2nd round pick to add depth in key areas.
I suggested the same trade in the bold predictions thread but did not add the terms of the deal on purpose to avoid contraversy. I was thinking it would require KC to give up their first next year and I would have a hard time defending the trade to KC fans. Then I thought what if Glenn Dorsey was part of the trade since Tampa needs a DT and he would be a better fit in Tampa's 43 Defense . Of course, I was not sure how Glenn Dorsey would go over with Buc fans. Then, I just gave up.
This would have been a good idea, but TB signed Amobi Okoye over the weekend. Tampa now has three former 1st round picks and 2 former 2nd round picks in their defensive line rotation. :thumbup: I'd still like to see them move back a bit to a spot for Kuechly. I agree regarding the pick value. KC's #44 isn't enough to move up six spots in the first round.

This would have been a good idea, but TB signed Amobi Okoye over the weekend. Tampa now has three former 1st round picks and 2 former 2nd round picks in their defensive line rotation. :thumbup: I'd still like to see them move back a bit to a spot for Kuechly. I agree regarding the pick value. KC's #44 isn't enough to move up six spots in the first round.
Not trying to single you out, as this pertains to a lot of posters, but comments like this make me crazy. This is a mock draft in which the OP is trying to illustrate what will happen IN THIS DRAFT. Who cares if they even things out with a 3rd next year or what not. Again, I'm not trying to single you out personally, just trying to get people to lighten up a bit. This was as good a mock as I've seen and nit-picking things like this is really un-necessary.

Love the Cincy picks. First mock I've seen that hasn't stuck them with a RB or WR (or both) in the 1st and 2nd round.

These are obviously best guesses, but I think the trade chart that most teams work with is the best guage we have for assessing trades. The chart indicates the following values:#5 - 1700

#11 - 1250

#44 - 460

Based on the chart the trade is bang on value wise. Even looking at it from Tampa's perspective, if they are comfortable that they are going to get a stud like Kuechly (or others still remaining on the board at 11), as well as an additional early 2nd in what is a very deep draft, I'm not sure why they wouldn't jump at it.

Not trying to single you out, as this pertains to a lot of posters, but comments like this make me crazy. This is a mock draft in which the OP is trying to illustrate what will happen IN THIS DRAFT. Who cares if they even things out with a 3rd next year or what not. Again, I'm not trying to single you out personally, just trying to get people to lighten up a bit. This was as good a mock as I've seen and nit-picking things like this is really un-necessary.
No problem. I should have worded it differently. Atomic Punk even pointed out above the trade is equal according to the value chart. I complimented the draft in my first post in the thread. He did a nice job. Simply responding as a fan of the Buccaneers. I personally would want more to pass on a player like Claiborne, especially after what the Bucs have done in free agency. I no longer have the feeling they need extra picks to improve the team.

There are 5 elite prospects in this draft in my mind. Leaving one of them on the table at a position of need for an extra pick that is at best a dice roll is a mistake.

1.22 Cleveland Browns – Whiney Mercilus DE, Illilois

Mercilus has been climbing as of late and is a great fit for the Browns, who have had very little pass rush for the past few seasons. I was contemplating a trade down, but the Browns are going to have a hard enough time using all of the picks they already have.

1.23 Detroit Lions – Mike Adams OT, Ohio State

The Lions can’t afford not to draft a replacement at LT, if they want to keep Stafford alive. Adams is another player that has been slowly moving up draft boards as well lately and should be a slam dunk for the Lions.
Would surprise me if Browns passed on Adams as they have a gigantic hole at RT. Heckert has also spent the last two years addressing the DL so it's not top priority. They might add depth later with all their picks but I just don't see it coming in the first couple rounds.

The Lions can’t afford not to draft a replacement at LT, if they want to keep Stafford alive. Adams is another player that has been slowly moving up draft boards as well lately and should be a slam dunk for the Lions.
Would surprise me if Browns passed on Adams as they have a gigantic hole at RT. Heckert has also spent the last two years addressing the DL so it's not top priority. They might add depth later with all their picks but I just don't see it coming in the first couple rounds.
:goodposting: Heckert has also said he is ok with the current guards Pinkston and Lauvao.

Unless soemthing crazy happens where DeCastro slips to 22, I don't see any chance the Browns take a pure guard.

They need a RT badly, not a guard.

They might take DeCastro if he is there at 22 as BPA.

Wade is right no chance the Browns go D line in the 1st round.

The D is not the most pressing issue.

Getting a RT, gettting a RB, and some WR's are the bigegst neeeds.

Could the Browns deviate depending on who is on the board vs. Heckerts draft BPA philosophy? Sure.

I love your thoughts on Dallas moving down. I do think they will do it but with a team that is in the 15-20 range.

If they do that, they pick up a mid third rounder and still get a quality player. They could well do something with Cinn who has 17 & 21.

If Safety, Barron and Jenkins will be there.

Several OLB's available.

I could see Dallas sliding back twice and picking up (2) 3rd round picks to package later to move up in the second.

Good job!

:goodposting: Heckert has also said he is ok with the current guards Pinkston and Lauvao.

Unless soemthing crazy happens where DeCastro slips to 22, I don't see any chance the Browns take a pure guard.

Could the Browns deviate depending on who is on the board vs. Heckerts draft BPA philosophy? Sure.
My thinking with Cleveland was that they would go BPA considering their current status in the league basement. Overall their defence wasn't terrible, but they didn't get a lot of pressure or sacks last year (bottom third in both if memory serves) so I felt they could use an elite pass rusher like Mercilus. Given how the mock played out, going Adams/Curry instead of Mercilus/Zeitler would have been a fine haul too.

'BigDave said:
I love your thoughts on Dallas moving down. I do think they will do it but with a team that is in the 15-20 range. If they do that, they pick up a mid third rounder and still get a quality player. They could well do something with Cinn who has 17 & 21. If Safety, Barron and Jenkins will be there.Several OLB's available. I could see Dallas sliding back twice and picking up (2) 3rd round picks to package later to move up in the second. Good job!
Thanks and I agree completely with you. It really all depends on who exactly they are targeting and where they feel they can get him. Jones tends to target specific players and then try and move up and down the board to get them.

Nice mock....a lot of odd but interesting trades going on. Tannehill to KC trade/pick was genius to me and i haven't seen any mock that had that going on. Mike Adams and Courtney Upshaw went a bit early to me, but i appreciate the effort you went through to make such an interesting mock.

'smackdaddies said:
It's a fair mock. I do think the Pack are more likely to trade up than trade down however. They already have 11 picks
The extra draft choices for some teasm like the Pack (and Browns to a lesser degree) were making this more interesting. My guess with the Pack is that they will turn their multiple later round picks into additional or earlier thirds from pick needy teams OR 2013 picks. As an example, they could offer up their laate 3rd, 4th and 5th to the Redskins for the Skins early 3rd.

'smackdaddies said:
It's a fair mock. I do think the Pack are more likely to trade up than trade down however. They already have 11 picks
The extra draft choices for some teasm like the Pack (and Browns to a lesser degree) were making this more interesting. My guess with the Pack is that they will turn their multiple later round picks into additional or earlier thirds from pick needy teams OR 2013 picks. As an example, they could offer up their laate 3rd, 4th and 5th to the Redskins for the Skins early 3rd.
i agree. In fact, I would really like to see that. There looks to be a lot of good defensive help in this draft - The packers need a dl/olb/cb/safety. They walk out with four quality players they will own the nfc north. Well, they also need a center, but they have done pretty good things with that position later in the draft and there looks to be some options for them

'smackdaddies said:
'Atomic Punk said:
'smackdaddies said:
i agree. In fact, I would really like to see that. There looks to be a lot of good defensive help in this draft - The packers need a dl/olb/cb/safety. They walk out with four quality players they will own the nfc north. Well, they also need a center, but they have done pretty good things with that position later in the draft and there looks to be some options for them
They got jeff saturday at center

In these trades you basically have the Packers giving up the 28 and 59 for the 40 and 47. That does not equate to me as good deals for them.

And I can see Jacksonville being a target for KC(as I could see it happening) where they might give up less to get Tannehill. Jags than move down pick up an extra pick and get Floyd instead.

'smackdaddies said:
'Atomic Punk said:
'smackdaddies said:
They got jeff saturday at center
like i said, they need to draft a center

In these trades you basically have the Packers giving up the 28 and 59 for the 40 and 47. That does not equate to me as good deals for them.

And I can see Jacksonville being a target for KC(as I could see it happening) where they might give up less to get Tannehill. Jags than move down pick up an extra pick and get Floyd instead.
you are correct - that would put the packers 30 pts down. You would need to toss in a 5th round pick also to make the points even.

wouldn't Jacksonville trading down with KC make more sense?

1. TB, Stl, and Jax have QBs, so theres no need to trade up to #5 to snipe Miami

2. Imo there are 6 players in the top two tiers of this year's draft: Tier 1 is Luck/RGIII, and Tier 2 is Kalil/Claiborne/Richardson/Blackmon. If I'm TB I wouldn't want to trade out of the second tier for just a 2nd rounder.

4. Jacksonville needs a WR, but it seems to be a reach to take Floyd 7th.

My thinking with Cleveland was that they would go BPA considering their current status in the league basement. Overall their defence wasn't terrible, but they didn't get a lot of pressure or sacks last year (bottom third in both if memory serves) so I felt they could use an elite pass rusher like Mercilus. Given how the mock played out, going Adams/Curry instead of Mercilus/Zeitler would have been a fine haul too.
:Browns fan: It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Heckert draft an offensive guard or defensive end in the 1st round. It's not like there are Hall of Famers in those spots right now. I honestly think Heckert will be wheeling and dealing in this draft after 1.04... should be interesting.Btw, great mock. I don't read every thread here, but I do believe this is the best mock I've read here at Football Guys.

wouldn't Jacksonville trading down with KC make more sense?1. TB, Stl, and Jax have QBs, so theres no need to trade up to #5 to snipe Miami2. Imo there are 6 players in the top two tiers of this year's draft: Tier 1 is Luck/RGIII, and Tier 2 is Kalil/Claiborne/Richardson/Blackmon. If I'm TB I wouldn't want to trade out of the second tier for just a 2nd rounder.4. Jacksonville needs a WR, but it seems to be a reach to take Floyd 7th.
1. Teams trade up not only to jump ahead of other teams needing QB that are already slotted into a draft position, but also to ensure they get in front of other teams that may also trade up. I don't think KC would be willing to give up their 2013 1st, so they couldn't trade up any farther than 5th, so that leaves 5th, 6th and 7th to get ahead of the Fins. I didn't see STL wanting to drop out of the top 6, which only leaves the Jaguars and they aren't known for their wheeling and dealing on draft day. It is just guess work, but I don't see Claiborne and Blackmon fitting with TB and thought they could use the extra 2nd.2. You are awesoming all teams have the same tier and all want the same players. Many teams may have Floyd higher than Blackmon and may have DT's in their top 6, so any team trading down would be based on whether they could still get their targeted player.4. As I said above, some teams will have Floyd above Blackmon and many top scouts and talking heads are now saying Floyd should be in the top 10, so I don't think it is that far fetched.

Users who are viewing this thread