What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Attn: Anyone run a Dynasty League? (1 Viewer)

00bolt

Footballguy
I have been playing fantasy football now with the same group of guys for almost 10 years now. About 3 years ago we decided to make our league a keeper league. We have been doing that now going into our 4th year. Its fun and we enjoy it. But recently we have ran into some problems that has stirred up some controversy.

Our keeper deadline is Aug 1st, and our draft is Aug 26th. Well PRIOR to our keeper deadline we have allowed trades. Just last week I traded Carson Palmer for a guys 2nd round draft pick. I wasn't planning on keeping Palmer, so I thought why not trade for whatever I can get in return. The other guy is now keeping Palmer as a keeper... Well I also have Marion Barber who Im not keeping and another owner expressed interest in trading for him before August 1st comes... I said sure, why not? Just make me an offer...

Well other owners are getting upset. Not really because they are jelous but because they think its not good for the league. I agree and disagree with their thoughts. I mean if I were to trade Barber for say a 10th round draft pick (just an example).. I would get a draft pick for free so of course why not for me? But others argue its not worth it, your improving other teams and lessening the value of the draft for little gain... all in all, its hurting the league...

So for the past couple days I have been trying to come up with solutions to fix the problem. The only real way I came up with an answer is:

1. Lock down rosters prior to keeper selection date. So only trading will be allowed AFTER we have selected 3 keepers. Then no more trading away players we weren't going to keep for anything in return...

2. Convert keeper league to a Dynasty league. This is my favorite idea. I love the thought of keeping our entire roster, drafting rookies and free agents only. It takes alot more attention and preparation. Just think, right now a guy like Mike Stanton wouldn't even be owned in our league most likely... but in a Dynasty league he would certainly be owned and also have value

So Im proposing the Dynasty league to others but Im not sure how to propose it. Im not 100% certain on the rules and how exactly they work. Do you have larger rosters? How does draft work, when you draft rookies, do you just drop players from your current roster? anything else? Any special rules or exceptions? Id love to hear how your Dynasty League works.... thanks

2. Convert keeper league to a Dynasty league. This is my favorite idea. I love the thought of keeping our entire roster, drafting rookies and free agents only. It takes alot more attention and preparation. Just think, right now a guy like Mike Stanton wouldn't even be owned in our league most likely... but in a Dynasty league he would certainly be owned and also have value

So Im proposing the Dynasty league to others but Im not sure how to propose it. Im not 100% certain on the rules and how exactly they work. Do you have larger rosters? How does draft work, when you draft rookies, do you just drop players from your current roster? anything else? Any special rules or exceptions? Id love to hear how your Dynasty League works.... thanks
:sarcasm: Right there. Dynasty is the way to go. It's your team to build.Anyway,

1. We carry 4 QBs, 6 RBs, 8 WR/TEs, 2 Ks and 2 Ds. Start 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WR/TEs, 1 flex, 1 K, 1 D. Team defense, no IDPs.

2. We draft at the end of August/beginning of Sept. with cut down day usually a week to two weeks before the draft.

3. The draft is focused mainly on the rookies. The first 15 or so picks are all rookies. Then there are the few vets/kickers/defenses that slipped through the cracks the year before. Most drafts fade fast through the 4th and into the 5th. Only the really awful teams are still drafting that late.

4. You may keep or drop as many players as you like.

5. One special rule we have is an IR spot. If you lose a star player to injury, you can stash him in IR for the year and fill his spot with a replacement from the waiver wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too much different than a keeper (I don't think, never been in a keeper). Basically, as has been mentioned the draft is basically a rookie draft since most decent NFL players are taken. You'll see a stray NFL player get taken who moved to a better situation or something but mostly it's rookies, especially in the first couple of rounds. We expand our roster at the draft and then are required to get down to our league roster size of 18 before the first game.

What are you league rules in regards to trading? And I'll be honest if they think your trading is watering

down the veterans draft wait until you pitch the Dynasty league format to them. Every keeper league I

have been in allows you to trade guys you arent going to keep for veteran picks. Think of it this way,

are you really helping other teams? Yes in the sense that they are receiving quality keepers but you are

crippling their draft by taking their picks,good for you! I honestly think they're upset that you came up with it first.

Hi there,

we have a Dynasty league running since 3 years now. It's much more fun (for me) than any re-draft or keeper-league i am in.

During the season we have a roster of 30 players and are allowed to keep 17 of them for the next year. Three of them MUST be rookies from the previous year. Our draft basically is a rookie-draft then since 170 veterans (10 team league) are already locked up.

Our draft date is mostly between mid august and beginning of september and our dynasty players must be named one week prior to the draft.

We tried to install a rule for injured reserve players as well but came up short realizing this. Maybe next year.

Cheers

Filterkippe

I run a Dynasty League and we are entering year 4. We have a 21 player roster with 10 owners. We also utilize the IR position, but only if the player is designated IR by his NFL team. We start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/K/DEF/OFF. The only roster limits is that you can have no more than 3 Def/K/OFF, all other positions are unlimited. During the season, all owners must have 21 players on their roster at all times. In the off-season you can drop below.

The off-season does not allow for free agent waivers, but free trading. We break up our draft into 4 months. The NFL Draft is in late April, so we have Rd1 in May, Rd2 in June, Rd3 in July, and Rd4 immediately following the last pre-season game. This allows owners to do homework on rookies, free agents, and even gives 4th rd picks value because that is the only rd drafted after the pre-season, when you see who emerges out of no where, or gets hurt for the season.

Using this format has led to the best league I have ever been in, and all of the other owners say the same. Keeping your entire team and being able to even trade future draft picks really opens things up so much more. We allow future draft pick trades up to 3 years in advance, but that seasons dues must be paid for the trade to be approved.

Hope that helps!

What are you league rules in regards to trading? And I'll be honest if they think your trading is watering

down the veterans draft wait until you pitch the Dynasty league format to them. Every keeper league I

have been in allows you to trade guys you arent going to keep for veteran picks. Think of it this way,

are you really helping other teams? Yes in the sense that they are receiving quality keepers but you are

crippling their draft by taking their picks,good for you! I honestly think they're upset that you came up with it first.
:lmao: I completely agree. I do it too."I'm gonna cut Dominic Rhodes anyway. Maybe I'll call the Lamont Jordan owner and offer him to him for a 5th..."

1. Lock down rosters prior to keeper selection date. So only trading will be allowed AFTER we have selected 3 keepers. Then no more trading away players we weren't going to keep for anything in return...
In case you decide not to go the Dynasty route, I'm in a keeper league that does something like this, and it's worked well for us. We allow trades prior to the keeper deadline, but if you trade a player you are essentially declaring him as your keeper. So you can't trade one of your RB's, and then keep another one (we keep one player at each position).Basically it's like what you've suggested, except trading is allowed all off-season, as long as you declare your keepers before the trade is made.

Users who are viewing this thread