What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aunt Jemima. Uncle Ben’s. Now Eskimo Pies. When will Redskins change their name? (1 Viewer)

If you want to be semantic police, go right ahead. 

Jeez, man.... :lol:
It was actually a little tongue in cheek, sort of making a point about the whole thing. Which is, you'll never make everyone happy. That was why I added the "I think" on the end, hoping to make it obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
what about sitting 'indian style'? is that still allowed? :oldunsure:
Cross-legged.  :shrug:   Although after sitting on the floor that way for a while, I do have some no-so-nice words for the originators when I get up.  "who the #### ever thought this was a good idea?"  

My kid only sat criss-cross applesauce in preschool, and she just turned 21, so that's been a while. Thought it sounded weird way back then, but she still turned out okay.  

jhib said:
My kid only sat criss-cross applesauce in preschool, and she just turned 21, so that's been a while. Thought it sounded weird way back then, but she still turned out okay.  
That's awful. Tribe would never have "Now sit Indian style as we recite these hits"

Who dat who dat who do dat dat dat

ah yes, newspeak
Still such a stunning book, all these years later. We by Zamyatin certainly influenced 1984, but the latter's depiction is all the more shocking in its prescience and detail. Actually, where We had dealt with the limitations of quantification, math, and reason on the collective, Orwell foresaw nationalist/internationalist ones that embraced power above all things. If reason fell by the wayside, then it must. If collectivism fell by the wayside and was ineffective, then we must embrace individual punishments to destroy individual attachments. Unlike Zamyatin's musings on utopia, power is the end in Big Brother's society, imagined more in terms of a modern conception of punishment and retribution, two impetuses to action that are indispensable to the Party.  

Just your quick book review from your Uncle Rock.

2+2=5.

ah yes, newspeak
I actually think a bigger newspeak has been happening more casually in our world. Nouns becoming verbs, combo nicknames of J-Lo or  A-Rod, shortening of language, text style writing/speech that has less grammar, words and requires directness and simplicity. Less variety of thought can be expressed with character counts. Emojis and gifs replacing written communication, etc 

What a fascinating political strategy.  I know Trump has no idea what is going on and really doesn't care to, so i assume this is Miller's doing?  As POTUS, why be involved in, what should be, petty nonsense?
Oh Mojo Jojo. You ask wrong question in wrong forum. Godspeed you black emperor and that's thirty lashes never to be spoken of again. 

Oh Mojo Jojo. You ask wrong question in wrong forum. Godspeed you black emperor and that's thirty lashes never to be spoken of again. 
I know, I know, but sports team names?  I mean, isn't there bigger fish to fry out there?  I.E.  If i try to commit suicide with a noose, am i a racist or suicidal?  I.E. 75-80% of NBA players are african american, which doesn't fairly represent the population of the U.S., but there is no outrage. 

I know, I know, but sports team names?  I mean, isn't there bigger fish to fry out there?  I.E.  If i try to commit suicide with a noose, am i a racist or suicidal?  I.E. 75-80% of NBA players are african american, which doesn't fairly represent the population of the U.S., but there is no outrage. 
I think COVID might have melted some of our brains. What is this post? Move it to a different forum. 

I seriously just wanted to comment on your avatar in Mojo's voice for any reason these past few weeks.

I think COVID might have melted some of our brains. What is this post? Move it to a different forum. 
Point is, who decides what is and isn't racist?  Why do we care about some things and not others?  Why does this country remain so stupid?  We can dig up something to be outraged about everything, is that what this country is about?  All that we are creating is more division and exclusion.  Personally, i don't want to be involved in anything anymore and i don't want to engage with nor talk to anyone, lest my opinion not conform to someone's.  Going off on a tangent, my area held a black farmer's market.  Am i allowed to go?  How will i be perceived?  Will i be accepted, will i be applauded for being inclusionary or will i be treated hostile as someone with white guilt?  My personal feelings about life have been that i really don't care what you do, black, white, indian, LBGT.....i have my own stuff going on.  Am i now being asked to choose a so called side?  Can i be outraged about things or am i not allowed?   Why are sports intertwined with the military?  Why are we as a nation woke about certain things, but not others?   Let me know what forum i should post this in.  Also, you can put me on ignore if that helps.

Point is, who decides what is and isn't racist? 
There is no officially governing body. Everyone decides for themselves. 

Why do we care about some things and not others?  Why does this country remain so stupid?  We can dig up something to be outraged about everything, is that what this country is about?  All that we are creating is more division and exclusion. 
Different people have different opinions or areas they are concerned with. Some are worried about Christians and gun owners being discriminated against, others are worried about LGBTQ discrimination, some about reverse discrimination, some about environmental destruction, some about abortion, some about women's rights. There are lots of people with lots of areas of interest. Some are doing it just to gain a following, money, sell a product, etc. A long history of human behavior reveals that one of the best ways to create a unified base is to pinpoint a common enemy. 

Personally, i don't want to be involved in anything anymore and i don't want to engage with nor talk to anyone, lest my opinion not conform to someone's.  Going off on a tangent, my area held a black farmer's market.  Am i allowed to go?  How will i be perceived?  Will i be accepted, will i be applauded for being inclusionary or will i be treated hostile as someone with white guilt? 
Interesting. I have never encountered anything in my day to day life remotely like the "discourse" on social media. Most people are pretty tolerant of hearing different ideas, are willing to listen or disagree in a calm manner. I am pretty sure the black farmers would welcome your business since they are there trying to make money. I think you are way way way overthinking things. 

My personal feelings about life have been that i really don't care what you do, black, white, indian, LBGT.....i have my own stuff going on.  Am i now being asked to choose a so called side?  Can i be outraged about things or am i not allowed?   Why are sports intertwined with the military?  Why are we as a nation woke about certain things, but not others?   Let me know what forum i should post this in.  Also, you can put me on ignore if that helps.
I think your life philosophy is good and represents a very large portion of Americans. Just live your life, be empathetic, open to learning and be kind. If you want to also support some kind of cause, go for it. 

Blackhawks release team statement:

The Chicago Blackhawks name and logo symbolizes an important and historic person, Black Hawk of Illinois’ Sac & Fox Nation, whose leadership and life has inspired generations of Native Americans, veterans and the public.

We celebrate Black Hawk’s legacy by offering ongoing reverent examples of Native American culture, traditions and contributions, providing a platform for genuine dialogue with local and national Native American groups. As the team’s popularity grew over the past decade, so did that platform and our work with these important organizations.

We recognize there is a fine line between respect and disrespect, and we commend other teams for their willingness to engage in that conversation.

Moving forward, we are committed to raising the bar even higher to expand awareness of Black Hawk and the important contributions of all Native American people.

We will continue to serve as stewards of our name and identity, and will do so with a commitment to evolve. Our endeavors in this area have been sincere and multi-faceted, and the path forward will draw on that experience to grow as an organization and expand our efforts.

The Chicago Blackhawks name and logo symbolizes an important and historic person, Black Hawk of Illinois’ Sac & Fox Nation, whose leadership and life has inspired generations of Native Americans, veterans and the public.

We celebrate Black Hawk’s legacy by offering ongoing reverent examples of Native American culture, traditions and contributions, providing a platform for genuine dialogue with local and national Native American groups. As the team’s popularity grew over the past decade, so did that platform and our work with these important organizations.

We recognize there is a fine line between respect and disrespect, and we commend other teams for their willingness to engage in that conversation.

Moving forward, we are committed to raising the bar even higher to expand awareness of Black Hawk and the important contributions of all Native American people.

We will continue to serve as stewards of our name and identity, and will do so with a commitment to evolve. Our endeavors in this area have been sincere and multi-faceted, and the path forward will draw on that experience to grow as an organization and expand our efforts.
Plus, those road unis.

Pigskins. Huh, that actually makes some sense. More robust than just "Hogs," and allows retention of the "Skins" nickname in a much better way.

Highly unlikely. Much safer to go with "cross criss cross apple sauce." Though that does promote the senseless slaughter of apples.
Fixed, you mashed Malus monster.

Plus, those road unis.
I've been cognizant of the Blackhawks; outreaches to national and local native organizations to raise the right kind of awareness. They shouldn't be immune to thinking about change, and have recently come under fire for their logo from the American Indian Center of Chicago, so maybe reverting to the original name Black Hawks to make the tie back to the Sauk chief tighter is one change. Altering their cartoonish logo is another, as hard as that would be for many to see an Original 6 uni change. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Washington is planning to remove all Native American imagery.

Long overdue, but everything is trending towards Washington owner Dan Snyder finally moving towards a new team name and logo. It's unclear when things will be announced and what the mascot will actually be, but anything is an upgrade. Despite decades worth of ignoring discussions from the Native American community, Snyder was completely against changing his team's name up until the point he was set to lose money from his top team sponsorships. FedEx, who owns the naming rights to Washington's stadium, was the first to publicly request a name change. Since then, Nike, Amazon, and other outlets have pulled Washington merchandise from it's stores.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 8, 2020, 5:30 PM ET

The usual suspects still holding on but there are no racist/bigots on this board. I'm sitting back and taking it all in.

Psychopav said:

I might be mistaken but they’re actually named after a military regiment that was named after Black Hawk. Either way, I’m happy with they’re response. 

USA Today's Mike Jones reports Washington owner Dan Snyder will announce a name change for the organization on Monday.

After 21 years and a handful of fights to keep the team's racist moniker alive, Snyder's ignorance will finally be toppled by those — Nike, FedEx, the United States Congress — who filled his pockets with team sponsorships in the first place. Not only will the organization finally retire the slur on Monday morning, Jones reports the team will announce its new name immediately thereafter. The Red Tails, Red Wolves, and Washington Warriors have all been rumored. This is a night to celebrate for years to come.

SOURCE: Mike Jones on Twitter

Jul 12, 2020, 10:22 PM ET

Seems like a name like the Red Raiders, which seemingly honors the slaughtered Indians, would be more offensive than team names which pay homage to Indians.  

friend of mine is a huge Redskins fan- his basement has tons of TVs and all kind of pennants, jerseys, signs etc for the Washington Redskins-  not to mention clothing and hats..  is he, as well as all the other fans still allowed to wear their Redskin gear, or will they shamed and cancelled by the internet mob??   

Users who are viewing this thread