What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Automation and AI will require a fundamental rethinking of politics, especially by conservatives (1 Viewer)

One area where this will get interesting is long haul trucking. It may take years before it happens, but it will be automated eventually, replacing millions of truckers with robots and also wiping out many of the related business and small towns that are built up along freeways and highways. 
I'm going to show this post to the next truck stop hooker I see. It's never too early to plan a career change.

I think there are likely some things the government could do that would require taxation and heavy regulation of the business world in order to protect workers.

However, do you believe conservatives are supportive of such considerations?
These costs will just fall on the end user.  It'll also make competition in robotic industry more cost-prohibitive for people who can't afford to comply, leaving us with a bunch of Skynet Mondo Corps running the world.  Let the market work one time 

https://imgur.com/a/Cw2SL

BIG is the only thing that will prevent educated, formerly upper-middle class men from arming up and taking from the 1%'ers. The French Revolution's got nothing on the unrest to come.

I think there are likely some things the government could do that would require taxation and heavy regulation of the business world in order to protect workers.

However, do you believe conservatives are supportive of such considerations?
These costs will just fall on the end user.  It'll also make competition in robotic industry more cost-prohibitive for people who can't afford to comply, leaving us with a bunch of Skynet Mondo Corps running the world.  Let the market work one time 

https://imgur.com/a/Cw2SL
The market is incapable of handling certain things.  It's very good at doing others.

One thing it's very good at doing is forcing companies to squeeze out more efficiency from their labor in order to make more profits.  More output per unit of labor.  If robots/AI offer every company that currently uses low-skill, low-education labor to automate their workforces, the forces of the free market will push those companies to automate and become more efficient and profitable.  

Along the way, hundreds of thousands of folks lose their jobs and with industries across the country all automating the low-skill, low-education jobs, where do these guys go?  

The free market isn't some magical concept that, left unchecked or unregulated, inevitably results in good living conditions for all people.  That's not what it does, and in this case, the forces of the free market will likely result in a huge % of Americans being unemployable.  Then no matter how cheap the products become, if you're not making any income, you're not affording anything...unless, of course, we rethink politics and our assumptions around what makes someone valuable and worthy of food, shelter, healthcare in our society when working for a wage is just not a reasonable option anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an interesting topic.  I think people are coming at it with many preconceived notions, most of which will turn out to be false or irrelevant.  Most of what will happen is still a mystery, but the pessimists generally speak loudest and therefore are most easily heard.

It is entirely possible that the AI and automation revolution means a drastic reduction in consumer prices, so much so that even a barely employed person could live a middle-class lifestyle.  The key to anyone who is afraid of this is to become an investor.  If you think this will be a terrible thing that will displace millions and create chaos, etc., then your best defense is to invest in the corporations that will be ruling the world.  If you can't work, you can earn profits. 

I understand why people are afraid of this.  I don't think you are wrong to be concerned, but these changes have been occurring throughout history.  They are just accelerating now (and will likely continue to do so).  Most of this change, while disruptive, has been for the greater good of humanity.  I think it is less likely to suddenly be terrible for humanity than many people think.

The market is incapable of handling certain things.  It's very good at doing others.

One thing it's very good at doing is forcing companies to squeeze out more efficiency from their labor in order to make more profits.  More output per unit of labor.  If robots/AI offer every company that currently uses low-skill, low-education labor to automate their workforces, the forces of the free market will push those companies to automate and become more efficient and profitable.  

Along the way, hundreds of thousands of folks lose their jobs and with industries across the country all automating the low-skill, low-education jobs, where do these guys go?  

The free market isn't some magical concept that, left unchecked or unregulated, inevitably results in good living conditions for all people.  That's not what it does, and in this case, the forces of the free market will likely result in a huge % of Americans being unemployable.  Then no matter how cheap the products become, if you're not making any income, you're not affording anything...unless, of course, we rethink politics and our assumptions around what makes someone valuable and worthy of food, shelter, healthcare in our society when working for a wage is just not a reasonable option anymore.
I think you're talking about two different things here. I agree that human value shouldn't be derived from output of goods/services/production, and I'd hazard a guess most fiscal types feel the same way too.  There's a difference between having a sense of humanity and thinking the welfare state is a self-feeding cycle that destroys the concept of self-reliance.  

The other thing you're talking about- automated corporations displacing workers- is usually backed by this idea that corporations can run over the working class with no consequence.  The problem with that is they have to provide a marketable good/service that people are willing to buy voluntarily before they can turn a profit.  And if someone is making them more affordably, more friendly to the workers, more consciously of the environment, then people are going to buy there and divest from the other.  It's easier than ever for consumers to make an informed decision about who they are buying stuff from.  

I think you're talking about two different things here. I agree that human value shouldn't be derived from output of goods/services/production, and I'd hazard a guess most fiscal types feel the same way too.  There's a difference between having a sense of humanity and thinking the welfare state is a self-feeding cycle that destroys the concept of self-reliance.  

The other thing you're talking about- automated corporations displacing workers- is usually backed by this idea that corporations can run over the working class with no consequence.  The problem with that is they have to provide a marketable good/service that people are willing to buy voluntarily before they can turn a profit.  And if someone is making them more affordably, more friendly to the workers, more consciously of the environment, then people are going to buy there and divest from the other.  It's easier than ever for consumers to make an informed decision about who they are buying stuff from.  
There will always be some conscious consumers willing to pay more for goods and services knowing that workers are treated better, the environment benefits, blah, blah, blah.... But history has shown that most consumers will buy the lower priced option without much thought at all. 

Jobber said:
BIG is the only thing that will prevent educated, formerly upper-middle class men from arming up and taking from the 1%'ers. The French Revolution's got nothing on the unrest to come.
I know, I hope I'm around for it. :pickle:

I WILL BURN #### DOWN!!!!

I'm not trying to demonize corporations here...but it's certainly worth thinking about...along the lines of Bill Gates suggestion to tax robotic equivalent work units of humans, and use that revenue to provide services for the displaced workers.  Because if you don't do that, then you're transferring the wealth from the workers to the corporations, and the workers have no where else to go to find employment to provide for themselves or their families.
This is where the burning starts.

Agreed that both parties need to change their thinking, but one party is exceptionally focused on your ability to afford things dictating basic human services like eating, healthcare, and shelter.  One party is fixated on ending entitlements, and it's largely based on a thought that "you didn't earn that".
Which party is this?  The Libertarian Party?

They don't count as a party.  There are only two :), and one of them thinks entitlements is a dirty word.  They're going to have to rethink that soon.
You must not have got the memo.  The CEO of the Grand Orange Party and his toadies and lickspittles have said SS and Medicare are untouchable.

If only we had a major party with the cajones to rip the guts out of the welfare and administrative states.

First of all, people have already been killed by self driving cars. I recall a Tesla crashing into the the bed of a truck that was crossing a highway at an intersection because the Tesla computer thought it looked like an overpass.

The reason they won't be sued out of existence is the data showing that computers are safer drivers than people are, despite the fact that even computers can make mistakes too. When the populace accepts the truth that we are all safer with computers doing the driving as opposed to humans doing the driving, the future arrives.
The pathing for the current testing is very specific and constantly monitored.  These cars can't safely operate in a true autonomous fashion yet.

You must not have got the memo.  The CEO of the Grand Orange Party and his toadies and lickspittles have said SS and Medicare are untouchable.

If only we had a major party with the cajones stupidity, irresponsibility, irrationality, and cold-heartedness to rip the guts out of the welfare and administrative states.
Fixed

Users who are viewing this thread