What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Axios: Democrats Fear MAGA Republican Kari Lake Could Be Arizona's Next Governor (10/21/22 01:52 PST) (1 Viewer)

GordonGekko

Footballguy
Direct Headline: Dems fear Kari Lake could be Arizona's governor—and a major MAGA star

Jonathan Swan Alexi McCammond Oct 15, 2022

....Democratic Party strategists are watching Arizona's Kari Lake with growing alarm....Why it matters: As some see it, Lake....could easily win the state's gubernatorial race and threaten its 2024 election processes. And with the talent she's already displayed even as a political novice, they see her potential to soar to a vice presidential spot or a post-Trump presidential candidacy.

.....What they're saying: David Plouffe, the architect of Barack Obama's 2008 victory, told Axios that Lake looks like a "plausible presidential candidate.".... David Axelrod, another key former Obama adviser, offered this assessment of Lake's 20+ years in Arizona local TV before her entrance last year into politics: "If you get a candidate who has the performance skills of a major-market local TV anchor and the philosophy and thinking of Steve Bannon, that's a potent and dangerous combination. ...."

....Lake is skilled at creating viral moments by dressing down reporters and eviscerating the mainstream media.....The 53-year-old former news anchor left journalism altogether in 2021, saying she didn't like how much media has changed since she started.....Behind the scenes: Lake has other advantages that are less visible. Unlike Mastriano, she has been embraced by top figures in the Republican establishment. She is benefiting from their money and connections. Doug Ducey, Arizona's outgoing GOP governor and chair of the Republican Governors Association, opposed Lake in her primary. But now, he's backing her with great energy. Lake has also charmed Arizona GOP donors, including members of the state's political establishment, according to sources who have witnessed the interactions. In private meetings and on calls with donors, RGA officials have made clear they are prepared to spend aggressively to get Lake across the finish line. "Voters have a clear choice and we're confident they'll make Kari Lake their next governor...."

Between the lines: If Lake wins the governorship, Democrats anticipate that her future endorsements will be sought after, that she will be giving fiery speeches around the country, and that she will have a standing invitation on Fox News. Her absence of governing experience and decades of daily TV experience make her a perfect match for aspects of this political moment....."That's what's changed a lot in our politics. There's a performance aspect to it in both parties... you don't have to sit around for 20 years building your case....If you've got something compelling to say and you can organize a campaign online, you're a plausible presidential candidate....."

The bottom line: Former senior Hillary Clinton adviser Karen Finney said Lake represents "a more polished version" of MAGA.....I'm sure a big part of why Trump likes her is that TV experience...."

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/15/kari-lake-arizona-trump-midterm-elections-maga

VIDEO: Full interview with gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake Oct 17, 2022 ABC15 Arizona

ABC15’s Mark Phillips interviews Kari Lake about what she considers the most important issues are during this election season. Lake is facing Katie Hobbs in the governor race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOl02Z6VSjM

VIDEO: Krystal Ball: CNN GOBSMACKED By Dem Hypocrisy on Stop the Steal Jul 26, 2022 Breaking Points

Krystal takes a deeper look at the Democrats hypocritical funding of stop the steal GOP primary candidates that even drew criticism from CNN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67OG7Ajg_jE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTKfGs7jc5M

TWEET/VIDEO: Kari Lake XX@XX KariLake

Governor Candidate, AZ

Let's talk about "Election Deniers." I brought receipts.

9:09 AM · Oct 18, 2022

https://twitter.com/karilake/status/1582403573811318784

“Unfortunately, I’m running against a coward who’s afraid to stand on the debate stage and talk about what she wants to do for Arizona....And unfortunately, PBS and ASU have done a backroom deal with that coward to give her airtime that she does not deserve....I need to remind people that it is we, the taxpayers, who own PBS and who own ASU. This is not the DNC that owns this, and what’s going on here is absolutely wrong....” - Arizona Republican Kari Lake on Democratic candidate for Arizona Governor Katie Hobbs outright refusing to debate Lake.

“Let’s talk about election deniers, here’s 150 examples of Democrats denying election results....Oh wow, look at this, this is from Joe Biden’s press secretary: ‘reminder, Brian Kemp stole the gubernatorial election from Georgians and Stacey Abrams,’ a Democrat saying that, an election denier!....Oh look at this, ‘just heard Republican Ryan Costello said it would be difficult for Stacey Abrams to win because she lost her state bid, but she’s still claiming she never lost'.....Hillary Clinton: ‘Trump is an illegitimate President’...So it’s okay for Democrats to question elections but it’s not okay for Republicans? It’s crock of BS, everyone knows it, we have our freedom of speech and we’re not gonna relinquish it to a bunch of fake news propagandists....” - Kari Lake, on the campaign trail for Arizona Governor, answering questions about accusations that she's an "election denier", 10/18/22

Breaking Points Krystal Ball correctly assessed that Team Blue infusing millions in campaign contributions and running ads in SUPPORT of certain GOP primary candidates, including Lake, in the hopes of elevating Republicans who would be easier to beat in later elections could backfire.

And it has, at minimum, when one looks at Arizona's Governor race and former media star, Kari Lake. Even Obama's majordomo, David Axelrod, points out that Lake has put herself in a position to be a potential quick strike VPOTUS candidate and represents a dangerous challenger to the Democratic Party and it's platform and messaging. Lake understands the ins and outs of the media optics world, and she still has allies, albeit some more quiet about it, in that industry, and is wildly effective at getting her message, counter narratives and platform out into the national daily media cycle.

Where this gets interesting is Lake is showing a test case for a new modern kind of future political candidate. One less invested in the more traditional political route ( think of Nikki Haley) and leaning more on experienced media savvy and long standing "name brand" recognition. Here is where Donald Trump is "not right" but where he has a point that is being ignored by the left leaning activist complicit MSM. While I'm not a fan of Herschel Walker and Dr Oz as candidates, their long standing exposure to the American public does create many practical advantages in a campaign. But it's push/pull, because their public scandals and failure are also impossible to hide.

The ABC15 Arizona interview has Lake keeping it simple. Talking about women's rights, affordable housing, cost of living, border security and drug addiction issues in her state. She has the advantage of simply opposing everything that Biden has done in the last two years, which is political Kryptonite for Katie Hobb's chances.

Kari Lake is completely dangerous. She's in her early 50s so her window to rise politically beyond Governor is extremely narrow. That means she's in a high risk/high reward type of situation. She's got nothing to lose by going for broke here. Now whether Lake is dangerous against the context of the entire Republic remains to be seen. If Lake gets a VPOTUS nod, let's not kid ourselves, she will absolutely destroy anyone in her path in any kind of practical media optics engagement on a national stage. It's why the hard line partisan MSM is so committed to trying to denounce her right now, because Lake's EScores test off the charts with suburban women across the entire spectrum. She understand the best thing to do in her position is to outright attack non stop and at every opportunity once she recognizes she's in hostile media territory.

Team Blue thought it was a good idea to "get cute" and spend big dollars to drive up "Stop The Steal" GOP primary candidates and Trump endorsed primary candidates because they'd be easier to beat later or easier to smear in the MSM. Instead establishment Democrats helped to build a future media monster that they don't have the ability to stop nor control.

Kari Lake wants to be President. If you ask John Carpenter, he'd likely point out she's here to kick *** and chew bubblegum. And Lake is clearly fresh out of bubblegum.

I'll leave this here for others to discuss.

VIDEO: 10 minutes of pure discomfort as candidate for AZ Governor, Kari Lake torches local reporter Jun 15, 2021

Kari Lake, former TV News Anchor turned Republican candidate for Governor in Arizona, spots a hit-piece coming from a mile away and lays down the gauntlet on biased, liberal local media. Newsrooms across America refuse to do neutral or positive stories on Republicans. Every story is a smear, or meant to vilify Conservatives. Turn off the media. THEY ARE THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA0raqj8aK8

Direct Headline: WATCH: GOP Candidate Lashes Out When Local Reporter Grills Her About Donating to Barack Obama in Wild Interview

By Tommy ChristopherJul 6th, 2021, 8:42 am

Republican candidate for Arizona Governor Kari Lake lashed out at local reporter Dennis Welch when he grilled her about past donations to Democrats John Kerry and Barack Obama, attacking Welch and the media — and Democrats for “forcing” Covid vaccines on people....Welch began his interview with Lake, a former local Fox 10 Arizona anchor, by asking about donations to then-presidential candidates John Kerry in 2004 and then-future President Barack Obama in 2008.

....“I’m a staunch…I am probably the most conservative person in this race right now,” Lake said. “And look at Ronald Reagan. He was a former Democrat. What’s the problem with it?”

“So what changed?” Welch asked.

“What changed? Have you not seen? Dennis, have you not seen the country this country is going?” Lake replied, and added “Have you not seen them with the Democrats are doing? They’re for defunding the police, they’re for this ridiculous curriculum that is destroying the minds of our children, they’re for shutting down businesses, locking us up in our homes, making us wear masks, forcing vaccines on us, they’re for abortion all the way up and past birth. Seriously if, if somebody is still a Democrat. The Democrat party has changed....”

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch...t-donating-to-barack-obama-in-wild-interview/

This is interesting. The activist complicit left leaning MSM won't cover Lake anymore. She's intentionally rolling into the fight immediately. She's leaving no room to be edited down. Her intention is to go viral as many times as possible via aggressive social media engagement. She knows the MSM won't give her much burn into the national daily media cycle. But she's forcing her way in. Left leaning outlets are hurting for ratings, Lake knows this, she knows eventually, like for Trump in 2016, that the majority of the MSM will cave.

Her pace and language choice is built to appeal directly to suburban women. She talks about what she wants to talk about, no matter the question presented. She does very easy reframing here. Transitions are seamless. Look at Dennis Welch run for cover like a coward. What Lake is making routine is watching the clock in interviews. She goes for immediate kill shots, then demands the interviewer make actual use of the time they are wasting. Which implies everyone who opposes her is a waste of time.

This lady is lethal. She likes confrontation. She relishes it. Her messaging is simple. She will key into the public's rage against the establishment. She is packing multiple engagements, concepts and counter narratives into smaller packages. Every statement she makes is curated and aimed at achieving 3-4 things at once. The end goal here is to mine a signature sound bite that will carry her over the top in the VPOTUS short list.

Arizona Senate race is also worrying Dems...

GOP leaps back into contention in Arizona Senate race

Just a month after national Republicans appeared to give up on Arizona Republican Blake Masters, the Trump-backed Senate candidate has staged a comeback — and Arizona is in play.

National and Arizona Democratic operatives are privately fretting that incumbent Sen. Mark Kelly is endangered, noting a shift by previously undecided voters toward the GOP, aided by a patchwork of new Republican spending to bolster Masters. Recent polling has shown Kelly’s lead shrinking to a few points, much tighter than surveys showed throughout August and September.

Great, another absolute lunatic being voted into power. You would think after MTG, Boebert, AOC,* etc etc that we’d learn our lesson, yet it seems we are running the other way from common sense. The country‘s increasing abandonment of the middle is absolutely frightening.

*these 3 off the top of my pre-coffee brain just happen to be women but I am in no way suggesting anything here. There are more then their share of crazy men in power in Politics too.

I like what I am seeing with Lake. The Republicans are going to lock down the suburban female demographic for a generation with these strong, patriotic and positive women coming up through the ranks.

Great, another absolute lunatic being voted into power. You would think after MTG, Boebert, AOC,* etc etc that we’d learn our lesson, yet it seems we are running the other way from common sense. The country‘s increasing abandonment of the middle is absolutely frightening.

*these 3 off the top of my pre-coffee brain just happen to be women but I am in no way suggesting anything here. There are more then their share of crazy men in power in Politics too.

The current administration is creating a bully pulpit for candidates like Kari Lake. If they would just do their jobs effectively you take away the pulpit they would leave the Republicans with one issue to run on inflation. Still a powerful issue, but not something they couldn't overcome. Instead they've been horrendous in just about every major issue facing Americans today, crime, border, education, inflation... They're digging their own hole. Democratic policies are good in theory, bad in practice.

You don't agree with her policies/platform so she's a lunatic? Gee, I wonder why we never have any productive political discussions around here.......

The current administration is creating a bully pulpit for candidates like Kari Lake. If they would just do their jobs effectively you take away the pulpit they would leave the Republicans with one issue to run on inflation. Still a powerful issue, but not something they couldn't overcome. Instead they've been horrendous in just about every major issue facing Americans today, crime, border, education, inflation... They're digging their own hole. Democratic policies are good in theory, bad in practice.
Yeah, you certainly won’t find me defending this administration. But unfortunately the political environment putting these type of people in office didn’t start here.

You don't agree with her policies/platform so she's a lunatic? Gee, I wonder why we never have any productive political discussions around here.......
Tell me John, how do you get off that high horse? Do you bring a ladder or do you just jump down?

Yeah, you certainly won’t find me defending this administration. But unfortunately the political environment putting these type of people in office didn’t start here.
Wasn’t Lake a candidate that the D’s wanted to run against?

No clue.

No clue.
Can’t tell you about this site, but hjere is something about it - https://unherd.com/thepost/democrats-only-have-themselves-to-blame-for-the-rise-of-kari-lake/

No clue.
Can’t tell you about this site, but hjere is something about it - https://unherd.com/thepost/democrats-only-have-themselves-to-blame-for-the-rise-of-kari-lake/
Thanks. Will read the article when I get a chance, but I’m typically not one who looks blame others for individuals decisions. Her crazy conspiracy theories are on full display for everyone to see.

No clue.
Thanks. Will read the article when I get a chance, but I’m typically not one who looks blame others for individuals decisions. Her crazy conspiracy theories are on full display for everyone to see.
Which is why the D’s were propping her up, so they can campaign against a Trump supporter in the end.

No clue.
Which is why the D’s were propping her up, so they can campaign against a Trump supporter in the end.
Oh I fully understand that angle. But that doesn’t put her in office, voters do. As almost always the fault is ours (the voters) to own.

No clue.

Someone asked Lake about being an election denier. She had research done that showed 150 different incidences of Democrats being election deniers and had quotes from Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton denying election results. LOL!

Saw an interview where someone said the NFL would threaten to move the Superbowl if she instituted tough immigration policy. She had the perfect reply, I work for the people of Arizona not the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread