What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Watson (1 Viewer)

definite top 8 potential - expect a leap in stats similar to Chris Cooley's last year. Maybe even top 5 if he becomes a favorite target for Brady with no real WR2 option.

Curious as to what some of you think of him now and the long term. What's his upside in regards to his TE ranking?
I like both Ben Watson and Daniel Graham but it seems neither will be able to be an elite TE without one of them being injuried or traded. Graham is the starter it seems but Ben Watson did well last year and scored four TD's when given a chance.

:popcorn:

Very interested Watson owner. The way NE spreads the ball around & places different emphasis on receivers from game to game makes Watson very mediocre in the dynasty league where I own him.

Curious as to what some of you think of him now and the long term. What's his upside in regards to his TE ranking?
My $0.02 -- his upside is great. It isn't inconceivable that he could be the #2 TE in a couple of years if Gonzo slows down. His physical measurables are outstanding--size, speed, 10 inch hands.The issue with Watson is likelihood to reach his upside... even coming into the league there were questions about his passion and demeanor (he was a good kid, just didn't seem to put up the college stats his talent would imply). Whether it's internal motivation or team system, he hasn't put up great stats to date in the NFL and it's not clear that he ever will.

Then again, even Gonzo took a few years to get going.

Dont forget folks, last year was basically his rookie year. TEs, like WRs, take a little more time to ramp up. Everyone sees that the talent and physical ability is there... The Pats did not put up a big fight to keep Givens, and did not sign a true WR2 option. Could this be because they have faith in Watson to step up?

The issue with Watson is likelihood to reach his upside... even coming into the league there were questions about his passion and demeanor (he was a good kid, just didn't seem to put up the college stats his talent would imply). Whether it's internal motivation or team system, he hasn't put up great stats to date in the NFL and it's not clear that he ever will.
Any questions about his desire should have been answered when he ran down Champ Bailey from behind in the playoffs.

The issue with Watson is likelihood to reach his upside... even coming into the league there were questions about his passion and demeanor (he was a good kid, just didn't seem to put up the college stats his talent would imply).  Whether it's internal motivation or team system, he hasn't put up great stats to date in the NFL and it's not clear that he ever will.
Any questions about his desire should have been answered when he ran down Champ Bailey from behind in the playoffs.
That was one of the most unbelievable play I've seen - ever...I can only think of Larry Allen catching a guy (can't recall who, can't recall the year) from behind as a more spectacular play from a "really big man"...

Seeing Watson coming across to smack Bailey before the goaline (should have been a touchback) was simply ashtonishing... we're talking about one of the fastest DBs out there (that had slowed down the last 10 yards - I agree)...

The issue with Watson is likelihood to reach his upside... even coming into the league there were questions about his passion and demeanor (he was a good kid, just didn't seem to put up the college stats his talent would imply).  Whether it's internal motivation or team system, he hasn't put up great stats to date in the NFL and it's not clear that he ever will.
That was one of the most unbelievable play I've seen - ever...I can only think of Larry Allen catching a guy (can't recall who, can't recall the year) from behind as a more spectacular play from a "really big man"...

Seeing Watson coming across to smack Bailey before the goaline (should have been a touchback) was simply ashtonishing... we're talking about one of the fastest DBs out there (that had slowed down the last 10 yards - I agree)...
Also, remember that Watson started on the opposite side of the field from where Bailey picked off the pass (if my memory serves me) - He made the diagonal across the field, while Bailey was running more of a straight line. Even if you say that Watson only caught Bailey because bailey was winded, think of what that says for Watson's stamina.

The hot TE sleepers of the past three years:

2004 - Gates

2005 - Cooley

2006 - Watson

The record has been good the last two years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, remember that Watson started on the opposite side of the field from where Bailey picked off the pass (if my memory serves me) - He made the diagonal across the field, while Bailey was running more of a straight line. Even if you say that Watson only caught Bailey because bailey was winded, think of what that says for Watson's stamina.
That's exactly my point... simply unbelievable... I was involded in a play like this once (where I was "Watson")... and thought to myself "I'm going to catch and smack that little DB hotshot"... but found that going all the way across (even if I aimed at the corner of our goaline) was just too much... and caught air when diving at the 5yard line...

Watson running down Bailey was a great hustle play, no doubt. But let's not attribute super-human ability to him. Bailey was clearly dogging it going in.

Watson running down Bailey was a great hustle play, no doubt. But let's not attribute super-human ability to him. Bailey was clearly dogging it going in.
Sure, Bailey was dogging it, I qualified this earlier - but this speaks to original point, Watson's passion and desire being questioned. Here you have a playoff game, and Bailey pulls up at the 10 and starts trotting, while Watson, having to run at least 20 yards more than Bailey, is still going full speed and has the presence of mind to strip the ball.

Sure, Bailey was dogging it, I qualified this earlier - but this speaks to original point, Watson's passion and desire being questioned. Here you have a playoff game, and Bailey pulls up at the 10 and starts trotting, while Watson, having to run at least 20 yards more than Bailey, is still going full speed and has the presence of mind to strip the ball.
Fair enough.

I also bellieve this is the year Watson busts out, but being a Patriot it's relative.

He'll probably never put up Gonzalez/Gates numbers, but I wish I owned him. TD-leagues that is. Yardage, not so much. 600/8.

BTW, Ben Watson was the fastest WR in the 2004 draft. That's no typo. He was faster than all the TEs, and all the WRs.

Watson, even with Graham there, will be a decent TE option in 2006. If he continues to get the looks from Brady #`s like 65 catches 700-800 yds and 6+ TD`s are very reachable. As far as his physical skills like speed strength etc. when he first came to camp the staff were blown away! If things fall right he`s got a chance to be in the top 4 or 5 TE`s in the league. Go Pats :thumbup:

definite top 8 potential - expect a leap in stats similar to Chris Cooley's last year. Maybe even top 5 if he becomes a favorite target for Brady with no real WR2 option.
I agree with you on this. Clearly his upside is nice but remember that he's in NE and that always means check it with reservation. However, with Givens gone I can see him as the #2 option in that offense.

I like both Ben Watson and Daniel Graham but it seems neither will be able to be an elite TE without one of them being injuried or traded. Graham is the starter it seems but Ben Watson did well last year and scored four TD's when given a chance.
3 things to note:1) Pats should be running alot more 2 TE sets this year

2) Graham will be used more for blocking, and the occasional short yardage catch.

3) Watson has the speed and athletisism to become a Gates-like Wideout at the TE position. Expect big numbers even if the Pats draft a WR in the 2nd Round

Edit: Specifically top 10 numbers this year... I'd say behind only Gates, Gonzo, Shockey, Miller, Heap, Crumpler

That was a sweet play.

I also bellieve this is the year Watson busts out, but being a Patriot it's relative.

He'll probably never put up Gonzalez/Gates numbers, but I wish I owned him. TD-leagues that is. Yardage, not so much. 600/8.

BTW, Ben Watson was the fastest WR in the 2004 draft. That's no typo. He was faster than all the TEs, and all the WRs.
No he wasn't. He was about .01 faster or slower than Roy Williams, but he was about 0.10 slower than Lee Evans for one.

any questions?It was a very nice play. As was Deshaun Foster's in the playoffs a few years back. But a very nice play in the playoffs does not answer any and all questions about somebody's desire through the course of the regular season.

If anything, the play indicates his talent, but passion is about producing game in and game out. I'm not saying that Watson won't develop into a consistently excellent player, but the jury is out.

Just as a point of perspective (and please remember that I am a hopeful Watson dynasty owner), the #2 receiver in NE with Brady under center has averaged:

50 catches, 704 yds, & 5 TDs.

And that's from the WR position's numbers. That figures to be the #8 TE in the league in our league. Perhaps we're being a tad optimistic here?

any questions?It was a very nice play. As was Deshaun Foster's in the playoffs a few years back. But a very nice play in the playoffs does not answer any and all questions about somebody's desire through the course of the regular season.

If anything, the play indicates his talent, but passion is about producing game in and game out. I'm not saying that Watson won't develop into a consistently excellent player, but the jury is out.
I exaggerate, you've got me there. Still, it's hard for me to say that desire is what will hold him back when he makes that kind of signature play. Ive seen many starting QBs put much much less effort out there to stop an INT return.

I hope to draft Watson on every team I have this coming season ... I think he'll be one of the best value late round picks anyone could make this year, ... If the Pat's ever converted him to the WR position this kid would be a monster TD threat ala TO

No he wasn't. He was about .01 faster or slower than Roy Williams, but he was about 0.10 slower than Lee Evans for one.
All we heard the year he was drafted was that he was the fastest of all the WRs and TEs. I have been wrong before, however. :D

Just as a point of perspective (and please remember that I am a hopeful Watson dynasty owner), the #2 receiver in NE with Brady under center has averaged:

50 catches, 704 yds, & 5 TDs. 

And that's from the WR position's numbers.  That figures to be the #8 TE in the league in our league.  Perhaps we're being a tad optimistic here?
The #2 WR for Brady includes the likes of who? David Patten and David Givens.Neither have Ben Watson's talent and athletisism.

He should be good for more than 5 TDs this year if healthy.

Yes Brady spreads the ball around, but it's gonna be hard to argue against Watson being Brady's 2nd favorite target this season.

Ben Watson was #1 in the NFL in YPC last season (15.6) among players with as many catches as him (34)... the one who comes closest is Dallas Clark with 14 YPC on 41 catches.

Give him 50 catches and 14 YPC and thats 700 yds. He will get those looks especially without a solid #2WR. 7 TDs is certainly not out of the question.

Those numbers in a 6pt per TD, 1pt per 10 yards scoring system are TE7 last year. I can see Cooley dropping off this year, out of the top 6, so definitly top 5 potential, plus the fact that hes 25 doesn't hurt in Dynasty leagues

Man, I still cannot get that highlight reel out of my head. I've never seen such a massive guy run SO fast.

Man, I still cannot get that highlight reel out of my head. I've never seen such a massive guy run SO fast.
Like I mentoned above... unbelievable...Who was it, that Larry Allen caught from behind - probably 8/9/10 years ago?

Here is a question to ponder:

What if Branch gets injured? I know that sounds highly unlikely, but think about it for a moment.

That would make a good situation for Ben turn into a great one.

My only main question on Watson are his hands. I don't know if the stats bear it out but I saw a few Pats games where he could have had a few more catches due to the dropsies.

Running down Bailey was definately one of the best play-off plays of last season, but Watson's 63 yard TD that broke the Jacksonville game open the week before was almost as impressive ...

"That was a great effort by Benjamin to break those tackles," Belichick said, "and make a big play out of what probably should've been a third-down stop."

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio called it a critical play.

"All of a sudden, instead of us having an opportunity to keep it close, it got blown open right there," Del Rio said.

Watson broke several tackles early, then broke loose where he outran everyone that got close to him and ran right through/over the safety who presented the Jag's last chance ... power, speed, heart, desire ... this kid's got the makings of something special and I think he showed us all a glimmer in last seasons playoff's

Running down Bailey was definately one of the best play-off plays of last season, but Watson's 63 yard TD that broke the Jacksonville game open the week before was almost as impressive ...

"That was a great effort by Benjamin to break those tackles," Belichick said, "and make a big play out of what probably should've been a third-down stop."

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio called it a critical play.

"All of a sudden, instead of us having an opportunity to keep it close, it got blown open right there," Del Rio said. 

Watson broke several tackles early, then broke loose where he outran everyone that got close to him and ran right through/over  the safety who presented the Jag's last chance ... power, speed, heart, desire ... this kid's got the makings of something special and I think he showed us all a glimmer in last seasons playoff's
This was the most meaningful play of the playoffs for the Pats (on the positive side). Watson blew the game open on a play where he broke 2 tackles.Granted one was against a LB who was wearing a giant cast on his hand (he couldn't wrap up Watson)

Watson has potential and will most likely be top 10 - my super sleeper this year is Alex Smith though - may not be top ten but I expect him to have a Cooley `04 esque season (excellent down the stretch)

I have always drafted a Pats TE.....and will try and get Watson again this year. I see big things for him.

Users who are viewing this thread