What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bernie Sanders HQ! *A decent human being. (3 Viewers)

Amen.

Yeah I need to change my affiliation back to Independent.  Democratic party is a rotting corpse.  
Proud to say I've never had a D (or an R) next to my name. I just wish independents/3rd partyers were a bit more in synch with each other. There are so many different thought bubbles outside of the big 2, it's difficult to unite everyone.

He dropped out of the race...whats the point of keeping him on at this point?  I mean, honestly, why would that be the straw that breaks the camels back...that the NY state party did that?
Its in the article...

Although Sanders withdrew from the presidential primary earlier this month and endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden shortly afterward, he insisted that he would remain on the ballot in states that have yet to vote.

Sanders and his allies want to accumulate enough convention delegates to be able to influence the Democratic Party platform and rules. The Biden campaign has indicated that it is open to working with Sanders on a compromise over convention delegates.

Matt Lech @MattLech

Until all primaries are on the same day, future left candidates should say from the outset that they will run until the convention and anyone who has a problem with that can #### off.  Isn't it great, all this unity now that Bernie dropped out. Getting a lot done huh.

The way, over and again, legitimate processes of democracy were sacrificed in favor of Mr Liberal Manager's conception of "Unity" (cough @WorkingFamilies) is not an accident but the early signs of a less democratic future broadly speaking, if these parties aren't overhauled.

Seems like the issue is then with the NY State party taking him off.
Yea it sounded like Biden was ok with him continuing in exchange for his support. 

I know everyone loves him now and even I think hes doing a good job with Covid-19 but Cuomo is a shady establishment MF and has been for a long time

The more I think about this, I don't know what the point of them doing this is.  He already is endorsing the establishment candidate and keeping him on the ballot has a small impact but nothing terribly significant.

On the other hand by kicking him off the ballot you frustrate the progressive base and make yourself look bad at a time you want to be drawing those people in to Biden.

Seems very shortsighted.

#BernieComeBack is trending   LOL
I was never a big Bernie fan but right now with the stuff coming out about Biden and what we have already been though with Trump Bernie is looking pretty good.  I would support him only because much he wants to do won`t ever be passed anyway.  Also I doubt Bernie has the skeletons in the closet that Biden and Trump have.

I was never a big Bernie fan but right now with the stuff coming out about Biden and what we have already been though with Trump Bernie is looking pretty good.  I would support him only because much he wants to do won`t ever be passed anyway.  Also I doubt Bernie has the skeletons in the closet that Biden and Trump have.
Agree wit this.  Wish he would have kept his message solely on fixing the mega corporations and their taxes.

It’s time for Bernie to stand up, rescind his endorsement and demand he replace Biden. This was his time. You want to say ok, ‘16 was Hillary’s time to shine, ok. But no way can this guy who has done everything asked of him and everything right sit by and see his spot given to such a flawed candidate and now probably a flawed human being. 

It’s time for Bernie to stand up, rescind his endorsement and demand he replace Biden. This was his time. You want to say ok, ‘16 was Hillary’s time to shine, ok. But no way can this guy who has done everything asked of him and everything right sit by and see his spot given to such a flawed candidate and now probably a flawed human being. 
Why was it his time?  He wasn't the only candidate other than Biden.

When was the spot ever Bernies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was it his time?  He wasn't the only candidate other than Biden.

When was the spot ever Bernies?
He’s got the biggest and most real following in the party. It was stolen from him 4 years ago for a flawed individual who couldn’t get the job done. I don’t want to see a repeat and that’s exactly the path we are on. 

He’s got the biggest and most real following in the party. It was stolen from him 4 years ago for a flawed individual who couldn’t get the job done. I don’t want to see a repeat and that’s exactly the path we are on. 
It would be a comeback story for the ages after the way he has been treated, I'm not a fan of his policies but I think he deserves his shot. 

Nothing was stolen 4 years ago...and I disagree that his following is any more real or worthy of the nomination.  IMO if Biden never runs the voters still wouldn't have nominated him this tome around.

The lath we are on is once again the voters prefer someone else over him.

Nothing was stolen 4 years ago...and I disagree that his following is any more real or worthy of the nomination.  IMO if Biden never runs the voters still wouldn't have nominated him this time around.

The path we are on is once again the voters prefer someone else over him.
Exactly. And that was before his praise of Fidel Castro which cost him any shot at Florida and would have also killed Democratic down ticket candidates in that state.

Bernie should but unfortunately he was bought off once again 

And he is also one of the most-likely to lose to Trump.  Moderates either won't vote or will vote Trump.  And I will admit that Bernie has a big following, but unfortunately, they don't vote.

And Florida would no longer be 'up for grabs'.

Why do you think The Republicans were doing cart-wheels when Bernie was in the lead?  Trump even tried to bait Warren in throwing her support to Bernie, when Biden started to overtake him.

And he is also one of the most-likely to lose to Trump.  Moderates either won't vote or will vote Trump.  And I will admit that Bernie has a big following, but unfortunately, they don't vote.

Why do you think The Republicans were doing cart-wheels when Bernie was in the lead?  Trump even tried to bait Warren in throwing her support to Bernie, when Biden started to overtake him.
Don't you think it's more important to have an opponent opposite Trump on the debate stage that is lucid and can form a competent argument?  

That whole "Biden has a betterchance" thing will be gone after that first debate. Guarantee it. 

Don't you think it's more important to have an opponent opposite Trump on the debate stage that is lucid and can form a competent argument?  

That whole "Biden has a betterchance" thing will be gone after that first debate. Guarantee it. 
Because debates matter?

Also...Trump actually performs horribly in debates.

I guess you didn't see that last debate with Bernie where Joe did just fine. I saw a live interview with Laurence O'Donnell some weeks back and there were no problems there either.

Because debates matter?

Also...Trump actually performs horribly in debates.
Of course you think that you despise everything about the man. You're not an objective party. 

After the first debate where Biden is going to be attacked and challenged and he's goin to have to be sharp on the fly, I guarantee you'll be in here asking if you can change to Bernie. 

This isn’t true at all. Go back and look at the Trump thread, most of us were worried when Bernie was in the lead.

Of course you think that you despise everything about the man. You're not an objective party. 

After the first debate where Biden is going to be attacked and challenged and he's goin to have to be sharp on the fly, I guarantee you'll be in here asking if you can change to Bernie. 
Ill ignore the personal crap...please leave it out of future posts.

Attacked and challenged on what?  He responded well the last tome with Sanders...but even so...i don’t believe debates move the needle.  And yeah Trump sucked in debates by any reasonable measure.  Lies, unanswered questions and personal attacks are not debate wins.

Bernie has no legit claim to this any ore than Pete or Klobuchar or others.  Voters preferred a moderate to the progressive.  Polling showed people didn't prefer Bernie.

Widbil83 said:
This isn’t true at all. Go back and look at the Trump thread, most of us were worried when Bernie was in the lead.
I think Bernie was definitely who trump wanted.  We know he didn't want to face Biden.  They tried to muddy him up with the whole Ukraine scandal.

Between this and skipping the vote on internet privacy Bernie has been quickly eroding the faith I had in him
When he hired people like Sirota, Gray and Nina Turner, I thought he might finally take the gloves off.  Maybe even moreso after the heart attack.  He's 78, what has he got to lose?  But I was wrong. 

I don't know if he's just too ignorant or naive to see the party clearly rejects his policy views, but they clearly do, and he keeps siding with them over and over again.  

Whatever his actual intents are, the end result is always the same: not laying a glove on the party chieftains, funneling his grassroots support behind a manifestly corrupt political party, and going out weak when push comes to shove.  

Between this and skipping the vote on internet privacy Bernie has been quickly eroding the faith I had in him
Tim Kaine once said "Nobody walks the line between insider and outsider better than Bernie — nobody."  Sometimes I think the reason they dislike him isn't because he acts like a big populist, but because he pretends not to be one of them.  

When he hired people like Sirota, Gray and Nina Turner, I thought he might finally take the gloves off.  Maybe even moreso after the heart attack.  He's 78, what has he got to lose?  But I was wrong. 

I don't know if he's just too ignorant or naive to see the party clearly rejects his policy views, but they clearly do, and he keeps siding with them over and over again.  

Whatever his actual intents are, the end result is always the same: not laying a glove on the party chieftains, funneling his grassroots support behind a manifestly corrupt political party, and going out weak when push comes to shove.  
My amateur take on it is I think he just doesn't have the stomach to "go down as Nader" and getting blamed for 2016 got to him. Chris Hedges mentioned a conversation between he, Bernie and Kshama Sawant where she was pushing Bernie to go harder and/or 3rd party but Bernie refused saying the Nader thing. 

That all said he's done a lot to move the ball up the hill so I'm hoping someone with a little more DGAF (cough... Nina... cough) keeps it going. I really like that she's flirting with the People's Party movement, hope it's more than just words.

My amateur take on it is I think he just doesn't have the stomach to "go down as Nader" and getting blamed for 2016 got to him. Chris Hedges mentioned a conversation between he, Bernie and Kshama Sawant where she was pushing Bernie to go harder and/or 3rd party but Bernie refused saying the Nader thing. 

That all said he's done a lot to move the ball up the hill so I'm hoping someone with a little more DGAF (cough... Nina... cough) keeps it going. I really like that she's flirting with the People's Party movement, hope it's more than just words.
I think, like Sawant said, the Democratic party is a "graveyard" for progressives.  All of Sanders' momentum to change the party structure from within is dead in the water with Joe Biden.  I agree it's good to see Nina & co. concentrating behind an independent party.  

I think, like Sawant said, the Democratic party is a "graveyard" for progressives.  All of Sanders' momentum to change the party structure from within is dead in the water with Joe Biden.  I agree it's good to see Nina & co. concentrating behind an independent party.  
Yea Biden particularly kills it, especially with a Kamala VP. Even Pete or Warren would have been at least some progress

This is so bizarre to me.  My son (23) went out with many others his age and campaigned for him.  From the start, he mentioned that everyone his age he knew hated Biden, even before the primaries started and he turned into the gaffe machine.  What a waste of all that human capital. These kids are not happy at all.  They might not turn out to vote as usual, but I doubt they are clinging to the party in the future the way they have in the past.

David Sirota @davidsirota

Kamala Harris landed a punch on Biden once and she gained 12 points in the polls. Had Biden faced that kind of sustained criticism for weeks and months, he mighta been defeated.

After that, everyone basically went silent about Biden for months. Now he’s the nominee.

"Congratulations to Kamala Harris, who will make history as our next Vice President. She understands what it takes to stand up for working people, fight for health care for all, and take down the most corrupt administration in history. Let’s get to work and win."

Bernie working overtime shilling for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.  How does he tell straightup lies like this with a straight face?  Is he naive, ignorant or just corrupt?  What exactly does he think they're going to stand for when they assume power?  Because it's not going to be the progressive causes he claims to care about.  

"The function of the sheepdog candidate is to give left activists and voters a reason, however illusory, to believe there's a place of influence for them inside the Democratic party, if and only if the eventual Democratic nominee can win in November."

Black Agenda Report, -5/15

"The function of the sheepdog candidate is to give left activists and voters a reason, however illusory, to believe there's a place of influence for them inside the Democratic party, if and only if the eventual Democratic nominee can win in November."

Black Agenda Report, -5/15
One wonders whether these people have ever heard of the concept of incrementalism. I mean, for Pete's sake. 

One wonders whether these people have ever heard of the concept of incrementalism. I mean, for Pete's sake. 
He's been doing this stuff for like 30 years.  Things just keep getting incrementally worse and more corrupt all the time, no matter which party is in power, and Sanders keeps endorsing it.  He keeps endorsing them even after they betray him right out in the open.  The most charitable explanation for it is that Bernie Sanders is the dumbest, most naive fool in politics.  I know he's smarter than this.  

He's been doing this stuff for like 30 years.  Things just keep getting incrementally worse and more corrupt all the time, no matter which party is in power, and Sanders keeps endorsing it.  He keeps endorsing them even after they betray him right out in the open.  The most charitable explanation for it is that Bernie Sanders is the dumbest, most naive fool in politics.  I know he's smarter than this.  
I disagree. The left has succeeded in almost everything it has tried to do since the sixties aside from avoiding war and losing their agenda against the rise of our military-industrial complex. The Civil Rights Act of 1964, The Great Society, The War On Poverty, entitlements through the roof, deficit spending, guaranteed health care for the poor, guaranteed health care for the elderly, bailouts for corporations and unions at the public teat in a nod to command economy, you name it. Yes, they haven't achieved single-payer health insurance yet. Big deal. We must look like raging Marxists to our betters from 1918. And then the social program undertaken since the fifties. Contraception on demand as a natural right. Abortion as a natural right. Gay marriage as a natural right. Have I mentioned that natural rights stem from a Judeo-Christian understanding of God? I mean, what the heck do you want? What more could you possibly be granted on the left? If anything, the left has been ascendant. It's eviscerated every right-leaning thing in its path in America aside, again, from military adventurism. But even that adventurism is couched in language that would make Woodrow Wilson blush in its international and humane concern. 

I submit that Sanders is smart, knows this, and will smile all the way to his grave having accomplished all of this.

"Congratulations to Kamala Harris, who will make history as our next Vice President. She understands what it takes to stand up for working people, fight for health care for all, and take down the most corrupt administration in history. Let’s get to work and win."

Bernie working overtime shilling for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.  How does he tell straightup lies like this with a straight face?  Is he naive, ignorant or just corrupt?  What exactly does he think they're going to stand for when they assume power?  Because it's not going to be the progressive causes he claims to care about.  
On the contrary, Biden is expected to adopt some of Bernie's positions on

Immigration Reform - "If Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden is elected in November, he is expected to use many of those same levers to undo Mr. Trump’s changes and even end some immigration enforcement measures that have been in place for decades....  Mr. Biden has also said he would pursue a bill providing a pathway to citizenship for the 11 million immigrants in the country who lack permanent legal status, a task made easier if Democrats take back control of the Senate."

Education Reform including tuition-free public college for families making less than $125k per year. 

I disagree. The left has succeeded in almost everything it has tried to do since the sixties aside from avoiding war and losing their agenda against the rise of our military-industrial complex. The Civil Rights Act of 1964, The Great Society, The War On Poverty, entitlements through the roof, deficit spending, guaranteed health care for the poor, guaranteed health care for the elderly, bailouts for corporations and unions at the public teat in a nod to command economy, you name it. Yes, they haven't achieved single-payer health insurance yet. Big deal. We must look like raging Marxists to our betters from 1918. And then the social program undertaken since the fifties. Contraception on demand as a natural right. Abortion as a natural right. Gay marriage as a natural right. Have I mentioned that natural rights stem from a Judeo-Christian understanding of God? I mean, what the heck do you want? What more could you possibly be granted on the left? If anything, the left has been ascendant. It's eviscerated every right-leaning thing in its path in America aside, again, from military adventurism. But even that adventurism is couched in language that would make Woodrow Wilson blush in its international and humane concern. 

I submit that Sanders is smart, knows this, and will smile all the way to his grave having accomplished all of this.
I guess we have a different definition of ‘the left’ ‘getting what it wants’ then, because last I checked a massive surveillance state, endless war, expansive prison systems, corporate bailouts, CIA regime change operations, targeting of civil dissidents, and torture are not ‘progressive’ in any sense.  That’s not ‘progressive,’ it’s oligarchy.  We live in a rigged oligarchy, it is not ‘left’ or even ‘right’ by any reasonable measure, it is a fascist, corporate-run oligarchy.  

I’m not a fan of collectivist policy but I’d gladly settle for it if it meant ending the wars, ending corporate stranglehold over politics, ending mass incarceration, ending our militarized police state.  You mention civil rights, gay rights, abortion etc.  I mean I think most people agree those are worthwhile considerations, but even if they don’t, these are social issues that cost the ruling class nothing.  

For all the song and dance about social justice, I see very little push back against the criminal justice system from either party either.  Prisoners are used as slave labor, we don’t even have an official end to slavery going for us.  All they’re good for is empty virtue signaling and demagoguing Trump.  

The current Democratic nominees do not pose a threat to this system.  They are already signaling they have no interest in changing any of this.  Which is why it’s astonishing to watch Sanders sell his people out to consolidate them behind the so-called Democratic wing of this rotten institution.  

Users who are viewing this thread