What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Documentaries You've Seen ----> (1 Viewer)

The little-known story of the Butte Ski Club and its once-popular ski area, the "Beef Trail," created by volunteers, many of them miners, in 1938. A number of innovative ideas and technologies pioneered by early members of the Butte Ski Club were later adapted by some of the West's more popular ski areas. This documentary brings us vintage movie footage, old photos and great stories.

Beef Trail

https://www.pbs.org/video/beef-trail-a-pioneering-montana-ski-area-1phmwa/

Cypress Hill - Insane in the Brain

Another Showtime documentary this time chronicling Cypress Hill. Very well done imo. Worth a watch.

Poly Styrene - I Am A Cliché 

Great documentary about X-Ray Spex frontwoman Poly Styrene. Amazing yet sad. 4.5/5

Last edited by a moderator:
Street Gang - How We Got to Sesame Street

Documentary archiving the origin and evolution of Sesame Street. I really enjoyed this. 4.75/5

Becoming Cousteau 

Documentary showing the evolution of Jacques Cousteau and his message to future generations. As someone who grew up watching his films and TV specials, this was a treat. 4/5.

The Anarchists, on HBO. Three episodes in, 6 total I think. 

The story of an group of anarchists who set up in Acapulco, held an annual convention there, until things went sideways. Think crypto and murder. 

I'm three episodes in, and there isn't a likable figure in the bunch. Fyre Festival vibes.

It has a pretty familiar style, I don't think it's particularly well made a series, but these filmmakers were there from the first year, and there's a ton of interesting weirdos and straight up scammers here. 

I've never watched reality TV, this is as close as I get.

I recently watched Long Strange Trip on Amazon Prime.  It was released in 2017, but I just became aware of this 6 episode series.  Fantastic.  If you are remotely interested in the Grateful Dead, I highly recommend it.  

The story of an group of anarchists who set up in Acapulco, held an annual convention there, until things went sideways. Think crypto and murder. 

I'm three episodes in, and there isn't a likable figure in the bunch. Fyre Festival vibes.

It has a pretty familiar style, I don't think it's particularly well made a series, but these filmmakers were there from the first year, and there's a ton of interesting weirdos and straight up scammers here. 

I'm watching this as well.   Very hard to watch as, like you said, no likable people in this and you know it's a disaster waiting to happen.   On a scale of 1/10, id give it a 5 at best.   I will finish but it has certainly lost my full attention.

I started this last night.  It's.....something.  I've got two episodes in and I'll stick with it.  

Crazy thing is, I found myself actually nodding along with a few of the whackados.  Not that I have any interest in ever becoming an anarchist, but a few of the ladies had some things I didn't find outlandish.  I definitely have some criticisms of our public schools in this country but I don't believe that letting the universe raise your kids or whatever is a better way to go. 

Bob Ross  - Happy Accidents - Betrayal and Greed

It’s an amazing look at Bob Ross’ connection with people everywhere through landscape art as well as his exploitation by his business partners which continues today. 3.75/5

Last edited by a moderator:
Laserium - The Gods of Light

Great documentary about the origin and evolution of the laserium (aka laser light shows with music). Pretty fascinating history and some cool tech stuff too. 4/5

Trainwreck - Woodstock 99 was very good. Somehow I don't remember it being as bad as it really was

ETA: Netflix, 3 part series
Just watched it a couple of nights ago, very good. I didn’t remember the end being like that either. YouTube has a lot of the full concerts also.

The Great Postal Heist

Very interesting look into the degradation of the US Postal Service over the years by a series of significant factors (internal and external). 3.75/5

Currently watching the Victoria’s Secret doc on Hulu. Really fascinating how they grew that brand, and I had never heard about the abuse allegations or the ties to Epstein. You’re turned on, informed and bummed out in the span of a few hours, what’s not to like??

I think it's only been mentioned once (many pages ago) in this thread, but Dear Zachary is the best documentary I've ever seen. It's on Pluto and Prime right now. You really have to watch it without doing any research or seeing what it's about and I promise you won't regret it. Well, you might regret it, but it has to be seen without knowing all the twists and turns to the story. I saw this maybe ten years ago or so and it's been something that I have never been able to forget. It's a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, 8.5 on IMDB, 4.8/5 on Amazon. It's definitely worth an hour and a half of your time. It's not really something that you'd want to watch with the bros or on a first date, though.

My documentary Hall of Fame.

1. Apollo 11 (2019)
2. Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)
3. Collective (2020) [subtitles]
4. The Act of Killing (2013) [subtitles]
5. They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)
6. Senna (2011)
7. I Am Not Your Negro (2016)
8. Hoop Dreams (1994)
9. The Look of Silence (2015) [subtitles]
10. 13th (2016)
11. Dear Zachary (2008)
12. Man with a Movie Camera (1929) [silent]
13. Night and Fog (1956) [subtitles]
14. Faces, Places (2017) [subtitles]
15. Inside Job (2010)

Trainwreck - Woodstock 99 was very good. Somehow I don't remember it being as bad as it really was

ETA: Netflix, 3 part series
It wasn't that bad up until the last couple hours when most people left already. I saw them looting the pretzel truck and figured it was time to leave.

Funny enough I appear in some B-roll footage around the 30 min mark 😆

Saw Moonage Daydream this week, the new David Bowie documentary by Brett Morgen. One of the more ambitious rock docs you’ll ever encounter. Visual delight & nearly all of the music is previously unreleased concert footage or unheard arrangements held by his estate. Though the chronology is fairly linear there’s not an album cover in sight. The narration is often Bowie monologue lifted from an interview.

Amazing artist who was always pushing himself into new areas of expression. Highly recommend experiencing in an IMAX Theater.

Dear Rider,

This is the story of Jake Burton and Burton snowboards. I started snowboarding in the winter of 1991 at a local ski area in southeast Wyoming on a slalom board that I shouldn’t have started on. This documentary is like a chronicle of my early snowboarding years. To say Jake was an innovator is a huge understatement. To say he created a sport only scratches the surface of his contributions. 4.25/5

Clerk

Documentary chronicling the career of Kevin Smith starting with his iconic film, Clerks. I had no idea how diverse his career truly is. This was very well done imo 4/5

My documentary Hall of Fame.

1. Apollo 11 (2019)
2. Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)
3. Collective (2020) [subtitles]
4. The Act of Killing (2013) [subtitles]
5. They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)
6. Senna (2011)
7. I Am Not Your Negro (2016)
8. Hoop Dreams (1994)
9. The Look of Silence (2015) [subtitles]
10. 13th (2016)
11. Dear Zachary (2008)
12. Man with a Movie Camera (1929) [silent]
13. Night and Fog (1956) [subtitles]
14. Faces, Places (2017) [subtitles]
15. Inside Job (2010)
Started watching Apollo 11 last night based on this review. Like it so far. Had no idea there was that much footage out there. Pretty cool.
ETA. just finished Apollo 11. Absolutely amazing!!!! Thanks Maurile!

Last edited:
Nothing Compares

Documentary about Sinead O’Connor’s meteoric rise and fall in pop music. I’ve always been a fan so this was fascinating to me. 4/5

The most riveting and dark documentary for me was "I'll be Gone in the Dark" about the serial killer in California.

Would not recommend for women and children. The man was pure evil.

Users who are viewing this thread