What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Better Dynasty QB? (1 Viewer)

Would you rather have Cutler or Kitna in a dynasty league?

• Jay Cutler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jon Kitna

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Suzy

Footballguy
Ive been catching a lot of flak from "respected" posters for saying that Jay Cutler (age 24) is a better Qb to have in a dynasty league than Jon Kitna (age 35). Many seem to think Kitna is the choice.

Ive been catching a lot of flak from "respected" posters for saying that Jay Cutler (age 24) is a better Qb to have in a dynasty league than Jon Kitna (age 35). Many seem to think Kitna is the choice.
Let it go. Seriously. :goodposting:

Dear Ms. Kolber:Consider possible PPG over the next 4 years - Cutler 15, 16, 17, 17.Kitna 17, 0, 0, 0.Tough choice? No.

Let's see. Cutler, this should end up as the most lopsided poll in the history of the pool.

A few Kitna owners might vote his way out of pity, but otherwise this should go 100% Cutler.

Don't lie to the fellas, Suzy. You didn't catch flak for saying Cutler is a better QB to have in dynasty leagues. You caught flak for being an ###.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually prefer Kitna, even though I can certainly understand why an owner would rather have Cutler. Even though Kitna is older, I think there is more potential for huge production in that offense. For the people who seem to think that Kitna has no future in Detroit, please tell me who will be the starting QB there next year. Stanton is on IR, and from what I read still had a long way to go before the injury. Once CJ gets a little more xp, and now that the running game is starting to show some life, I think Kitna is going to have some huge games

For the people who seem to think that Kitna has no future in Detroit, please tell me who will be the starting QB there next year.
And the starting QB in Denver next year will be? I doubt it will be Matt Ramsey. Cutler's status for the forseeable future is settled, while Kitna at his age and the battering he is taking may not even finish out this season. The fact there may be no are other viable option in Detroit at the moment doesn't make him more valuable than Cutler.

For the people who seem to think that Kitna has no future in Detroit, please tell me who will be the starting QB there next year.
And the starting QB in Denver next year will be? I doubt it will be Matt Ramsey. Cutler's status for the forseeable future is settled, while Kitna at his age and the battering he is taking may not even finish out this season. The fact there may be no are other viable option in Detroit at the moment doesn't make him more valuable than Cutler.
If I was playing for a title 3 years from now, Id probably take Cutler. Nobody disputes the fact that the QB job in Denver is settled. I think the best has yet to come as far as Kitnas production. With an established run game and CJ getting healthy and more polished, my opinion is that Kitnas potential is huge

I think it totally depends on how well your team currently stacks up in your dynasty league. If you have a reasonable shot of making the playoffs this year, then the current situation is WAY more valuable/important than future years. If this is the case, the obvious choice seems to be Kitna (current opportunity >> future situation).

If you're taking over a weak dynasty team or are in the middle of a rebuild (>2yrs from a legit championship shot), I'd say Cutler holds a little more value ... who knows what Kitna's situation will be after 2 more years.

Let's not forget how this originated. For one, the rankings hadn't been updated. If this was posted just 2 weeks ago, when Kitna had just 1 poor game and 4 pretty studly games, this vote would look completely different. Now, after 2 good weeks for Cutler and 2 more 0 TD games for Kitna, it's an overwhelming response.

Kitna's 1st 6 games this year:

289/3 TDs

245/1 TD

446/2 TDs

247/2 TDs

106/0 TDs

Bye week

Cutler's 1st 6 games this year:

304/1 TD

269/1 TD

222/1 TD

131/1 TD

232/0 TD

Bye week

Looking at those #'s, who would you have preferred? At that point, Kitna was a weekly must-start and Cutler was a fantasy spot-start/backup. Given the fact that Kitna was continuing where he left off from last year when he was a top 5 QB, had even more weapons and leading a Mike Martz coached aerial attack, I would easily have wanted him vs. a 2nd year QB on a run-first team who lost his top WR. Yes, he's considerably younger, but at that point, Kitna was the better current option and why they were ranked so closely. Now, 2 more weeks of Kitna bombing and Cutler having 2 decent weeks and everyone is up-in-arms as if it should have been Cutler all along. The short-term memory that takes place sometimes is astounding.

And as pointed out above, it's not so much what you thought but more what you SAID and how you said it. No reason to call out F&L before letting him update his rankings or perhaps, God Forbid, not agreeing with you. He's allowed to go against what 80-90% of the FF community thinks. Otherwise why are we even here?

P.S.--I voted for Cutler more so because of what he's shown he can do so far than the fact that he's better/younger than Kitna. And if I had a team that had a chance to win this year, I'd prefer Kitna still at this point as others have mentioned.

Let's not forget how this originated. For one, the rankings hadn't been updated. If this was posted just 2 weeks ago, when Kitna had just 1 poor game and 4 pretty studly games, this vote would look completely different. Now, after 2 good weeks for Cutler and 2 more 0 TD games for Kitna, it's an overwhelming response.
Speaking for myself, this statement is completely false. First let me say I have neither QB on my dynasty team. I voted Cutler without researching this season's stats. I considered that Kitna's replacement has already been drafted (you can debate how ready Stanton is) while Cutler has just started his career as "QB of the future".Easy choice for me if I was offered both as a long-term dynasty QB. Your stats support an argument for redraft, not dynasty. Dynasty owners I know would not make a decision based on the last few weeks when evaluating dynasty QB rankings.

Speaking for myself, this statement is completely false. First let me say I have neither QB on my dynasty team. I voted Cutler without researching this season's stats. I considered that Kitna's replacement has already been drafted (you can debate how ready Stanton is) while Cutler has just started his career as "QB of the future".Easy choice for me if I was offered both as a long-term dynasty QB. Your stats support an argument for redraft, not dynasty. Dynasty owners I know would not make a decision based on the last few weeks when evaluating dynasty QB rankings.
Ah, but plenty of them do this all of the time.

I think it totally depends on how well your team currently stacks up in your dynasty league. If you have a reasonable shot of making the playoffs this year, then the current situation is WAY more valuable/important than future years. If this is the case, the obvious choice seems to be Kitna (current opportunity >> future situation).If you're taking over a weak dynasty team or are in the middle of a rebuild (>2yrs from a legit championship shot), I'd say Cutler holds a little more value ... who knows what Kitna's situation will be after 2 more years.
:yawn: Exactly.

Not sure how an opinion can be "false", but ok. So you make your decisions without researching stats? That's also interesting. So let me ask you this:Would you rather have Kitna or Alex Smith?Would you rather have Kitna or Matt Leinart?Would you rather have Kitna or Vince Young?Would you rather have Kitna or Jason Campbell?Those guys are all young and are the QB's of the future. However, they may or may not pan out and are all currently producing at a much lower clip than Kitna (even before Leinart went on IR). My stats don't support an argument for only a redraft. You cannot ignore current production for the sake of only the future. Cutler is still essentially a 1st year QB and, while he has looked decent, only has a couple good games over the course of the year. Next year, he still may not turn the corner and Kitna may very well still be the starter in Detroit. There is no indication that they will be moving on to Stanton come next year, especially with how well Detroit is doing this year. To assume Kitna will be done after this year would be "false", in my opinion, of course.The ideal situation, of course, in a dynasty league, is to have both a solid veteran starter and a young, up and coming QB with potential. That's why it's really difficult to compare one to the other in a vacuum. If I owned Jeff Garcia, I'd take Cutler without thinking twice. But, if my other QB is Jason Campbell, I would take Kitna without hesitating. But, the bottomline is that it would be foolish to assume that Kitna has limited value, and but for a slow 3 week stretch, Kitna was a much more reliable starter dating back to last year. This is not as "clear-cut" as some are making it out to be and the perception has changed greatly after just 2 weeks of performance.

Cutler is QB#12 and Kitna is QB#15 in my league RIGHT NOW, and Cutler is 11 years younger. Oh yeah and Cutler has been without his #1 WR most of the year.

I see we have 14 delusional Kitna owners voting.

This should be 100% Cutler, there really isn't any argument for Kitna in a dynasty league.

This isn't even remotely close IMO. For this year they are pretty even in points scored and for the future it's Cutler by far.

Regardless of who said what, its Cutler hands down.

We haven't even see what Cutler can do with Javon / Marshall and Sheffler in the lineup all at the same time.

QB for QB tools aside it Cutler but longterm you look at the tools for both I think Cutlers got it too.

Shanny chooses to throw, he usually goes deep , not alot of dink and dunk with shanny.

Didnt Kitna throw 22 picks last year?
Yeah, and? So what if he threw 22 INTs? He was still a top 5 FANTASY QB in most systems and top 7-8 in just about all systems. Big Ben threw 23. Favre threw 18. Are they not startable or rosterable now because of that?Speaking of Favre, would you rather have Favre or Cutler? He's so much older than Cutler too, right? Is he gonna be starting next year? The way youth is overvalued sometimes in dynasties is overboard. Again, youth is great to have with a good mix, but unless they are producing NOW, you need an older vet to start in their place until they can put up points. After the first few weeks of the season, Cutler was not worthy of an every-week start. Even now, after his solid couple of weeks, there are still lots of better options and he is better served as a backup at this point. If Cutler is the starting QB on your team, then it's a position you should probably try and address. If I had the choice to own Cutler/A. Smith vs. Kitna/J. Campbell, I'd take the latter because it gives me the best chance to win both NOW and LATER. It all depends on what else you have. Those of you dismissing Kitna as having little to no value, especially after this year are making a mistake. See Favre and Garcia for recent examples.

You must be kidding , Kitna is in his last year as a starter in this league .
I think the chances of Kitna being the starting QB for the Lions next year is about 99.9%. He isn't going anywhere. This question is dependent on your team. If I have a team that can win now and next year, I'd rather have Kitna and it's not even close. I'll worry about 2009 by preparing to have a replacement ready for the day Kitna is no longer starting. I have a couple of contending dynasty league teams with Kitna as my QB, and I would not trade him straight up for Cutler right now. It's a lot different if you don't have a contender. But it is definitely not a question that only has one answer. It depends on your team.

I think the chances of Kitna being the starting QB for the Lions next year is about 99.9%. He isn't going anywhere.

This question is dependent on your team. If I have a team that can win now and next year, I'd rather have Kitna and it's not even close. I'll worry about 2009 by preparing to have a replacement ready for the day Kitna is no longer starting. I have a couple of contending dynasty league teams with Kitna as my QB, and I would not trade him straight up for Cutler right now.

It's a lot different if you don't have a contender. But it is definitely not a question that only has one answer. It depends on your team.
:rolleyes: While something that most should know anyway, coming from AB, the above bolded statement should be considered gospel regarding the Lions. Those saying that Cutler is easily the better choice probably don't realize that Kitna isn't going anywhere in 2008. This 3 game skid doesn't change his value as much as most are making it out to be.

Again, if you're going to compare QB's in terms of dynasty value, you need to compare similar QB's in terms of age moreso than any other position. You can compare Cutler to Big Ben, Alex Smith, Vince Young, etc., but doesn't make much sense to compare him to Favre or Garcia or Kitna. The key at the QB position in a dynasty format is to have both a younger prospect and older starting vet. Having Favre/Kitna or having Cutler/Young is NOT the way to go, no matter how good they are now or how good they will be.

I think the chances of Kitna being the starting QB for the Lions next year is about 99.9%. He isn't going anywhere. This question is dependent on your team. If I have a team that can win now and next year, I'd rather have Kitna and it's not even close. I'll worry about 2009 by preparing to have a replacement ready for the day Kitna is no longer starting. I have a couple of contending dynasty league teams with Kitna as my QB, and I would not trade him straight up for Cutler right now. It's a lot different if you don't have a contender. But it is definitely not a question that only has one answer. It depends on your team.
There is no way he is a 99.9% favorite to have and keep that job next year. Yes, he will almost surely start the season as the starter, but a few bad games next year and he could be benched. He isn't some amazing QB who has a job locked up long term.He's lucky Stanton had a bad injury or his job would have been in serious jeapardy right off the bat in 08'.Only justification for valuing Kitna over Cutler in a dynasty league is if Kitna was putting up a Brady type year.As has been posted numerous times, Cutler has already been better then Kitna last season and so far this one.Kitna isn't very good, he never has been. He's servicable.

Users who are viewing this thread