What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest signing AFCN? (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
The AFCN had three teams in the playoffs and made history with all teams over 500. Free agency rarely moves the needle, but I think one move 'could' have pushed one AFCN team to seriously challenge KC.
Will let others chime in and see if anyone saw the same FA move as a 'potential' game changer.

Patrick Queen
3yr/$41M
Pittsburgh Steelers

-That has to be big and will strengthen an already pretty good defense.
I didn't want to believe the Steelers were a double digit win team, something has to give in the North, they can't all be good
If Burrow is back 100%, assuming Higgins will take the field for the pauper's salary of about $22M, where do you rank Cinci?
The Browns were 4-1 in games where Watson started and finished
And then you have the Ravens adding an aging but still effective Derrick Henry.

I don't think it pushes us to a level to challenge KC, I don't even think it puts us atop the division itself lol, but going by the thread title explicitly; I do think the Patrick Queen signing was the best overall acquisition so far in the division and will have the most direct, visible impact on the teams performance in 2024.

While I totally get the "I'll trust the legend DHenry till he shows me otherwise" side of the fence, I'm standing on the other side seeing a 30 yr old rb with 2000 attempts in his career. I think he's a step up from what they had, but I don't think it's going to be as big of a boon as others do. They were 13-4 without Henry, and IMO they didn't lose in the playoffs because of a lack of a running game. It's a great thing for fantasy players, but I don't think it's going to change much for the actual Ravens team.

Steelers with the top two, Queen and Wilson and they might go together because if you don't have a QB room that cost you about $5M a year you may not be in a spot do the basically year to year Queen deal.

Pretty simple...Derrick Henry to the Ravens.
That is the one that I 'think' moves the needle.
The Ravens were 1st in rush attempts, 1st in rushing yards, 3rd in rushing yards per carry, and 2nd in rushing TDs without Henry (6'3, 247 lbs.) who led the league with 2.21 yards AFTER contact.
The Ravens wanted to trade for him prior to their playoff run.
Not sure if others noticed but the team that the Chiefs beat in the Superbowl went out and signed Saquon Barkley to a large 3-year contract so they must strongly believe that adding a big RB is a key to beating KC.
Lamar spreads out a defense which opens up the running game but pairing him with a 6'3 247 lb. monster who led the league in yards AFTER contact???
This is a witch's brew that the league has never seen before.
When Howie Roseman sees the value of adding a top-tier RB talent in order to beat KC I mean, ya know? Pay attention.
This is a big signing in more ways than one IMHO.

Steelers homer here.

Derrick Henry will be closer to 31 than 30 when the season starts. Ravens can have him as the downturn will come/accelerate.

Pretty simple...Derrick Henry to the Ravens.
That is the one that I 'think' moves the needle.
The Ravens were 1st in rush attempts, 1st in rushing yards, 3rd in rushing yards per carry, and 2nd in rushing TDs without Henry (6'3, 247 lbs.) who led the league with 2.21 yards AFTER contact.
The Ravens wanted to trade for him prior to their playoff run.
Not sure if others noticed but the team that the Chiefs beat in the Superbowl went out and signed Saquon Barkley to a large 3-year contract so they must strongly believe that adding a big RB is a key to beating KC.
Lamar spreads out a defense which opens up the running game but pairing him with a 6'3 247 lb. monster who led the league in yards AFTER contact???
This is a witch's brew that the league has never seen before.
When Howie Roseman sees the value of adding a top-tier RB talent in order to beat KC I mean, ya know? Pay attention.
This is a big signing in more ways than one IMHO.

This is an extreme example but I get a bit of a Randy Moss to the Pats feeling with Henry to the Ravens meaning a big-time player that some are getting down on (in Moss's case many were very down on regardless of what revisionist history some may attempt to spin) or feel is on the downside of their career who gets rejuvenated playing for a very good team and has a big-time year...on another note I don't know why anyone is judging this move as anything other than short-term one because it is a move designed to help the Ravens get over the hump in 2024.

Steelers homer here.

Derrick Henry will be closer to 31 than 30 when the season starts. Ravens can have him as the downturn will come/accelerate.
And DT and best run defender Cam Heyward will be 35 and missed time due to injury last year. The Bengals lost NT and best run defender DJ Reader to FA.
The Browns finished 'the best' in the division defending the run, 11th in the league (105.5 yards per game). The Ravens finished 2nd best in the division 14th in the league (109.4 yards per game). The Steelers finished 19th (115.1 yards per game). The Bengals finished 26th in the league (126.2 yards per game).
Patrick Queen struggled UNTIL the Ravens traded for Roquan Smith and then he excelled in pass coverage and rushing the QB. The Steelers noted his pass coverage strength when they signed him noting he is one of the few inside LBers who can run with TEs. He was signed for Njoku and Mark Andrews, a wise signing before Derrick Henry was signed.
We'll see how much he has left in the tank. I think it was a big acquisition that will have an impact on more than the regular season.

Henry is easily the best acquisition in the division so far. Not sure if the doubters actually watched him play last season. No other RB was hit behind the LOS more than Henry, and yet he still led the league with yards after first contact per rush. He also clocked the 7th fastest run last season. Him and Lamar running RPO's is going to be fun to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread