What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bob McGinn's first-round NFL mock draft (1 Viewer)

Donnybrook

Footballguy
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/bob-mcginns-first-round-nfl-mock-draft-b99264770z1-258398211.html

1. HOUSTON TEXANS: Jadeveon Clowney, OLB, South Carolina

Clowney played DE but would generally stand up as an OLB in the Texans' 3-4 defense. Secured 14 of 21 votes as draft's best player in Journal Sentinel poll of 21 national-oriented personnel people.

2. ST. LOUIS RAMS-a: Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M

Matthews isn't as highly regarded as Greg Robinson. However, he should be more ready to play, and coach Jeff Fisher coached his father, Bruce, for nine years in Tennessee.

3. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Beginning to look as if troubled WR Justin Blackmon might not play at all in 2015 because of NFL suspension. Cecil Shorts is Jaguars' only WR of note. GM David Caldwell might trade up late into first round for QB.

4. CLEVELAND BROWNS: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

Browns think more of QB Brian Hoyer than most. New GM Ray Farmer opens with Evans, who should be an effective counterpoint to WR Josh Gordon.

5. OAKLAND RAIDERS: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo

Third-year GM Reggie McKenzie, under considerable pressure from owner Mark Davis, resists taking a quarterback in favor of the second-best defensive player in the draft. Mack can help the Raiders win now.

6. ATLANTA FALCONS: Greg Robinson, T, Auburn

The Falcons are trying to become more physical on both sides of the ball. Robinson is one of the more dominating collegiate run blockers in years.

7. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

Coach Lovie Smith has the power in Tampa and uses it to take the best three-technique DT in the draft. Donald could be better than Tommie Harris was for Smith in Chicago.

8. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

Vikings try again at the most vital position with Bridgewater, probably the most ready to go quarterback on the list. Playing next two seasons outdoors at TCF Bank Stadium worked against taking Johnny Manziel.

9. BUFFALO BILLS: Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan

GM Doug Whaley considers Eric Ebron and Zack Martin before opting for Lewan, who would start immediately at RT and give Buffalo a formidable line.

10. DETROIT LIONS: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

The Lions have been thin at CB for more than a decade. The current depth chart lists Chris Houston, Rashean Mathis, Darius Slay and Bill Bentley. Help is on the way.

11. TENNESSEE TITANS: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

The Titans need new-look defensive players to fill out their transition from 4-3 to 3-4 under new D-coordinator Ray Horton. Barr, the pass rusher, gets the nod over a QB or ILB.

12. NEW YORK GIANTS: Zack Martin, T-G, Notre Dame

Injuries and disappointing performances have left the Giants' once-proud O-line in disarray. Drafting RT Justin Pugh in Round 1 a year ago helped. Martin will help even more.

13. ST. LOUIS RAMS: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

Some teams might want Manziel more than the Rams. But as a dome team with a quarterback, Sam Bradford, wearing out his welcome, selecting Manziel makes a lot of sense.

14. SAN FRANCISCO (from Chicago): Odell Beckham, WR, Louisiana State

Projected trade in which the 49ers, with six of the top 100 picks, deal several to the Bears after Aaron Donald, the Bears' obvious target, was taken early. 49ers GM Trent Baalke wants Beckham, possibly the best deep threat in the draft, to augment Anquan Boldin. Michael Crabtree will be entering the final year of his contract.

15. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

CB Ike Taylor is 34. Others on the cornerback depth chart are William Gay, Cortez Allen and Brice McCain. It's a position of dire need.

16. DALLAS COWBOYS: Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

The Cowboys were beyond hopeless on defense in 2013. They need a massive influx of talent, and Shazier has more of it (plus a better record of durability) than C.J. Mosley.

17. BALTIMORE RAVENS: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

The Ravens already added veteran Owen Daniels to pair with Dennis Pitta at tight end. Now they take Ebron to flex all over the formation and ease the pressure on Torrey Smith outside.

18. NEW YORK JETS: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

The Jets signed WR Eric Decker from Denver but he's not a real No. 1. Diminutive Jeremy Kerley led the Jets in receiving yards with a scant 523 last year, and the return game was below average. Cooks can help there, too.

19. MIAMI DOLPHINS: Ja'Wuan James, T, Tennessee

Desperate? You talk about desperate...new GM Dennis Hickey has Lions retread Jason Fox No. 1 at RT. James gets the nod over Alabama T Cyrus Kouandjio, who is off multiple team draft boards (knee).

20. ARIZONA CARDINALS: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida

GM Steve Keim could use a safety, an outside linebacker and an interior defensive lineman. When Carson Palmer (34) and Drew Stanton are at quarterback, taking Bortles and allowing him to watch for a year or two makes too much sense.

21. GREEN BAY PACKERS: C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama

The Packers need a safety but can't pass on Mosley, who would make it this far only if teams have reservations about his injury history. GM Ted Thompson seeks a safety (does he trade up?) a bit later.

22. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: Marqise Lee, WR, Southern California

One of the capable cornerbacks might fall here. Instead, coach Chip Kelly and GM Howie Roseman draft someone they hope can replace DeSean Jackson.

23. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

WR Dwayne Bowe enters his eighth season and Donnie Avery is a marginal No. 2. Matthews provides the senior steadiness and size that should play well at Arrowhead.

24. CINCINNATI BENGALS: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

The Bengals entertain SS Calvin Pryor but opt for Fuller at cornerback. Leon Hall is coming off his second Achilles injury, backups Terence Newman and Pacman Jones are aging, and Dre Kirkpatrick is lingering near the bust line.

25. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: Jason Verrett, CB, Texas Christian

The Chargers also are looking for defensive line reinforcement. They can get that later. After the first five cornerbacks go, it's basically a graveyard at cornerback.

26. CLEVELAND BROWNS-b: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

Carr might go top 10. Carr might go second round. As the wild card, Carr's odyssey ends with a call from Farmer to compete with Hoyer.

27. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

The Saints would like a stretch-the-field receiver. With no one of that ilk short of Indiana's Cody Latimer remaining, Roby arrives with talent and problems.

28. CAROLINA PANTHERS: Joel Bitonio, T, Nevada

The Panthers dispatched coach Ron Rivera for a personal interview with Bitonio last month. With LT Jordan Gross having retired, the Panthers' depth chart shows third-year free agent Nate Chandler listed No. 1. Help!

29. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

The Patriots have no voids in their lineup. Bill Belichick has been grab-bagging too long in the back end.

30. CHICAGO BEARS (from San Francisco): Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

Projected trade finds GM Phil Emery acquiring a player he probably would have entertained at No. 14. The Bears' last top-notch safety was Mike Brown.

31. DENVER BRONCOS: Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State

You can never have enough pass rushers. That's what Lawrence does, either from a two- or three-point stance.

32. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota

Coach Pete Carroll loves to get after the quarterback. He also has gambled many times in the past on players with character flaws.

a – From Washington in March 9, 2012, trade of draft choices in which the Redskins selected QB Robert Griffin III; b – From Indianapolis in Sept, 18, 2013, trade for RB Trent Richardson.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/bob-mcginns-first-round-nfl-mock-draft-b99264770z1-258398211.html#ixzz3164H0CCj
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

Really don't see Vikings taking Bridgewater at 8. Feel like they would trade down and get him.

Big drop for Ha-Ha...also I think that is the highest I have seen Jordan Matthews go (not knocking it, as I have heard nothing but good about him).

Rams will trade down and take Matthews, but I'm not sure he's the pick at #2, though.

And stop it with the Manziel to the Rams rumors. Not happening.

McGinn is decent for these things...he has several scouts he trusts that I believe he draws his info from.

If the Eagles take Lee with Ha Ha still on the board at 22 I will be looking for a new TV tonight after the remote goes flying through the old TV.

Rams will trade down and take Matthews, but I'm not sure he's the pick at #2, though.

McGinn has better sources than just about any other reporter in the business. That doesn't mean Manziel is going to the Rams, but if McGinn thinks it's a likely pick, I guarantee it's a lot more likely than you think.

If the Bears can pull off trading down 16 slots and still getting a top 2 safety, I'd be ecstatic

Donnybrook said:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/bob-mcginns-first-round-nfl-mock-draft-b99264770z1-258398211.html

3. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Beginning to look as if troubled WR Justin Blackmon might not play at all in 2015 because of NFL suspension. Cecil Shorts is Jaguars' only WR of note. GM David Caldwell might trade up late into first round for QB.
Does he mean Blackmon wont play in 2015 or 2014?!
Just getting ahead of the curve.

McGinn has better sources than just about any other reporter in the business. That doesn't mean Manziel is going to the Rams, but if McGinn thinks it's a likely pick, I guarantee it's a lot more likely than you think.
Not sure about better sources...but he sticks with scouts (and sometimes relies too heavily on them). In addition, team scouts and front office people tend to throw a lot of crap out there at this time of year (same with agents).

Id probably still trust the scouts before listening to a GM or an agent of course.

Not sure about better sources...but he sticks with scouts (and sometimes relies too heavily on them). In addition, team scouts and front office people tend to throw a lot of crap out there at this time of year (same with agents).

Id probably still trust the scouts before listening to a GM or an agent of course.
Not sure where you're going with this. McGinn has been doing this for 30-40 years. His network of sources in the NFL is very large, and well placed. They are GMs, scouts and coaches throughout the league. The info that he gets is generally very good, because he has a long history of providing them with anonymity.

I think of it like this. The NFL draft is the best market we have for determining a players value. But it's far from perfect. Owners get involved. GMs and coaches without job security act in peculiar ways. What McGinn provides is a look inside of what a handful of scouts and or GMs think about a player.

Not sure where you're going with this. McGinn has been doing this for 30-40 years. His network of sources in the NFL is very large, and well placed. They are GMs, scouts and coaches throughout the league. The info that he gets is generally very good, because he has a long history of providing them with anonymity.

I think of it like this. The NFL draft is the best market we have for determining a players value. But it's far from perfect. Owners get involved. GMs and coaches without job security act in peculiar ways. What McGinn provides is a look inside of what a handful of scouts and or GMs think about a player.
Just saying he often relies on scouts for many of his articles.

At times it makes him come off as a nitpicky writer (especially when the players proves the scouts wrong).

I think the draft, like college recruiting, is a very imperfect science.

But mainly my point was that I like much of what McGinn does...but often he gets too hung up on what his scout buddies are saying.

Users who are viewing this thread