What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boston area FBG's.... (1 Viewer)

Parmcat

Canada: Beer, Bacon and Beavers
I have family in Maine, in the Kittery/York Beach area,, and travel there on a regular basis. I have never spent any time in Boston though. We are going again in Aug to see the family. We will have 2 full days that we could do Boston.

I know it is not a lot of time, but I am wondering, besides Fenway park, what are a few must do's for family of 4 (2 boys 13 and 10)?

Also, I assume hotels and parking will be expensive, as every big city is.

I have read about the city pass, but not too sure if 2 days will be worth it.

Thanks in advance!

Parm

Are you/the kids into history? Tons of stuff to do in Boston with the Freedom Trail, Bunker Hill/Constitution, Faneuil Hill, etc. The NE Aquarium is definitely an option.

Boston Duck Tours are a good way to see and learn about quite a bit of the city, if you choose not to do the 2-day pass.

The Museum of Science is not far from the downtown area.

Boston is a pretty easy walking city. You can easily get around to a lot of different places.

Depending on where you plan on staying, you might be better off parking outside the city and coming in on the MBTA (aka the "T").

Are you/the kids into history? Tons of stuff to do in Boston with the Freedom Trail, Bunker Hill/Constitution, Faneuil Hill, etc. The NE Aquarium is definitely an option.

Boston Duck Tours are a good way to see and learn about quite a bit of the city, if you choose not to do the 2-day pass.

Boston is a pretty easy walking city. You can easily get around to a lot of different places.

Depending on where you plan on staying, you might be better off parking outside the city and coming in on the MBTA (aka the "T").
Yup - this.Italian Dinner in the North End is an experience.

Dunn seems to have the list and I agree with the North End too (great Italian coffee, ice cream and pastry shops for the kids too.

I will add a trip up to Salem to the Witch Museum is a not bad ride and is fun for the kids, if you're headed to Maine or coming from that's on the way.

And I would also add in Boston a visit to the USS Constitution.

Also there are whale sighting tours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunn's list is spot on.

Your 10 year old would also love the Children's Museum. I haven't been there recently to remember if a 13 would still enjoy it.

The science museum is great for all ages.

There's a good island ferry tour to some of the old forts in the harbor - someone else will remember the name

the museum of science is fun for adults. And they have a unique imax theater that plays regular movies for when the kids are wiped at the end of the day. There's a t stop right there, so you can get back to wherever you're going.

Not far away - but dont try to walk it from the science museum - Fanieul hall is a good spot for some open air shopping, and you're walking distance to the north end.

the aquarium is fun too and personally I would pick that over something like the constitution, but it depends how museumy your family is.

If you want to do a tour, the duck tours are still the gold standard. Make sure to book your tickets in advance, and its pricey, but its a fun tour in an old amphibious assault vehicle and they go into the charles river. If you want to do more walking, you can walk the freedom trail without a tour guide (they have audio tours if you want). Lots of history, and you end up walking by boston common. Speaking of which, that's a fun stop, too, and they have swan boats if you want to do the paddleboat thing.

Nothing wrong with the childrends museum but there's enough stuff to do that I might pass on it for my thirteen year old.

The beaches aren't good and you're closer to them in maine than boston, but you can walk along the charles, and there's a wide jogging path and some park area so you can check out the girls running/biking/rollerblading/laying out, watch random kids play softball on your left while people on sailboats pass you on the right, and there's vendors along with way with ice cream and hot dogs and such. and the nice thing is that it walks right up to the museum of science, and goes almost all the way to fenway (although that's miles of walking).

Speaking of fenway, nothing wromg with catching a ballgame, and they suck right now so tickets might actually be reasonable. If they've never gone, its something they can brag about at school.

If I had two days, I would probably stay in copley square, do the charles river esplinade and science museum and finish with an imax movie and some dinner in the north end on the first day, and then do a mellower day starting with a morning duck tour and heading to fenway the second day. But that's just me.

bostonfred gave you lots of good info, Parm. If it were me, I'd save the museums either for a rainy day or for night time (e.g., IMAX and the Planetarium both have shows that run fairly late at night).

Boston is definitely a walking city... you do not want to be driving around very much, especially if you aren't familiar with all the roads and one-way streets, but you can walk from the Boston Gardens to Faneuil Hall in probably less than 30 minutes, so there's lots to see and do by hoofing it.

I would add a walk through the Boston Gardens (across the street from the Common) to the list of attractions. There are lots of old, interesting trees and the groundskeepers keep fresh flowers going all the time, so it's usually a pretty walk. the kids would like the swan boats there, too.

Faneuil Hall is good... lots of sidewalk entertainment acts of varying sorts to gawk at, along with lots of open air and closed-in shopping.

Duck tours are really popular... book that in advance if you want to do that. But they're a hoot and you get to see Boston from the Charles River that way, too.

I would stay in Back Bay like fred said... Fairmont Copley Plaza hotel is my personal favorite, and that's right at Copley Square.

Lots of great Italian food in the North End and lots of great see-food pretty much anywhere else.

The lists are right on so far, here is my :2cents: having grown up a Ma##hole on the south shore (Hingham). An just came back from doing a visit to Nana and Grandpa (Hanover) over the 4th. Did the Duck tour it was spectacular. My mom got tix through Groupon, so you may want to check there. We also did a little trip out to Lexington and Concord to see the start of the Revolution stuff. There is a little bus tour there too, hits all the highlights, and if you go early in the day, you can get on and off the buses if you want to do some more investigating at the sites.

The others to add to the list the Tea Party ship and the USS Constitution. I think the Constitution is free and a good tour by active US Navy sailors. The Tea Party ship is another good quick tour and kids love being able to toss boxes of Tea into the harbor.

The Children's museum is awesome. If you have younger kids there may be nothing better, especially if you have weather issues.

Ask away on other questions.

All great advice, but I think 13 is way too old for the Children's Museum. 10 might be about the limit.

Harvard Square is kind of cool, and Havard's anthropology museum, the Peabody is a hidden gem.

And if you're short on time, forget about Lexingon & Concord. I live here... Good place to live; lousy place to visit. Stick to what I said above.

Admit it... even you guys that live here get sick of this accent right? I think my ears were actually bleeding by the end of the day yesterday. .. and I am from New Jersey so I know bad accents.

Many years ago, I took some visitors to the Museum of Science. It was just bad luck but they did not have a good choice of IMAX films that weekend and we were in time to see the worst one on the list only. I got tix anyway but the visitors demanded to walk out after 5 minutes because they hated the subject matter. That was my worst experience as a Boston host. :hot:

With that being said, MOS is the best place to see IMAX and it has much better films now. I do second bostonfred's suggestion. Children's Museum is good too for kids.

http://www.mos.org/imax

For art lovers, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and Museum of Fine Arts (free on Wed nights).

And if you're short on time, forget about Lexingon & Concord. I live here... Good place to live; lousy place to visit. Stick to what I said above.
Agreed. Maybe a side trip for some swimming at Walden Pond but not if you only have 2 days?

Self guided iPod tours:

http://www.audisseyguides.com/tour-overview-6/ (Swan Boat ride in Frog Pond $3 adults, $1.5 kids age 2-15)

http://www.audisseyguides.com/boston-the-harborwalk/

http://www.audisseyguides.com/boston-the-fort-point-channel-neighborhood/

Also the 2.5 mile Freedom Trail - I usually stop at the North End for dinner then Mike's Pastry (cannolis)

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Getting around on the T (Boston subway if you get tired from the walking) and the Charlie Card discount book

http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/CharlieCard_Discount_Book/.

There is $9 early bird discount (online only) or Groupon deals for Duck Tours.

Definitely the Freedom Trail and Museum of Science.

The Science Museum is lots of fun. Don't miss the Omni Theatre there and the planetarium. You can very easily kill a day there. But we usually only go on a rainy day. If tomorrow is like today, I wouldn't want to be inside.

Yeah its been perfect weather so far. I kid about Boston but it's a great city. Fun vibe and a ton of stuff to do for all ages. I prefer it to philly and it's much cleaner than New York.

Kids are having a blast so that is really all that matters.

i was at the Tom Petty concert tonight at Fenway Paaak....i started talking to this guy and he says he`s from Nashville ...he wanted to see Petty in the famous Fenway so he made the trip...he said he loves Boston ...everyone has been really cool to him...i thought that was nice

Heading to Boston next Sunday. Orientation for my new gig. Red Sox are in town vs. the Orioles on Monday/Tuesday. May go Tuesday night. Hope we get some free time - love Boston and haven't been in 5+ years.

Ok - I have to admit that I love that city. And the weather was perfect the entire time we were there so that helped obviously.

The Science Musuem was great. We find it about the same in terms of stuff to do as Liberty Science, and maybe not quit as completely awesome as the Franklin Institute, but it is better than just about every other place we have been to.

The MIT Musuem was entertaining as hell. If my oldest goes there for college I'm chalking that up as a dad-win.

I went to a pizza place in Boston named Chicago pizza that served new york style pizza. I saw the Matrix. The pizza was ok.

Some solid New England wimmins to see walking around when the sun is out. On the flip side, the guys all dress alike. They were almost like clones. It was weird.

Driving around the city is easy. I don't know why people think it's hard. Philly is harder. Signage could be a little better simply because of how some turns jump on you really quick.

The Acquarium was solid. Better than Virginia, but not better than Baltimore.

All the history stuff all over the place is awesome obviously.

Really fun city. It will be part of our regular rotation for long weekend trips. The accent sucks still, but I can get by. I just assume that lobstaaaah is a different dish than I am accustomed to seeing in my part of the world where the letter R is actually part of the alphabet.

Hello again!

I started this thread last year as we were going to go to Boston for a couple of days, but it ended up only being a night o see the Red Sox.

We are returning to visit family in Maine the end of Aug, and want to spend 2 nights on our way home in Boston, with the kids, and see some of the cool sites noted in this thread!

My question now is this....We want to stay in Copley Square, but I can't find a hotel under 250.00 a night. Add in the 45.00/night for parking, That is a dear price to stay for 3 days. (plus the 20%+ exchange right now)

What would be the next best option, as to where to stay, if Copley Square is not in the cards. I would still want to be as close to that area as I could, and am not opposed to use the subway if we have to.

Thanks in advance!

Parm

Don't get a hotel. Go to airbnb and find an apartment to rent. Here is one example of a 3 br in a great neighborhood

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2642323?checkin=08%2F14%2F2015&checkout=08%2F16%2F2015&guests=3&s=qA7M

Leave the car at a train stop (in this case alewife) and grab it at the end of your stay

If you can get by with 2br even more options.

There are a few things unique to Boston. Focus on those. Here are things not unique:

Aquarium, Faneuil Hall, Children's Museum, MFA, Top of the Hub

And some that are unique:

USs Constitution, Freedom Trail, Isabella Stewart Gardener museum, Fenway, Harvard Sq, Mapparium, MIT museum, biking the Charles, Duck Boat tour, Harbor Islands

Good luck!

Heading there for our 3rd time in a few weeks. Looking forward to checking out more of the North End, which we only discovered on our last day when we went last time.

Hello again!

I started this thread last year as we were going to go to Boston for a couple of days, but it ended up only being a night o see the Red Sox.

We are returning to visit family in Maine the end of Aug, and want to spend 2 nights on our way home in Boston, with the kids, and see some of the cool sites noted in this thread!

My question now is this....We want to stay in Copley Square, but I can't find a hotel under 250.00 a night. Add in the 45.00/night for parking, That is a dear price to stay for 3 days. (plus the 20%+ exchange right now)

What would be the next best option, as to where to stay, if Copley Square is not in the cards. I would still want to be as close to that area as I could, and am not opposed to use the subway if we have to.

Thanks in advance!

Parm
Bumpage

I don't usually get hotels in Boston... only on special occasions, but when I do, I stay at the Fairmont Copley Plaza. Not the most expensive place in the city, but imo, it is the classiest and it has the best location. July/August is peak tourist season in the city here.... hotels are normally sold out from what I'm told... you won't find any bargains. Especially not around a prime location like Copley Square.

I suppose you could check around Cambridge... as someone pointed out Airbnb might be worth a shot. I know if you want to stay out like in the Waltham area and then take a friggin' bus in, your odds of finding something in the $250 range go up. There is a Holiday Inn Express there... be sure to check into whether they have any shuttles to/from any T-stops... or possibly there may be a shuttle to a commuter rail. But you should be under $250 per night there.

And if you want to rent a car and drive to Alewife or something then take the Red Line in the morning, you could always stay somewhere like the beautiful Bedford Plaza Hotel. I'm sure you can get in under $250 per night there. (Tongue only halfway in cheek with this brainstorm).

Hello again!

Thanks in advance!

Parm
Bumpage
I'm in Boston each week for work. You could pay a lot less at a decent hotel and just be a short 20min uber ride away from where you want to stay (rush hour = 30-40min).

I'm over in Chelsea at $169/night right now w/ free parking. Search for places near the airport also. Uber trip to back bay is ~$15; blue line is near the airport. Or go cheaper and catch the shuttle from the airport to backbay area. If you get an uber trip from near the airport they will tack on a $9 airport fee.

Across the river in cambridge you can get under $200/night most of the time also.

The Fairmont Copley is a really solid place. Like a really proper old lady. ;) I stayed there for a few days this spring while I was in town for a conference. Pricey, but lovely. Can't really beat the location and the people watching on nearby Newbury St. There was a nice little farmers' market on Friday that had lots of fresh produce and goods from New England.

If you're travelling with kiddos, I would think you don't want to drop that kind of cash just for a hotel room. Better to spend on doing things than where you'll sleep. Check out the subway lines and look for something with an easy connection.

Parmcat, what nights you in town? You don't like the airbnb option? You will save big simply by making your own breakfast!

Parmcat, what nights you in town? You don't like the airbnb option? You will save big simply by making your own breakfast!
Your link, for 2 nights costs almost 1000.00

$359CAD x 2 nights $719CAD Cleaning fee $131CAD Service fee $98CAD Total $948CAD

Just a tad steep...lol

I have family in Maine, in the Kittery/York Beach area,, and travel there on a regular basis. I have never spent any time in Boston though. We are going again in Aug to see the family. We will have 2 full days that we could do Boston.

I know it is not a lot of time, but I am wondering, besides Fenway park, what are a few must do's for family of 4 (2 boys 13 and 10)?

Also, I assume hotels and parking will be expensive, as every big city is.

I have read about the city pass, but not too sure if 2 days will be worth it.

Thanks in advance!

Parm
Oh, I just re-read this.... you're driving anyhow... no rental car needed... that opens LOTS of opportunities for you. Seriously... stay farther out, close to Route 2.... drive into Alewife in the morning, $7 to park all day long, take the Red Line into the city. And that Bedford Plaza Hotel is worth checking out... I think it's clean and entirely suitable; you;ll just need to drive to everything you want to do from there. But if you have a car, so what. They have free underground parking. That commute to Alewife in the morning may seem bad, but this time of year lots of people are on vacation and it's going to go much more easily in July/August than during the school year. :2cents:

Self guided iPod tours:

http://www.audisseyguides.com/tour-overview-6/ (Swan Boat ride in Frog Pond $3 adults, $1.5 kids age 2-15)

http://www.audisseyguides.com/boston-the-harborwalk/

http://www.audisseyguides.com/boston-the-fort-point-channel-neighborhood/

Also the 2.5 mile Freedom Trail - I usually stop at the North End for dinner then Mike's Pastry (cannolis)

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Getting around on the T (Boston subway if you get tired from the walking) and the Charlie Card discount book

http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/CharlieCard_Discount_Book/.

There is $9 early bird discount (online only) or Groupon deals for Duck Tours.
:blackdot:

In Boston through Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread