What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall asks to be traded from Broncos (1 Viewer)

Side note...does this mean that Schefter has real sources and isn't just the product of NFL Network?

If the broncos can get a couple more high draft picks out of this the organization is going to be in very good shape for a very long time.
I don't agree with this. It's not as if they are trading average players...they are trading pro-bowl players for picks...those picks still need to work out and what are the chances that they become pro-bowl players in XX number of years down the line. Not too good IMO.

I'm surprised we haven't heard the Redskins get in the Marshall sweepstakes.
They are too busy trying to figure out where they can get a QB. Can someone get Jerry Jones drunk so he can offer up a sweet deal for Marshall?

I thought I read somewhere that after the Haynesworth deal they were pretty much right up against the cap, and that was before signing their rookie class.One team that I think should try to get Marshall is Detroit. They could kind of mimic what the Cardinals have on offense and they could probably get Marshall for their 2nd rounder plus some other minor pick(5th?) something like that could really create some buzz in Detroit and Calvin/Marshall would arguably be the best WR combo in the NFL and that could really ease the development of Stafford(or rejuvenation of Culpepper) I mean, if you are Detroit, what have you got to lose?

I thought I read somewhere that after the Haynesworth deal they were pretty much right up against the cap, and that was before signing their rookie class.One team that I think should try to get Marshall is Detroit. They could kind of mimic what the Cardinals have on offense and they could probably get Marshall for their 2nd rounder plus some other minor pick(5th?) something like that could really create some buzz in Detroit and Calvin/Marshall would arguably be the best WR combo in the NFL and that could really ease the development of Stafford(or rejuvenation of Culpepper) I mean, if you are Detroit, what have you got to lose?
You must be a Packers fan.

From ESPN.com [w/my added BOLD]:

' "Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, confirmed that to ESPN's Michael Smith on Tuesday: "There was a meeting with Mr. Bowlen and Brandon did ask to be traded. He was told by ownership that the team would do everything in its power to accommodate those wishes. We do feel that a change of scenery is not only important but necessary." '

So the Broncos are going to accommodate. :thumbup: This flies in the face of Peter King's report from earlier this morning.

If the broncos can get a couple more high draft picks out of this the organization is going to be in very good shape for a very long time.
I don't agree with this. It's not as if they are trading average players...they are trading pro-bowl players for picks...those picks still need to work out and what are the chances that they become pro-bowl players in XX number of years down the line. Not too good IMO.
gotta agree with Banger here........IF they can hit on the draft picks, otherwise not good.

I don't get it.According to the Baltimore Sun, the Ravens are doing their homework on Marshall.

I don't get it.According to the Baltimore Sun, the Ravens are doing their homework on Marshall.
With as many holes as Detroit has, trading for Marshall would not be an ideal move.

Are you kidding? Dolphins/Rams would both be great fits for him though.
I see very little chance that Parcells makes a move for Marshall. If they wanted to pay a WR a ton of cash, and make a trade to get him, they would have made a play for Boldin who is at least as good of a player, wants to play in Miami, and brings far less mental deficiencies to the roster. The Fins seem to be pretty content to go with Ginn/Camarillo/Bess as their top 3. Apparently, Camarillo is already running at full speed and looking good, and Ginn is starting to make some strides as an NFL WR. Bess is a very solid slot guy. They used a 3 and 4 to draft Turner and Hartline in the draft.I am not saying that Marshall is not a humongous upgrade over these guys, but I think he brings way too much baggage with him for Parcells to give up precious picks, and a huge salary.Marshall seems like he should be a Raider to me, but I could see the Jets making a move to get him. That would put Marshall, T.O., Lee Evans, Moss and Welker all in the AFC East. Not cool if you play in the Miami secondary.Sorry for the hijack. Carry on...

From ESPN.com [w/my added BOLD]:

' "Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, confirmed that to ESPN's Michael Smith on Tuesday: "There was a meeting with Mr. Bowlen and Brandon did ask to be traded. He was told by ownership that the team would do everything in its power to accommodate those wishes. We do feel that a change of scenery is not only important but necessary." '

So the Broncos are going to accommodate. :confused: This flies in the face of Peter King's report from earlier this morning.
Imagine that...

I said months ago that the Broncos should trade that head-case Marshall and be done with him and his nonsense, as it is only a matter of time before he does something really stupid again and Goodell is forced to bring the hammer down on him, but the two best offensive players wanting out of Denver simply doesn't make McDaniel or the new regime in Denver look good at all.

I have a feeling that Pat Bowlen is gonna be frustrated as hell in two years when he has to fire his head coach who went 11-21 and left his team in ruins. He'll be longing for those days when he had a franchise QB and a Super Bowl-winning head coach who had proved he could win big when he had the right pieces in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon To The Browns?Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2009, 10:09 p.m. EDTThe rumor mill continues to churn regarding potential destinations for Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall.Last night, we heard that the Ravens might be interested. Tonight, we’re hearing rumblings of Brandon possibly being traded to the Browns.The package would include, per the rumor, Browns kick returner/receiver Josh Cribbs and one or more draft picks.Such a move also would likely put Braylon Edwards in play for a trade elsewhere.Maybe, in the end, to Baltimore?
Why not just swap Braylon for Marshall?

Brandon To The Browns?Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2009, 10:09 p.m. EDTThe rumor mill continues to churn regarding potential destinations for Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall.Last night, we heard that the Ravens might be interested. Tonight, we’re hearing rumblings of Brandon possibly being traded to the Browns.The package would include, per the rumor, Browns kick returner/receiver Josh Cribbs and one or more draft picks.Such a move also would likely put Braylon Edwards in play for a trade elsewhere.Maybe, in the end, to Baltimore?
that would make a lot more sense.Cribbs and 2nd or 3rd pick just doesn't seem like enough IMO. Although that CLE 2nd rounder could be somewhere in the mid to late 30's range.I'm also not sure how well Marshall would get along with Mangini.

Sounds to me like Marshall expects his numbers to drop, which affects his options in free agency, which means he wants to be locked up now or traded to a team that will either lock him up or make his numbers look good for free agency. If he expected another huge year (with Cutler at the helm, for example) he might have been tempted to test the waters after the season.

The Broncos might be happy with Royal as a #1 and plan to run the ball more anyway. I don't have a clue where he'd go, though. But with talents like Boldin and Marshall available, teams have no excuses if they need a wideout.

Marshall's official website: http://www.bmarshall15.com/blog/?p=142#more-142

posted yesterday afternoon:

To whom it may concern. Life is filled with change, and where I am in my life now change is probably best. It’s hard leaving an organization ran by one of the best owners in all of sports, and someone who’s been there for me through my ups and downs. The hardest thing was hearing Mr. B wish me luck in the future, but we both came to the conclusion that this is probably the best thing for me to grow on and off the field.

I thank the Denver fans who embraced my emotion and play on the field and showing me love every time I step outside my door.

What in Schwarz's history makes you think that he believes you need (not only one but) two top WRs to win?If this were a player that plays in the trenches I could buy it but each NE and TEN did not go get WRs until they had exceptional trenches. It seems they understand that either line is paramount to an outside threat.

I think with his off-field issues and injury, Marshall's value is probably not as high as he thinks it is.

Bowlen may think this way and is actually setting Marshall up for contract negotiations.

Some teams make some offers, and the Broncos either like them or spin those offers as evidence to Marshall that he has overestimated his value in the market.

Then Denver and Marshall make nice and get a contract reworked before the start of the season.

BTW, I think McDaniels isn't a big part of this story. As far as I know, Marshall hasn't been critical of McDaniels. Cutler, on the other hand... So I think it's two separate situations. McDaniels has been silent on this issue except to say he looks forward to having Brandon in camp. So I think he is (wisely) leaving it as a front-office issue, not his.

Ghost Rider said:
I have a feeling that Pat Bowlen is gonna be frustrated as hell in two years when he has to fire his head coach who went 11-21 and left his team in ruins. He'll be longing for those days when he had a franchise QB and a Super Bowl-winning head coach who had proved he could win big when he had the right pieces in place.
:unsure: +1As a season ticket holder, I am very ticked off with the franchise right now. Their ability to compete at an elite level has been steadily eroding over the past few years, and now it seems like the wheels are coming off.I have a feeling my season tix are going to be next to worthless at the midpoint of this season...

massraider said:
Why not trade for Marshall and keep Braylon? Just like that the Browns would have one of the 3 best WR combos in the league, maybe the best if they both can play like they did in 07'.Actually 2007 would be what that combo would remind me of, Marshall could fill both the Winslow and Jurevicius roles and Edwards could go back to being a jump ball/deep threat guy with Robiskie in the slot. If Quinn is anywhere near the QB he's supposed to be, that could be an explosive passing game.Maybe Cribbs a 2nd and a 5th for Marshall?

Neil Beaufort Zod said:
But with talents like Boldin and Marshall available, teams have no excuses if they need a wideout.
how about the salary cap? team chemistry? no picks to trade? no players worth trading? all valid excuses.

Native said:
Come on Dolphins, hes the guy we need.
I disagree. This is a good, young team and bringing a guy like this who doesnt follow the rules will not be good for morale, and will set a bad examples for the young players.if I was a GM, the only way I'd pick him up is if I had a veteran team who have enough leadership in the dresssing room that they can deal with the possible distractions a guy like him will bring.

This is absolutely crazy...

The Broncos offense could have been:

QB - Cutler - 26 yo

RB - Moreno - 21 yo

WR - Marshall - 24 yo

WR - Royal - 22 yo

TE - Scheffler - 26 yo

LT - Clady - 22 yo

LG - Hamilton - 31 yo

C - Weigmann - 35 yo

RG - Kuper - 26 yo

RT - Harris - 24 yo

Aside from a little age on the interior of the oline, this could have been a great young offense to build this team around and keep them competitive for the next 5-8 years. I would be sick to my stomach as a Broncos fan.

The day after reports surfaced that he had asked to be traded, Brandon Marshall is saying goodbye to Denver.

On his personal blog under a post entitled "Clearing the Air," the wide receiver wrote: "To whom it may concern. Life is filled with change, and where I am in my life now change is probably best. It?s hard leaving an organization ran by one of the best owners in all of sports, and someone who?s been there for me through my ups and downs. The hardest thing was hearing Mr. B wish me luck in the future, but we both came to the conclusion that this is probably the best thing for me to grow on and off the field. I thank the Denver fans who embraced my emotion and play on the field and showing me love every time I step outside my door."

Ghost Rider said:
:P +1As a season ticket holder, I am very ticked off with the franchise right now. Their ability to compete at an elite level has been steadily eroding over the past few years, and now it seems like the wheels are coming off.

I have a feeling my season tix are going to be next to worthless at the midpoint of this season...
From what I know the waiting list for season tickets is ridiculously long, and the Broncos have sold out every game since the mid 1970s so I would not be too worried about season tickets losing value. Even if the Broncos went 0-16 we would still sell out every game.A google search provides this:

"Football-crazed Denver has made every Broncos game a sell-out since 1970. The team has struggled in recent years to sell all of the 8,400 club seat inventory where prices top out at $368 a seat. But for general seating, with prices averaging $64, there is a 24,000 person waiting list."

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/30/06nfl_...cos_308211.html

I think with his off-field issues and injury, Marshall's value is probably not as high as he thinks it is.
That's the problem. His stats say he is worth a big fat signing bonus and long term deal (2nd most receptions the last two seasons) to the Broncos or a 1st and a 3rd to another team. But the off the field stuff makes anyone interested in signing or acquiring Marshal leery. I doubt anyone comes in, guns a blazing, and offers a sweet heart deal to Denver for him. Some teams will sniff around and offer a 3rd and a 4th. Or a 3rd with escalators that could make it a 2, etc. But nobody is giving the 1, much less a 1 and a 3. So do the Broncos take a decent pick with an escalator clause and dump him just to dump him? I don't know...

That's the problem. His stats say he is worth a big fat signing bonus and long term deal (2nd most receptions the last two seasons) to the Broncos or a 1st and a 3rd to another team. But the off the field stuff makes anyone interested in signing or acquiring Marshal leery. I doubt anyone comes in, guns a blazing, and offers a sweet heart deal to Denver for him. Some teams will sniff around and offer a 3rd and a 4th. Or a 3rd with escalators that could make it a 2, etc. But nobody is giving the 1, much less a 1 and a 3. So do the Broncos take a decent pick with an escalator clause and dump him just to dump him? I don't know...
Denver just doesn't want to rework his contract right now and I agree that Marshall probably has unrealistic ideas of what he is worth. Can you blame Den for being leery of signing Marshall to big money with the issues in his past? Marshall is desperate to redo his contract now because he knows with Cutler gone he will not have as good a season as he has in the past.

Denver just doesn't want to rework his contract right now and I agree that Marshall probably has unrealistic ideas of what he is worth. Can you blame Den for being leery of signing Marshall to big money with the issues in his past? Marshall is desperate to redo his contract now because he knows with Cutler gone he will not have as good a season as he has in the past.
:blackdot:Denver should just sit tight and give him the Chad Johnson/Anquan Boldin treatment. I don't see teams lining up to give a fair deal for this guy considering his off-the-field issues and hip injury.

:banned:Denver should just sit tight and give him the Chad Johnson/Anquan Boldin treatment. I don't see teams lining up to give a fair deal for this guy considering his off-the-field issues and hip injury.
:goodposting:s Yup, I think the guy definitely has an unrealistic expectation of his value. I agree he wants to get a fat contract before the CBA is renegotiated.

:confused:Denver should just sit tight and give him the Chad Johnson/Anquan Boldin treatment. I don't see teams lining up to give a fair deal for this guy considering his off-the-field issues and hip injury.
:no:I doubt anyone offers a lot for the guy when a 1st and a 3rd would probably land Boldin or Edwards who don't have the off the field issues that Marshal has. Marshal is kidding himself if he thinks teams will be lining up when they can get an equally gifted, and troubled, player in Burress for nothing more than cash. He suits up this year for Denver and he is going to struggle to get to 1K yards with Orton behind center... He knows it...

On one hand, the players shouldn't be treated like slaves, regardless of what the NFL contract says. If a player wants out, so be it, he shouldn't be "owned".

On the other hand, there are better ways of going about this(spouting off to the media). And the player should expect a significant hit to the wallet/negative PR hit for a year or two as a "penalty", per se.

On one hand, the players shouldn't be treated like slaves, regardless of what the NFL contract says. If a player wants out, so be it, he shouldn't be "owned".On the other hand, there are better ways of going about this(spouting off to the media). And the player should expect a significant hit to the wallet/negative PR hit for a year or two as a "penalty", per se.
you don't believe in the sanctity of contracts?

On one hand, the players shouldn't be treated like slaves, regardless of what the NFL contract says. If a player wants out, so be it, he shouldn't be "owned".On the other hand, there are better ways of going about this(spouting off to the media). And the player should expect a significant hit to the wallet/negative PR hit for a year or two as a "penalty", per se.
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread